The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer

+32
Gibson
custart
88Chris05
Fernando
Tom_____
Josiah Maiestas
eirebilly
Talatonian
Chazfazzer
droogle
Haddie-nuff
Wooffie
erictheblueuk
socal1976
polished_man
lydian
gallery play
gboycottnut
bogbrush
ebar86
Tenez
Jahu
wow
sportslover
sonic_boom10
yummymummy
cats_r_cool
arunlopez
I AM AWESOME
kemet
CaledonianCraig
legendkillar
36 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Federer v Nadal

Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 18 ]
Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 18 ]

Total Votes : 36

Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 Empty FO Final Federer v Nadal

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

After a breathtaking day of semi finals, we have our two men to compete in the final.

Who wins?

Back to top Go down

Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 Empty Re: Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Tenez wrote:even nadal does not have that heavy biceps anymore.
------------------------------

Really? Must be my 16:9 screen then.

Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 56390 Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 56390 What is this to do with the match

Before you say anything Mr Y Man... I am truly .. truly doing my best sorry if it isnt good enough Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 2650018817

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 Empty Re: Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer

Post by legendkillar Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:14 pm

While I am waiting I have decided to see how Alex Bogdanovic is doing in qualifying and he is a set down and tied 3-3 in the second against Bobby Reynolds. Hoping that Bogdanovic can show more passion than Fognini's press conference!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Nadal is an amazing athlete. It's obvious he could have been brilliant in many sports.

BTW, his ability to look both slight and ripped at the same time is down to the fact that his bone structure is not the classic heroic male type. He has narrow-ish shoulders and wide-ish hips. I.e. without the muscles on top he'd look like nothing much in particular. Federer is the opposite, classic heroic male bone structure: very broad shoulders, narrow hips. But with no muscles on top, hence the skinny arms and legs.

Looking at djokovic's physique his legs are muscular, not the upper body. Obviously legs are the basis for generating power.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:18 pm

I am worried why some of the male posters are talking about mens physiques. Geesh if it is an issue buy Mens Health Magazine!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:21 pm

legendkillar wrote:I am worried why some of the male posters are talking about mens physiques. Geesh if it is an issue buy Mens Health Magazine!

There are few female posters around too and majority of them are nadal fans Smile. My mother never watched tennis before last year but she is a Nadal supporter despite of the fact I am a die hard Fed supporter.

Well, quite a lot of people wrote off Fed before the start of the tournament but here he is just one step away from 17th slam. Goodluck Roger.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Does anyone fancy starting a new thread about the actual match ?
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:24 pm

wow wrote:
legendkillar wrote:I am worried why some of the male posters are talking about mens physiques. Geesh if it is an issue buy Mens Health Magazine!

There are few female posters around too and majority of them are nadal fans Smile. My mother never watched tennis before last year but she is a Nadal supporter despite of the fact I am a die hard Fed supporter.

Well, quite a lot of people wrote off Fed before the start of the tournament but here he is just one step away from 17th slam. Goodluck Roger.

I have seen the Rafa link and I can see the attraction to women as he is quite the handsome chap, but some of the details posters are going into on this thread is somewhat disturbing and unecessary. Not like they have changed dramatically.

I am looking forward to the final. I am hoping Fed can do it, but I just can't see a way through Nadal with how he has played in the last 2 matches.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:27 pm

BTW interestingly, Nole, Nadal and Fed all have similar heights and bodyweights.
Nadal and Fed are same weight (85 kgs) and height, Nole on 81 kg and 1 inch taller.
They're hardly bodybuilders - and I've never seen Federer physically struggle against Nadal or any other player. Looking forward to seeing them 'struggle' together later...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:28 pm

I cant wait the match!
From a neutral point of view (dont favour one player over another) its a mouthwatering final and I cant call it either way. Both have a good chance of winning.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Be interesting to see the conditions. With the clay that is dusted on and which of the players it would benefit and if conditions were to deteriate, who would it benefit? Many suggestions throughout the tournaments that the courts have played like a hardcourt.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:29 pm

erictheblueuk wrote:Does anyone fancy starting a new thread about the actual match ?

??? Have they blocked or banned tenez? Shocked

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Very Happy I think that puts you in the realm of "a tennis fan" Lydian. Welcome to the club where we can enjoy the match between two great players who both have their strengths, skills, and talent. Nice to be normal isnt it. Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 732107

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:33 pm

If there was any British interest in Queens qualifying matches, play has been suspended. Be interesting to see what effect it would have on the tournament if play was suspended for the day.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Indeed haddie-nuff Very Happy

So looking forward to the match! Even to the point where family activities for the day HAVE to be balanced around being available to watch TV for a few hours from 2pm! We dont know if this may be the last Rafa-Roger slam final (after all the last one was nearly 2 and half years ago!) so I'm going to enjoy it. May the best man (on the day) win! A tough one for Fed for sure but he has weather, faster balls and great form on his side...plus he's moving better than I've seen him in a long time. I think he's also finally got past that anxious phase of playing Rafa and is a more balanced competitor now vs Rafa...I think it will be very close today, kind of a 60:40 win to Nadal. Fed has to win the first set you feel...and if he does and he's got Rafa rattled its not inconceivable he could roll through the rest of the match before Nadal really settles properly. Its a great match in prospect because of the rivalry and the feeling that no-one is sure who will win this versus the more certainty of previous FO Rafa-Roger finals.

Who does the match matter more to? I'm not sure actually, alot riding on it for both of them. Adds to the spice!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:45 pm

It's part of the mechanics of the sport, innit?

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:46 pm

lydian wrote: ... and I've never seen Federer physically struggle against Nadal or any other player. ...
I've seen Federer physically struggle against Nadals high kicking balls to his backhand on the clay of Roland Garros. As yet he doesn't seem to have developed a successful strategy against it.

ps The friend / foe button sounds like an interesting innovation (it might be worth trialing it since you can always undo it) and I agree that some are fairly transparent in their apparent prejudice.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I totally agree... hoping for a classic Fedal tussle ... Roger was certainly "on the ball" against Nole and I haven´t seen him play so well for ages... I hope Rafa does not revert to his lack of confidence which he had before Soderling match... all things being equal tennis fans should get their moneysworth... exciting and one I know we are all looking forward too. If all fails Lydian lock the family in the attic wth some goodies and computer games... ear plugs and you will forget they are there Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 1479719350 Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 2732920192

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Question to YI Man: after adding someone to the foe list, can you unfoe them without adding them to the friends list to get back to the original status?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:59 pm

In regard to the physicallity debate I sometimes wonder whether some might be confusing physicallity to the tactic of adopting heavy top spin: Bjorn Borg, Gustav Kuerten and Rafael Nadal employed the heavy top spin technique, and all were multiply successful on the clay of Roland Garros.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:00 pm

lol...true Haddie-nuff, attic ladder and Nintendo DSi's at the ready!
I see you're based in Spain, hope its nicer there than the rain we've got here today!

Nore staat - agree the friend/foe button is a good idea indeed. I guess I meant from a fatigue perspective that Federer doesnt struggle, hardly even sweats! Anyone who saw Rafa-Roger battle at Rome in 2006 for over 5 hours wont forget the staying power of both players. But agree, that from other physical perspectives Nadal puts the ball into awkward places for Roger...the pros and cons of a SHBH for Fed I'm afraid. Surprised he's not tried to either use the slice more or just take it earlier before it bounces high but that requires such exquisite timing that its very risky. However, Gasquet can do that better for instance.

One issue for Fed is his racquet. Its a relic of the 80s really being a modified Prostaff Wilson 6.0 (same as the 85 sq.in one Sampras used - amazing how Pete competed with that racquet as he did to 2002) but made slightly bigger to 90 sq in. That size is very small by todays standards and means the sweet spot is smaller, so your timing has to be great all the time, and when it is that racquet has such great feel. But in todays fast game he's been making more and more shanks...I'm surprised he hasnt tried to 're-bore' the racquet to 95 sq.in as he's got older. I think he would have benefitted from it greatly, especially on his backhand. Sorry for the aside...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Question to YI Man: after adding someone to the foe list, can you unfoe them without adding them to the friends list to get back to the original status?
Hi Nore

To remove someone from your foe list, just click the little box with a line through it (next to their name on the foe list) and you will start seeing their posts again. You dont need to add them to the friend list.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:06 pm

lol...true Haddie-nuff, attic ladder and Nintendo DSi's at the ready!
I see you're based in Spain, hope its nicer there than the rain we've got here today!
----------------------------

Yes Lydian the weather is pretty nigh on perfect at the moment.. about time summer has come a bit late this year.. but temperatures are extremely bearable.. sorry to rub it in and all that.. But hey we are both gonna be in front of the tv soon and wont care what its doing outside.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Lydian I found your aside very interesting and informative. I've always wanted to know the reasons for Roger's apparent inability to properly devise strategies against that shot of Rafael's. It seems that the single handed backhand shot and the racket that he uses, which are instrumental to Rogers tennis play just doesn't prove sufficiently effective / appropriate in combating that shot of Rafaels. It has not been a good match-up for Roger.

YIMan - thanks for the explanation - I will give it a trial thumbsup

Last edited by Nore Staat on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Sounds great...I'm wondering if you're near San miguel de salinas ;-)

Enjoy the match, not long now!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:14 pm

YIman- Have u banned tenez or what?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Yes Lydian I am ... and you have guessed haven´t you Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 769663 Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 732107
I must be very transparant Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 1479719350

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks Nore Staat, and the other issue for Fed is his grips which are probably between eastern and semi-western on both sides, which again puts pressure on him getting the timing exactly right each time. The fact he does so often shows you the timing talent he has. But then timing of grips is also relative to the speed index of the court you're playing on....

On clay the high bouncing balls make it harder for eastern/SW grips, hence Fed prefers the shots from guys like Murray and Djokovic which stay lower. So Fed has a SHBH and an almost eastern grip with a small racquet head...its a wonder he doesnt shank all the time!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:19 pm

wow wrote:YIman- Have u banned tenez or what?
Nope.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:21 pm

lol...indeed I have HN! Good to see you Hug
Havent been to that area since last August when it got to mid 40s...nearly frazzled me!
What a prospect for this afternoon eh?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:21 pm

How's the weather looking in Paris? Is the match still likely to start at 2pm (british time)?

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Lydian - thanks I still have much to learn on the technicalities of the game - so it is a combination of the SHBH, racket head and grip that Roger uses that goes "against him" in his efforts to combat that shot of Rafaels.

YIMan I trialled the foe button on a random 606v2 member but I can still see his posts. Maybe I have to logoff and login again for it to work?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:25 pm

OH Lydian I think you know where my heart lies... I would so love to see him do it again.. though Roger was a delight to watch the other night.. I really think its a 50/50 here. So my friend when are you going to get that lovely backside of yours over here again.. The weather is agreeable as you know last year unbearable.. but it is so so so quiet here at the moment. Last August registered 51 in my side garden...ouch!!! Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 769663 Anyway my friend... lets hope for a humdinger of a match

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Nore, I would try logging out, then back in.
Otherwise it could be a case of future posts being hidden.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:31 pm

YIman: I logged off and logged on again and I still see the posts - which would have made the foe list button more useful. Is there a webpage you could direct me to that explains the foe list features, thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:43 pm

Ive sent you a pm Nore

Not long to go now. How are the nerves people?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Le Big Match - Nadal v Federer - Page 2 479796 Bring it on

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Y I Man wrote:Ive sent you a pm Nore

Not long to go now. How are the nerves people?

Mine are okay. I have conditioned myself to accept a Roger defeat, as Rafa is so formidable on clay and is the premier force in men's tennis, Novak's streak notwithstanidng. I just hope that there is no repeat of the FO 2008 debacle. That was such a thumping that Rafa, being the gentleman that he is, refrained from his characteristic exuberant celebrations and simply raised his arms aloft when he won match point.

As long as Roger gives a good account of himself, I will be happy.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Talatonian Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:56 pm

A nervous wreck ......

Talatonian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Likewise Haddie_N, looking forward to a great match and it looks dry so far!
My parents find it far too hot in conditions like those, they just stay indoors! They've found it quiet too and their rental properties have been slow all year.

I'm pretty nervous YI, might be the last time we see these great rivals contest a slam final too! Great to see the crowd giving them a standing ovation and cheering them on! Wonder if the crowd will be one-sided again today...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:05 pm

And so it begins....

Sherlock Holmes against the crafty Moriarty.

The Great Roger confronts his Ultimate Nemesis.

Athens vs. Sparta is about to commence.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:08 pm

There's no way Roger is losing today like 2008 kernet...I'm expecting a really tight match all things considered.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Guys the chat box is on (right at the bottom of the main forum home page)
If you want a bit real time chat for the match, come and pop on. Just click 'log in' and away you go. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:27 pm

First blood to Roger. He breaks Rafa in his first service game.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Come on Fed, looking good so far

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Maybe, maybe - while Rafael and Novak have been taking the glory during the masters series, Roger has been focusing himself on devising a strategy for the slams...

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Usual charge from Fed on first set, probably will win this set, then let down on second and third, wake up on fourth, and a legendary fifth set.

Let's see Wink
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Maybe, maybe - while Rafael and Novak have been taking the glory during the masters series, Roger has been focusing himself on devising a strategy for the slams...

There's a long way to go though.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:32 pm

I like how Fed isn't chipping the backhand no one eats up the slice backhand on clay like Rafa.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Don't slice the backhand return he will kill u that way.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Very nice Roger, playing really comfortably and with a good game plan.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next