The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+7
guildfordbat
jimbohammers
thegooch7
kingdaveeagle
James100
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbobgooner
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 16 Jul 2016, 3:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST HAMPSHIRE AT THE AGEAS BOWL STARTING ON SUNDAY.
Tom Curran is unavailable for selection as he has now joined up with the England Lions squad for their One Day Series against Pakistan A and Sri Lanka A. Mathew Pillans returns to the squad Rolling Eyes but James Burke is unavailable after having an injection in his ankle earlier in the week.
Gary Wilson is still with the Ireland squad for their One Day Series against Afghanistan.
There is no place in the squad for Jade Dernbach or Matthew Dunn again.
The surrey squad to play Hampshire in the Specsavers County Championship at the Ageas Bowl on Sunday 17th July, Monday 18th July, Tuesday 19th July and Wednesday 20th July:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Steven Davies
Aaron Finch
Ben Foakes
Mark Footitt
Arun Harinath
Stuart Meaker
Mathew Pillans
Jason Roy
Dominic Sibley
Harinath and Pillans for me to miss out though Burns will need to get some runs in this game.
jimbo can update us with the hampshire squad OK
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:05 pm

50 for that's all clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:09 pm

Valuable runs from this partnership and Surrey have reached the magic 470 in line with Guildford's wishes.

Half century for Foakes, who's upped the tempo, and Batty now into the 30s. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:10 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Btw, my mother-in-law met Christopher 'Lukewarm' Biggins recently. Rather than ask him about Porridge as I hoped, she quickly scurried away complaining to others about how loud he was!

Have a word Guildford! It was the only thing he was ever watchable in!
Well, we're past your 470 mark, I assume we'll get to 500 and declare then.

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:11 pm

I am surprised there hasn't been a declaration yet.
Its hard for me to be too critical on our bowlers as it is v.hot and apparently nothing in th epitch!
A very good toss for you guys to win steam

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:21 pm

Maiden from McLaren... surely you are at the stage of 'hit out or declare' Headscratch

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:31 pm

Strange tactics indeed Jimbo. Unless we're certain that the pitch is going to deteriorate vastly, I can't see why we're just occupying the crease?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:31 pm

Still going along at just over 3 an over. I assume Surrey's hope /expectation is that the pitch will wear and they don't mind occupying quite a lot of day 2 with the first innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:34 pm

Or maybe Batty just fancies a half century. Wink  He hasn't had too many of those in recent years.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:38 pm

Yep 50 for Batty clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:39 pm

Declaration coming as Batty gets his half ton and brings up 500 with a maximum. End of the over?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:42 pm

But no - on we go. 510/7.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:44 pm

We want 600 Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 18 Jul 2016, 2:56 pm

I think these two are batting for centuries!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:05 pm

We'll bat on til That's All gets his century, then Norah will declare and expect brownie points for not going on to get his century!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:06 pm

550 up clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:07 pm

Piling on the runs now.  Crane's figures not looking quite so good! Presumably declaration when Foakes reached 100 or wicket falls.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

Foakes 100 Yahoo   Valuable innings (probably last 50 scored against a demoralised attack - but we have been clamouring for more Surrey centuries!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:11 pm

100 for Foakes clap clap clap Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:24 pm

Crazylegs Crane [remember him from the Pink Panther show, Goochie? Smile ] looked as if he was going to get a rest but he only comes off for one over so he can have a switch of ends! Now bowled 49 overs, heck of an effort.

Shouldn't really judge things until we see how Surrey bowl and Hants bat but I'm concerned we've gone on too long now and are just taking time out of the game. We certainly can't expect any declaration from Hants!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:29 pm

I think we'll bat til tea and declare then..............and 'save' 2 overs, but we're obviously banking on batting once1
Haha - I do remember Crazy Legs Crane.....with his natty hat and collar!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:35 pm

thegooch7 wrote:I think we'll bat til tea and declare then..............and 'save' 2 overs, but we're obviously banking on batting once1
Haha - I do remember Crazy Legs Crane.....with his natty hat and collar!!

You could well be right, Goochie. Although it's good to 'save' 2 overs, that gives the Hants batsmen 20 minutes (ie double the time) to drink as many gallons of tea as they can and generally prepare themselves for the last session. Batty's approach may work but I would have declared a while back.

Good memory on the hat and collar, Goochie!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:43 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Piling on the runs now.  Crane's figures not looking quite so good! Presumably declaration when Foakes reached 100 or wicket falls.

Bowling 50 overs, he's probably knackered !

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:44 pm

It must be the declaration now - leaves 224 overs left in the game!
When was the last time we had 2 x 200+ stands in the same innings?!...............I don't know! Just being rhetorical!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:46 pm

BBC Solent Sport
@solentsport
Mason Crane gets a big round of applause as he walks off having bowled 51 overs.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:47 pm

thegooch7 wrote:It must be the declaration now - leaves 224 overs left in the game!
When was the last time we had 2 x 200+ stands in the same innings?!...............I don't know! Just being rhetorical!

Yesterday and today. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:47 pm

Century for Batty Shocked Shocked clap clap  Clearly hoping that the demoralisation factor kicks in!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 3:53 pm

Kevan James (ex Hants and Middlesex) on the radio commentary reckons we'll bat on after tea and not allow 'em 20 minutes to prepare for their innings. Possible - as I suggested earlier although imo Batty should have declared before this.

I like James, Jimbo, but who are the Ken and Roger guys that Radio Solent have been using over the last two days who sound like geriatric hospital patients?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 18 Jul 2016, 4:12 pm

Guildford, haven't been able to listen these last couple of days, Solent is normally Kevan James, who is a good listen, he knows his stuff. Not sure on the other two im afraid!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 4:21 pm

Yeah, Jimbo, Kevan James knows his stuff and appears, as you might expect, to read the game well. A couple of dodderers alongside at times yesterday and today. Another guy called Vishy (?) also appeared today - liked him, think he's a cricinfo writer.

Declaration has at last arrived. Feel that was too late in coming but I'll change my tune if we can bag 2 or 3 wickets tonight. If not, what odds on Hants knocking up 750 and then skittling us for 80 in the last session on Wednesday? Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2016, 4:33 pm

Footitt strikes Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2016, 4:42 pm

Footitt again Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 18 Jul 2016, 5:06 pm

Rolling Eyes

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2016, 5:23 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Rolling Eyes
A long way to go yet jimbo Hug

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 5:32 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
jimbohammers wrote:Rolling Eyes
A long way to go yet jimbo Hug

True but for once we are happier being in our shoes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2016, 6:22 pm

Hants get to stumps on 73/2. Tommy Alsop (another of Jimbo's lads) and 'Jock' McLaren have far from turned things round but they've done well to see the session out having been 5/2, both openers falling to Footitt. I would have given Footitt another couple of overs at the end but Batty and I often seem to be on a slightly different wavelength this season. I would have declared a lot earlier.

Anyway, 18 wickets left for us to get in a little under 2 days (we'll need them before Wednesday is out else Hants will overtake our score). Expect tomorrow to be moving day or stalling day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Mon 18 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm

Good centuries for Foakes and Batty though you do have to wonder if our captain was batting for himself or the team by not declaring earlier. Anyone know why Ansari hasn't bowled yet?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Jul 2016, 8:09 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:Good centuries for Foakes and Batty though you do have to wonder if our captain was batting for himself or the team by not declaring earlier. Anyone know why Ansari hasn't bowled yet?

I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to bat on - I always think when it reaches the stage of about 500ish, the team should bat on until 650-700 range (so long as runs are scored quickish). The opposition are demoralised, bowlers tired, you get the fielders more tired - it's the best time to rack up runs, rather than say declaring for 450-500 odd, then potentially having a tricky 4th innings chase of say 150 (assuming you enforce the follow on)

A great day for Surrey - we have to win from here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon 18 Jul 2016, 8:48 pm

I'd agree with Olly, bat once and bat big, especially with a southern ground, which should deteriorate relatively consistently. It means the two spinners should have more to work with and the way we've been batting this season, I wouldn't have too much faith in a chase of much over 150

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 10:30 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
kingdaveeagle wrote:Good centuries for Foakes and Batty though you do have to wonder if our captain was batting for himself or the team by not declaring earlier. Anyone know why Ansari hasn't bowled yet?

I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to bat on - I always think when it reaches the stage of about 500ish, the team should bat on until 650-700 range (so long as runs are scored quickish). The opposition are demoralised, bowlers tired, you get the fielders more tired - it's the best time to rack up runs, rather than say declaring for 450-500 odd, then potentially having a tricky 4th innings chase of say 150 (assuming you enforce the follow on)

A great day for Surrey - we have to win from here

Hopefully although I haven't confirmed my champagne order yet. We will probably have a good idea as to where this game is going by stumps tonight. As I said yesterday, it should be moving day (which reminds me - where is King Carlos?) or stalling day. I don't for a moment suggest we're in anything but a very good position.

However, besides my usual Surrey paranoia, a few factors make me twitchy -
the heat today will make it very hard work for the bowlers and fielders;
yes, Hants should be pretty much physically and mentally shot after over 5 sessions in the field seeing our runs mount up although maybe not quite as much as might be expected for all their bowlers due to the herculean efforts of Crazy Legs Crane taking so much individual responsibility;
unless Hants decide to go for max batting points (calm down, JimBob Wink ), they can play risk free cricket knowing their only aim is to see out the overs and get away with a draw;
my real worry - the track. Foakes gave the impression in his interview last night that it was a road. Will it worsen? Let's hope so as we need to take 18 wickets on the last 2 days. There were only half that amount on the first 2 days.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 11:17 am

My earlier concerns appearing totally unfounded in the first 10 or so minutes as Sibley (presumably bowling in place of Ansari who is off the field with a bad back) gets both the overnight batsmen! 82/4. Wonderful start to day 3 for Surrey, an absolute nightmare for Hants.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 19 Jul 2016, 11:19 am

Excellent start for Sibley and Surrey. clap clap 

I see also that Tom Curran has taken a couple of early wickets for the England Lions v Pakistan A

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 19 Jul 2016, 11:28 am

Is it too optimistic of me to hope for some rain Whistle

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 12:40 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Is it too optimistic of me to hope for some rain Whistle

Yes, Jimbo, although Wheater and Ervine have done a good job over the last hour or so. long way to go but still a chance you could get max batting points which would send our JimBob loopy! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 12:55 pm

MASSIVE wicket 10 minutes before lunch. Footitt who has been expensive this morning gets Wheater. Our session now whatever.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 19 Jul 2016, 12:58 pm

Yes - Wheater and Ervine are an extremely handy combo to come in at Nos 5 & 6.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 19 Jul 2016, 1:55 pm

Ervine run out for 52! 195 - 6 and we have two bowling points. 50 overs to take three more wickets....

Curran takes 4 - 39 off 9 overs for the Lions. clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 2:02 pm

Ervine being run out is a wonderful bonus.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 19 Jul 2016, 2:04 pm

A run out? In these circumstances? Schoolboy stuff Doh picard

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 2:44 pm

The Ice Man can't stand the heat and melts under Batty's pressure. 7 down and definitely into the tail. Give Meaks another blast - although wicketless, Kevan James admired his last spell.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 19 Jul 2016, 3:20 pm

We really are having some awful injury luck - losing Ansari mid game a potentially season defining blow
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next