The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gennady Golovkin

+15
Adam D
AdamT
Hammersmith harrier
Baby faced assassin
TopHat24/7
Lance
kingraf
Knowsit17
Rowley
BoxingFan88
Mr Bounce
milkyboy
Rodney
catchweight
Gentleman01
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gennady Golovkin - Page 2 Empty Gennady Golovkin

Post by Gentleman01 Tue 26 Apr 2016, 11:09 am

First topic message reminder :

I'm sure this has been discussed to death on here. However, I've been in absentia for some months now so please indulge me here.

As a fully paid-up member of the Golovkin fan club/hype train, it's certainly fair to say that I am a massive fan of his. I've been banging the drum for Golovkin amongst friends of mine who also enjoy Boxing since I first read an article about him knocking out Light-heavies in sparring back in 2011/2012.

However, there is a problem. It has been many years since he came on the scene and, to date, his best win is David Lemieux.. Now, to what extent this is the fault of any unwillingness on Golovkin's part to take on more challenging fights, or the unwillingness of potential opponents to take on Golovkin is debatable. I know where I sit on this one.

But, leaving that aside, Golovkin's career is now at a critical juncture. Supposedly, the winner of Canelo vs Khan will be mandated to fight him. But does anyone here seriously think that will happen? If Khan wins, and the WBC make GGG his mandatory, then I expect Khan to vacate the belt sharpish! If Canelo wins, as most are predicting, then does anybody here think that the WBC will force him to fight Golovkin at 160lbs? I doubt it. Alvarez has stated in the past that he will fight him at 155lbs. If Alvarez does win then I expect him to offer GGG the fight at 155 and I expect the WBC to sanction it. This catch-weight offer is something which Golovkin has said he would reject.

However, surely Golovkin can no longer maintain this position? Yes, it is appalling that the '160lb Champion' may be permitted to compel his mandatory to fight at 155lbs. And yes, it totally undermines the credibility of the WBC (something which I'm sure will cause great concern at the WBC...) But what are Golovkin's other options? Can he get Jacobs or BJS? Unlikely, in my opinion. And even if he could, it is Alzarez (or maybe Khan) who will be the lineal Champ.

As egregious as it might be, if Golovkin is offered a fight with Canelo or Khan at 155lbs then he should take it. He has no other options. He simply cannot continue fighting the likes of Dominic Wade, Willie Monroe Jr., etc.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Gennady Golovkin - Page 2 Empty Re: Gennady Golovkin

Post by Guest Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:10 pm

Article on SKY suggesting Kell Brook would be willing to fight Golovkin at around 157lbs.

Be an interesting fight if it got made but would open up all kinds of cans of worms as it would indicate that GGG actually IS willing to fight at a catchweight which Alvarez's team would try and exploit.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:16 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Apparently Loeffler & Hearn talking about Kell Brook at 157.......?????

Hoefully that's smokescreening from Tom and baiting Canelo up to 157 by saying GGG would fight there without formally engaging in negotiations.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:20 pm

I think weight divisions are fading out (and have long since stopped being effective mechanisms for the enabling of fair fights).

Canelo has, to all intents and purposes, invented his own division. He's the 155 lb king. who can force fighters to face him at his own personal, optimum weight, due to his drawing power.

Once over, becoming a champion (a real champion rather than a paper champ) would boost a fighter's salary (TV would pay higher fees for championship fights). These days, though, everyone is a champion, former champion or champion in recess and so forth, and so promoters can almost guarantee having a bauble attached to a TV fight (to one degree or another).

Today, it's all about how TV-friendly a fighter is. If a fighter can draw PPV sales (or generate advertising revenue from standard telecasts), they're in pole position at the bargaining table (which includes venue, weight etc.). It isn't even about excitement. Mayweather was a Box Office giant, yet was as dull as dishwater to watch fight.

So, after squashing Khan, Canelo can call out anyone he likes, from Paquiao to Bradley, from Lemieux to Klitschko. The middleweight division (in an historical sense) means precisely Jack to him. He's king of his own castle.

I feel it for the likes of Golovkin and Rigondeaux but, with the cards they've been dealt, they're going to have to go down the Lomachenko route (in terms of handicapping themselves). With Loma, he gives away experience. Golovking and Rigo are going to have to give away weight.

I can see why Loeffler and Golovkin are hanging around (they were eyeing Mayweather, now eyeing Canelo) but maybe it's time to start flexing some promotional muscle at '68.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:26 pm

They should never have eyed Mayweather. The man started his career at 130 and should not be expected to fight GGG, in the twilight of his career.

Canelo (his team) is basically ducking GGG. I can sympathise with him there. In my opinion, he would beat all at 168. If he doesn't get the fight with Canelo on September, he should make his move.

I really enjoy watching GGG. But he is facing fighters well beneath him. It is similar to watching AJ run through mediocre heavyweights. The difference being, AJ is still young. GGG is in his mid thirties. He might already be on the slide.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:40 pm

kingraf wrote:
milkyboy wrote:... I agree with the sentiment Atila excepting that GGG has (not that long ago) said he'd go to 154. Sure he may think its a gamble worth taking for the floyd money pot, and not for Canelo... but if you can make the weight you can make the weight.

It doesn't alter that the situation sucks.. it's the middleweight title it should be at 160, no discussions... or pick a weight you both agree to and fight without a title on the line.

The point is though that previously saying you'll fight at 154 and then turning down a fight at 155 gives up some (only some) of the moral high ground.

Did I mention moral high ground on a boxing thread. Shame on me.

Okay. He makes 154. Who does he fight?

Erm, he can eat a hamburger and fight Canelo at 155 Canelo weight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:53 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Apparently Loeffler & Hearn talking about Kell Brook at 157.......?????

Hoefully that's smokescreening from Tom and baiting Canelo up to 157 by saying GGG would fight there without formally engaging in negotiations.
I can't be ar$ed reading half the balls that's put on here.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 2:01 pm

Just focus on my balls.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Apr 2016, 2:04 pm

Only if Tina's not available

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 28 Apr 2016, 2:06 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Only if Tina's are not available

They aren't.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 3:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Atila wrote:Saul Alvarez must face Gennady Golovkin or lose title, WBC confirms
By Isaac Robinson
http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10259750/saul-alvarez-told-hell-lose-his-wbc-world-title-unless-he-faces-gennady-golovkin

The WBC has confirmed it will strip Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez of his world middleweight title if he fails to meet Gennady Golovkin.

Alvarez (46-1-1-KO32) puts the belt on the line when he faces Amir Khan at a catchweight of 155lbs in Las Vegas on May 7 and, if victorious, will have 15 days to agree to take on interim champion Golovkin (35-0-KO32).

Golovkin - the WBA 'Super' and IBF champion - crushed Dominic Wade inside two rounds at the weekend to increase demand for a unification showdown but Alvarez's promoter Oscar De La Hoya has said several times he feels the match-up needs to 'marinate' further.

But in an interview reported on boxingscene.com, WBA president Mauricio Sulaiman said: "Oscar can say whatever he wants. It's his right to do so, but we are also within our rights to take the title away from his boxer if he does not meet [his obligation]."

Golovkin's trainer Abel Sanchez pointed the finger at De La Hoya for preventing the fight taking place.

Sanchez said: "I do not think Canelo is afraid of Golovkin. I think more than anything it's to do with Canelo's promoter, Oscar De La Hoya. I think he's the one who is trying to avoid the fight."

Britain's WBO king Billy Joe Saunders and WBA holder Daniel Jacobs are the other champions in the middleweight division.

Pretty irrelevant, IMO, as the WBC has never said it will strip Canelo if he doesn't defend his title at 160.  So there's a nice little exit door for Canelo to walk straight out of by only offering the fight at 'Caneloweight'.  Uncle Sul will always rather his title is in the hands of a Mexican....

Exactly, this is essentially the point I was making. Not, will the WBC order Canelo face Golovkin? But, will the WBC order Canelo to face Golovkin at the 160lb limit? And, if they are happy to sanction the fight with a 155lb limit, then should Golovkin take it? Or should he tell Alvarez and the WBC where to go?

My opinion is, taking in to consideration that the WBC have been happy to sanction 'Middleweight' title fights at 155lbs in the recent past, then I see no reason why they would now change tack and enforce a 160lb limit. So, as egregious as it may be, if Golovkin can make 155lbs without killing himself, then he should just suck it up and take the fight.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 28 Apr 2016, 3:53 pm

milkyboy wrote:
kingraf wrote:
milkyboy wrote:... I agree with the sentiment Atila excepting that GGG has (not that long ago) said he'd go to 154. Sure he may think its a gamble worth taking for the floyd money pot, and not for Canelo... but if you can make the weight you can make the weight.

It doesn't alter that the situation sucks.. it's the middleweight title it should be at 160, no discussions... or pick a weight you both agree to and fight without a title on the line.

The point is though that previously saying you'll fight at 154 and then turning down a fight at 155 gives up some (only some) of the moral high ground.

he'd give up some moral ground if he was refusing to fight a light middleweight at 154. There can't honestly be a reality where he loses moral ground refusing to fight the Lineal champion at a made up weight which is closer the weight below than the maximum middleweight? Boxing isnt there yet.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 4:02 pm

Six years as champion and the best he's fought is David Lemieux....

Yet a guy that beats 7 top 10 p4pers and 20 other one time champions is a cowardly cherrypicker..

Shows you the standard of debate on here..Then again Manny did beat Floyd in slow motion !! laughing

Call it politics, ducking...Call it what you want.....

But his reign has been full of stiffs.....It's what you do and not what you want to do that counts !!

Proof is in the pudding..

Only difference between him and guys like Brook/Mayweather is he's not British or American...

Brits hate their own and are jealous of Americans....

So no wonder he's had a free ride......Lovable Rusky..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm

Bye bye intelligent debate......... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes it was nice while it lasted at least.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 5:21 pm

kingraf wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
kingraf wrote:

he'd give up some moral ground if he was refusing to fight a light middleweight at 154. There can't honestly be a reality where he loses moral ground refusing to fight the Lineal champion at a made up weight which is closer the weight below than the maximum middleweight? Boxing isnt there yet.

Norris came down to 150 to fight Taylor....

He either wants to fight the best or he doesn't. .

Life is about compromise..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 28 Apr 2016, 6:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Six years as champion and the best he's fought is David Lemieux....

Yet a guy that beats 7 top 10 p4pers and 20 other one time champions is a cowardly cherrypicker..

Shows you the standard of debate on here..Then again Manny did beat Floyd in slow motion !! laughing

But his reign has been full of stiffs.....It's what you do and not what you want to do that counts !!

Only difference between him and guys like Brook/Mayweather is he's not British or American...

It's actually true though, an American or a British fighter would not be allowed the same allowances as Golovkin, look at the abuse Calzaghe got for his reign.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 28 Apr 2016, 7:02 pm

Mayweather was supposed to fight every good fighter from any of 5 divisions. Golovkin can just say they are afraid.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 7:27 pm

Most revealing how the intelligent posters seem to be on my side of the argument...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 Apr 2016, 11:27 pm

kingraf wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
kingraf wrote:

Sadly I think that's exactly where boxing is. Alvarez fought mayweather at 152 because he wanted to make the fight... He's asking golovkin to do what mayweather did to him. It's wrong, i've been pretty clear in my views on it. But then golovkin wanted to fight ward.... at a catchweight to drain ward. They're all at it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 Apr 2016, 11:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Most revealing how the intelligent posters seem to be on my side of the argument...

... Don't forget hammy, he's on your side too Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 29 Apr 2016, 10:24 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Six years as champion and the best he's fought is David Lemieux....

It's actually true though, an American or a British fighter would not be allowed the same allowances as Golovkin, look at the abuse Calzaghe got for his reign.

Calzaghe wasn't avoided in the same way Golovkin has been. He was happy to stay at home making WBO defences for the bulk of his career.

Golovkin wants to fight Canelo next fight. He wanted to fight Martinez. Sturm, Froch, Saunders, Pavlik, Chavez, Cotto - anyone with a middleweight belt.

Ultimately, Calzaghe has the better ledger (and will be judged as such) but there's a lack of context here (what's new?).

Last edited by hazharrison on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:11 am

Floyd was in the poisition Canelo is now: he could fight anyone he wanted. Everyone was queuing up to face him. Rather than face the likes of Pacquiao (back when that fight meant something) Floyd was often selective over who he fought, at what weight and at what stage they were at in their careers (as we've done to death).

Golovkin attracts more support from fans (well, the vast majority) as he's willing to fight (just about) anyone, however, has been largely avoided.

Mayweather's opposition was good and head and shoulders above Golovkin's.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 29 Apr 2016, 4:58 pm

Then the fanboy turns up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 29 Apr 2016, 7:42 pm

Golovkin turned down Hopkins and Lara. You can argue allday long about the merits of those fights but I dont think you can say Golovkin will fight anyone

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

He's infatuated.....

Rationalisation goes out the window. .

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 7:33 am

Lance wrote:Golovkin turned down Hopkins and Lara. You can argue allday long about the merits of those fights but I dont think you can say Golovkin will fight anyone

I said he'll fight (just about) anyone. I'm not quite sure where the idea he's turned down Lara and Hopkins comes from - other than the fact they've both said they'll fight him. I guess he's turned down Kell Brook in that case, as Kell said he'd fight him this week.

In reality, there hasn't been a concrete offer from Golden Boy and so to infer Golovkin has turned down an imaginary offer seems a bit of a stretch. From what I can gather, Hopkins is in play for the autumn if Canelo/Jacobs/Saunders etc. continue to resist a fight (all of whom have turned down actual contracts to my mind). Chavez Jr. may also be in the mix.

The only fighter you could suggest Golovkin's team weren't desperate to face was Ward (who they insisted fight at a catch weight). You get the impression they see Ward as the end game (in the same way Canelo views Golovkin). That's where he loses sympathy from me.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm

(10/1).."Murray is a great win for GGG"

"Floyd v Manny isn't worth watching because Manny is 3/1"

Revealing couple of posts from the same guy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 30 Apr 2016, 3:08 pm

Lara has been calling him out for 2 years. Golovkins manager says they wont fight him.

Hopkins claims to have made offers several times but that Golovkin refused the fight.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 30 Apr 2016, 3:30 pm

GGG great exciting fighter. His fault or not, the list of opponents are a joke.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 30 Apr 2016, 3:43 pm

I don't have a problem with GGG's list of opponents. He's active and he's good to watch.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 30 Apr 2016, 3:47 pm

His activity covers up how poor his opposition is, Wade got the fight after screwing an old man with knee problems, a joke of a fight really.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Apr 2016, 3:52 pm

Atila wrote:I don't have a problem with GGG's list of opponents. He's active and he's good to watch.

I haven't got a problem with it...Just amuses me how his fans tuck into Brook, Ward and Manny for stiff hunting.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:06 pm

Lance wrote:Lara has been calling him out for 2 years. Golovkins manager says they wont fight him.

Hopkins claims to have made offers several times but that Golovkin refused the fight.

Lara? He would get starched in a couple of rounds

Hopkins is just hearsay he can't make middleweight

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:08 pm

Well that's it then..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm

Lara is a better boxer than pretty much anyone Golovkin has fought, would be surprised to see him taken out that easily.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:(10/1).."Murray is a great win for GGG"

"Floyd v Manny isn't worth watching because Manny is 3/1"

Revealing couple of posts from the same guy..

"Murray is probably a tougher fight than Cotto."

"Mayweather vs Pacquiao is five years past its sell by date."

Actual posts from the same guy.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:36 pm

Why doesn't Golovkin just fight Alvarez?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:41 pm

Lance wrote:Lara has been calling him out for 2 years. Golovkins manager says they wont fight him.

That's all fluff and nonsense. If you can find a vaguely creditable link to any of that, let us know. One-eyed Ted down the club reckons he humped Farah Fawcett. I'm not buying that one either.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:44 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:His activity covers up how poor his opposition is, Wade got the fight after screwing an old man with knee problems, a joke of a fight really.

Which middleweight should he have fought instead (taking into account the fact Wade was his mandatory)?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:44 pm

Rowley wrote:Why doesn't Golovkin just fight Alvarez?
Because he's a coward. If he was a real man he'd call Alvarez's bluff and offer to fight at 147lbs.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:46 pm

Rowley wrote:Why doesn't Golovkin just fight Alvarez?

He's deliberately ducking him so he can maintain this "most avoided man in boxing" crap. An amazing ruse.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:46 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:His activity covers up how poor his opposition is, Wade got the fight after screwing an old man with knee problems, a joke of a fight really.

Which middleweight should he have fought instead (taking into account the fact Wade was his mandatory)?

He should grow some balls and move up as far as i'm concerned, little point carrying on fighting crap like Wade.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:49 pm

Its plain weird how some people put the mess of the middleweight division on Golovkin. Accumulated half the belts. Worked his way to mandatory for another, and made a career high purse offer to the other. An exciting fighter trying to unify a division being thwarted at every opportunity. Luckily most boxing fans know what is really happening.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:52 pm

hazharrison wrote:

He should grow some balls and move up as far as i'm concerned, little point carrying on fighting crap like Wade.
I read somewhere that GGG is worth $25 million. If so, there's plenty of reasons to fight crap like Wade.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:53 pm

hazharrison wrote:

Yep, these prize fighters, no balls.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:54 pm

I think to argue he is not being avoided to some extent would be a stretch. Let's look at this sensibly, the WBC, an organisation based in Mexico widely known and almost universally accepted as being wildly biased to Mexican fighters have told the biggest Mexican star currently in the sport that if he does not fight Golovkin next they will strip him. Does that sound a very WBC thing to do, or does it suggest even they are a little embarrassed by the situation at the weight and the behaviour of their champion?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:55 pm

Atila wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

I read somewhere that GGG is worth $25 million. If so, there's plenty of reasons to fight crap like Wade.

Same jokers didn't mind a bit when Hopkins was facing "crap like Wade" at 160 in pursuit of his bogus middleweight defence record (that Golovkin is likely to break).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:57 pm

catchweight wrote:Its plain weird how some people put the mess of the middleweight division on Golovkin. Accumulated half the belts. Worked his way to mandatory for another, and made a career high purse offer to the other. An exciting fighter trying to unify a division being thwarted at every opportunity. Luckily most boxing fans know what is really happening.

Spot on.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 30 Apr 2016, 6:00 pm

You are arguing with loonies though. The biggest crime Golovkin committed was to be bandied about as a potential conqueror of Mayweather. The Mayweather nuts didnt like that. And have never forgiven him since.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 30 Apr 2016, 6:02 pm

Hopkins fought far better opposition than Golovkin has, defend him all you want but he complains about being avoided but won't step up himself.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 30 Apr 2016, 6:04 pm

catchweight wrote:You are arguing with loonies though. The biggest crime Golovkin committed was to be bandied about as a potential conqueror of Mayweather. The Mayweather nuts didnt like that. And have never forgiven him since.

Can you imagine going on like that? Bloody weird.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next