The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Original Gang - BBC 606 Forum

+24
Be_the_ball
barragan
drive4show
Roderick Slyme
sirbenson
super_realist
dynamark
Eyetoldyouso
beninho
MustPuttBetter
JAS
I'm never wrong
MontysMerkin
pedro
Roller_Coaster
kwinigolfer
LadyPutt
wiretapper
1GrumpyGolfer
Yadsendew
Davie
golfermartin
McLaren
elwedgopitcho
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Original Gang - BBC 606 Forum - Page 3 Empty Original Gang - BBC 606 Forum

Post by elwedgopitcho Wed 20 Jul 2016, 3:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Afternoon all,

Great day FORE it!

I have just discovered this forum and I used to be very active on the original 606 golf forum and I was keen to find out if any of the old guys / gals were still around?

Peace and Love.

EWP

elwedgopitcho

Back to top Go down

Original Gang - BBC 606 Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: Original Gang - BBC 606 Forum

Post by McLaren Thu 08 Sep 2016, 5:37 pm

D4s

I tried the golf monthly forum once and the chat was just so dull and there wasn't really the posters like kwini, robo, gpb, grumps, shotrock etc who really know their stuff.

What would be better was if you started posting here more often? Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 08 Sep 2016, 8:22 pm

No reason why D4S can't be on both forums too Smile

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 03 Nov 2016, 1:11 pm

I'm surprised that no-one else offered recollections of the incontinent poster from Cornwall who must have gone through extraordinary amounts of toilet paper and trousers during his golfing exploits.
Anyway, I can exclusively reveal he's a truck driver from Connecticut who seems to have been caught short locally with disastrous/embarrassing results:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2016/11/02/police-drunken-driver-tried-change-pants-crashed/93199880/

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 03 Nov 2016, 8:12 pm

Hi EWP what was your original username if you don't mind.Some good stuff from the lads in the north back in the day

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 25 Nov 2016, 11:58 pm

Hello all.
Long time no comms.
Going back to the unfortunate occurance...three members were banned, only three (sorry to disappoint Lp!), two of which were golf mods at the time. One of which was the user formerly known as mav. Anyhow, I was offered the mod job in the aftermath, and made it my personal goal to rescue the lost posters cast asunder. Merc, the main perpetrator, naturally disappeared into the ether, having completed his dirty work. Mav tried to return undercover and was outed. Davies was the last, and key survivor. I knew it would take time and be a slow process, but also knew the importance of choosing the correct moment to ask the question (unlike Alec Salmond). Eventually the walls came down. Olive branches were offered, and thankfully many of the exiled returned to these shores.
Satisfied with my work, the undercover nature of my role as a mod could be relinquished.
Alas, the burden of such a task proved to great, and I have had to retire from my forum work. My greatest achievement.
Peace to all.
Barragan (formerly ban_bam)

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 26 Nov 2016, 9:07 am

Still in Edinburgh Ban?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 26 Nov 2016, 1:11 pm

Barra - you've got your stories mixed up - I was nothing to do with Merc or Mav. It was two entirely different episodes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 26 Nov 2016, 2:30 pm

Davie

Face it, if you hadn't boasted about throwing a dog under a bus none of that mess would have happened.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 26 Nov 2016, 3:13 pm

Don't be a p!llock all your life Mac - take a day off every now and then

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Dec 2016, 4:50 pm

Diggers,
Just bringing this thread back to life so you can see that you were remembered!

PS: And also to relive the sparkling wit and repartee of Davie and Mac.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 25 Dec 2016, 8:04 pm

I would like if Gold Wolf and LondonJohnnyo popped in to say a quick hello. Wherever you are lads, All the best!!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 25 Dec 2016, 8:05 pm

Some of their better banter to be fair Kwini!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Dec 2016, 9:39 pm

!!!!

Btb,
Wolfie posts on here very occasionally, as gw.
You might be able to pm him and give him a hard time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 26 Dec 2016, 12:08 pm

Hey Kwini, yeah I see him every now and again. He put some stellar work into the weekly fantasy league. When I first joined 606, it was your articles and Goldies fantasy league that were the real draws..

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

Davie wrote:Barra - you've got your stories mixed up - I was nothing to do with Merc or Mav. It was two entirely different episodes
All just merged into one big scoosh in my head...main thing is, you and a few of the other voluntary departed are back in this cheery fold Hug

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm

Nice to see I'm remembered on here, or at least I was remembered a few months back!

I've been keeping the occasional eye on this place the past few months, mainly for the colour and analysis on the Euro, PGA and OWGR threads - better combination of opinion and background knowledge than any of the "official" sites! But my own attempts to follow the pro tours keep getting hampered by internet issues. And I've only played 36 holes (badly) in the last 12 months. So I've not really had much cause to post myself... I'm still here in the background though!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:25 pm

Keep in touch Ned, You're missed on here . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Fri 24 Mar 2017, 3:16 pm

Hows it going guys? Some old memories came to me whilst scanning this thread! Sadly I'm not massively into golf as much as I used to be, I haven't hit a ball for what must around 5 years now, I guess my love for the game dissappeared when I stopped playing.
Hope you're all doing good.

gw aka GoldWolf

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Mar 2017, 3:27 pm

Hope you're putting all the time you've earned by not playing golf to attending Molyneux, gw, keep away from the relegation zone or there's a risk we'll be meeting you next year.
Looks like GB's keeping a low profile too?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 24 Mar 2017, 3:33 pm

So does that mean no more xl spreadsheets, gauging distances in the street by club selection and practicing your takeaway in lift mirrors?!?! Laugh

Good to hear from you Goldie! Hope alls well!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Fri 24 Mar 2017, 3:37 pm

Haha I'm keeping well away from Molineux Kwini, real mess there and I can't see it improving anytime soon. If we want down at least we'd be competitive again!
Yep, GB lost his card again, I understand he had a little injury that prevented him finishing last season / Q school, so he's back on the Challenge Tour.

Hi BTB, yeah along with my love of golf, my OCD for it has gone too!! That's definitely a good thing haha
Hope you're well.

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 27 Mar 2017, 1:30 pm

gw wrote:
Sadly I'm not massively into golf as much as I used to be, I haven't hit a ball for what must around 5 years now,

Hey Goldie - hope you're well.

How does this happen?

If I remember you used to be massively into your golf, Cat 1 player, etc etc. I understand how you would drop the peripheral things like posting on a forum and keeping your stats on a spreadsheet, but what made you want to give up a major hobby and passion altogether?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Tue 28 Mar 2017, 7:01 pm

Hi Ray, how are you?
Basically at the end of the 2011/12 season, all the guys I used to play with regularly every week, 15 in all, and the entire scratch team, left the club to join the more up market club down the road. That wasn't an option for me as joining fee, membership fee and cost of comps, were way out of my price range. So I was left playing with random people every week which wasn't much fun for me as I rarely got anyone who would say much more than "hi" and "nice shot" all the way round. I was the only scratch team player left and i would win the comp almost every week, not being big headed but the next lowest player after me (2) was a 6 handicapper, it wasnt going down well. I found myself reduced to playing on my own late in the day which again isn't much fun. I just remember walking down the 8th thinking I could be at home spending time with my kids, picked my ball up and haven't hit a ball since.

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Mar 2017, 7:27 pm

You've got to get your boy playing, gw, Best thing ever!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 28 Mar 2017, 7:47 pm

gw wrote:Hi Ray, how are you?
Basically at the end of the 2011/12 season, all the guys I used to play with regularly every week, 15 in all, and the entire scratch team, left the club to join the more up market club down the road. That wasn't an option for me as joining fee, membership fee and cost of comps, were way out of my price range. So I was left playing with random people every week which wasn't much fun for me as I rarely got anyone who would say much more than "hi" and "nice shot" all the way round. I was the only scratch team player left and i would win the comp almost every week, not being big headed but the next lowest player after me (2) was a 6 handicapper, it wasnt going down well. I found myself reduced to playing on my own late in the day which again isn't much fun. I just remember walking down the 8th thinking I could be at home spending time with my kids, picked my ball up and haven't hit a ball since.

That's either a wonderful epiphany, or quite a sad story, depending on your point of view. Do you miss golf? The fact you haven't hit a ball in 5 years shows that probably you don't. In which case fair play (just don't tell my wife).

If it was me, I'd probably carry on playing, less frequently and on my own if necessary if I wasn't enjoying the company, because golf is my meditation time - I can completely empty my mind on a golf course.

As Kwini said, surely introducing the kids to the game is the way forward!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Tue 28 Mar 2017, 8:08 pm

I don't miss it at all anymore, I did to begin with though. Maybe it's because golf isn't my main passion, football is, but I wasn't half as good at it! I sometimes think it woukd be nice to get out there again, when I'm watching the masters or the open.

I tried getting my son into it, but he's found somehing else more interesting......females!!

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 30 Mar 2017, 1:03 pm

Hi Goldie. Glad to hear you're still with us! I can well relate to your story. I had to give up playing when I had to have my double hip replacement in 2010 and have found it really difficult to get back into it. First there was work which took up a lot of my time and then we moved last summer from London to Fife in Scotland where there are loads of lovely courses but I still am finding it hard to get the motivation again. There's always something else that needs doing around the house or in the garden. LordPutt is the same. He was playing regularly on a crappy 9-hole municipal course near our home before we moved but with a great bunch of chaps who all had the same warped sense of humour. Since moving, he has found it very difficult to find men of a similar mindset, even among the seniors, They all take it so very seriously, don't want to chat on the way round and he says he'd rather not spend 4 or 5 hours in the company of people like. Hopefully the coming of summer and the lighter evenings means the two of us will be able to get out and play a bit more together and just play enough to keep our handicaps alive.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 30 Mar 2017, 1:13 pm

They're a weird bunch down there in south Fife LP for sure.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Sat 01 Apr 2017, 11:46 am

Hi LP, good to hear from you!

Yep it's very difficult when you don't know anyone, I can totally see why people find it hard to take up golf, it really is so much more enjoyable when you're playing in good company. I probably will get back at some point, maybe when the kids have flown the nest and I've got more time and money on my hands, we'll see.

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 01 Apr 2017, 11:54 am

LadyPutt wrote:he has found it very difficult to find men of a similar mindset

Out of interest what sort of mindset is he looking for?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 01 Apr 2017, 12:08 pm

gw, i went through something similar to you right around the same time 2011-12, my son was born in 2011 too and the wife had a health scare. Not a good time for it. I've only just gotten back to posting on here & playing in any sort of regular way this year. Good to see you back on track!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:32 pm

GW nice to hear from you .I too have had to limp away with the dodgy hip but I dropped my daughter at our club after footy on Saturday(another Leicester win)where she works and sat looking over an empty course in the spring sunshine and thinking I need to get back into this!
I am going up there tomorrow to see a few of the lads no doubt talk about masters and ball marking!
We have the trilby tour on Sky here some time in July so if you wish you can take a look at our
little course bit like the queen visisting TBH

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Wed 05 Apr 2017, 9:20 pm

Hi dyna, how's it going? I've always thought the Trilby Tour would be good fun to watch live, if you do go let us know if it's any good.

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:05 am

Hope it's better to watch live than it is on TV. I find it irritating beyond belief! A load of c**ks with dreadful golf swings and generally more money than talent showing off. Ghastly.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:19 am

LadyPutt wrote:Hope it's better to watch live than it is on TV. I find it irritating beyond belief! A load of c**ks with dreadful golf swings and generally more money than talent showing off. Ghastly.

Quite true LP, I watched it briefly once to see what it was like. If I want to see complete hackers in stupid hats, I can just go down the club.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:34 pm

Ladyputt surely you cannot say that I'm not offended though for the record.
You are basically true though we have a few entered and jolly useful they are off their handicaps on the home course and there is also a qualifying comp for others to try to get in I think its £30 a pop though for the qualifier so someone is making a few bob.
I would rather you looked at the course Forest Hill and give me a bit of feedback because I spent six years design build and working there 25 years back.
One of our members has put up a load of sponsor money to bring it in.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:25 am

LP - hahaha....every club in the country has a few of those!! I reckon similar thoughts went through my mind every time I was on a golf course!

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 11 Apr 2017, 12:35 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Hope it's better to watch live than it is on TV. I find it irritating beyond belief! A load of c**ks with dreadful golf swings and generally more money than talent showing off. Ghastly.

I don't understand why anyone would watch it (live or on TV), unless you were in it or knew someone playing. Equivalent to watching village cricket, pub football or Arsenal on TV.

Having said that, it is a fantastic idea. It must be a wonderful experience to play in a comp which is set up like a professional tournament, and then to watch yourself on TV afterwards (even though we would all cringe looking at our own swings).

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 11 Apr 2017, 4:40 pm

...and in a lot of cases dodgy handicaps!! I can't say anything, I did it a couple of times, enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again. Way too expensive for what it is. Also the coverage is awful really really awful.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3