The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
BamBam
JDizzle
crazy_dave23
TM Moot
Fernando
twelve283
Skyforger
liverbnz
Pr4wn
skins4ever
Lowlandbrit
mikeygnfl
Number-25
Breadvan
GSC
cherriesfna
Good Golly I'm Olly
21 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 5 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Time for Carolina to pull out some starters me thinks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 5 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 10 Feb 2016, 6:16 pm

Seems like yesterday we were playing Pittsburgh on opening night - and seems like forever until the start of next season.

Nothing more boring than training camp non stories in June/July
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 5 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Number-25 Wed 10 Feb 2016, 9:46 pm

I'm with cherries on this... Carolina had a p*ss easy schedule this year and it helped to inflate their record. 15-1 suggests they should be awesome but does anyone really believe they are. They beat Seattle and Green Bay during the season when both of them were in a funk. The only other teams they played in the regular season that finished with a winning record were the mediocre at best Redskins and Texans.

They're a good team... but not 15-1 good... I'll give you 12-4 though.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 10 Feb 2016, 9:52 pm

Olly wrote:Seems like yesterday we were playing Pittsburgh on opening night - and seems like forever until the start of next season.

Don't worry Olly, we've got the morning after the first evening of free agency articles on which team has improved so much in that 18 hour period that they're now certs to win the Superbowl to look forward to before then.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:02 pm

Number-25 wrote:
Olly wrote:Seems like yesterday we were playing Pittsburgh on opening night - and seems like forever until the start of next season.

Don't worry Olly, we've got the morning after the first evening of free agency articles on which team has improved so much in that 18 hour period that they're now certs to win the Superbowl to look forward to before then.

and thats before we get the preseason predicted records where every team has a winning record... except maybe the Browns... I don't think their beat writer could justify that one!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:16 pm

Aside from a let down to the Falcons, they beat everyone in front of them until the SB.

They beat the crap out of the Seahawks for 30 minutes as Cherries omitted before concentrating on the other 30, then beat the living **** out of Arizona for 60 minutes.

The only NFC playoff team they didn't beat this season was Minnesota.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:17 pm

If you do enough mental gymnastics, the NFL has no good teams.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:56 pm

You know the more I think about the game, and talking to friends in the coaching fraternity, the more I think Shula was the reason they lost. Namely, no adjustments. I mean, consider the following:

Almost no help for his RT who was getting steamrollered.
Running on just about EVERY 1st down.
No rollout passes to get Newton on the edge, and at least running away from the pass rush.
No screen passes to negate the pass rush.
No draw plays when they did get into 2nd and manageable; most likely down for a draw play to actually result in a 1st down.
Virtually no 7 man line fronts to at least make the Broncos think about the run first (and then pass out of it).

Yeah, the Broncos had a great game plan, but that's what good O coaches do - see the defensive scheme and adjust. Panthers looked bankrupt of ideas.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Feb 2016, 4:53 pm

TB12 signs a new deal through 2019

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm

The Redskins will be paying Kirk Cousins $20m next season.

Let's all take a moment to let that sink in....

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 8:30 pm

better than committing that much to him over many years...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm

Yeah I agree - I'd just keep him on the tag this year, if he proves last year wasn't a fluke then sign him long term, if he does revert to type then you can just cut ties
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:25 pm

The eagles decide bizarrely to keep Bradford
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:33 pm

Yeah, odd when you consider all the star names in FA
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:52 pm

Take a punt on someone in the draft, can't be any worse than Bradford
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:55 pm

Heck I'd give chase Daniel a chance over him
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 01 Mar 2016, 11:11 pm

The thing about a 2 year deal is you have to address the future sooner than later.

Also you really cant be serious on Chase Daniel.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:04 am

I know it's the going rate and all in a QB obsessed league but the money that Cousins and Bradford, two QBs who have achieved nothing, are going to earn is just stupid.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:12 am

I get why Philly ended up paying Bradford BTW.... better the devil you know. At least with a 2 year deal, like GSC says, you can ties quick if he doesn't progress and if he does and you win with him then that's great news and you can feel happy about paying him again in a couple of years.

Redskins are in a bigger bind with Cousins... he won't accept a 2 year deal now that he has been franchised and he'll probably argue for a bigger deal than Bradford just got. Redskins are probably as well just letting him play the season out now on the franchise tag and negotiating with him next year once they have a better idea of his true worth.

$20m for Cousins.... the NFL has gone mad.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 02 Mar 2016, 8:15 am

GSC wrote:The thing about a 2 year deal is you have to address the future sooner than later.

Also you really cant be serious on Chase Daniel.

Knows Pederson's system, when he's deputised for Alex smith he looked OK - why not bring him in, draft a QB and let them battle it out - sometimes I agree with the devil you know thing, but not when the devil is Sam Bradford
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 02 Mar 2016, 9:16 am

Its a marriage of convenience. Mark Sanchez in a west coast offense is a non starter. Chase Daniel locks you into a QB at 13 with no 2nd round pick.

Bradford is the best option they have for 2016, Goff &Wentz are gone at 13, this FA class stinks.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 02 Mar 2016, 9:18 am

Also if I were a betting man, they'd cut Sanchez and bring in Daniel anyway.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Wed 02 Mar 2016, 3:56 pm

Olly wrote:TB12 signs a new deal through 2019

Interesting to see what happenns with Garappolo? There has been talk that they could trade him but he has shown promises and another drafted QB would be a bigger gamble in a couple of years.

It's a shame the NFL doesn't have a loan system. They could have then sent him to Cleveland for a couple of seasons.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 02 Mar 2016, 5:19 pm

They won't trade him - costs nothing against the cap, been in the system now for two years, and I doubt we'd get that much for him (certainly not more than the 2nd rounder he was chosen with)

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:26 am

Skins may well keep on negotiating now they have Cousins tagged. Suck or not, Cousins will want a long term deal regardless of the 20 mil. How close he is to getting what he wants in DC or holds out for FA money next year, only he and the Skins know.

In other news, Roddy White got released. Not a surprise, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay in division (Saints or Panthers?) and punish the Falcons.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 07 Mar 2016, 7:18 pm

Jeez I'm getting choked up at Peyton retiring, lord knows what I'm gonna be like when TB12 goes

The bits about what he'll miss was properly awesome
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm

One of the best retirement speeches I've ever heard. Class.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:45 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Peyton Manning retires blah blah blah... you guys seem to have missed the proper big news of the day.... the Robert Griffin III era in Washington is now officially over.

So sad

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:46 pm

Whistle

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 08 Mar 2016, 9:19 am

So DeMarco Murray has been traded to the Titans.

Thoughts? Seems the Eagles are just undoing what Chip did.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Mar 2016, 2:43 pm

I like what Phily are doing - these are players who they were essentially gonna cut and they're getting at least something for them

I think the Murray deal in particular is good for them - seems a desperate move for a name from Tennessee imo - Murray is a 28 year old RB with a lot of tread on the tires and a poor injury record who isn't a good pass catcher. Not the traits you look for in the modern day NFL
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 08 Mar 2016, 3:11 pm

Murray was very much a north-south runner in Dallas and Chip foolishly tried to convert him to an east-west runner in Philly. Was never going to work.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 08 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm

Malik Jackson to get $90m with $42m guaranteed from the Jags. Never ceases to amaze me how teams keep overpaying for players in FA and just shut their eyes and hope they can fit in their system. History tells us that in the majority of cases it never ends well.... and yet teams still do it.

The only redeeming thing about this one is that the Jags have cap space to burn.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Mar 2016, 10:19 pm

They're kinda in a tough position Jacksonville in that it's actually quite hard to spend that amount of money, so this is why such contracts are handed out.

Miami making some truly baffling moves this off season - Mike Tannenbaum clearly not learnt from his jets stint
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 08 Mar 2016, 11:50 pm

Yeah, they seem to have bought the old Dan Snyder book of how to approach NFL free agency. Even the Redskins threw their copy of that out a few years ago.

Still, you never know, maybe in 10 months time we'll all be marvelling at the Suh/Williams dream team and Byron Maxwell's 16 interceptions....

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:16 am

Olly wrote:I like what Phily are doing - these are players who they were essentially gonna cut and they're getting at least something for them

I think the Murray deal in particular is good for them - seems a desperate move for a name from Tennessee imo - Murray is a 28 year old RB with a lot of tread on the tires and a poor injury record who isn't a good pass catcher. Not the traits you look for in the modern day NFL

We would've cut them if they could. Being able to trade Murray is highway robbery regardless of what we get.

GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 09 Mar 2016, 10:49 am

Yeah, just dumping Murray's sulking bad attitude is the prize for Philly here. Managing to reduce the dead cap hit and getting something, anything, in return whilst doing so is like winning the lottery.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Mar 2016, 4:34 pm

So we now have a top 10 pick
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 09 Mar 2016, 4:43 pm

Janoris Jenkins to the Giants, Travis Benjamin to the Chargers, Rolando McClain re-signs with Dallas, Ivory to the Jags, Bruce Irvin to the Raiders and Colt McCoy has signed a three year deal with Washington.

Kinda wanted Jenkins tbh, he's a quality corner and only 27 years old.

Anyone see the money that Jacksonville threw at Malik Jackson?!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Mar 2016, 4:46 pm

Jenkins is very hit and miss. Gets burned plenty
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 09 Mar 2016, 4:48 pm

Also, the Dolphins.... wow.

They acquired two injury-prone and overrated players and traded out of the top 10.

Eagles just committed daylight robbery.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 09 Mar 2016, 5:46 pm

They've also let go of an ascending 25 year old pass rusher in favour of 31year old Mario Williams and 34 year old coming off a serious injury Cameron wake

Ah Miami
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 09 Mar 2016, 6:18 pm

I'm sure a 8 million a year and lovely new house on South Beach will mean a 100% motivated Mario too.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 09 Mar 2016, 8:24 pm

Osweiler and Lamar Miller to Houston 

Opening day may see RG3 or Kaepernick lining up for the Super Bowl champions Laugh

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:28 pm

$72m for Osweiler... just bonkers.

Denver won the Superbowl without a QB last year so I imagine they're quite relaxed about this news.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:39 pm

Osweiler isnt good so they really aren't missing out.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:41 pm

I'd rather kick the tyres on Kaepernick in the kubiak system (heavy run and bootlegs etc) than keep Osweiler for that money

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:53 pm

GSC wrote:Osweiler isnt good so they really aren't missing out.

Yep, that's why the Texans are bonkers for throwing that money at him. It's just unreal.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 09 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm

Osweiler's mental deal probably means it's all but certain Kirk Cousins plays out this season on the tag now. Cousins will point out that he should be getting at least as much as Osweiler, arguably more. Redskins, quite rightly in my view, will be telling him they need to see more from him to give him that sort of deal.

Redskins' focus now should be on extending Jordan Reed before the season so they're not left with both him and Cousins as impending FAs next season.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 09 Mar 2016, 10:13 pm

Giants splashing the cash....

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm

Vernon is a good player.

But he's not remotely a great player or even a game changing one. Reese is in pure desperation mode.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next