The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
BlueCoverman
skiddy
Davie
McLaren
super_realist
GunsGerms
Mad for Chelsea
kwinigolfer
puligny
navyblueshorts
Nay
LadyPutt
hend085
Bob_the_Job
westisbest
beninho
SmithersJones
MontysMerkin
JAS
golfermartin
sirbenson
pedro
raycastleunited
I'm never wrong
Roller_Coaster
29 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 25 Feb 2016, 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Super

For starters I live in a one bedroom flat. But I think you know that it should not take the people of a nation putting refugees up in their house before the government is required to do anything about it.

For example the government could easily rent 50 premier inns and put the refugees there until they can be given homes.

"Of course it matters. They have a far greater responsibility than the UK does"

So you are saying that because those countries closer to Syria have neglected their responsibilities the UK has the right to do nothing? You are saying that one country doing nothing is sufficient for another country to justify doing nothing?

bob

WTF was that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 26 May 2016, 8:02 am

McLaren wrote:I prefer mid-century.

Man of the people.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Fri 27 May 2016, 11:34 am

Super

I know you think turning up to a golf event in golf shoes is had enough, but how about this guy at todays BMW PGA?

Full Kit W*nk*r:

Loads more on the GCW twitter feed. https://twitter.com/gcw
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 May 2016, 5:00 pm

GCW has been going downhill for a while, but the FKW features are quite funny.
Do they think they are going to get asked to play perhaps? Why else would you wear your gear?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 May 2016, 5:03 pm

Super

I posted it because the guy in that photo is not only dressed to play, shoes and all, but also has a rangefinder on his belt. WTF?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 May 2016, 5:07 pm

Exactly, it's pathetic. It's like someone turning up at the football, dressed as a referee with a whistle and cards. No wonder golfers are perceived as fuds

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 27 May 2016, 8:11 pm

super_realist wrote:GCW has been going downhill for a while

GCW have never really been up the hill in the first place. OK for the first few weeks they were mildly funny but now they just come across as a load of Surrey rich kids suffering the hardship of playing nice courses (probably introduced by their stockbroker fathers) whilst sneering at middle aged people - some of whom aren't that bad, just don't fit their agenda - and bringing a rather boorish, ladish attitude to the table.

Their original agenda seemed to be to poke fun at all those we like to laugh at, but now it seems unless you are under 30 and like to have a few Stellas during your round you aren't welcome in their world. Has anyone listened to their podcasts?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 May 2016, 8:39 pm

Davie

I have never listened to their podcasts or taken much notice of what they have to say. I just follow them for the pictures of sad middle aged men. I don't drink stella and I am not a "lad" but do find a lot of golf club types a bit tragic.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 May 2016, 10:31 pm

I like that they take the urine out of the traditional golfer.

They are increasingly unfunny and repetitive, but it's good that someone has been able to poke fun at golf and those involved in playing and running it even if they have milked it too long.

They never quite had the simplicity of @getinthesea for picking their targets, but at least they tried.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 30 May 2016, 1:15 pm

Did anyone watch the new Top Gear? I thought it was rubbish. Had to turn it off it was so bad.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 30 May 2016, 4:09 pm

Didn't watch super. Might have a look at it on iplayer at some point but I really can't stand Chris Evans. Such a plonker.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 30 May 2016, 4:17 pm

Not as bad as he used to be, but he's one of those planks who just has to try and be "zany" and says stuff like "how good is that?" all the time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 30 May 2016, 4:19 pm

Super

How are your club championship defense preparations going? I assume they are going ok if you have time to watch top gear. Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 30 May 2016, 5:41 pm

First round this weekend coming Mac. Game is in decent shape so first of all looking to simply put two rounds in to qualify. We'll see what happens if I can do that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 31 May 2016, 11:12 am

Where's Oakey these days?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 31 May 2016, 2:12 pm

Haven't seen mysti, and he's not in Woy's England squad.
Delph already out but Drinkwater and Townsend also left behind.

I would say he's taking too many crocks and out-of-formers, leaving behind two guys who are bang in form and could provide a spark. Or at least some midfield resilience.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 01 Jun 2016, 1:17 pm

Drinky must be wondering what he needed to do couple of hattricks maybe . Spent a good deal of time in a Leicester public house on the subject last evening. Vardy if he gets a start would be much more effective with DW in midfield.
Woy will be going fairly defensive and hoping the full backs can provide the spark.
Still -he will be rested and determined for next season.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 01 Jun 2016, 6:22 pm

Henderson, Lallana, Barkley and Milner all pretty ordinary players and Wilshere probably a long way from full form and fitness. I have no idea what Roy is up to dropping Drinkwater as he would clearly be more useful than all of those mentioned above.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 02 Jun 2016, 11:29 am

Mac, the words England and Ordinary are interchangeable. It doesn't matter if Woy chooses Drinkwater or Milner, the outcome is the same. Abject mediocrity.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:51 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, the words England and Ordinary are interchangeable. It doesn't matter if Woy chooses Drinkwater or Milner, the outcome is the same. Abject mediocrity.
Hackers one might say....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, the words England and Ordinary are interchangeable. It doesn't matter if Woy chooses Drinkwater or Milner, the outcome is the same. Abject mediocrity.

Least they made it though, eh super realist

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm

LOL Next he'll claim he doesn't care about scotchland, doesn't like scotches or haggisses, and never wears a skirt. The lady protests too much I think
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:09 pm

westisbest wrote:

Least they made it though, eh super realist

As you may recall, I don't consider myself a Scottish person, so it doesn't bother me that Scotland aren't there.

However, England had the easiest group, has massive resources, a huge population, yet still plays international football off a 12 handicap. Hackers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:19 pm

You are Scottish though, regardless, football fan or not it just seems stupid you putting them down when they are better than the country you are from.

You comment a lot on them, seem's to bother you.

Also my comment wasn't a dig at Scotland not being there, it's a shame they're not, although would have been at Ireland's expense.

Obviously rather Ireland there.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:38 pm

By an accident of birth I am, but that doesn't mean I have to support them.

I'm not really putting England down, I'm pointing out that discussing who Woy should have picked and who he shouldn't is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It's pointless, because England haven't a hope regardless of who they put on the pitch.
Since when did your own house have to be in order for criticism to be allowed anyway?

Wonder if Ireland will be the laughingstock they were last time out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 02 Jun 2016, 1:49 pm

McLaren wrote:Henderson, Lallana, Barkley and Milner all pretty ordinary players and Wilshere probably a long way from full form and fitness.  I have no idea what Roy is up to dropping Drinkwater as he would clearly be more useful than all of those mentioned above.

Your first sentence is true. Shame about Drinkwater I would have had him in the squad. However, let's be clear he had a great season but is totally unproven at this level. Same with Vardy: one thing scoring for fun in a fast paced open prem league match, slightly different in a slow, tight high pressure tournament.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:22 pm

super_realist wrote:By an accident of birth I am, but that doesn't mean I have to support them.

I'm not really putting England down, I'm pointing out that discussing who Woy should have picked and who he shouldn't is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It's pointless, because England haven't a hope regardless of who they put on the pitch.
Since when did your own house have to be in order for criticism to be allowed anyway?

Wonder if Ireland will be the laughingstock they were last time out.

Had a tough group last time out and we were one of the weakest teams.
I'm sure you will be on here doing your usual rubbish if we do lose all 3 again.

I'm just glad we are there.
Good craic again for the fans and the players get to play against some of the best players in the world where they may not at club level.
Good experience.

Keane's last tournament, be a great player for Ireland.

It's all good.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:33 pm

You won't lose all three again. Not a chance.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:38 pm

Let's hope not.
Hopefully we can beat Sweden first up.

I think we will find it tough.
Just hope they play well in the group and see what happens.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 02 Jun 2016, 3:06 pm

Ireland's group looks hard as hell. Can't see them getting out of that. Especially not with that Oaf Roy Keane as part of the management.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 4:12 pm

Sill annoying as always Roy Keane.
Always playing the tough guy.

Liked him less since he retired from football.

In some ways some of his interviews are amusing.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 02 Jun 2016, 5:08 pm

Keane thinks he's tough, but he's just a coward and a hypocrite. Goes on about the Irish boys not trying hard enough, yet he's the one who walked out on a world cup. Amazed anyone gives the clown a job.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:49 am

raycastleunited wrote:
McLaren wrote:Henderson, Lallana, Barkley and Milner all pretty ordinary players and Wilshere probably a long way from full form and fitness.  I have no idea what Roy is up to dropping Drinkwater as he would clearly be more useful than all of those mentioned above.

Your first sentence is true. Shame about Drinkwater I would have had him in the squad. However, let's be clear he had a great season but is totally unproven at this level. Same with Vardy: one thing scoring for fun in a fast paced open prem league match, slightly different in a slow, tight high pressure tournament.
More nonsense it's hard to imagine being written. Yeah, Wayne Rooney has had such a prolific season in the Premiership hasn't he? Drinkwater should be in, as should, maybe, Noble.
Last night's Portugal game was ridiculous. Yep, play Rooney up the middle and f*** up your two most prolific strikers. Shunt Alli out wide 'coz that's where he's at his best. Absurd.

S_R is, I suspect, absolutely right. Deckchairs and Titanics. Same old, same old.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:55 am

Interesting stat on the Beeb website:
Leeds Utd have had six managers since Wilshere last played 90 minutes (in one game anyway) for Arsenal.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:25 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

More nonsense it's hard to imagine being written. Yeah, Wayne Rooney has had such a prolific season in the Premiership hasn't he? Drinkwater should be in, as should, maybe, Noble.
Last night's Portugal game was ridiculous. Yep, play Rooney up the middle and f*** up your two most prolific strikers. Shunt Alli out wide 'coz that's where he's at his best. Absurd.

S_R is, I suspect, absolutely right. Deckchairs and Titanics. Same old, same old.

Spot on Navy, It's funny to claim any player potentially picked for England is "unproven at that level" so perhaps ought not to be risked, as I can't think of a single England player in the last 15 years who has distinguished himself for his country in anything other than the odd good game. So, if any England player has "proven" anything, it's that they don't get International football.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:29 am

Drinkwater should have been in place of Henderson. Townshend in place of barkley. We have lack of defensive midfield cover if dier gets crocked and have no width at all. Though I guess in today's football the full backs are your width and we have good full backs. I think vardy will give away lots of fouls.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 03 Jun 2016, 3:25 pm

Only in English football would Henderson be considered a half decent player.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 03 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm

In Scottish football he'd be a superstar.
I like Henderson; he doesn't need to be an international superstar to be a good player.
Doesn't deserve to be playing ahead of a fully fit and in-form Drinkwater though, when he's hardly played for three months.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Jun 2016, 4:05 pm

Kwini, someone from League One would be a superstar in Scotland. The standard is so dreadful.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 03 Jun 2016, 4:25 pm

Hope the England team didn't mess up the pitch for the Bruce Springsteen concert.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:30 pm

Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 03 Jun 2016, 11:23 pm

Both are dancing in the dark.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 04 Jun 2016, 12:21 am

Meh. I honestly don't think Drinkwater is particularly good. Would still have had him over Milner, whose purpose I am unsure of, though he does offer versatility I guess (i.e. he can be pretty poor in several different positions). Would have preferred Noble TBH, whose extra physicality would have been an interesting option to have. For the record I like Henderson, though he's not had a great season.

Though as SR says, not sure it'll make much difference. England's defence is leaky as a sieve, so their only chance of getting somewhere should be to try to score lots of goals, which probably means dropping Rooney at the mo. Certainly Rooney at the front of the diamond seemed to completely blunt Kane and Vardy's effectiveness. Would rather see any of Alli, Sterling or Barkley there. Alli actually looks genuine quality, Sterling has looked sharp in the friendlies and created goals, while Barkley has the ability to turn matches, albeit he's woefully inconsistent.

I think my preferred team would be
Hart
Walker Smalling Stones Rose
Dier
Henderson Wilshire
Alli
Kane Vardy

But realise there's no chance of Rooney not playing, so...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 04 Jun 2016, 1:46 am

Sounds like Mohammed Ali is close to the end of the count.

Greatest sportsman of our time?
Not necessarily but certainly top five - we'd probably all have different people in positions 1 to 5, but not many would exclude Ali.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 04 Jun 2016, 8:48 am

Yup, he's pegged it. Been on the cars for a long time.

I remember when I was really young laughing at his joke about being in bed before the light went out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 04 Jun 2016, 10:37 am

Maybe I am the wrong generation but never understood the hype around Ali, he seemed to exemplify the big headed loud mouth character that is ubiquitous in boxing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 04 Jun 2016, 11:33 am

He had genuine charisma though Mac, not just the blustering 3rd person trumpet blowing of your average boxer.

I don't like boxing, not sure I've ever even seen an Ali fight, but he was engaging, intelligent, unpredictable and had genuine wit.

Of course, there was a fair bit to dislike him for, but he's been a genuine top sportsman, and while he may have been scheduled to die a long time, I can't imagine when the likes of Palmer or Nicklaus or 9C die that people will give two hoots.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 06 Jun 2016, 12:12 pm

McLaren wrote:Maybe I am the wrong generation but never understood the hype around Ali, he seemed to exemplify the big headed loud mouth character that is ubiquitous in boxing.
He was promoting his fights Mac; right or wrong he was one of the first with the trash-talking that's now commonplace - he was much, much better at it than the current meatheads that try to do it. Look at what he stood for outside of the ring. Added to that, he was an amazing fighter.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Jun 2016, 2:06 pm

If Ali still had the brains he was born with, he'd've retired after the Frazier fights and perhaps enjoyed a better quality of life his final thirty years. Easy to forget now, but his last few years in the ring were a pretty sad sight, exploited by promoters and beaten up by fighters not fit to be in the ring with him.
Not sure that he deserves the god-like accolades being bestowed upon him - would still rate him among the top five post WWII athletes though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 06 Jun 2016, 2:38 pm

Kwini

"would still rate him among the top five post WWII athletes though"

I guess it would be optimistic to think Tiger is on that list?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm

I think we'd all have different lists Mac. Mine would feature Nicklaus as a surefire top-tenner, and ahead of Woods.
Would certainly also have Pele at #1, followed by Michael Jordan, Ali and Gretzky in no particular order. Big think after that but Laver, Spitz, Zatopek would have to be considered, not to mention Bannister, Moore and Redgrave in the GB iconic category.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next