The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kimbo Slice dead

+6
ONETWOFOREVER
Valero's Conscience
mobilemaster8
BoxingFan88
TopHat24/7
OasisBFC
10 posters

Go down

Kimbo Slice dead Empty Kimbo Slice dead

Post by OasisBFC Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:20 pm

2016 takes another.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36466451/mma-fighter-kimbo-slice-dies-aged-42-after-being-taken-to-hospital-in-florida

Yes he was an average boxer and MMA fighter but going straight into MMA without any training, in his late 30s or there abouts, fair play to the lad.

Made the most of his youtube fame and no doubt pocketed a few bob in the process.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Kimbo Slice dead Empty Re: Kimbo Slice dead

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Not bad for a guy that started off as a bodyguard for a p0rn producer....

Still think he was always a bit of a tw*t to be honest, a hero for ignorant (often racist) YouTube keyboard warriors when in reality he got hi backside handed to him plenty.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:35 pm

I didn't like him if I'm honest, beating up on smaller guys and really messing them up

When he got in the professional ranks he got his backside handed to him

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Think we are being a bit harsh. I've seen plenty of his videos, I never read the comments for the reasons mentioned above, but he fought some big guys of similar size sometimes two at a time. The guy was a good street fighter. Think his debut in 2008 in MMA generated the highest viewing figures in MMA history which is a feat in itself given the lack of training.

Also undefeated in the prop game of boxing, all be it not quite as emphatic as his street fighting.

Shame to see someone taken so young at only 42.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:14 pm

If you don't know much about Kimbo and just see his TV manner I can fully understand those not liking him.

However, if you knew more, you would find he is pretty much universally noted as a really nice, humble guy and was a devoted family man. Virtually everyone in boxing and MMA said he was a really nice guy and nothing like his image, which simply made him big money.

He said, 'Kimbo Slice' was his act and once off screen he was Kevin Ferguson. He took his family out of the 'ghetto' and said he worked to ensure all of his 6 kids could get a college education, which was his drive in his career. He also had an autistic son he used to take particular care of and was very protective of.

Anyone would of done what he done. He was offered large sums of money to either fight people way below him to hype him up and at times way above him and lost.

RIP Kimbo

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:49 pm

He may be a family man, but beating up on over-matched opponents does not make you nice.

He was a street thug. Impressive how he turned this into a pro career, but he really just capitalised on YT fame and carried on mugging off nobodies until someone with skills stood up to him.

The Seth guy that took him out, for example, had been told to not go for a take down and to try keep the fight upright (this being a guy miniscule in size in comparison). When he was still street thugging that Boston cop took him to town and all his muppet mates kept jumping in to help. Disgusting animals.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:43 pm

I don't see anything wrong in two men agreeing to fight. If he beat up random people that's fine but if they agree to fight it's up to them if one gets hurt.

The world is made for the weaker man....

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:01 pm

You seem to have a deep OTT hatred for the guy toppy

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:02 am

Not really hatred, just general dislike and minimal respect.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Wasn't really an athlete, a sportsman; he was a street fighter, a star of reality media.  In the end boxing, MMA all have rules.. I hate MMA fighters saying, give me a boxer and I'll destroy him in seconds lark.... MMA have rules too, their ain't no rules in the street.

He was an entertaining guy, had a decent heart on him and probably could have done some serious damage had he training from young like many MMA/boxers have. He was hit with some proper bombs though in his time, sure he got it handed to him a few times, when they fight like Kimbo where they'll fight anyone for a few bucks don't they all? Its not like boxers who protect their investment, their record, their fighters from going in the ring with people they know will beat them.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Never really had an opinion on Kimbo, although disliking him for padding his record with gimmes seems strange. Do you hold every fighter who didnt fight a top 10 fighter or had the rules tilted to their favour in a fight in a similarly low regard?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:34 pm

Think Kimbo is a special case, distinguishable from any regular pro. Especially when part of the consideration is bare knuckle back street fighting.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:15 pm

fa0019 wrote:their ain't no rules in the street.

Actually I was under the impression that in the street fighting "circuit" he was in, grappling was not allowed. Strikes only.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:17 pm

smashingstormcrow wrote:
fa0019 wrote:their ain't no rules in the street.

Actually I was under the impression that in the street fighting "circuit" he was in, grappling was not allowed. Strikes only.

It wasn't drunks on the street so to speak.... it was a description of who he was rather... he bare knuckled fought but that came from him being a bouncer/a streetfighter.

Was nothing to suggest he'd nail MMA fighters, just to counter the lark about MMA fighters being unbeatable.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:27 pm

Kimbo was simply a product of the times, namely gaining fame and modest fortune whilst being decidedly bang average and when image is seen as a marketable alternative to ability and talent. I hold him in the same esteem as the former "hard man" Lennie McLean

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:48 pm

He fought consenting adults in a number of disciplines (boxing, MMA, and bare knuckle). He fought all comers, and win or lose, he generally stuck to the rules and shook hands after a fight. He never professed to be the hardest man on the planet, and never saw him kick a man when they were down. I really can't see what is to dislike. Either Toppy is jealous because he wishes he was tough/brave like Kimbo, or he was beaten in a fight when he was younger, and Kimbo brings back bad memories.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:51 am

Think that's a glossy picture you're painting fingers. His MMA career was stage managed, pros told to only stand up fight as Kimbo had no actual skills - basically like beating up on a disabled kid.

And yes, whilst his street fighting style may have been 'honourable' I'm still see nothing to respect in some thug beating up overmatched opponents and causing serious damage in the process (see where slice came from).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:42 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Think that's a glossy picture you're painting fingers.  His MMA career was stage managed, pros told to only stand up fight as Kimbo had no actual skills - basically like beating up on a disabled kid.

And yes, whilst his street fighting style may have been 'honourable' I'm still see nothing to respect in some thug beating up overmatched opponents and causing serious damage in the process (see where slice came from).

Please argue this is not the case for the majority of all prospect boxers?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:51 pm

I thought I was quite clear that I was talking about his street brawling days.

As a 'pro' it is unsurprising, even typical, to fight overmatched opponents. What's not typical is those opponents being told how to fight and what they can/cannot do - i.e. like smacking a disabled person.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:32 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:I thought I was quite clear that I was talking about his street brawling days.

As a 'pro' it is unsurprising, even typical, to fight overmatched opponents.  What's not typical is those opponents being told how to fight and what they can/cannot do - i.e. like smacking a disabled person.
F*ck 'em Toppy, if they start a ruck they should expect to get a kicking. Ask Wheelchair, he's a right one for causing trouble. I've resorted to drinking in places without disabled access just to minimize the risk of him turning the place into a bloodbath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Bottom line he was a pretty smart guy, became a youtube sensation with his 'back yard brawls' and made a decent living, leading to a pro MMA & Boxing career. What a lot of people don't realise is that these fights were all set up, people were paid and nothing illegal took place, after all he'd be pretty stupid to film it. He quite simply did it to kick start a career which due to his age and lack of training he would never have got. As others have said behind the persona a genuinely decent humble guy that just wanted to provide for his family, like others here I don't understand the hate for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Think that's a glossy picture you're painting fingers.  His MMA career was stage managed, pros told to only stand up fight as Kimbo had no actual skills - basically like beating up on a disabled kid.

People aren't forced to face him. The street fighters all fought for money. They weren't being bullied, they turned up having already fought on the circuit and wanted a chance to win money.

Disliking him because of over matched opponents isn't an argument if they go in to it with full consent.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:24 pm

he used his fame to the full advantage, fair play to him.
he played the game very well and made good money.

of course he was matched well, just look at every young star boxing's opponents. they don't go in and face anyone decent for 10 fights at least and that's with a lifetime of amateur experience. he had no formal training.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:15 pm

OasisBFC wrote:he used his fame to the full advantage, fair play to him.
he played the game very well and made good money.

of course he was matched well, just look at every young star boxing's opponents. they don't go in and face anyone decent for 10 fights at least and that's with a lifetime of amateur experience. he had no formal training.

Do those youngsters also going into bouts knowing their opponents have been told to only fight with one hand? Or one eye closed??

No.

And ref his streetfighting, the tramps in bumfights weren't 'forced' either.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Insinuating they were forced to fight, and making comparisons to bum fights, is clutching at straws. Stick to your opinion. It's fine. Don't make Poopie up though.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:14 pm

Any chance we could stick to what I'm actually writing??!

Two seperate careers: 1) amateur street; 2) pro ring.

1) Nobody was forced. But some useless idiot was approached and given an unachievable shot at some cash and funnily enough took it. Nothing much respectable or impressive about that.

2) Pros (esp hyped ones) fighting overmatched oppos is nothing new, can't judge him on that. But here the issue was not with the over-matching but the hamstringing. Telling a skinny little MMA fighter that he's only allowed to stand up fight against the giant muscled brawler is akin to telling a boxing opponenet to fight one handed. Again, nothing respectable or impressive, IMO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down