The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours III...

+61
DaveM
Recwatcher16
chris_501
whocares
RDW
Pot Hale
PhilBB
Knackeredknees
nathan
international198
Driver
TheMildlyFranticLlama
kingelderfield
stnick88
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
englishborn
LordDowlais
BigGee
NeilyBroon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
beshocked
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
geoff999rugby
MonkeyOwain12
exile jack
Fluxy
Rugby Fan
Artful_Dodger
WELL-PAST-IT
Heaf
profitius
Margin_Walker
munkian
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Cumbrian
BamBam
HongKongCherry
propdavid_london
stub
Bathman_in_London
True Raven
ChequeredJersey
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
jbeadlesbigrighthand
demosthenes
Welly
yappysnap
Bathite
VinceWLB
Hazel Sapling
65 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 15 Empty Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 04 Mar 2016, 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Aaron Jarvis has signed for Clermont (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ospreys-prop-jarvis-to-join-clermont/). The Osprey's signed Rhodri Jones as a replacement I guess.

Steve Shingler (of is he eligible for Scotland or not fame) has gone to the Blues. Straight swap of Shingler for Patchell. Hope Cardiff are paying less as Scarlets got the better player (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/shingler-swaps-scarlets-for-blues/)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 15 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by propdavid_london Fri 15 Jul 2016, 2:11 pm

Dom Waldock trial at Newcastle.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36794722
So his stint in the US didn't last long then........

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 15 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by George Carlin Sat 16 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm

yappysnap wrote:Fissler reporting that Todd Blackadder may be the new Bath coach

Numpty wrote:Hearing Todd Blackadder for Bath's DOR with Tabai Matson as head coach. Could be announced before the weekend. #rugbyunited @TheRugbyPaper

The mans a tool but often correct with these calls.
Fissler or Blackadder? 

Hopefully the former because the latter is a mainstay of Canterbury rugby and a very good coach.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 16 Jul 2016, 11:54 pm

George Carlin wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Fissler reporting that Todd Blackadder may be the new Bath coach

Numpty wrote:Hearing Todd Blackadder for Bath's DOR with Tabai Matson as head coach. Could be announced before the weekend. #rugbyunited @TheRugbyPaper

Fissler or Blackadder? 

Hopefully the former because the latter is a mainstay of Canterbury rugby and a very good coach.

I can't make my mind up as to whether Blackadder is a great coach who has managed a squad with high profile players carefully or whether he's an average coach that's been lucky to have great players.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Fri 22 Jul 2016, 5:33 pm

Ben Ransom leaves Sarries for Irish.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 22 Jul 2016, 8:54 pm

He'll tear up the Championship. When Lewington is fit that'll be an awesome back three for Championship level.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 22 Jul 2016, 9:12 pm

Probably Ranson's level tbh. Seen him play in the champ for Bedford and he was decent despite being able to step off one foot. Good signing for Irish to get them through the year.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 22 Jul 2016, 9:48 pm

He needs consistent game time if he's going to improve so a move to LI may work well. Playing for Bedford he'll have been at Sarries for most the week and the released to Bedford after the midweek contact training.

He's had plenty of potential and not really gone anywhere, little surprised no AP club wanted to take him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 23 Jul 2016, 7:37 am

Bristol perhaps, but I'm not sure who else?

We have Hammersley and Tait who are better players, Wuss have Pennell.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Jul 2016, 7:43 am

I was thinking Gloucester now they've released Cook. Maybe Bath with their tiny squad.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 23 Jul 2016, 9:32 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Fissler or Blackadder? 

I can't make my mind up as to whether Blackadder is a great coach who has managed a squad with high profile players carefully or whether he's an average coach that's been lucky to have great players.

I was thinking exactly the same. Crusaders have definitely been no where near as successful trophies wise with him, but how much of that is the other NZ teams suddenly coming good in a big way? And the Reds, Waratahs and SA sides having outstanding one off seasons. With the players he has/had though, they haven't got much back.

Still if have been happy with him at Quins.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Jul 2016, 9:47 am

yappysnap wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Fissler or Blackadder? 

I was thinking exactly the same. Crusaders have definitely been no where near as successful trophies wise with him, but how much of that is the other NZ teams suddenly coming good in a big way? And the Reds, Waratahs and SA sides having outstanding one off seasons. With the players he has/had though, they haven't got much back.

Still if have been happy with him at Quins.

He's been very consistent in that the Crusaders have always been challengers. He's also brought through players when the big names have moved on. He's pulled Mo'unga from nowhere and developed him into an excellent young ten this season with the Samoan stepping up as 10/15 cover. Considering he's had limited budget to replace Carter and Slade they are great options and should be great options for a few years.

As you say he's never been the stand out top dog and one season wonder teams seem to have derailed him year on year.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 23 Jul 2016, 10:38 am

I'm not sure if it's been posted here but Exeter have signed Reds prop Greg Holmes. It's a good addition to an improving squad under Baxter no doubt, but it is the best signing given Australia's track record at scrums?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Jul 2016, 1:55 pm

Given Exeter's track record at scrums I suspect we'll see him either improve over the course of next season or simply not feature. Baxter does a remarkable job with his pack and often without big names has excellent set pieces.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Jul 2016, 2:08 pm

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/wasps-sign-eastmond/

Wasps sign Kyle Eastmond after Bath decide not to honour their verbal contract.

That's one hell of a back line for next season;

9. Simpsom/Robson
10. Cipriani
11. Wade
12. Eastmond
13. Daly
14. Halai
15. Beale

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 23 Jul 2016, 2:14 pm

I thought Eastmond was moving to Sale. Bet Cipriani will be happy to see his join Wasps.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 23 Jul 2016, 2:34 pm

That midfield looks rather soft

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 23 Jul 2016, 2:45 pm

BamBam wrote:That midfield looks rather soft

10-13 looks like a disaster defensively although it could be electric. It'll be an interesting team in winter anyway.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Jul 2016, 3:38 pm

I wouldn't day Daly was soft in defence. He's obviously not the biggest guy but I wouldn't have put him down as a weak link last season. Cipriani improved under Diamond, won't ever be a strong defender but he's no longer the walking liability he used to be. Wade and Beale aren't great defenders either though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 23 Jul 2016, 9:01 pm

If Alapati Leiua can get/stay fit then he will offer a bulkier option in the midfield.

Rumours around Wasps fans when it was announced Siale Piutau wasn't staying were that he will return mid season after his Top League contract finishes. If that's the case then he's a very solid 12 defensively.

Guy Armitage is also a unit who made a smart decision by getting game time with London Welsh this season. Hopefully it's paid off and we see some more of him.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Jul 2016, 9:17 pm

Siale Piatau was excellent for Wasps last season, if they can get him back once he's finished in Japan that would be a good signing. If Leiua could not be broken for a length of time he may prove to be a decent signing, at this rate he'll probably need to go on loan to the Championship to get game time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jul 2016, 4:37 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Given Exeter's track record at scrums I suspect we'll see him either improve over the course of next season or simply not feature. Baxter does a remarkable job with his pack and often without big names has excellent set pieces.

I think you're right about that, Baxter is probably one of the top coaches in the NH. He brought Francis onto the scene, I wish he could go on to improve him as he's becoming a bit of a disappointment internationally and we've almost run out props on both sides of the scrum.

Wasps squad is looking pretty good... I suspect that they and Sarries will be the top teams in England next season, along with Exeter.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 24 Jul 2016, 4:51 pm

He also took Harry Williams from a short spell at Nottingham and turned him into a really reliable AP prop. His strength is getting his pack to work as a cohesive unit. Players flourish within that environment. I'm not sure players outside of his system perform as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 25 Jul 2016, 9:19 am

Bit of southern hemisphere news. Ioane supposedly in to replace Nadolo at Crusaders. 

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ioane-off-to-crusaders/

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 25 Jul 2016, 10:52 am

9. Simpsom/Robson
10. Cipriani
11. Wade
12. Eastmond
13. Daly
14. Halai
15. Beale

Wow an exciting back line...but agree its not the most powerful.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Jul 2016, 11:03 am

AP Newswire wrote:Newcastle Falcons announce signing of former Leicester Fly Half

Director of Rugby Dean Richards was in a rare loquacious mood at the Falcons training ground this morning, as news leaked of the Falcon's new signing.

"Look guys", he said "Andy did so magnificently that we decided to go back to the same well. Both John and I have been a huge fan of Les for as long as we can remember, and he showed in the Legends game last season that the magic is still there."

Les Cusworth made 12 appearances for England, and was a key player in the Leicester team that won 3 consecutive Twickenham finals. Should he make the pitch on 2nd September against Sale he will make a new record for the oldest Premiership player. Richards is not worried though. "Class is permanent, age just a number on a passport"

It should perhaps be noted that due to the risk of DVT, Cusworth will not be available for any games requiring flights.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 28 Jul 2016, 12:22 pm

http://www.quins.co.uk/news/harlequins-sign-former-connacht-number-8-george-naoupu/

Any one know much about this chap? If he's been part of a very good Connaught side last season then I would imagine he will really add something to a Quins side that at times lacked grunt.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 28 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm

propdavid_london wrote:http://www.quins.co.uk/news/harlequins-sign-former-connacht-number-8-george-naoupu/

Any one know much about this chap?  If he's been part of a very good Connaught side last season then I would imagine he will really add something to a Quins side that at times lacked grunt.

I could be wrong but he didn't really play much in the Pro 12 think he got more game time in the Challenge cup.

Found the stats
This season
Pro 12
Starts - 3
Sub - 4

Challenge Cup
starts - 3
Sub - 4

Last season he was more prominent.
Not much in the way of a try scoring 8 but prob much of a workhorse 8, he covers a few positions though.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 28 Jul 2016, 12:44 pm

Possible conversion to lock? That's more in line with what Quins need.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 28 Jul 2016, 1:20 pm

Yeah perhaps, although I quite like our academy kids. And under the guardianship of Horwell they should continue to develop nicely.
Or there has always been long term talk of moving Easter into the engine room.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 28 Jul 2016, 3:59 pm

Apparently blackadder bringing volavola with him. Would cover 10/15 when Watson ford Priestland are away. Desperately need centres and wingers, open side and a th!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 28 Jul 2016, 4:39 pm

Bathite wrote:Apparently blackadder bringing volavola with him. Would cover 10/15 when Watson ford Priestland are away. Desperately need centres and wingers, open side and a th!

We really need a tiny violin emoticon on here, poor dabs Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 28 Jul 2016, 5:11 pm

propdavid_london wrote:http://www.quins.co.uk/news/harlequins-sign-former-connacht-number-8-george-naoupu/

Any one know much about this chap?  If he's been part of a very good Connaught side last season then I would imagine he will really add something to a Quins side that at times lacked grunt.

A good player from what little I saw of him. Nothing like Vunipola who flattens people, but still a strong hard carrier. He's also a good link between forwards and backs as he is fast and has good hands. High tempo player best sums it up so it seems like he would fit in at Quins.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 28 Jul 2016, 6:56 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

A good player from what little I saw of him. Nothing like Vunipola who flattens people, but still a strong hard carrier. He's also a good link between forwards and backs as he is fast and has good hands. High tempo player best sums it up so it seems like he would fit in at Quins.

Quick, great step and chooses good lines. Lacks game management hence why he's missued out on the Crusaders starting jersey. Will score plenty for Quins.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 28 Jul 2016, 8:01 pm

Couldn't get Read out of that 8 jersey eh, aw man.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 28 Jul 2016, 8:21 pm

Sorry got the wrong quote. I was talking about Volavola. Who got benched in favour of Mo'unga.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 29 Jul 2016, 8:25 am

Easter stepping down - signing makes more sense now - http://www.quins.co.uk/news/harlequins-number-8-nick-easter-announces-his-retirement/

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 29 Jul 2016, 9:39 am

propdavid_london wrote:Easter stepping down - signing makes more sense now - http://www.quins.co.uk/news/harlequins-number-8-nick-easter-announces-his-retirement/

Damn. I had him down as the one player whose career could outlast Phil Vickery

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 29 Jul 2016, 10:51 am

Coaching move is an obvious step for him.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Fri 29 Jul 2016, 10:58 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Coaching move is an obvious step for him.

Him and Nev have been coaching at Wimbledon for a while now, good to see him carrying it on still at quins.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:23 am

munkian wrote:
Bathite wrote:Apparently blackadder bringing volavola with him. Would cover 10/15 when Watson ford Priestland are away. Desperately need centres and wingers, open side and a th!

We really need a tiny violin emoticon on here, poor dabs :roll:

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2016, 12:52 pm

Just hard to empathise with the richest team in the league who seems to rely on other countries and team's academies to provide players is all.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 31 Jul 2016, 8:39 pm

Fissler reporting Willie Le Roux to Wasps as a done deal in TRP. He comes across as an utter cabbage but is usually on the money, especially when he reports it with this kind of certainty.

If so I don't know how Wasps are staying within the salary cap.

Cips - Top 10 earners in the Prem at Sale and won't have taken a pay cut.
Eastmond - Reportedly Baths second highest earner after Louw last season.
Beale - If the reports of his salary are near correct then he's the best payed player in the Prem.
Le Roux - Worth more than all the above.

Add to that:

Haskell
Johnson
Gopperth
Lauchbury
Hughes
Mullan
Halai
Wade
Daly
Simpson
Robson

Plus Tommy Taylor and Marty Moore were on the radar of several clubs and decent front rows are never cheap...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 31 Jul 2016, 9:58 pm

Wasn't Eastmond due to be receive a big pay rise before Bath backed out of the deal. He might not have been on as much as reported. If he was then it's a bucket load of cash as I read a newspaper report that Ford was the highest paid member of the England team that played in the starting lineup against Australia.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:40 pm

On Bath needing 12s, wouldn't Piers Francis for a few months pre super rugby be a potential option?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:01 am

Wow, from struggling to make any impact at Edinburgh to starring in super rugby and being touted as a premiership starting 12, its been some turnaround from the man with 2 first names!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:09 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:Wow, from struggling to make any impact at Edinburgh to starring in super rugby and being touted as a premiership starting 12, its been some turnaround from the man with 2 first names!

Think he'd do just fine as an AP starter given he is performing at Super Rugby level. Was knocking about at Doncaster too. Some people are just late developers. He's taken a similar route to Matt Symons

Guessing he may have ITM Cup commitments in the short term though.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 01 Aug 2016, 11:13 am

King_Carlos - Wasps appear to be doing a Saracens and Bath! And dabbling with the grey areas of the salary cap........Financially Wasps if they aren't already are going to be one of the premiership powerhouses, gaining stadium revenue from football/rugby matchdays and other income generated at the Rioch Stadium. There will be plenty of incentive to join them if they are building custom facilities for the team, playing an exciting brand of rugby and perhaps will subscribe to the Sarries model and take the guys away for team bonding trips and other benefits.

Oh a different note - I cant imagine that Cips was that highly paid at Sale.....he was in a significant slump when he moved there. And when he re-signed he wasn't quite pushing for international honours.
And guys like Beal and Le Roux would surely come under the marquee system which means unrestricted salary for those guys.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 01 Aug 2016, 1:15 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36942464
New Loosehead from Pau for Quins.
Finally looks like John Kingston is doing some business - looks like a project player though

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 02 Aug 2016, 6:55 pm

If anyone noticed, but Fasolitia (sp), the back rower we released after he was charged for assaulting a student in the town has been signed by Worcs. Shame, he is a great player, really abrasive and dynamic and we'll miss him

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 02 Aug 2016, 9:17 pm

Prop David I can imagine that Cips was easily the highest paid player. He was a fairly key player and had other offers when he re-signed. Obviously his form wasn't as good as it is now but he'd still shown quite a bit and let's face it Sale don't really have many big names. It's him or Braid.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next