The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PRO12 has new Managing Director and he isn't Irish :D :yahoo:

+19
Rory_Gallagher
PhilBB
ScarletSpiderman
marty2086
Chunky Norwich
SecretFly
Sin é
No 7&1/2
XR
Cardiff Dave
rodders
wayne
ME-109
thebandwagonsociety
profitius
Stone Motif
The Great Aukster
Marshes
LordDowlais
23 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

PRO12 has new Managing Director and he isn't Irish :D :yahoo: - Page 8 Empty PRO12 has new Managing Director and he isn't Irish :D :yahoo:

Post by Guest Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Or maybe, just maybe everyone decided to pitch their hat into the ring and see what happened

Are all teams eligible?

Well considering they were all asked to tender for it that would mean they were

Marty, because the criteria has never been made public, none of us will never know.

Sure if we had facts then we wouldn't have these conspiracy theories. Where would be the fun in that?

Back to top Go down

PRO12 has new Managing Director and he isn't Irish :D :yahoo: - Page 8 Empty Re: PRO12 has new Managing Director and he isn't Irish :D :yahoo:

Post by LordDowlais Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm

SecretFly wrote: Pro12 isn't that important.

That is exactly what is wrong with our league, because the Irish have that attitude towards it. You would rather play in the scraps from the table that the Franglos have thrown us and use the league as a development tool.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

PRO12 has new Managing Director and he isn't Irish :D :yahoo: - Page 8 Empty Re: PRO12 has new Managing Director and he isn't Irish :D :yahoo:

Post by marty2086 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I despair with this I really do.

OK 7&1/2, as an outsider to our league, do you think that us Welsh have a point about the IRFU paying both the players and Irish officials and all the CEO's of the provinces ect, then having the same officials that come under the same umbrella as the players et all, officiating those same players ?

No. I think it's a bit far fetched to be honest. If a ref supports Scarlets and Wales don't let them ref them as would be the same in any sport. Payment from the central body wouldn't overly bother me, it's just paper work. If you think Lacey is biased against such and such now it's unlikely a different name at the top of his wage slip will change that.

So it would not bother you if Wayne Barnes trained with Leicester, and all the Leicester players and Wayne Barnes got paid by the RFU, and then Wayne Barnes was put in charge of Saracens and Northampton which could decide who finishes in the playoffs as Leicester only need a point or two to catch Saracens would you be happy with that ? Because this is what we have to put up with. An official who is too close to the people he is supposed to be officiating and getting paid by the same people.

So it only matters when ALL the players are paid by the same organisation?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:22 pm

marty2086 wrote:So it only matters when ALL the players are paid by the same organisation?

Where have I said that ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:22 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

That is exactly what is wrong with our league, because the Irish have that attitude towards it. You would rather play in the scraps from the table that the Franglos have thrown us and use the league as a development tool.

Hold on, Fly's election as our spokesman has yet to ratified!

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:23 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:So it only matters when ALL the players are paid by the same organisation?

Where have I said that ?

'So it would not bother you if Wayne Barnes trained with Leicester, and all the Leicester players and Wayne Barnes got paid by the RFU'

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:24 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Where have I said that ?

'So it would not bother you if Wayne Barnes trained with Leicester, and all the Leicester players and Wayne Barnes got paid by the RFU'

That was just an example. Anyway, don't all the Irish players get paid by the IRFU ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:25 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:

OK. Fair enough point there that the Enlgish and French are strong, will good money and likely to try and increase this. Why on earth would a business want to become a charity to the Pro 12 to stop this? If they did surely BT would just come in with a massive money offer for the Pr 12 rights alone?

Because they know the Pro12 is rubbish. I'd love to see the viewing figures on sky. They must be awful.

They know a British & Irish League would be the greatest league in the world bar none.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:25 pm

Anyway, I'm done. Ta Ta.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:26 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

It ain't. It's nice to have it. But if it gets airs and graces about itself and begins to try to act like a National Union (or European Union) then I'll easily say 'stuff it'. You can quote me there, Lord Wink I ain't shy.
And we have plenty evidence that most high rollers in Welsh rugby think the very same thing as it was lots of them who threatened to leave it a short while ago, not us.

So again history comes home to roost - the Welsh put the middle finger up to Pro12 much more directly than the Irish ever have.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:27 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

OK. Fair enough point there that the Enlgish and French are strong, will good money and likely to try and increase this. Why on earth would a business want to become a charity to the Pro 12 to stop this? If they did surely BT would just come in with a massive money offer for the Pr 12 rights alone?

Because they know the Pro12 is rubbish. I'd love to see the viewing figures on sky. They must be awful.

They know a British & Irish League would be the greatest league in the world bar none.

Why? Because the Irish and English finally joined up?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:29 pm

SecretFly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It ain't.  It's nice to have it.  But if it gets airs and graces about itself and begins to try to act like a National Union (or European Union) then I'll easily say 'stuff it'.  You can quote me there, Lord Wink  I ain't shy.
And we have plenty evidence that most high rollers in Welsh rugby think the very same thing as it was lots of them who threatened to leave it a short while ago, not us.  

So again history comes home to roost - the Welsh put the middle finger up to Pro12 much more directly than the Irish ever have.

In fact it was everyone else who had to make changes because of the situation the Welsh helped create

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Hold on, Fly's election as our spokesman has yet to ratified!

I'd refuse the role.  Trying to keep DOD and Sin under the whip would be too tough for me.  Me nerves, they'd go.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:31 pm

Well Barnes does train with clubs he lives near for a start, as do all refs. They have that 2 way conversation and will work with any club who asks them to go through how they interpret the rules and what the refs have been told to look for that season, month, day. The payment as I say doesn't bother me. I would be delighted as a rival if Barnes was reffing as I think he's excellent and I'd know he would play it straight. That wouldn't change if he was paid by the RFU and Sarries also were owned by the RFU etc. If you don't trust the refs now and think they're biased against your team I doubt you'll change your opinion.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:32 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Why would it? You'd also have to factor in the loss of some money for Europe as that would clearly be of a lower value.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:36 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Why would it? You'd also have to factor in the loss of some money for Europe as that would clearly be of a lower value.

Who would lose money for Europe?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:36 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Well Barnes does train with clubs he lives near for a start, as do all refs. They have that 2 way conversation and will work with any club who asks them to go through how they interpret the rules and what the refs have been told to look for that season, month, day.

Nuff said as the saying goes. Lord knows this. I distinctly remember reading an article a few years ago where Nigel (him again!) openly talked about training with.. I think it was Ospreys.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:39 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Everyone involved as it becomes less or a spectacle. You'll be seeing the majority of the games in 1 league anyway. But again my question to you was why would a B&I league be the best in the world?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:40 pm

SecretFly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Well Barnes does train with clubs he lives near for a start, as do all refs. They have that 2 way conversation and will work with any club who asks them to go through how they interpret the rules and what the refs have been told to look for that season, month, day.

Nuff said as the saying goes.  Lord knows this.  I distinctly remember reading an article a few years ago where Nigel (him again!) openly talked about training with.. I think it was Ospreys.

Ebery ref does, helps both the ref and the players, why wouldn't they?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:40 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Everyone involved as it becomes less or a spectacle. You'll be seeing the majority of the games in 1 league anyway. But again my question to you was why would a B&I league be the best in the world?

More teams playing more games of a higher quality more frequently.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:41 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:

Everyone involved as it becomes less or a spectacle.

That doesn't eqate to less money at all. There is more £££ in the international game than ever before, and teams are playing each other more than ever before.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:42 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

More teams playing more games of a higher quality more frequently.

Who says?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:42 pm

But you've just said the Pro 12 is rubbish.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:43 pm

ME-109 wrote:

Who says?

The format of the league.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:43 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:But you've just said the Pro 12 is rubbish.

They'll have to try in this new league.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:44 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

That doesn't eqate to less money at all. There is more £££ in the international game than ever before, and teams are playing each other more than ever before.

Not the same at all. If Europe expanded and became the greatest comp in the world you'd see less interest in internationals as has happened in football.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:44 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

Who says?

The format of the league.

According to YOU!

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:45 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:But you've just said the Pro 12 is rubbish.

They'll have to try in this new league.

Why would the English want them if they don't try. Why would they have to try and who are they?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Nuff said as the saying goes.  Lord knows this.  I distinctly remember reading an article a few years ago where Nigel (him again!) openly talked about training with.. I think it was Ospreys.
Nah, the ref who used to train with us was James Jones, Nige used to train with Sca no I can't utter that word Very Happy

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Not the same at all. If Europe expanded and became the greatest comp in the world you'd see less interest in internationals as has happened in football.

Why would you see less interest in internationals?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:48 pm

Because Europe and the clubs becomes the thing to watch as has happened in football. If a B&I league was the best thing to watch Europe becomes nothing more of a distraction, less interest, less money.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:48 pm

But you do understand how 'argument for bias accusation' can be understood to mean accusations of cheating, at present?

You would be wrong in thinking that 'I already know' what you mean, because what you mean seems to change with the flow of debate.
You did say that the Pro12 was set up for the Irish, and when I pointing this out to you a few days ago, you claimed that it wasn't meant. That you said it in a moment of frustration. And just a few of your comments up, you make the same accusation, in an apparent change of mind....

So you can understand my not knowing exactly what you mean, as what you mean seems to change with the weather.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:49 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:

Why would the English want them if they don't try. Why would they have to try and who are they?

We've done this before so many times. In a 2 tier league or a conference style - if they want to progress / get promoted / be successful then they'll have to play out of their skin every week. There'll be no zebras. No Trevisos. Stronger teams playign stronger teams.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Because Europe and the clubs becomes the thing to watch as has happened in football. If a B&I league was the best thing to watch Europe becomes nothing more of a distraction, less interest, less money.

You're clutchign at straws.

British and Irish League will be the best League.
Europe would be the best cup
Test rugby would still be test rugby.

You're clearly just trying to think of ways to rubbish it. There would be even more interest in European rugby, because the field would start to level again rather than the big French teams dominating.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:52 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

We've done this before so many times. In a 2 tier league or a conference style - if they want to progress / get promoted / be successful then they'll have to play out of their skin every week. There'll be no zebras. No Trevisos. Stronger teams playign stronger teams.

Follow it through why on earth would you want to dilute the strength of the league by dividing in 2 then. Why don't the English just do a deal with Glasgow, Leinster and Munster? Forget the rest as they're so so, Scarlets could maybe have a go if they managed to hoover back some players Why take the rest it makes no sense. That way although English clubs would still be taking a big risk on BT or Sky stumping up another massive rise in cash it offsets it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:53 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Follow it through why on earth would you want to dilute the strength of the league by dividing in 2 then. Why don't the English just do a deal with Glasgow, Leinster and Munster? Forget the rest as they're so so, Scarlets could maybe have a go if they managed to hoover back some players Why take the rest it makes no sense. That way although English clubs would still be taking a big risk on BT or Sky stumping up another massive rise in cash it offsets it.

Your fighting a losing battle, he has his fantasy and I think we are all best letting him keep it

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:54 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:P.S, I do not want a British and Irish league, I want a Celtic league where ALL teams have parity with each other, and the argument for bias accusation is taken out of it.

Then stop making them.

So is it accusations of 'potential bias' (potential to cheat), or accusations of bias (cheating)?

It has always been potential bias from me as I suspect you already know. I was using accusations of bias because you were telling me there is no such thing as potential bias.

But you do understand how 'argument for bias accusation' can be understood to mean accusations of cheating, at present?

You would be wrong in thinking that 'I already know' what you mean, because what you mean seems to change with the flow of debate.
You did say that the Pro12 was set up for the Irish, and when I pointed this out to you a few days ago, you claimed that it wasn't meant. That you said it in a moment of frustration. And just a few of your comments up, you make the same accusation, in an apparent change of mind....

So you can understand my not knowing exactly what you mean, as what you mean seems to change with the weather.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Because Europe and the clubs becomes the thing to watch as has happened in football. If a B&I league was the best thing to watch Europe becomes nothing more of a distraction, less interest, less money.

You're clearly just trying to think of ways to rubbish it. There would be even more interest in European rugby, because the field would start to level again rather than the big French teams dominating.

The FA cup remains the best cup but there's much less prestige and money attached now. Why would the French stop dominating? Wales couldn't compete, Scottish clubs need to play Scottish players for their internationals and the irish would continue as now playing their own players. Engllish clubs would be pretty similar anyway as we have the money and choose to have a cap.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

F**k the Italians. Yep. It's the same old pie.

Care about us as at the same time we don't give a f**k about the Italians. Does someone owe someone a living here?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Follow it through why on earth would you want to dilute the strength of the league by dividing in 2 then.

Because you can't play 24 teams in a season.

Why don't the English just do a deal with Glasgow, Leinster and Munster?

3 Union controlled clubs? In the PRL league? I assume this is tongue in cheek?

Forget the rest as they're so so, Scarlets could maybe have a go if they managed to hoover back some players Why take the rest it makes no sense. That way although English clubs would still be taking a big risk on BT or Sky stumping up another massive rise in cash it offsets it.

I see.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:

The FA cup remains the best cup but there's much less prestige and money attached now. Why would the French stop dominating? Wales couldn't compete, Scottish clubs need to play Scottish players for their internationals and the irish would continue as now playing their own players. Engllish clubs would be pretty similar anyway as we have the money and choose to have a cap.

Because the money involved would mean the gap would be bridged.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:00 pm

Enlgish, irish and Glasgow league. Drop a few clubs like Irish and Newcastle out and bring those in.

Would still need more money to make it a good deal for the English but I'm sure BT (Charity number 97382459) would be willing to pay for it all.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:01 pm

Last from me on this anyway as marty is completely right.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:02 pm

We were having a decent debate then No 7&1/2 (if just a rehash) I've no diea why you've now resorted to lowering yourself down to others' sarcastic levels.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:06 pm

Sarcastic?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:16 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Last from me on this anyway as marty is completely right.

Debatable. He sounds like he's about to cry in his posts,he's so desperate for us Welsh to like it.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

International teams play about 12 games a year. Club teams play about 3 times that.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Last from me on this anyway as marty is completely right.

Debatable. He sounds like he's about to cry in his posts,he's so desperate for us Welsh to like it.

Crying or Very sad broken

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:23 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Mick Dawson (Leinster Rugby) said that he had been approached by a couple of English clubs who were only interested in taking in the Big 3 Irish Provinces (because of their travelling support).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:26 pm

Chunky's biggest fear. An E&I league.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

Sin é wrote:Mick Dawson (Leinster Rugby) said that he had been approached by a couple of English clubs who were only interested in taking in the Big 3 Irish Provinces (because of their travelling support).

Fair play the Irish travelling support is very strong during the European Cup games, however there are very few travelling fans for the Pro12 games.

Edit: cue the poor welsh attendances, or we don't travel to you because your abusive etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next