The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
BamBam
JDizzle
crazy_dave23
TM Moot
Fernando
twelve283
Skyforger
liverbnz
Pr4wn
skins4ever
Lowlandbrit
mikeygnfl
Number-25
Breadvan
GSC
cherriesfna
Good Golly I'm Olly
21 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 7 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Time for Carolina to pull out some starters me thinks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 7 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 12 Apr 2016, 8:45 pm

Seems a pretty meh draft 25, a 'depth' draft where you can find value on days 2/3 isn't really getting my blood pumping
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 7 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:06 pm

Rams go all in on Wentz as they get the #1 pick off tennessee
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:17 pm

Massive!

So the Rams get the Titans' first, fourth and sixth rounders in exchange for the Rams' first, two seconds, a third and also their first and third next season.

Massive trade and the Titans have done well, in my opinion. They should still get Ronnie Stanley at 15 and this year's draft is extremely deep in talent.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:25 pm

Olly wrote:Rams go all in on Wentz as they get the #1 pick off tennessee
Or Goff. Two 1s, two 2s and two 3s for a 1, 4 and 6. It's a lot, but considering they're coming up from 15 it's hardly RG3-esque.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:27 pm

And Tennessee absolutely fleeced them
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:32 pm

The two 2nds are this year also. Rule of a thumb is a pick next year is worth a round less than this year.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:49 pm

Tennessee now has a real shot to have a franchise altering draft this year and next

Need to start building that roster up
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:54 pm

6 picks in the top 100, 4 in the top 50 this year

Tennessee just put themselves in a great position
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 14 Apr 2016, 5:42 pm

Olly wrote:Rams go all in on Wentz as they get the #1 pick off tennessee
I wouldn't touch Carson Wentz. Don't get the hype on him. He seems to take an age to make a pass and has bad decision making.

I expecting the Rams to.go for California QB Jared Goff who seems much more NFL ready and has been touted by a few scouts to be the best QB by far in this draft.

I don't think this move is that big of a shock. With the Rams moving back to LA they obviously wanted to make a statement in the close season.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 14 Apr 2016, 7:47 pm

All pointless if they do a Rams and waste that haul
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Thu 14 Apr 2016, 9:53 pm

Oh the irony of the Rams spending the last 4 years mocking the Redskins for the Griffin trade and then doing this.

Interesting little aside here that I just saw mentioned today and hadn't really thought about before... since that Griffin trade, which the Rams are widely regarded as having "won", the Redskins have been to the playoffs twice while the Rams have yet to even post a winning record.

Anyone out there have confidence that Jeff Fisher will make this trade work for them? Anyone???

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 14 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm

I dunno, armed with an elite prospect under center, I could see Fisher take the Rams as high as 8-8, maybe even 8-8 if things swing their way.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 14 Apr 2016, 11:29 pm

I think this move is far more about the Los Angeles Rams having the no 1 pick than it is about who they pick. Commercially, Jared Goff from California, makes sense in boosting the Rams profile in LA and selling tickets.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:34 pm

The schedule for next season has been released, kicking off the traditional season of high hopes: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15204630/2016-nfl-schedule-season-predictions-analysis-regular-season-picks-games
18 winning records, 8 losing records if the team writers are to be believed.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:43 pm

Carolina vs Denver to kick things off. Not bad.

Bring on Mark Sanchez!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Apr 2016, 4:09 pm

Arizona-Patriots on SNF week one should be pretty tasty too

We've got a tough schedule this year - playing NFC West and AFC North in particular looks tough. But the solace being the rest of the AFC East also has to play them - the Jets first six games look brutal...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat 16 Apr 2016, 9:53 pm

It looks like the Kaepernick to Broncos deal could be almost done.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm

So I'm kinda regretting taking next Friday off work so I can watch the first round...
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Apr 2016, 7:04 pm

Haha at least you've picked up a franchise QB (that's a Cleveland joke for you folks)

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 20 Apr 2016, 7:13 pm

I think the only way you can really explain how much the Eagles gave up is by assuming they're convinced whoever they draft is going to be great just because he'll be the guy the Browns could have had.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Apr 2016, 7:19 pm

Gotta have a QB. If you ain't crap enough to get into the first couple of picks, its hard.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Apr 2016, 7:45 pm

As Tennessee and Tampa showed last year, get the QB and you can then build your team

You can have as many picks as you want, don't get the QB you're still gonna stink

Now whether Wentz turns out to be great is a different Q but at some point you gotta let it all hang out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Wed 20 Apr 2016, 8:41 pm

So I think the top of the draft may look like this:-
#1 Rams Jared Goff
#2 Eagles Carson Wentz
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2016, 10:47 pm

Panthers rescind Normans franchise tag making him a free agent

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 21 Apr 2016, 9:08 am

He's a very good player but a massive douche.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Apr 2016, 9:41 am

Wonder how he'll do outside of carolinas system - think that front 7 takes a lot of pressure off their secondary thus why they feel they can let him go
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 21 Apr 2016, 9:50 am

Even if they're far apart with contract talks, why cut him now? Seems very odd to me.

Maybe there's more to this.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 21 Apr 2016, 9:52 am

1. Rams: Jared Goff
2. Eagles: Carson Wentz
3. Chargers: Laremy Tunsil
4. Cowboys: Joey Bosa
5. Jaguars: Jalen Ramsey
6. Ravens: DeForest Buckner
7. 49ers: Jack Conklin
8. Saints: Vernon Hargreaves
9. Titans: Ronnie Stanley
10. Giants: Myles Jack

Would hazard a guess at something like that.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 21 Apr 2016, 10:28 am

You're suggesting multiple trades, then?

Conklin going before Stanley is a big shout.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:01 am

Staley is entrenched at LT, and Chips offense needs to be able to run the ball effectively to function. Conklin to me sounds like a better plug and play at RT in the run game.

I could see the Saints get aggressive after watching Browner last year, Clevelands clearly after picks. Tennessees aim is to protect Mariota, getting Stanley is a 2 for 1, since Lewan is better at RT. Dont think the value at DL/DB is there at 9 for the Bucs without Bosa/Hargreaves.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:20 am

The best part of this, is I dont have to care at all about mock drafts next year. A golden period.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:21 am

I can see the Bucs moving up too. They absolutely love Ramsey.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:29 am

There's no more QBs available but getting into the top 4 ain't gonna be cheap after those 2 trades.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:35 am

Would rather Cowboys took Ramsey than Bosa
But with Gregory and now Lawrence facing 4 game bans
Bosa might be the only option
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:01 pm

Ramsey doesn't really make much sense for Dallas. Another safety/cb hybrid a year after taking Byron Jones to play the same role.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm

18 hours on, I'm ok with this risk.

Its a very steep price sure, but the alternatives are what. The opportunity to grab a franchise QB type prospect are exceptionally rare if you aren't a 2-3 win team. Last year the Eagles couldn't get either team at 1 or 2 to budge, for likely more than we offered this year. Its rare that teams bad enough to be in the money slots for a QB, dont need or want a QB. So opportunity knocked in that regard. Also I don't follow college football at all, but the next few drafts look thin on the ground in terms of quality QB prospects. So now was really the moment to strike.

Also means I can stop being angry about the 2nd we sent for Bradford. If we had it, we're likely trading up to #1 instead for Wentz and trading that pick anyway.

Soooooo... Victory!
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:33 pm

And for all the picks we gave up. The Rams have gone precisely nowhere with the RG3 haul.

The Browns have had multiple first rounder in recent years twice. They picked Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel. Still got to hit on lesser picks.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:39 pm

The Eagles now have three picks in the first two rounds over the next three years.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:52 pm

GSC wrote:Ramsey doesn't really make much sense for Dallas. Another safety/cb hybrid a year after taking Byron Jones to play the same role.
But Carr and Claibourne are probably gone after this season
Wilcox and Church are just average
Leaves only Scandrick and Jones as nailed on starters
Just not sure we need another D-line with question mark over him
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Apr 2016, 1:10 pm

GSC wrote:18 hours on, I'm ok with this risk.

Its a very steep price sure, but the alternatives are what. The opportunity to grab a franchise QB type prospect are exceptionally rare if you aren't a 2-3 win team. Last year the Eagles couldn't get either team at 1 or 2 to budge, for likely more than we offered this year. Its rare that teams bad enough to be in the money slots for a QB, dont need or want a QB. So opportunity knocked in that regard. Also I don't follow college football at all, but the next few drafts look thin on the ground in terms of quality QB prospects. So now was really the moment to strike.

Also means I can stop being angry about the 2nd we sent for Bradford. If we had it, we're likely trading up to #1 instead for Wentz and trading that pick anyway.

Soooooo... Victory!

Clearly they're high on Wentz and think he's the future of the franchise. Ultimately if you really believe that then no price is too high.

As ever the question is what he'll turn out to be and what the Browns do with the subsequent picks

But I'd rather my team took a punt like this to win the whole thing than go 7-9 every year with Brian hoyer and a really good first round LB
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Fri 22 Apr 2016, 2:31 pm

Josh Norman visiting with the Redskins today.

Hmmm, it's a very un-McCloughan-like move. He doesn't like FA generally. Be interesting to see how it pans out. I didn't even consider us as contenders for him with us having just $11m of cap room. Someone's getting cut if we sign him that's for sure. Culliver and Roberts would save us $9m against the cap and we'd miss neither. Would still need a cleverly structured contract though, especially with Jordan Reed needing an extension and a possible big contract to be agreed with Cousins next year. Mind you, I read earlier this offseason that we stand to have a lot of cap room next season so if something could be structured with that in mind then you never know.

Still though, he's had one good season... is he worth big bucks? Carolina didn't think so in the end.... you have to worry why.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 23 Apr 2016, 1:28 am

Norman does indeed sign for the Redskins.

Have a horrible churning feeling in my stomach.... having flashbacks to the bad old days.

Gulp...... Fingers Crossed

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 23 Apr 2016, 6:45 am

Well if he plays like last year you have a top 5 CB tbf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 23 Apr 2016, 9:57 am

Yeah, that "if" is a scary thing though Olly for a fan base that has so many scars from failed high price free agents who would have been great "if" they could replicate the level of play they had with their previous team... 99% of the time they never did.

My worry with Norman is that he's only played at elite level for 1 year and how much of that was down to being part of a better defense than he'll find in Washington.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:17 pm

If he has Ealy, Short, Kuechley, Davis etc causing havoc in front of him, he can have a top 5 year.

GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 23 Apr 2016, 4:35 pm

As ever, always better to wait until the details are released before assessing whether a team has overpaid for a player and while it's a potential 5 year deal at $75m for Norman, the Redskins can get out of it in years 2 and 3 if needs be and there's no guarantees money in the final 2 years. $8m cap hit this year and minimum cap hit next year of $16.5m next year but that's made manageable by us being slated to have around $50m in cap space next offseason. After that his year 3 salary is currently guaranteed for injury only so if he turns out to have been a one year wonder last season then we can cut him loose then and we can look back on a deal that we wish we hadn't made but are glad that at least we didn't leave ourselves crippled by it.

Still though.... I'm nervous! I'd like to see us beef up the interior of that D-Line in the draft to aid what could be a decent outside pass rush this season.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 23 Apr 2016, 8:15 pm

Nothing can be worse than Haynesworth...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyforger Mon 25 Apr 2016, 5:04 pm

Brady's suspension reinstated...

Skyforger

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 5:29 pm

Oh we're doing the 2015 offseason again? What a joy...

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:08 pm

I thought the Brady thing was done and dusted last offseason. Where did this come from???

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next