The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

+28
glamorganalun
carpet baboon
RiscaGame
True Raven
Steffan
Don Blues
PhilBB
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
Luckless Pedestrian
George Carlin
Stone Motif
Blueschief
wayne
GavinDragon
XR
Seagultaf
Gleision
Kingshu
Cardiff Dave
ScarletSpiderman
Notch
wales606
mikey_dragon
Don Alfonso
Coleman
LordDowlais
VinceWLB
32 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 11 Empty Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Guest Wed 23 Dec 2015, 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Navidi is better in other positions in my opinion. Williams is an out and out 8. Good signing.

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 11 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by True Raven Mon 02 May 2016, 12:50 pm

AWJ retiring was just some crap LD made up

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 11 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by RiscaGame Mon 02 May 2016, 2:03 pm

Shock.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 02 May 2016, 2:21 pm

PhilBB wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:You've got Earle coming, he is not a beast but still he seems to love the physical stuff. Also, there is talk of Charteris pulling out of his Bath move.  With the recent improvements you guys have shown, maybe there is a chance to sneak in an bag him in an ndc?

What rumour is that? His Mrs is from there, no?

It is purely from speculation, but mainly from Bath/English fans, not heard much about it from our side of the bridge.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 08 May 2016, 10:49 am

So the Blues finish the season with 7 wins from 8 games. End with 11 wins, up from 5 last year.

Bring on next season with a stronger squad!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Sun 08 May 2016, 1:45 pm

It's been a while since we have dared to dream, a result of too many false dawns. This time tho I dare.

Can't wait for next season. Bring it on!

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 20 May 2016, 10:36 am

So, why would Bradley Davies put it in writing that he did not want to come back to Cardiff Blues ?

Is it really that bad there at the moment ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 20 May 2016, 10:50 am

LordDowlais wrote:So, why would Bradley Davies put it in writing that he did not want to come back to Cardiff Blues ?

You don't half look for trouble do you Lord?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 20 May 2016, 11:04 am

Just asking that's all wayne. angel

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 20 May 2016, 2:47 pm

To link up with AWJ I presume. It certainly wouldn't be to win trophies or play in champions cup. The guy should have stayed at Wasps.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri 20 May 2016, 2:49 pm

He wanted his daughter to go to a welsh speaking school as she starts school in September.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 20 May 2016, 3:25 pm

There's Welsh-speaking schools in Cardiff isn't there? There's also one in Pontypool, and a number of them in Carmarthenshire.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 20 May 2016, 3:27 pm

Several Welsh-medium primary schools in Newport, and they've approved a Welsh-medium comprehensive now. He should have come to the Dragons. Shocked

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 20 May 2016, 3:30 pm

That's good news LP, the number of people speaking fluent Welsh in Newport must be on the rise. Where did you find this out btw?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 20 May 2016, 3:32 pm

Two of my sisters work in a Welsh-medium primary. I went to the Welsh school in Trevethin.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri 20 May 2016, 3:43 pm

Sorry my reply was in response to him staying at wasps.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 20 May 2016, 5:49 pm

There are plenty of Welsh speaking schools in and around Merthyr as well, so my guess is there are loads in Cardiff as well, so I doubt that was as much of a game changer. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 20 May 2016, 5:54 pm

There are also Welsh speaking schools near where Bradley is from in Llantrisant (my brothers kids go to one) so he may not have necessarily meant he wants her to go to a school in Cardiff. Bradley lived in Llantrisant when he was first at the Blues and commuted everyday. He may well do it again this time so I wouldn't assume he means a Welsh school in Cardiff

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 21 May 2016, 9:36 am

I also heard the Blues wouldn't meet the money requested to buy him out of his contract
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 21 May 2016, 12:12 pm

It's like the chicken and egg question which came first?

Bradley saying he wanted to come home.
Blues offering him a contract
WRU offering an NDC
Blues refusing to pay transfer fee
Ospreys or WRU prepared to pay the transfer fee
Brad writing a letter saying he wouldn't sign for the Blues.

One thing I do know about, a few on here know I've been learning Welsh for a few years, about 3 years ago I took a series of courses Mynediad 1&2, Sylvaen 1&2, in one year to do that I travelled to Gartholwg Campus in Church Village this course was under the auspices of the University of South Wales, on the same campus there is a Nursery and Junior School taught in the medium of Welsh, so to say that he joined us (Ospreys)for his child to go to a Welsh medium school IMO is wrong. As some have earlier said, he was living quite close to that area, why wouldn't he want the child to go there.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 May 2016, 8:23 pm

Guys, there seems to be a bit of commuter-phobia (edit: or should that be commuto-phobia?) going on here. A similar malaise to travel and support in Welsh club rugby generally, perhaps? There's very little distance between the regions. He could live in Bristol if he wanted and commute to Ospreylia for training and games quite easily.  It's not exactly f*cking far! I have colleagues who do similar journeys every day, 5 days a week and have been doing it for much longer than the few short years his rugby contract will be.

In terms of Welsh schools: he doesn't need a Welsh medium school right next door to his place of work. He just needs to live in the catchment, although those are usually fairly relaxed for Welsh medium education in my experience. He could live in Pontyfycknose and play for Gloucester or Bath quite easily really. Moving to the region and attributing it to schools is a red herring, IMO. I suspect he just wanted to play for the region that has, so far, been the best in terms of league wins, etc. and is perhaps considered the 'best' Welsh region (highly subjective of course). Nothing wrong with that. Just be honest though I say.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 22 May 2016, 9:15 am

Adam Jones still lives in my street and he plays rugby in London.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 22 May 2016, 9:59 am

In my opinion, Bradley should have been told that if he wanted the WRU to buy him out of the contract he willingly signed, that it was Cardiff or stay at Wasps until the end of next season. By doing what they have done the WRU is promoting competition for Welsh players amongst the regions, the only ones who gain from this is the players agents.

Let's be honest Bradley choosing Ospreys as they are the strongest Welsh side no longer holds water. Cardiff are now a very strong side, they finished the season as second best Welsh region and Ospreys were third. However if you look at form since Xmas, Cardiff were by far the best Welsh region in the Pro12 and if they can maintain that form into next season, they will be pushing for a play off place.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 May 2016, 10:31 am

Seagultaf wrote:In my opinion, Bradley should have been told that if he wanted the WRU to buy him out of the contract he willingly signed, that it was Cardiff or stay at Wasps until the end of next season. By doing what they have done the WRU is promoting competition for Welsh players amongst the regions, the only ones who gain from this is the players agents.

Let's be honest Bradley choosing Ospreys as they are the strongest Welsh side no longer holds water. Cardiff are now a very strong side, they finished the season as second best Welsh region and Ospreys were third. However if you look at form since Xmas, Cardiff were by far the best Welsh region in the Pro12 and if they can maintain that form into next season, they will be pushing for a play off place.
The only organisation that has said that the WRU bought out his contract is the Fail, I gave a list above of an order that could be put for the sequence of events for the signing of Davies that order could be turned many ways, but if Cardiff were told of his availability and they refused to put up the transfer fee and he was told of this, and then either the WRU or the Ospreys were prepared to pay ALL or part of it each, if it was me I would also write a letter saying I wouldn't go back there.
As for your 2nd paragraph it is laughable, we beat them twice this past season and if they had the injuries we had over the season we would have finished above them, and if we have the normal injury situation next season, normal finishing positions will resume.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 May 2016, 10:49 am

Wayne, every teams have injuries through the season. Blaming your team 8th place finish because of injuries is poor, to put it mildly. Ashley's injury at the end of the season was a blessing in disguise as it allowed you to play a proper 2nd row in Bernardo. For your last ECC game in Exeter, Bernardo was fit but your coaches went with Ashley. There is not much you can do about it.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 May 2016, 1:01 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Wayne, every teams have injuries through the season. Blaming your team 8th place finish because of injuries is poor, to put it mildly. Ashley's injury at the end of the season was a blessing in disguise as it allowed you to play a proper 2nd row in Bernardo. For your last ECC game in Exeter, Bernardo was fit but your coaches went with Ashley. There is not much you can do about it.
Vince, there is not a bigger critic of the selection of Ashley on here than myself, but to rubbish him totally IMO is very unfair, who was the 2nd row pair when we beat ALL other teams in RCC1 this season, and when we took 2 bonus points away in France? Yes he has his limitations and bulk has a lot to do with it, when 3 very significant injuries disrupted a lot of our season, Webb, AWJ and Tipuric missed a decent number of games, I think we can blame injuries and justifiably so, I don't think there was a single game in our Guinness League season that we had less than 10 players not available through injury, I 'm not using the WC as an excuse as other teams had to put up with the same, but injuries did make the difference to at least finishing above the Blues.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 22 May 2016, 1:01 pm

Boys, Bradley Davies made it clear that he did not want to go to Cardiff Blues, whether they were willing to stump up the cash or not, he was never going to go there, this he put in writing to the WRU. So where he went was down to him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 May 2016, 1:16 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Boys, Bradley Davies made it clear that he did not want to go to Cardiff Blues, whether they were willing to stump up the cash or not, he was never going to go there, this he put in writing to the WRU. So where he went was down to him.
Lord, it was when he wrote the letter is the important time if it was at the very beginning then fair enough but if it was at the end of the negotiating, one of the points I raised could have been the deciding factor, it has not been declared when this letter was written and I doubt if it ever will, and with the Fails mucky hands all over it, that only muddies the water.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 22 May 2016, 2:41 pm

wayne wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:In my opinion, Bradley should have been told that if he wanted the WRU to buy him out of the contract he willingly signed, that it was Cardiff or stay at Wasps until the end of next season. By doing what they have done the WRU is promoting competition for Welsh players amongst the regions, the only ones who gain from this is the players agents.

The only organisation that has said that the WRU bought out his contract is the Fail, I gave a list above of an order that could be put for the sequence of events for the signing of Davies that order could be turned many ways, but if Cardiff were told of his availability and they refused to put up the transfer fee and he was told of this, and then either the WRU or the Ospreys were prepared to pay ALL or part of it each, if it was me I would also write a letter saying I wouldn't go back there.
As for your 2nd paragraph it is laughable, we beat them twice this past season and if they had the injuries we had over the season we would have finished above them, and if we have the normal injury situation next season, normal finishing positions will resume.

Laugh

Injuries have got nothing to do with Tandy's inability to select or recruit in a way which addresses the fundamental limitations in your side. Wilson does. I'd 100% be more positive of finishing in the top six next season if I were a Cardiff supporter. Ospreys are a busted flush.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 22 May 2016, 5:05 pm

wayne wrote:

Cardiff made it abundantly clear that the only reason that they did not make a bid for Bradley was that they could not justify paying the transfer fee to buy him out of his contract a year early. I can't see that there is any doubt about who bought Bradley out of his contact so that he could play at Ospreys, Martyn Phillips defended the action they took in his interview in the Fail, whilst suggesting that the deal was confidential. Also Ospreys have said categorically they have said they did not pay anything towards buying out his contract.

Finally all the Regions had injury crisis, Cardiff at the start of the season and Scarlets in the middle, and as they say the Leauge positions don't lie, Ospreys finished as third Welsh region.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 May 2016, 6:29 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
wayne wrote:

Cardiff made it abundantly clear that the only reason that they did not make a bid for Bradley was that they could not justify paying the transfer fee to buy him out of his contract a year early. I can't see that there is any doubt about who bought Bradley out of his contact so that he could play at Ospreys, Martyn Phillips defended the action they took in his interview in the Fail, whilst suggesting that the deal was confidential. Also Ospreys have said categorically they have said they did not pay anything towards buying out his contract.

Finally all the Regions had injury crisis, Cardiff at the start of the season and Scarlets in the middle, and as they say the Leauge positions don't lie, Ospreys finished as third Welsh region.
OK Champ you can have the Blues were the top of us two by the massive margin of one point when the likes of Webb only played in the last 7 matches of the season, AWJ missed the last few matches because of his Welsh injury and Tipuric missed the last half dozen or so also through TW involvement, who in the Blues lineup that has the same sort of influence of ANY of those 3 (and please don't name WRUburton in that list) as Ellis Jenkins has been a better 7 for the Blues than him, our 2 Canadian Internationals hardly played a game this season, even the experienced SA International Engelbrecht only lasted less than 3 full games before getting crocked, now if you mentioned your own Region as losing a lot I could agree, but Blues your having a larf.
Ospreys have said nothing of the sort OFFICIALLY, there is nothing on our website, when it was announced that he had signed an NDC with us and there is a large page with mentions by Bradley, Martyn Phillips and Andrew Millward our Rugby General manager included. The only mention is that we thanked the WRU for their involvement in the process, the same was said when we signed Dan Lydiate just over a year ago.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 22 May 2016, 8:03 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
wayne wrote:

Laugh

Injuries have got nothing to do with Tandy's inability to select or recruit in a way which addresses the fundamental limitations in your side. Wilson does. I'd 100% be more positive of finishing in the top six next season if I were a Cardiff supporter.  Ospreys are a busted flush.

Steady on FFS.
I'm still trying to get used to this top 6 business after the years of only having to finish above the Drags.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 22 May 2016, 8:05 pm

wayne wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:
wayne wrote:

OK Champ

Lookout!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sun 22 May 2016, 8:11 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Wayne, every teams have injuries through the season. Blaming your team 8th place finish because of injuries is poor, to put it mildly. Ashley's injury at the end of the season was a blessing in disguise as it allowed you to play a proper 2nd row in Bernardo. For your last ECC game in Exeter, Bernardo was fit but your coaches went with Ashley. There is not much you can do about it.

I'm assuming you didn't watch any of the games at the end of the season where Bernardo played?

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sun 22 May 2016, 8:14 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
wayne wrote:

Laugh

Injuries have got nothing to do with Tandy's inability to select or recruit in a way which addresses the fundamental limitations in your side. Wilson does. I'd 100% be more positive of finishing in the top six next season if I were a Cardiff supporter.  Ospreys are a busted flush.

Ospreys are a busted flush?? Based on what exactly apart from your bitterness.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 May 2016, 8:46 pm

True Raven wrote:

I'm assuming you didn't watch any of the games at the end of the season where Bernardo played?

I did - looks like a good lock forward now he has a few games under his belt with Ospreys. What was your point?

Is he still rumoured to be moving on btw? Things seem to have gone quiet.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sun 22 May 2016, 8:56 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
True Raven wrote:

I did - looks like a good lock forward now he has a few games under his belt with Ospreys. What was your point?

Is he still rumoured to be moving on btw? Things seem to have gone quiet.

That people bemoan Tandy for picking Ashley over Bernardo yet when Bernardo played at the end of the season, our scrum continued going backwards, limeout wasn't great, his tackling stats were not better than what Ashley produces and not a great carrier. The consensus on here around January was that Tandy was mad for playing Ashley or King instead of Bernardo when the reality is Bernardo offered little when he did play at the end of the season.

I imagine he'll go and the Ospreys were waiting for Bradley Davies to be signed up first but he's still under contract for another year.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 May 2016, 9:15 pm

Because Ashley is a back-row player (as is King) and putting them at lock does significantly under power you. Your props haven't played well either, Smith was never the best scrummager but he's still learning and should come good. Arhip was a good buy but I think he's a bit hit and miss. What happened to Fia? Doesn't seem to get any game time.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 22 May 2016, 9:28 pm

True Raven wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
wayne wrote:

Laugh

Yeah. Coach out of his depth, Gatland's bitches, no pace in the three quarters, failing scrum and line out. All these things are just my bitterness showing through.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sun 22 May 2016, 9:41 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Because Ashley is a back-row player (as is King) and putting them at lock does significantly under power you. Your props haven't played well either, Smith was never the best scrummager but he's still learning and should come good. Arhip was a good buy but I think he's a bit hit and miss. What happened to Fia? Doesn't seem to get any game time.

Fia became injured around March and was ruled out for the season, hopefully a pre season (which he didn't have last year) should hopefully stand him in good stead for September. I think James, Baldwin and arhip played well together, agree about smith but he's only 21 so has plenty of time on his side to develop

My point about Bernardo is that he hasn't added anything that Ashley or King did to that role despite King being a 6 as you say which is why we have gone out and signed Davies to partner AWJ. But reading these boards you'd think Bernardo was the second coming and Tandy was a fool to not play him

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sun 22 May 2016, 9:47 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
True Raven wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
wayne wrote:

Laugh

Yeah. Coach out of his depth, Gatland's bitches, no pace in the three quarters, failing scrum and line out. All these things are just my bitterness showing through.

A coach that at the age of 36 had never before this season finished worse than 5th place and had won the pro12 beating the European champions at their home ground is out his depth.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 22 May 2016, 11:07 pm

True Raven wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
True Raven wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
wayne wrote:

Laugh

A coach that at the age of 36 had never before this season finished worse than 5th place and had won the pro12 beating the European champions at their home ground is out his depth.

Yep. You keep picking out them kernels champ.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 23 May 2016, 4:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:So, why would Bradley Davies put it in writing that he did not want to come back to Cardiff Blues ?

He has to do so in order to meet the requirement of the RSA that the player 'refuses' his 'Region of Origin'.

Cardiff didn't want to pay the money for him. The Os did.

The Os can afford to pay the money because of the number of other NDC players they have, thus freeing up their cash.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 23 May 2016, 4:45 pm

I thought the ospreys have said they didn't pay any of the fee to get Bradley out of his wasps contract?

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 23 May 2016, 4:46 pm

True Raven wrote:I thought the ospreys have said they didn't pay any of the fee to get Bradley out of his wasps contract?

Link?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 23 May 2016, 4:51 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wasps-receive-compensation-payment-125000-11341128

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 23 May 2016, 4:53 pm

True Raven wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wasps-receive-compensation-payment-125000-11341128

Nothing from the Ospreys in that article.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 23 May 2016, 4:54 pm

Why doesn't Bradley just stay at Wasps rather than trying to join Cardiff or Swansea?

Doesn't make sense

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 23 May 2016, 4:55 pm

Because he wants his daughter to go to a welsh speaking school

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 23 May 2016, 4:56 pm

Steffan wrote:Why doesn't Bradley just stay at Wasps rather than trying to join Cardiff or Swansea?

Doesn't make sense

Mrs Bradley.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 23 May 2016, 5:00 pm

True Raven wrote:Because he wants his daughter to go to a welsh speaking school
I like the Welsh language but I find that quite a petty reason to be honest

I know a guy who has lived in London for the last 15 years. Is going out with a nice looking girl form Norfolk as well

Now all of a sudden he wants to move back to Wales which could split them up as they might be having kids and he "wants his kids to go to a Welsh speaking school" like Bradley

Happy enough to live in London and date an English girl but now suddenly the Welsh language means so much to him

Like I say...I like the Welsh language but I hate this pettiness of "Our kids must speak Welsh or else"

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next