The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight)

+20
sportslover
kingraf
summerblues
temporary21
HM Murdock
It Must Be Love
CaledonianCraig
Johnyjeep
LuvSports!
banbrotam
Jahu
greengoblin
Aut0Gr4ph
barrystar
bogbrush
seanmichaels
Guest82
sirfredperry
Born Slippy
JuliusHMarx
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight) - Page 4 Empty US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight)

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:21 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight) - Page 4 Empty Re: US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight)

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:13 pm

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Murray is a reactive player though. Aggression kicks in only periodically and not enough. Very frustrating I know and I can't see that changing now
You make that sound like it's involuntary but it isn't (by the way, aggression to the box kicks in just after every losing point!).

Well in a way it is involuntary. He plays a style that suits him and has long been ingrained in his psyche. Trawl back over the years through reports and forums and I don't think he has ever been labelled an aggressive attacking player. He has had odd patches but is a counter-punching type player. I would say that style is what he mentally feels at ease with and so is most employed. He can do aggressive but not to the extent I'd say that he has ever been seen as an attacking player.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight) - Page 4 Empty Re: US Open Day 4 - Anyone coming to my Haase (or even Mahut) for a Knapp? (Everybody Wang Chung tonight)

Post by lags72 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:23 pm

temporary21 wrote:To be fair roger. Perhaps you'd like to volunteer for some day matches. ..  To be fair retirements through lack of fitness maybe but heatstroke  can hit anyonr

And to be fair to Roger, he has played (even though you seem not to have noticed) his fair share of day Slam matches over the years - not least in the searing heat of Melbourne Park.

I know this for sure because I was present myself for some of them. I particularly recall watching a match between Federer and young Aussie James Duckworth at the 2014 AO, when the mercury climbed over the 40c mark. Must confess .....as a mere spectator, I actually found conditions more of a struggle than either of the competitors did ....... Shocked so doubt I would have lasted on court for long !

More here .....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/australianopen/10570198/Australian-Open-2014-Super-cool-Roger-Federer-sees-of-the-challenge-of-James-Duckworth-in-round-one.html

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:29 pm

The it should be known that heatstroke is something that can happen to anyone, especially if you have a long match in the day, not just a straight setter.
Its a serious thing, not something to be derided for,
Not everyone can pick and choose their events with no worry about money and little worry about a long match
Some need to play a lot, in nasty conditions to actually earn money, its like having a go at someone whos poor for having a bad diet, as though its something they can control.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:31 pm

In any case, its THESE tournaments conditions that are up for debate, I imagine Roger may well get a day match, when he can assess whether guys retiring through heat isnt "good enough"...

Or if maybe its just massively hot and guys are (rightly) retiring to protect their health, remember Azarenka at the US open? Carted off in a wheelchair...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm

temporary21 wrote:

Not everyone can pick and choose their events with no worry about money and little worry about a long match

Hmm, well that's true. But it's also the story of professional sport. You are presumably referring here to lower-ranked players who need to battle hard if they are to work their way to the top of the tree ....?? In much the same way that someone like .....er .....a certain Roger Federer did many years ago.....?

Nobody gets helicoptered in to the Number One (or even number two ...) spot. And nobody who decides to play tennis for a living has a gun held to their head if they don't like the conditions.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:57 pm

Rolling Eyes not playing this game anymore.

Its a bit unfair I think for someone who no longer has to play a lot to deride guys for retiring, guys who have to play a lot more in nastier conditions HAVING gone through it himself.

This isnt the first time weve had many retirements at the US, its a long american hc season and those guys play tornies inbetween the usual ones too.

To suggest its just "not fit enough" is very unfair to them I think... and id think that no matter who said it, not just because its one certain player...

To less stupid matters... Cilic is being taken to a fifth set now...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 8:08 pm

temporary21 wrote:Rolling Eyes not playing this game anymore.

Opposing views are welcome here, and they often oppose significantly.

But it's a forum for debate, not a playground. I get the impression you don't realise (and quite possibly, you don't care anyway ..... which is fine by me) just how childish your use of this sort of phrase sounds temp.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 04 Sep 2015, 9:24 pm

Sock had cramps, not heatstroke, IIRC. Federer played Mayer in a Day match. Djokovic has gotten fitter. Fitness, especially in outdoor environments, plays an important role. Night matches have higher humidity, too. Heatstroke in US at night is also possible.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 9:46 pm

This is socks home slam, and he was in the match. He wouldnt retire unless it was serious, Sock also played quite a lot in recent times, including some doubles I think. A lack of preparation I thinks pretty unfair, the guys pretty fit it was just too much tennis he cant just gear up for the US open only...

This isnt really anything to do with Rogers ability in the heat, hes a different player, hes also got the years, and the money and the time to prep perfectly

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 04 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/03/jack-sock-carried-off-court-as-heat-and-humidity-take-toll-at-us-open   Yeah that looks a bit worse than some cramps.  The women's match have a heat policy in effect too so it's no surprise even very fit guys are having some trouble  especially if they're young

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4