The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir Colin Meads terminally ill

+3
George Carlin
LordDowlais
Rugby Fan
7 posters

Go down

Sir Colin Meads terminally ill Empty Sir Colin Meads terminally ill

Post by Rugby Fan Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:47 am

Don't want to turn this rugby forum into Cancer Watch, but Meads is one of the greats of the game.

Sir Colin Meads' battle with pancreatic cancer is terminal, family have confirmed. The legendary lock, who turned 80 in June, was this week diagnosed with the disease after six months of ill-health.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11691476

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Sir Colin Meads terminally ill Empty Re: Sir Colin Meads terminally ill

Post by LordDowlais Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:00 pm

My father in law has just recently died of this. Horrible,horrible disease.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:17 pm

It has occurred to me that lots of youngfellers on these boards won't know who the Pinetree is or what he was like as a player. If that's you, can I urge you to spend a little time researching him as he was one of the all time great lock forwards. He was absolutely terrifying to play against - just a completely different physical specimen to almost everyone around him. 

I wish him all the best. A part of me curses these instant news cycles - they never let your heroes just be and fade into infinity as legends. Instead, we need to know all of the details of being humans instead. Don't get me wrong - he needs and deserves the public to support him (and as a national hero in NZ, he will receive a tsunami of good wishes) - but selfishly part of me wishes that I didn't know he was ill. 

Maybe that makes me strange or selfish. Dunno, it's too early in the morning here.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Very sad news and a horrible disease... Reading the article through, his son has refused to confirm that the diagnosis is terminal and there's a lot of talk of him fighting it, so we can hope for a recovery.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Poorfour wrote:Very sad news and a horrible disease... Reading the article through, his son has refused to confirm that the diagnosis is terminal and there's a lot of talk of him fighting it, so we can hope for a recovery.

Unfortunately, unless its caught very early, with pancreatic cancer its a question of when rather than if. I am sure there will be a magic bullet for it one day but not yet. It is not always that quick and can be managed to a degree but it is brutal.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Me and Sir Colin a few months ago.  A great fighter and my ultimate rugby hero.  Kia kaha Sir Colin. His Ca is not Terminal.

Sir Colin Meads terminally ill Fb_img10
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:24 am

Lovely photo and horrible news. I hope his passing is as painless as it possibly can be.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down