The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury v Klitschko, will it even happen??

+22
armchairwarrior
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
aja424
melv500
bhb001
Lance
Coxy001
Herman Jaeger
TopHat24/7
AdamT
catchweight
Hammersmith harrier
Steffan
Dipper Brown
bellchees
Mad for Chelsea
Rowley
kingraf
BoxingFan88
irishbrads
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fury v Klitschko, will it even happen?? Empty Fury v Klitschko, will it even happen??

Post by irishbrads Mon 18 Apr 2016, 6:14 pm

Hi

i know there is another thread on the Fury v klitshcko 2 fight so apologies, I've created this thread as i wanted your views on if the fight will even happen or not, reason being is a stag i'm going on is planned around this fight taking place in Manchester on 9th July, last thing i want is a rainy weekend in Manchester if the fights not happening.  

I have some concerns that the fight will take place let alone it taking place in Manchester.  the latest from klitshcko is he has announced the fight on Instagram but said the venue is yet to be confirmed, that was almost 2 weeks ago,  the Fury camp have announced that it will take place in Manchester and even held some sort of press conference with Warren who has announced it will be shown on Box nation and Hennessy, no sign of Klitshcko.  Klitshcko has also retweeted a boxnation tweet announcing the fight being shown on box nation but that's it.

I usually take very little heed in what David Haye says but he made a valid point in an IFL interview last week that until the Klitshcko camp announce the fight will take place in Manchester, nothing is confirmed, he also said he heard from members of the Klitshcko camp that the fight is actually planned for Germany!!!

No mention even of tickets on sale yet and the fight is only approx 10-11 weeks away!!  What do you guys think?

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Fury v Klitschko, will it even happen?? Empty Re: Fury v Klitschko, will it even happen??

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 18 Apr 2016, 6:51 pm

Not sure, I doubt Fury would say its in Manchester if they hadn't agreed it.

This time its Fury in the driving seat not Wlad, so I doubt he is going to play the same games he has done in the past.

Interesting that the tickets haven't been released yet though.... maybe they are assuming they will sell out quickly, which they will

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Fury v Klitschko, will it even happen?? Empty Re: Fury v Klitschko, will it even happen??

Post by kingraf Mon 18 Apr 2016, 8:47 pm

Klitschko Retweeted
BoxNation ‏@boxnationtv Apr 9
BREAKING NEWS: @Tyson_Fury v @Klitschko, World Heavyweight Title rematch LIVE on #BoxNation 9 July! #FuryKlitschko
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Mon 18 Apr 2016, 8:56 pm

kingraf wrote: Klitschko Retweeted
BoxNation ‏@boxnationtv  Apr 9
BREAKING NEWS: @Tyson_Fury v @Klitschko, World Heavyweight Title rematch LIVE on #BoxNation 9 July! #FuryKlitschko

i've seen that and i did mention he has retweeted a boxnation tweet, but thats it, no official announcement from him regarding the venue, all seems very strange to me, usually i wouldn't be too bothered but feel like i'm putting all the eggs in one basket planning a stag aorund this fight happening in Manchester

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Apr 2016, 10:19 pm

I think the venue is the main stumbling block. The MEN has been mentioned as a likely venue but a lot are saying it is not big enough and obviously the less tickets which are sold the less revenue is generated. This is hugely important now boxnation have the rights as the shortfall in ticket sales will not be boosted by a decent PPV return.

I have read bits on social media questioning whether Hennessy has the experience or know how to put a stadium fight on. The problem he has is if he does gamble and put it in a stadium and ticket sales are slow neither him or K2 has the stable to pack out an undercard and boost sales through that means. I think the fight will happen but get the impression the venue is a real issue.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 18 Apr 2016, 10:46 pm

Rowley wrote:I think the venue is the main stumbling block. The MEN has been mentioned as a likely venue but a lot are saying it is not big enough and obviously the less tickets which are sold the less revenue is generated. This is hugely important now boxnation have the rights as the shortfall in ticket sales will not be boosted by a decent PPV return.

I have read bits on social media questioning whether Hennessy has the experience or know how to put a stadium fight on. The problem he has is if he does gamble and put it in a stadium and ticket sales are slow neither him or K2 has the stable to pack out an undercard and boost sales through that means. I think the fight will happen but get the impression the venue is a real issue.

Really Rowley, I expected better from you Whistle

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Apr 2016, 10:52 pm

Old Trafford too big and the MEN too small yet Eddie could sell out Wembley for a Joshua fight tomorrow.

Fury doesn't have the fan base, the casuals don't care about him and his recent comments have turned off even more people. He's talking like a beaten man already with the "In my head I'm already retired...I've climbed the mountain...Wlad lost on purpose" drivel.

Getting his excuses in early and Fat Mick will be doing the same re the fact he can't sell out his living room for a HW title fight

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 18 Apr 2016, 11:30 pm

Rowley wrote:I think the venue is the main stumbling block. The MEN has been mentioned as a likely venue but a lot are saying it is not big enough and obviously the less tickets which are sold the less revenue is generated. This is hugely important now boxnation have the rights as the shortfall in ticket sales will not be boosted by a decent PPV return.

I'm surprised he has the know how to put clothes on in the morning, still very glad he does.

The undercard for this fight will be horrendous and I think it's a harder sell than it should be due to just how dull the first fight was.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 19 Apr 2016, 3:08 am

Brads, sack off the boxing and have your stag do in Germany anyway! You'll probably do it cheaper than in this country and with better beer.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 19 Apr 2016, 3:22 am

Yeah Germany is awesome for a p up. Plus you can still smoke in many bars/clubs which is great. The women are hotter and classier although pulling might be harder. I got a stag in Benidorm next week. I doubt any hot classy women are on the agenda

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Apr 2016, 4:23 am

As I have said previously I do think people are underestimating the demand for this one. How frequently over here do we see the heavyweight title contested, not a version of the belt but the belt? Think I am right in saying you'd have to go back to Lewis Botha for the last time, and that was little more than a homecoming parade for Lewis that was every bit as competitive as everybody expected it to be. Before this you're probably looking at Ali's days and those tended to be every bit as competitive as Lewis Botha.

Whilst I agree that their first fight was hardly one for the highlight reel, it did leave plenty of questions. Can Fury repeat the performance, will he take his foot off the gas now he has won the title. Does Wlad need to throw caution to the wind, and if so does he have it in him, is he past it, what happens if he connects. All of these are valid questions that given enough cause to believe the second will be a competitive fight.

Add into that the fact that Fury will sell the fight in the build up, be it through a Batman costume or whatever, he will get headlines, he struggles to do otherwise. So you have a genuine heavyweight title fight, which has every likelihood of being extremely competitive with a champion who will sell the show. I suspect demand for tickets will be a little higher than many on here are suggesting.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 19 Apr 2016, 4:52 am

If the demand really was there then Sky would have picked it up again and a stadium would have been announced by now. He might be the real champion but AJ is the draw who brings excitement to his fights, he's also media savvy.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 19 Apr 2016, 4:57 am

If Fury really wants to feed his retirement slush fund he should fight in Germany again.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Apr 2016, 5:50 am

I would not confuse Fury having a promoter without the know how/guts to make it a stadium fight with there not being the demand to fill one. My own view is this fight suffers far more from the former than the latter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 19 Apr 2016, 5:54 am

I don't see the demand myself; he's an idiot with vile views who doesn't provide excitement, it being for THE Heavyweight title doesn't really mean a lot any more.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Apr 2016, 5:57 am

Somewhere, the head of a Shopping Centre in Middlesborough is salivating at the thought of staging this fight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:04 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I don't see the demand myself; .

That doesn't mean there isn't one. I don't see the appeal in One Direction, the millions of albums they have sold very much suggests there is one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:10 am

If there was demand it would be in a stadium and it would be on Sky Box Office, neither is happening.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:12 am

If Sky pushed the fight like they push Joshua v nobodies it would be very big. But they are clearly backing their Matchroom man and dont want to spend additional budget on a chief rival (probably think having two ppv heavyweights is overkill for the moemnt). I guess you can deduce they dont anticipate Fury v Joshua anytime soon so are not going to build the rivalry. Clearly there would be more demand for Fury v Klitschko II than Cleverly v Bellew II I imagine.

I wonder will Haye v Briggs make it onto Sky if it happens?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:16 am

Also for sky to push it they have to undermine Joshua as you can't really promote this fight without acknowledging Joshua is nothing more than a paper champion. Unfortunately for Fury that does not fit their narrative.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:24 am

The ppv dates have probably all been given away to Matchroom along with the air time for their various promotional shows. To outbid Boxnation they would probably have needed this as a ppv which with Joshua scheduled for probably 2 more ppvs this year and builing towards a Haye fight is unlikely to work.

Brook v Gavin is in demand for Box Office but Khan v Canelo isnt worth picking up at all seemingly for Sky. Another perverse example.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:36 am

Rowley wrote:Also for sky to push it they have to undermine Joshua as you can't really promote this fight without acknowledging Joshua is nothing more than a paper champion. Unfortunately for Fury that does not fit their narrative.

They mentioned Fury being the proper champion numerous times during the AJ/Martin coverage, it's not something they've tried to sweep under the carpet.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:42 am

I think Sky would be smart to get behind the fight. The winner could face Aj sooner, rather than later.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:43 am

Fury v Joshua needs to happen ASAP before one of them loses their 0

Let's just hope for the sake of British and heavyweight boxing that Fury beats the Klit again

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:44 am

Don't think they are in any rush Adam. Got an easy sell in the Haye fight ready whenever they want it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 19 Apr 2016, 6:52 am

Both would sell out in the arena and on PPV with little dog Haye. I don't know why...but little dog Haye could be fighting the local shop window doll and his followers would come out in their numbers...just like they did with that fat Ozzie doorman the other day

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 19 Apr 2016, 7:00 am

Fury v Aj is the casual dream. It would break uk records in revenue.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 19 Apr 2016, 7:04 am

The hype would be funny

Fury acting like a maniac and Joshua trying to keep the squeaky clean PR image up while getting insulted

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 19 Apr 2016, 7:04 am

Depends what you mean by UK revenue; Hatton v Mayweather did 1.2 million buys in the UK alone, ridiculous number for a fight in the middle of the night.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 19 Apr 2016, 7:08 am

I actually forgot about that fight. Good shout. Though I wouldn't be surprised if The fight could hit a million over here.

Plenty would love to see Aj slay Fury.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:34 pm

well looks like ticket sales have been announced as going on sale next week, still have a feeling that a postponement is likely,

why they have went with a 21,000 arena in Manchester when it would easily sell out an arena in Germany in the month of July i'm not sure

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:15 am

Why would Fury want to give the K's home advantage??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:27 am

Take a lesser payday on this occasion because they're not getting a decision in rematch in Germany, have to knock Wlad out over there.

Unnecessary risk.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:34 am

Exactly. Focus should be on best chance of walking away with a second win.

Then the money train rolls in.

V short term approach of risking a lose for a small amount of extra cash but chancing cancelling said train clearly not something Team Fury are interested in.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:58 am

Fury is a bit of a tool. Tries to give the impression that he's unmotivated for Wlad, can't be bothered with boxing anymore but at the same time is more than willing to tell anyone who'd listen that he'd spark Joshua. "I don't have any passion for boxing anymore. But I tell you what I'd love to get in a ring with that Joshua and give him a pasting, I'd show him who the #1 Brit is. He's slow, ponderous and I'd give him a battering. But I've gone off boxing."

Just hoping Wlad doesn't fight like someone who's been told that if he lays a glove on the other bloke then said bloke will order his army of peg-sellers to kidnap his little hot hobbit of a missus miss Panitiere.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Apr 2016, 1:06 am

He's a manipulator and proven to be half decent at it. Like it or not no Brit boxer has matched his feat in toppling Wlad in what, 20 yrs?? A no boxer in a decade has beat Wlad outside the ring either.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 22 Apr 2016, 6:26 am

Fury deserves home advantage and hes not popular enough to sell a stadium. 20,000 tickets aint too bad anyway, still a good earner. Fury will be earning far more than last time anyway

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 22 Apr 2016, 5:10 pm

Lance, not certain about this, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Wasn't Fury the mandatory and so the terms were pretty much set by the board? So he would have got more than the "pittance" (relatively speaking) than a voluntary defence would have got from Wlad. Plus I bet the re-match clause also nailed down the percentages each fighter will get; much better than last time for Fury, but I'd take a bet on 50 50.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Sun 24 Apr 2016, 8:05 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Why would Fury want to give the K's home advantage??

fair point, i was thinking purely from a money perspective it would have been more beneficial for the fight to take place in Germany, also thought Fury would be even more confident this time round beating him so would be happy to travel, basically beat him in Germany for a lot more money than in Manchester

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:30 pm

well lads thought i would share this one with you i rang Hennessy sports today to enquire about block booking 15 tickets for the fury v Klitschko fight, when the phone answered i recognised the voice instantly, was only the man himself Mick Hennessy lol

I was on the phone to him for a good 5-10 minutes chatting, as i was ringing from Dubai he was talking about how he tried to put the fight on out here, i asked him why the fury fight isn't on in old trafford or city ground and he said neither were available but those grounds are so expensive to hire its hardly worth it.

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Apr 2016, 11:10 pm

Tickets are on sale for this now. I have got mine.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 27 Apr 2016, 11:53 pm

Rowley wrote:Tickets are on sale for this now. I have got mine.

Got them too, wasn't easy coordinating the purchas eof 18 tickets but we got them!!!

happy days

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 12:08 am

Looks like Fat Mick delivered the goods for you mate Wink

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Thu 28 Apr 2016, 12:57 am

melv500 wrote:Looks like Fat Mick delivered the goods for you mate Wink

ha ha, waitin until i see them in the ring on 9th July before i can categorically state that Fat Mick delivered for me!!!

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:18 am

Fury looking in good shape at today's presser...

Fury v Klitschko, will it even happen?? 12963744_1197324860302467_2748550448952399055_n

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 28 Apr 2016, 2:43 am

Jaysus maybe he is 22 stone. Hope this isnt a buster douglas.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 28 Apr 2016, 2:47 am

Round is a shape.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 3:16 am

He's bloating it out a bit I reckon, all part of the mind games, didn't look in as bad nick on some of his Twitter postings.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Apr 2016, 3:18 am

Whilst I'm not condoning his condition or size, neither of which look great Fury has never been a guy who comes in looking particularly cut. In reality to get down to his regular fighting weight he is probably not looking at shifting more than a couple of stone. Not ideal but Hatton probably regularly had to shift that sort of weight and he did not have the frame Fury has to carry that kind of timber. Suspect he will shift it in plenty of time.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Apr 2016, 9:19 am

Tyson is impossible to read.  He is so dismissive of his opponents, he looks in terrible shape, calling himself the fatman, and dismissing Klitschko for getting beat by a fatman.

Boxing is risky, you can die in the ring, and Tyson looks half suicidal.  Difficult to know what to expect, but the impression one gets is he is not an "athlete" and probably should retire soon. He is still a relative youth in the ring - aged 27, but I think he should retire. If he is not prepared to take it seriously and get into shape why would the viewer / spectator take him seriously.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/36155972

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next