The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours III...

+69
Artful_Dodger
Notch
St John The Enforcer
dragon4life
RiscaGame
RuggerRadge2611
ChequeredJersey
MonkeyOwain12
demosthenes
funnyExiledScot
Cumbrian
broadlandboy
exileray
thebandwagonsociety
Mad for Chelsea
Hazel Sapling
propdavid_london
ScarletSpiderman
True Raven
BigTrevsbigmac
DaveM
Student-A1
profitius
LordDowlais
XR
Golden
Ozzy3213
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
Welly
Sgt_Pooly
king_carlos
mikey_dragon
beshocked
LondonTiger
Bathman_in_London
Bathite
Heaf
yappysnap
Geordie
Margin_Walker
killer938
No 7&1/2
George Carlin
munkian
SirBurger
WELL-PAST-IT
geoff999rugby
Tiger/Chief
clivemcl
stub
HammerofThunor
HongKongCherry
bluestonevedder
maverickmak
BigGee
nathan
Fluxy
TightHEAD
VinceWLB
RDW
lostinwales
westisbest
TBJ9625
LeinsterFan4life
Seagultaf
BamBam
dragon999
whocares
73 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 8 Empty Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by George Carlin Thu 29 Oct - 10:32

First topic message reminder :

Previous seasonal silliness:
https://www.606v2.com/t57129-silly-season-transfer-rumours
https://www.606v2.com/t58562-silly-season-transfer-rumours-continued

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 8 Evil10
The place to confirm rumours, deny them, or viciously start new ones of your own.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 8 Nov - 13:17; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 8 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Guest Sun 13 Dec - 23:43

I really liked Bowden, after Ford and Mafi he's probably Tigers' biggest loss over the last couple of years, for me at least. By all accounts he got on well with Cockers but couldn't stand MOC, which isn't too much of a shock. I'd be very happy with him as back up to Toomua while we wait for Bryant to step up, though I can't really see it happening. He's retweeted a couple of comments from fans asking him to return to LI, would be a bit weird to do that without that being his plan.

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 8 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Welly Mon 14 Dec - 9:38

Ozzy3213 wrote:His missus plays football for Lincoln Ladies (Notts County), so I suspect he is coming back to the Premiership.

Closish to tigers Wink

Also sent a tweet saying its tough to beat 2 pint and a pie (Which was a tigers fan counter offer, which looks to have gone now, anyone else see it? Might have a screenshot

Anyway.

Bowden for me is a big upgrade on Bai (Who i Like), and despite an excellent form ATM Smith (Who i also really like).

Only 29 so still age on his side. Roberts isn't being played @ 12 in the A league instead @ 13 and rumoured off, Bai i rumoured to be retiring end of season.

Going into next season with
9) Youngs, Harrison, Kitto
10) Williams, Burns, Bowden/Toomua
12) Toomua, Bowden, Smith, Bryant (All of whom play the Barr Smith the 10/12 role)
13) Manu, JDV (?), Smith, Catchpole

Pretty nice depht.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 14 Dec - 9:42

My personal opinion of Tigers is that they recruit intelligently and they have managed to maintain a competitive team throughout the years. On the other hand I feel that Tigers have moved away from a predominantly Engliish side with a strong academy to a foreign driven side with a faltering academy.

Well coached,professional but have lost their homegrown Leicester core. I guess you could argue that's the nature of the business - foreign players are available all year round, cheaper to recruit and easier to buy into the Leicester mentality rather than relying on English players. Plus of course the salary cap.....

I have a lot of respect for Tigers but I am disappointed that the academy production line seems to have struggled recently. Yes Tigers still have the likes of Cole, the Youngs bros and Slater but where's the next generation?

I guess one could argue that 36 and Ford should have been part of this Tigers side but both partly left because they weren't first choice.

Ford stuck behind Flood, 36 behind Allen.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 14 Dec - 9:49

TBH judging on 36 recent form i wouldn't have him over Smith ATM.

2 academy players i Would have liked to kept with hindsight Ford and Lewington.

Will have our homegrown core, its just older.

Production line has slowed down which happens, But Club also made big changes this year in the academy as well.

Glynn (Head of it and transition)
Wilkes (Coming in from the Sale academy as manager)
B.Deacon (Move up to Head coach)
Allen (Is now the Academy backs coach)

That is 4 changes of the bat.

Catchpole looks promising has played a few times this season, Thacker and the two itatilan props have also featured this season. as has 17 year old white.

The next crop look good the likes of Beckett, Milne, Bryant, White, Odogwu, Umaga, Fred Tuilagi, Worth and the lock whose name I cant spell looked good pre-season. Think it is the case of not rushing them for the sake of it.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 14 Dec - 10:54

According to midi from this morning:

Cory Jane and Victor Vito are pretty much done deals to France. Reportedly Racing and La Rochelle respectively.

Davey Wilson has apparently turned down Toulouse to stay with Bath. Good news for club and country IMO. Injury has hurt him recently but at 30 he could still have time ahead of him. We can already see Thomas overtaking for Bath and likely England but if Wilson can get back to where he was then a TH as solid at scrum time as him is always an asset.

The Ghirildini to France rumour has gathered even more pace with Midi reckoning it's as good as a done deal, which most expected already. I reckon it will be announced early December.

In other tidbits apparently Gloucester are looking at Haskell, I can't see any chance at all of him leaving Wasps though. Finally, Pocock is apparently looking for £800k a year to draw him away from Aus. Erm

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 14 Dec - 11:07

Pocock doesn't really want to leave Aus anyway.

Just wouldn't say know if someone wants a to give him lots of money.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 14 Dec - 11:16

Agreed Welly.

After how much the ARU and Brumbies have done helping him get fit again you'd have to say he owes some more time in Super Rugby anyway before topping up the pension pot.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 14 Dec - 11:35

Welly wrote:Bowden for me is a big upgrade on Bai (Who i Like), and despite an excellent form ATM Smith (Who i also really like).

Only 29 so still age on his side. Roberts isn't being played @ 12 in the A league instead @ 13 and rumoured off, Bai i rumoured to be retiring end of season.

12) Toomua, Bowden, Smith, Bryant (All of whom play the Barr Smith the 10/12 role)

Pretty nice depht.

He'd offer an immediate upgrade on our current options admittedly. With JDV just about to come in, Smith in good form and Bai having had one of his best games for Tigers at the weekend it feels a bit like the funds would be better of saved for elsewhere. Looking to next year I'm thinking a replacement for Leo at hooker.

It would also feel like an admittance that Roberts is no longer a part of the plans either. At 24 it feels a bit of a waste to have him in the squad if there isn't much faith in developing him.

I don't feel Roberts could be a world beater by any means, but with his power and speed he could have been a very useful squad player at 12 or 13. If he were to move on after 2 seasons with few opportunities it would feel all too similar to the likes of Purdy and Lewington who have done so recently. I could see him going on to be a very useful Prem player elsewhere if given game time, it would be frustrating to lose him because he didn't get chances.

All that said, Bowden would be an strong addition to the squad for next season with Bai all but confirmed to be retiring and JDV likely only here until the end of the season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 Dec - 13:03

I'd rather we put game time with Bryant. He has a similar game style to Bowden but the crucial difference is he's a better tackler. I think he's a better option over the next two years at a fraction of the cost with Smith in the form of his life and always reliable behind JDV this season and Toomua next.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 14 Dec - 15:09

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd rather we put game time with Bryant. He has a similar game style to Bowden but the crucial difference is he's a better tackler. I think he's a better option over the next two years at a fraction of the cost with Smith in the form of his life and always reliable behind JDV this season and Toomua next.

TBF Bowden was a brilliant tackler in his last season IMO, we didn't miss Allen when he was playing 12 for us then which is a big compliment.

Whilst i like Bryant I still don't think he is ready for AP rugby. Certainly not this season maybe next season maybe.

For me if the senior squad went like this
JDV ----> Toomua
Bai ----> Bowden
Roberts -----> Bryant

Goneva might be off so that could be around £250,000 + free cap if that was to happen.

king_carlos wrote:
Welly wrote:Bowden for me is a big upgrade on Bai (Who i Like), and despite an excellent form ATM Smith (Who i also really like).

Pretty nice depht.

He'd offer an immediate upgrade on our current options admittedly. With JDV just about to come in, Smith in good form and Bai having had one of his best games for Tigers at the weekend it feels a bit like the funds would be better of saved for elsewhere. Looking to next year I'm thinking a replacement for Leo at hooker.

It would also feel like an admittance that Roberts is no longer a part of the plans either. At 24 it feels a bit of a waste to have him in the squad if there isn't much faith in developing him.

I don't feel Roberts could be a world beater by any means, but with his power and speed he could have been a very useful squad player at 12 or 13. If he were to move on after 2 seasons with few opportunities it would feel all too similar to the likes of Purdy and Lewington who have done so recently. I could see him going on to be a very useful Prem player elsewhere if given game time, it would be frustrating to lose him because he didn't get chances.

All that said, Bowden would be an strong addition to the squad for next season with Bai all but confirmed to be retiring and JDV likely only here until the end of the season.

I don't think Roberts features at Maugers plans anyway ATM @ 12. He has been playing 13 in the A league.

Don't see how it would affect a Leo replacement.
Leo IMO your not going to be able to upgrade on him as a 2nd choice hooker unless we go young maybe that Falcons Hooker? but the wage he is on i think we could maybe get a a Ford (Maybe) or someone.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 Dec - 16:49

Bryant stepping up in place of Roberts leaves him fourth choice and he may as well leave at that point as he'll be 25 before he's likely to get worthwhile game time. Toomua and Smith are adequate in the system we have and we could easily move Williams or Manu there. JDV might stay an extra season as well. Back the young guy to do a job as third choice otherwise we'll lose him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 14 Dec - 17:12

Welly wrote:I don't think Roberts features at Maugers plans anyway ATM @ 12. He has been playing 13 in the A league.

Don't see how it would affect a Leo replacement.
Leo IMO your not going to be able to upgrade on him as a 2nd choice hooker unless we go young maybe that Falcons Hooker? but the wage he is on i think we could maybe get a a Ford (Maybe) or someone.

I'm just thinking I'd rather keep the funds for when they are more needed. If someone like Ford becomes available he would cost more than Leo I'd reckon?

If Roberts isn't viewed as a 12 in Maugers system then fair enough - given the changes for the better we've already seen I wont argue with his judgement. However I still think Roberts could be a useful option at 13 and would need game time there all the same.

As for the 12 spot I then agree with Sam. If Bowden came in the Bryant would realistically be 4th choice next year behind Toomua, Bowden and Smith.

I'd rather we backed a young talent to develop than risk losing him in the long term. The important thing here is giving him game time prior to a build up of injuries rather than in reaction to one.

Too often in recent years we've seen youngsters not get chances at all then get thrown into an inexperienced side when we are struggling with an awful injury list. If Bryant gets a chance I'd be disappointed if it's in a centre partnership such as 12.Bryant 13.Catchpole when we could look to partner him with JDV, Manu or Smith to give him the best chance of impressing.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 Dec - 18:36

I'd like to see Bryant and JDV vs Falcons on boxing day. I think Mauger sees JDV more at 12 in our system though. I agree fully that we tend to be guilty of only throwing youngsters in during emergencies as opposed to strategically. Look at Sarries by drip feeding young English players in over a number of seasons they've not got a predominantly English 23 which should stay together for years (half backs being their only exception).

I don't dislike the idea of Roberts at 13 but we need to line him up alongside a Smith or Bai for a game and see how he does. Using the festive period to give one or two youngsters a go in the 23 makes sense. Especially given the hammering the first team are taking in these last few fixtures. The likes of Youngs, Cole and Smith will need a game off.

Agree also on the hooker option. Though I was hoping Bateman would have stepped up quicker.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Dec - 18:53

Should perhaps rename this "Tigers discussion thread" Whistle

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Dec - 19:44

I'm sure someone will be linked with Falcons eventually.

Maybe Botha has a twin. Run

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 14 Dec - 19:57

I'm not sure if I've seen it elsewhere here:

Ben Teo from Leinster to Queensland Reds is being heavily rumoured.

If he left do any Leinster fans think that Cullen might look at Ian Whitten of Exeter? He is playing very well for the Chiefs and offers an option at 12 or 13.

Of course there is every chance that he would want to stay at Sandy Park given how well they treat their players. I keep wondering whether he or Steenson might be tempted back home if their form holds up though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 14 Dec - 20:10

Are Steenson and Whitten being billed for international rugby? If not then they'll probably stay put. One of the factors in Robin Copeland returning to Ireland was international rugby - and based on his Cardiff Blues form in the not too distant past he was good enough to break into the Ireland squad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Dec - 20:43

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I'm sure someone will be linked with Falcons eventually.

Maybe Botha has a twin. Run

It's not the links, it's the "who's 4th in the pecking order at 13 for Leicester in 3 years time" Rolling Eyes

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 14 Dec - 20:57

Sorry sarge. That was largely me going off an a tangent about Bowden. I should have had the sense to move it to the Tigers page! Hug

mikey - I don't think either are in the Schmidts thoughts no. If a province are looking to bring in a centre or 10 they could do much worse than giving Whitten or Steenson a call regardless IMO. They are both top club players who wouldn't cost an arm and leg.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 Dec - 21:54

If Madigan leaves Leinster then Steenson would be an ideal replacement. Not sure he'd want to leave Exeter though. He's 31 and long settled in the area. I think more likely he'll finish his career on the coast in a few years time then start coaching there.

Whitten might be easier to tempt as he's been in and out of the team in prior seasons and this season been rotated with Hill. Michele Campagnaro is waiting in the wings and Slade will always be the first name fitted into the midfield jigsaw.

A Whitten and Ringrose partnership would work well for Leinster.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 15 Dec - 20:15

Yarde re-signs with Quins. I'm really hoping his form can keep improving at the Stoop. He had a tough time last season and often looked uninterested but even so I can't shake the image of him running through McCaw to score in New Zealand.

Sam - Sandy Park is a wonderful ground but if offered a chance to play in front of a sold out Aviva I could see them being tempted.

I think Leinster will look overseas again for a Teo replacement anway.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 15 Dec - 20:25

Whitten is a decent player no doubt, but we'll be looking for a lot more quality than that I would hope; especially if we want to sell season tickets off the back of this disastrous season. Connacht signing Griffin could now pave the way for Henshaw to come to Leinster.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 15 Dec - 21:33

king_carlos wrote:Yarde re-signs with Quins. I'm really hoping his form can keep improving at the Stoop. He had a tough time last season and often looked uninterested but even so I can't shake the image of him running through McCaw to score in New Zealand.

Sam - Sandy Park is a wonderful ground but if offered a chance to play in front of a sold out Aviva I could see them being tempted.

SBW available for next season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 15 Dec - 21:52

Judging by the rumours it seems a return to Toulon is more likely... Rolling Eyes

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 15 Dec - 22:02

SBW Nonu and Giteau as 12 options. Ridiculous

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 15 Dec - 22:04

LondonTiger wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Yarde re-signs with Quins. I'm really hoping his form can keep improving at the Stoop. He had a tough time last season and often looked uninterested but even so I can't shake the image of him running through McCaw to score in New Zealand.

SBW available for next season.

SBW will be back in league ready for the world cup in 2017. Sydney Roosters being rumoured. That of he'll play Super Rugby and look to be in the NZ team for the Lions tour. He seems preoccupied with the big international tournaments.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 15 Dec - 23:28

I'd have to question whether Hansen will be sick of the circus by then and tried to find someone else for the role.

Nonu and Smith were always going to be damn difficult to replace anyway with SBW unavailable as well. Although it wasn't unexpected.

Fekitoa will take one place. After that you'd have to say Saili might regret leaving. Crotty will be fancying his chances of a few more caps.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 16 Dec - 11:54

Wouldn't be surprised to see Barrett given a go at 12 alongside Cruden for the ABs and Black at the Hurricanes. Buckman at the Highlanders is a decent option at 12 as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 16 Dec - 12:16

Beau Robinson to Harlequins

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/14363991/harlequins-sign-australia-beau-robinson-medical-joker

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 16 Dec - 13:46

Quins sign Beau Robinson, ex Reds flanker.

Very good injury cover imo

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 16 Dec - 13:56

Good move for Quins. They've had no luck with injuries and he'll provide some useful experience. To the end if the season makes me think he's not going back for the Super 15/18 season though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 16 Dec - 14:00

Too slow Yappy.

Good player, I'm sure he'll add a similar impact to what Braid has at Sale.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 16 Dec - 14:25

I've heard the Ospreys were expecting some good news, I imagine its the re-signing of Rhys Webb. Have any fans with links at their English clubs heard news on the Webb (and Halfpenny) front?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 16 Dec - 18:35

Ford re-signs with Bath.

Completely to be expected. Even if their Prem form is poor they are a high aspiring club that will be competing in Europe. Plus they are trying to play a brand of rugby that suits Ford, not to mention it keeps his dad close as head coach.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 16 Dec - 19:55

2 years for Ford, cynically you wonder if the plan is to become established as England fly half and then renegotiate in a few years at a higher level. Glad we are keeping him though!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 16 Dec - 20:51

Two years is about standard for a first team player. Ford is unlikely to sign for longer when he could be an established international and Lions player on two years and ready to renegotiate for a much bigger contract. As it stands he'll be getting at least what Priestland's on so he isn't going to be poor.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 17 Dec - 22:11

Leicester Tigers keen to sign McGuigan as Leo's replacement.

But apparently the IRFU are interested in bringing him over (Munster being one name).

Would be a very good signing for us.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 17 Dec - 22:20

GF and Sarge are going to be ecstatic that Tigers are complimenting Falcons by expressing interest in one of their top performers... Whistle

Dreamworld for me would be if we could get Tommy Taylor. Then we could rotate him and OTY as two really strong English options. He may have had a couple of wobbles this season but he's a guy that always looks useful in club games. All action player that hurls himself into everything.

I think he's rumoured to be heading to Gloucs though?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 17 Dec - 22:22

Taylor has "Apparently" all but signed for Wasps

McGuigan is still EQP I think.

Him and Barrow Falcons fans would be going mental.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 17 Dec - 22:29

McGuigan is a good player but has poor darts, he'd just be Tom Youngs MkII at Tigers.

Yes he is still EQ, I think he's from Yorkshire. He's very raw but has a great offloading game and strong at the breakdown. I'd be more disappointed if he left than Barrow as we've got nobody coming through really.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 18 Dec - 9:03

Tom Youngs generally has about a 95% average on the line out with Tigers. England wobbles aside his darts are pretty good.

Taylor or McGuigan would be good for us but bad for the northern clubs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 18 Dec - 11:35

Youngs hasn't got close to that when I've seen him this season. Even when he nails them they're not accurate. Him v McGuigan would be an interesting contest.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 18 Dec - 13:47

You not watch his 100% success rate vs Munster last weekend? He's always done the business for Tigers and every hooker has the occasional blip. I remember Hartley coming up to Welford Rd and struggling to hit anybody let alone one of his own jumpers a couple of years back.

Youngs has been one of the highlights so far this season at Tigers.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 18 Dec - 13:50

I didn't see all of the Munster game. If Youngs has been your highlight, you're in for a disappointing season.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 18 Dec - 14:29

On the basis we have lost the one game all season and are currently in the AP top 4 and have fourteen from a possible fifteen points in the HEC I can deal with this level of disappointment.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 18 Dec - 14:47

formerly known as Sam wrote:On the basis we have lost the one game all season and are currently in the AP top 4 and have fourteen from a possible fifteen points in the HEC I can deal with this level of disappointment.

It wasnt a slight on Tigers performances(which have being steadily improving). It was a point that if Youngs has been one of your best players I feel for the rest. I think Youngs has been poor if you get my point Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 18 Dec - 14:52

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 18 Dec - 15:16

Ah it all makes sense now...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 18 Dec - 15:17

Pooly has Tom Youngs done something to offend you in the past??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 18 Dec - 15:20

Back in topic. Stephan Moore has agreed to sign for the Queensland Reds at the end of the Super 15 season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next