The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World T20

+31
ShahenshahG
SimonofSurrey
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
djkbrown2001
Fernando
sirfredperry
dummy_half
Mat
NickisBHAFC
GSC
Corporalhumblebucket
Hoggy_Bear
temporary21
Stella
Pal Joey
KP_fan
Strings Philander
KO-KING
westisbest
Jetty
alfie
LondonTiger
JDizzle
guildfordbat
Gooseberry
jimbohammers
VTR
Duty281
Mad for Chelsea
Good Golly I'm Olly
35 posters

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

World T20 - Page 13 Empty World T20

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 09 Feb 2016, 12:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

The ICC have run some poor events in yesteryear but this is already taking the biscuit

No tickets on sale still, reports Delhi are pulling out as a host and Pakistan might not even be allowed to play. Oh and Australia have already announced their squad

But everything is "progressing smoothly" according to the latest ICC press release...

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

World T20 - Page 13 Empty Re: World T20

Post by GSC Sun 27 Mar 2016, 9:57 pm

I agree with the notion that its at the home sides discretion what tracks they want to play on.

It is a bit different when its an international tournament though Imo.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 28 Mar 2016, 1:54 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Strings Philander wrote:That was heart racing stuff - well done England for pulling through. A crazy qualification campaign but they've made it and shown great resolve throughout. Strangely proud of those lads.

Hats off to Angelo Matthews for making a real game of it.
Even more hats off to Willey, Jordan and Stokes for that bowling at the death
A whole hat stand off to Jos Buttler.

I can't decide whether Morgan getting Rashid and Ali's overs out of the way when he did was good captaincy or not. It put the side under real pressure, but maybe it was better that Willey, Jordan and Stokes knew what they had to do with their final overs - rather than Sri Lanka knowing what they would need to plunder off the spinners if they were left to the end? Because they would have fancied any target wouldn't they, especially if Matthews was still in - it was easy pickings? I'm going to give Eoin the benefit of hindsight that a semi final place deserves.

My reaction to the catch from Root must have been heard three streets away!

For me, the tournament is now officially a success, regardless of what happens next. (I'm going to make sure I remember this during the New Zealand game and just enjoy it!)

Hi Strings and all - as Olly suggested, I would have been inclined to bring one of our spinners on a little earlier. However, in the euphoria now of post match victory and a semi-final place assured, we shouldn't overlook that neither Moeen or especially Rashid bowled well. That certainly relates to today but probably also through the whole of the tournament so far where I reckon / guess their figures (runs conceded and almost definitely wickets taken) compare poorly with the spinners of most other nations. That imo needs to come under the microscope more than Morgan's captaincy.

Today there were a few too many half-volleys and full tosses from our two slow men but even ignoring those deliveries, insufficient variation for my liking. They need to mix up the flight and pace more - properly utilise Buttler as a wicket taking ally and bowl at times with the aim of a stumping. I've seen the Australian leggie Zampa in particular push the odd ball through quicker and wider with success. Too many of Rashid's balls seemed to be floated up with the hoped for aim of a boundary catch - taking nothing away from Matthews' great hitting and even greater willpower but that's a dangerous game and almost proved fatal.

Just caught up with a recording of Sky's The Verdict programme on the England v Sri Lanka game.

Willis in reply to Colvile's assertion that the spinners ''seemed to float up the same ball the whole time and Angelo kept whacking it for six'' - ''That was the naivety of it, wasn't it ... there was no real change of pace. They were sort of willing the batsman to mis-hit one up in the air but even an Angelo Mathews mis-hit will sail out of the Delhi ground. So that was poor from Ali and Rashid''.

Butcher was of a similar view - ''Spinners have got variation of pace, variation of flight and they've got variation of length and for those twelve balls [each] that got Sri Lanka right back into the contest, all those things seemed to disappear. It was the same ball, ball after ball and Angelo who had a dodgy hamstring didn't even have to get out of his crease to come down and hit them. They just kept landing almost in a drop kick area and he kept drop kicking them out of the park''.

To be fair to Ali and Rashid and the pundit himself, Willis also added that, ''on other occasions, they've bowled well''. I agree they've definitely been tidier and clearly more economical in the other games. However, I'm still disappointed that they - Rashid, in particular - haven't been more of a wicket taking threat to date.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 28 Mar 2016, 2:10 pm

Eh I'll cut them some slack, Matthews was in the zone and they've been our only consistent bowlers this tournament so far so one bad game I'll give them.

Intrigued to see how they do against a NZ batting line up which hasn't exactly set the world alight yet
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Mar 2016, 5:22 pm

I would prefer NZ over Eng in the final.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 28 Mar 2016, 8:44 pm

I think it will be a England/West Indies final. Think I'll have a bite of the 5/1 that is available for that particular double.

Of course, that's reliant on England actually (as the cliche goes) firing on all cylinders for once!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Mar 2016, 11:57 am

Here's a fun quiz question: what's unique about the following match?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/412683.html

(it's not the fact that the final over of Australia's innings was a maiden in which FIVE wickets fell...)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 29 Mar 2016, 12:25 pm

KP_fan wrote:I would prefer NZ over Eng in the final.

So you can get on with bashing England?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 29 Mar 2016, 12:40 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Here's a fun quiz question: what's unique about the following match?

(it's not the fact that the final over of Australia's innings was a maiden in which FIVE wickets fell...)

Only match where all the wickets for both teams? fell in t20?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Mar 2016, 12:47 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:Here's a fun quiz question: what's unique about the following match?

yup. Surprisingly both teams getting bowled out has only happened once in T20 internationals...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 29 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm

Momentum thing I suspect. Not surprising that Pakistan would be involved in such a mad match.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 29 Mar 2016, 2:16 pm

Heart would like England-India.

Head thinks NZ-India
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 29 Mar 2016, 2:36 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

yup. Surprisingly both teams getting bowled out has only happened once in T20 internationals...

Also surprised - didn't twig even when I looked at the scorecard. Good question, MfC.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 29 Mar 2016, 3:01 pm

I agree with GSC

I can't see the West Indies causing India too many problems and New Zealand have just been too good so far this tournament and think they'll just pip us
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 29 Mar 2016, 5:10 pm

Gooseberry wrote:

Eng are a far bigger threat.....have many more match winners than NZ
Stokes, Root, Morgan and Butler.......4 guys who can turn the game on the head with the bat.

and their bowling is the type that Indian top order doesn't like fast..... to fast medium...hit the deck hard....everyone other than Kohli is struggling with the bat,...and it would be too much of an ask for Kohli to expect to play another blinding match winner.

It would help India's cause if Yuvraj remains unfit and Rahane or Pandey plays in his stead.

If Eng are wise and observant...they would bring someone else in place of leggie Rashid........a fast bowler or a seam bowling allrounder or a pure batsman.

even the less capable and out of form Indian batsman would be able to get after Rashid
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 29 Mar 2016, 5:41 pm

In the ind-WI game ...ind are the definite favorites . Superior organization, planning and intensity of purpose should see India through.
Against NZ:
Eng would be favorites .....they bat deep, have more match winners and a superior all round bowling attack.
Unless the BCCI prepares a spinning pitch to favor kiwi spinners and help India avoid Eng in the finals....and then prepares a belter Patta for the finals.
Too much scheming ....but if I was India captain...i would quietly hint that to my board Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 29 Mar 2016, 8:09 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:

Eng are a far bigger threat.....have many more match winners than NZ
Stokes, Root, Morgan and Butler.......4 guys who can turn the game on the head with the bat.

and their bowling is the type that Indian top order doesn't like fast..... to fast medium...hit the deck hard....everyone other than Kohli is struggling with the bat,...and it would be too much of an ask for Kohli to expect to play another blinding match winner.

It would help India's cause if Yuvraj remains unfit and Rahane or Pandey plays in his stead.

If Eng are wise and observant...they would bring someone else in place of leggie Rashid........a fast bowler or a seam bowling allrounder or a pure batsman.

even the less capable and out of form Indian batsman would be able to get after Rashid

Always get twitchy when KP_f and myself are on or close to the same page. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 30 Mar 2016, 8:33 am

On a training course this afternoon so missing the game - cmon England!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 30 Mar 2016, 9:32 am

guildfordbat wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Always get twitchy when KP_f and myself are on or close to the same page. Wink

Further doubts about our spin attack raised below before quickly scuttling back.

''England may think about switching one of their spinners for a seamer, but will likely abandon the thought. The XI that defeated Sri Lanka is likely to take the field again.'' - Andrew Fidel Fernando (nope, me neither Smile ) in his ESPN cricinfo preview.

To be fair, I'm not actually wanting one of our spinners to be dropped. Just for them both to bowl better and be more effective.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:23 am

I think both will play. Moeen is also potentially a key batsman and has already won a game for us with the bat. With Stokes in there we have 4 pace options already. Wouldn't Topley have to come is if we wanted 5 seam options? He was really poor and rightly dropped for Plunkett

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:38 am

VTR - yes, you're right. The cricinfo preview suggests there are seam options [plural] to consider bringing in but there is actually only one - Topley who was mighty disappointing in his two games.

All in all, I don't think a change will be made or should it. However, [SPOILER ALERT FOR BL**DING OBVIOUS] both Ali and Rashid will need to be a lot more on the money than when they were bowling against Sri Lanka.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 30 Mar 2016, 10:42 am

Guildford how dare thee be against Adil/Moeen - shame on you good sir (they have had only one bad game on a non helpful wicket tbf to the lads)

But yeah obviously everyone will need to play well today Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 30 Mar 2016, 11:23 am

Get back to your course, Olly! Wink

PS Off topic and apologies for that but, Olly, keep your eyes peeled for the squad to be named later today for the Loughborough game - might be significant.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 30 Mar 2016, 11:30 am

Don't get the calls for Topley to replace a spinner TBH. As pointed out Moeen played a key role with the bat in the Afghanistan match, and having one of Jordan/Willey/Rashid at 7 leaves a somewhat long tail IMO, you want a proper batsman at 7. Also Rashid bowled nicely in that game, and both spinners were our best bowlers in the SA match (Rashid coming back very well from a pasting early on). Have people forgotten how poor Topley was in his two matches? I'm a fan of the lad but he just didn't bowl well. Finally, 4+2 is surely a far far better balance than 5+1? Wasn't that long ago (two matches) we were talking about playing three spinners, now it's just one? crazy thoughts.

No, if the selectors really feel that Rashid isn't up to the job, and I doubt they do, they'll go with Dawson surely.

Anyone watching the women's match? Just switched it on, Aus made 132, decent score, but stuttered at the end looking at the scorecard (or England came back well). England's batting has been hit and miss so far, with Taylor not scoring any, so hope she can come good.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 30 Mar 2016, 12:21 pm

England ladies 74 - 1 in reply to Aussies 132 and almost up with the required run rate. Doing well so far, tho loss of Edwards was a big blow. Once wickets start to fall England ladies have a habit of folding quite quickly. So match still wide open.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 30 Mar 2016, 1:06 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:England ladies 74 - 1 in reply to Aussies 132 and almost up with the required run rate.  Doing well so far, tho loss of Edwards was a big blow. Once wickets start to fall England ladies have a habit of folding quite quickly.  So match still wide open.

No surprise - England did indeed implode!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 30 Mar 2016, 1:09 pm

Congrats to Australia, who held their nerve, but poor batting from England, too many dot balls ultimately costing them. In particular, Knight and Sciver scored 1 off 9 balls between them. If they'd scored from just half those dots, the result could have been very different. This put too much pressure on the later players to find the big shots, which they just couldn't do.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 30 Mar 2016, 1:20 pm

Reading the scorecard in my lunch break - 69-0 chasing 130 odd - dreadful batting from the middle order really
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 1:59 pm

If England win the toss they'll win the match, in reality toss is luck and pick has favoured nz, apart from the Pakistan match, pitch got awful in the second innings and became an impossible chase.

I honestly think new Zealand have had luck on their sides, with some poor umpiring and Williamson winning the tosses, reckon England are in a good position, pace attack is about the same as southee and Boult don't play and England got better spinners (debatable, really like rashid) and batting is way superior, only Williamson looks solid. Guptil is also dangerous.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 2:00 pm

That is if topley is kept away

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 30 Mar 2016, 2:13 pm

good toss to win for England IMO. I know NZ say they'd have batted anyway, and defending totals has worked for them so far, but different conditions here you'd expect, with the dew making their spinners less effective. Think England are in general better at chasing, so they'll be very pleased with that.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 2:55 pm

Bring spinners on, munro looked clueless vs Shakib, I'd like to see rashid have a go

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 2:55 pm

Say that and Plunkett gets hit with 3 4s...

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:11 pm

Where's moeen or even root

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:14 pm

God sake, Morgan is a crap captain. Bring the spinners on

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:16 pm

Williamson out... Moeen comes on finally.. Poor captaincy... Came on far too late

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:18 pm

Anderson can't play off spin or good slower balls from pacers

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:22 pm

What's the pitch like folks? Twitter seems to think 180-200 is needed for NZ
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:25 pm

Looks 180ish pitch

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:25 pm

That's par am talking about

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:29 pm

Cheers King - hoping I come out of my exam about 5ish with England well on top!

Probably they'll get 200+ and we'll be 62-3 tho Sad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:30 pm

Just catching up on my laptop - thought that was a cracking catch by Moeen.

What's the bowling and fielding been like?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:38 pm

Fielding good, bowling poor start (3-10), spinners been good, Plunkett second over poor but been decent, stokes been poor/unlucky. Willey was good.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:39 pm

Moeen should have come on around 8th over, not 11th

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:39 pm

Plunkett finishing poor

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:40 pm

Not one slower ball to Anderson... The guy can't play them

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:45 pm

Jordan pin point yorkers so far

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:49 pm

I always rated this lad Jordan Smile

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 30 Mar 2016, 3:59 pm

And Stokes following up - overs 17 and 18 see NZ from 133-3 to 141-6. Big shift of momentum, as we've gone from looking at a score around 200 to more like 170

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 30 Mar 2016, 4:03 pm

Think NZ's batting in the second half has been very poor. England have bowled OK, but a lot of the wickets have come from balls which could/should have been put away. Stokes was unlucky in his first spell to Munro, but has got lucky in his second spell for sure.

Fielding's been sharp though, a couple of excellent saves, and Moeen, Morgan with very good catches...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 30 Mar 2016, 4:04 pm

VTR wrote:I always rated this lad Jordan Smile

I think I'll refrain from comment there, VTR. I do though like a man who speaks his mind - even if it is after the event! Smile

Thanks for the updates, Ko-King. Just from the stats, it looks as if Moeen could have bowled more than his 2 overs - yes?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next