The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+38
4putt
ralphjohn69
owen10ozzy
Fernando
Diggers
pedro
Eyetoldyouso
Roller_Coaster
NedB-H
LadyPutt
Faldono1fan
monty junior
kouchi
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
navyblueshorts
John Cregan
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
AlciG
beninho
sirbenson
raycastleunited
MontysMerkin
JAS
Plunky
Shotrock
wiretapper
GPB
robopz
Seve76
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Davie
TRUSSMAN66
Mad for Chelsea
McLaren
kwinigolfer
42 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 9 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

There . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 9 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by super_realist Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:25 pm

GPB wrote:
He can join for the 2017 season,

How?

Well, if he can't join for the 2017 season, what makes you think he can join it and be playing in tournaments now? You were the one saying no leprechauns are going to grant him membership, so if he can't join for 2017, how can he join right now?

At the absolute worst he can qualify for 2017/18 through Tour School and get his card and get play enough events between then and the 2018 RC. If he wants I'm sure he could get invites between now and qualifying if he wanted to

Last edited by super_realist on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 9 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by GPB Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:31 pm

For a 21 year, one or two weeks is a breather. 7 weeks is a lifetime.

IMO, he should have started to build a foundation for joining the EuroTour

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:34 pm

GPB wrote:
Comparing Scorecards for Match Play is not always the wisest thing as players are playing their opponent and not the golf course, but here is how each of the 24 players stood against par on Sunday

Zach -3
Kuch -3
Brooks -6
DJ -5
Sneds -5
Moore -2
Phil -9
Walker -3
Rickie -2
Holmes -2
Jordan -3
Reed -5

Fitz +2
Martin -4
Willett E
Wood -4
Sully -1
Westy -2
Sergio -9
RCB -5
Rose -1
Pieters -4
Stenson -7
Rory -4

Interesting and pretty instructive. Thanks. U.S.A. simply consistently better on Sunday and it highlights how the Mickleson/Garcia match scoring was insane.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:36 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:
He can join for the 2017 season,

How?

Well, if he can't join for the 2017 season, what makes you think he can join it and be playing in tournaments now? You were the one saying no leprechauns are going to grant him membership, so if he can't join for 2017, how can he join right now?

At the absolute worst he can qualify for 2017/18 through Tour School and get his card and get play enough events between then and the 2018 RC. If he wants I'm sure he could get invites between now and qualifying if he wanted to

I will take that as a non-answer

I never said he could join. I said he should start building a foundation with the EuroTour as apparently the RC Team is a closed shop to "bona fide" EuroTour member and not party crashers like Russell Knox.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:44 pm

I'm not completely sure how the ET membership works if you don't earn it thru Q-School (or top 110(?) R2D points). Does a non-member have to be in the owgr Top 50 to qualify for membership if not achieved thru Q-School? If Rahm is the real thing, that should be readily achievable, but agree it would behove the ET to get him sponsors' invites.

(Don't agree about the age thing, GPB, we've seen 21-y-o Rory and 21-y-o Spieth burn out recently, tired is tired however old you are. And footballers prove it every World Cup & Euros.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:50 pm

Maybe he's more concerned with ensuring he has a golf future and isn't a flash in the pan before looking at things too deeply.
He's got time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:50 pm

Kind of agree with Jacklin here, except to say that it's a two-way street:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/jacklin-europe-needs-relax-ryder-cup-rules

And: No-one has figured out who would have been on the Team if Casey & Knox were somehow gerry-mandered on to it.
For every Sully you take off, you probably have to take off a Pieters too.
And Willett was one of our worst performers, yet you're not likely to leave off a Major Champ.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm

I see the Ryder Cup made its way to Latrobe for Arnie's memorial service.
Would it have gone to Galway if Europe had won?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:55 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

(Don't agree about the age thing, GPB, we've seen 21-y-o Rory and 21-y-o Spieth burn out recently, tired is tired however old you are. And footballers prove it every World Cup & Euros.)

It all depends on Rahm's priorities. If Rahm wants to be on the 2018 Euro RC team, I think he should have played two or three times in the last few weeks (In Italy, or Holland, or Germany). As well as he played this summer on the PGAT, I think he could have done enough in a few weeks to gain membership for the 2017 season so he could have start accumulating RC points in September

If that is not a primary goal, then he should do what he has done.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 04 Oct 2016, 5:12 pm

Some notables at Arnold's memorial service.

Finchem, Tom and Bubba Watson, Mickelson, Strange, Stadler, Nancy Lopez, Annika Sorenstam, Jim Nantz, Trevino, Nicklaus, Billy Payne, Peter Dawson, Faldo, Mark Steinberg, Fuzzy, Billy Horschel, Rickie Fowler.

And a few others that I can't remember.

Edit:  also DL-III, Feherty, Jacobson, Mike Weir, Colt Knost, Tim Herron, Ernie, Matt Every

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 04 Oct 2016, 8:35 pm

Expect the next Euro captain to be named in connection with the committee meeting before (after?) Abu Dhabi.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 04 Oct 2016, 9:53 pm

GPB wrote:Some notables at Arnold's memorial service.
Tom and Bubba Watson

I can picture the couple now. Bubba in a black dress, crying her eyes out on Tom's shoulder, while Tom comforts her.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:08 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I see the Ryder Cup made its way to Latrobe for Arnie's memorial service.
Would it have gone to Galway if Europe had won?

if Europe had won? HA HA HA HA Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

j/k.

Was surprised that I didn't see anyone representing the 2016 Euro RC Team at the service.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:17 pm

I dunno, can't imagine anyone from the US would have been at Seve's or Christy's.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:38 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I dunno, can't imagine anyone from the US would have been at Seve's or Christy's.

There was a pretty big tournament being played a couple days after during Seve's funeral. And it was 8 hour flight and 5 time zones away.

Half the Euro Ryder Cup team lives about a 2 hr flight from Latrobe and in the same time zone and not playing in a tournament this week.

comparing Christy O'Connor and Arnold Palmer? Rolling Eyes

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:45 pm

I'm sure Himself meant as much to Irish golf as Palmer ever meant to US golf; certainly played more RC's, though equally certainly won fewer..
Perhaps Sirnick was the ET representative?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:08 am

Arnold Palmer put the Open Championship back on the map. Every Euro fan has heard of Arnold Palmer. Few American fans know who Christy O'Connor was.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:12 am

No comment!!!!!!!! guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2016, 7:58 am

GPB

I don't really know who Christy O'Conner was other than being the guy that hit that 2 iron. Not sure your average golfer in the UK would know much more about him.

Edit: just googled him and there are two of them (Jnr and Snr). Who both died this year. What one are you guys talking about?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 05 Oct 2016, 8:57 am

Just in case you were unaware but Arnold Palmer was a man who played golf a long time ago. Princess Di he ain't.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 05 Oct 2016, 10:00 am

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:I dunno, can't imagine anyone from the US would have been at Seve's or Christy's.

There was a pretty big tournament being played a couple days after during Seve's funeral.  And it was 8 hour flight and 5 time zones away.

Half the Euro Ryder Cup team lives about a 2 hr flight from Latrobe and in the same time zone and not playing in a tournament this week.

comparing Christy O'Connor and Arnold Palmer?   Rolling Eyes

There's a fairly big European tournament this week.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 05 Oct 2016, 10:47 am

I'm washing my hair. You?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 05 Oct 2016, 11:40 am

Christy Senior played in 10 consecutive Ryder Cups from 55-73 - a record only surpassed by Nick Faldo. He played in an era when European players didn't play in the 3 US Majors. Greats like Jack Nicklaus recognised the greatness of him.

Gary Player's view of Senior was: "He remains, with Sam Snead, the most naturally gifted golfer I have ever seen."

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:51 pm

Thank you John C,
Sometimes I wonder if Mac knows what he doesn't know.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2016, 1:03 pm

Kwini

A bit harsh.  Why would I know all that much about that era of golf?

Snr sounds like quite a player, no doubt there are many more like him that I know little of.

PS, I have many unknown unknowns.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Oct 2016, 1:08 pm

Only that it was pretty much the same era as Palmer's . . . . . . .

He even won the Ryder Cup, 59 years ago today.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 05 Oct 2016, 4:28 pm

JAS wrote:
GPB wrote:

There was a pretty big tournament being played a couple days after during Seve's funeral.  And it was 8 hour flight and 5 time zones away.

I don't see Rory, Henrik, Rosey, Sergio in that field

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 07 Oct 2016, 6:47 pm

GPB wrote:
JAS wrote:
GPB wrote:

I don't see Rory, Henrik, Rosey, Sergio in that field

I'm guessing they're all licking their wounds, some apparently physical, some mental. In terms of whether it's a big tournament or not, it's the biggest prize pot on the ET in between the PGA Champ and the RTD final series. Be interesting to see how many more big names play it next year when the 147th at Carnoustie is only 9 months away.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 22 May 2018, 2:18 pm

Luke, Lee, GMac and Padraig announced today as Team Europe Vice Captains

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Tue 22 May 2018, 2:22 pm

So which one is being primed for Whistling Straits? Three of the four have had at least decent PGA tour careers.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 22 May 2018, 4:19 pm

So that’s 5 vice captains. No one from France. Bjorn going for a French wildcard?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 22 May 2018, 4:27 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:So that’s 5 vice captains. No one from France. Bjorn going for a French wildcard?

Would have thought Levet would have got a shout, but you never know who might have turned him down.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 22 May 2018, 8:02 pm

wiretapper wrote:So which one is being primed for Whistling Straits? Three of the four have had at least decent PGA tour careers.

Jim Furyk has more PGATour wins than than all the Captains and Vice Captains put together

Furyk - 17

Bjorn - 0
Westwood - 2
Harrington - 6
Donald - 5
GMAC - 3
Karlsson - 0

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 22 May 2018, 8:15 pm

Westwood probably has more wins in Europe than the rest of the USA team put together - no I can't be arsed to check. Have we just hooked the first troll of the campaign?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 22 May 2018, 8:40 pm

Davie wrote:Westwood probably has more wins in Europe than the rest of the USA team put together - no I can't be arsed to check. Have we just hooked the first troll of the campaign?

More than Tiger? I don't think so. laughing

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 22 May 2018, 10:12 pm

GPB wrote:
Davie wrote:Westwood probably has more wins in Europe than the rest of the USA team put together - no I can't be arsed to check. Have we just hooked the first troll of the campaign?

More than Tiger?  I don't think so.  laughing
Tiger only has a handful of wins in Europe. So, yes.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 22 May 2018, 10:19 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:So that’s 5 vice captains. No one from France. Bjorn going for a French wildcard?
He shouldn’t pick a Frenchman just for the sake of it, or because he would be better at booking hotels or organising the catering. He should pick who he thinks can lead Europe to victory.
A French player could generate some excitement amongst the fans, but I doubt a French VC could.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 22 May 2018, 10:19 pm

pedro wrote:
GPB wrote:

So are you going to discount all of Westwood wins that are not in Europe?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 22 May 2018, 10:25 pm

wiretapper wrote:So which one is being primed for Whistling Straits? Three of the four have had at least decent PGA tour careers.
Who cares? How was McGinleys PGATour career? Or Torrances? Or Montys? Or James’? Or Bjorns?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 22 May 2018, 10:30 pm

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:
GPB wrote:

So are you going to discount all of Westwood wins that are not in Europe?
That was not the argument. It was that LW has had more wins in Europe than the US team combined. Which I guess he’s had.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 22 May 2018, 10:44 pm

pedro wrote:
Who cares? How was McGinleys PGATour career? Or Torrances? Or Montys? Or James’? Or Bjorns?
Bingo.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 22 May 2018, 10:48 pm

Since the Ryder Cup actually started to matter again (about 1980)... I don't think there's much if any correlation between wins on any tour and the success/effectiveness of various captains... Especially in the back half of that span...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 22 May 2018, 10:56 pm

robopz wrote:Since the Ryder Cup actually started to matter again (about 1980)... I don't think there's much if any correlation between wins on any tour and the success/effectiveness of various captains... Especially in the back half of that span...
Who said Tom Watson and Nick Faldo... Run

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 22 May 2018, 11:03 pm

Its closer than you think

20 Wins in Europe for Westwood by my count

9: Woods (3 Opens, 3 WGCs in Europe, 3 regular Euro Events)
3: Mickelson (1 Open, 1 Scottish, 1 Challenge)
1: Spieth (1 Open)
1: Fowler (1 Scottish)
5: Koepka (Turkey, 4 Challenge)
======

Not counting Zach, who has one Open win, who could very well be on the team.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 22 May 2018, 11:20 pm

Wow, including the Challenge Tour.. I’m sure LW has some Europro tour wins (or whatever it was called back then when he was a pimpled chubby teenager).

PS. Koepkas Turkey win was in Asia.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 22 May 2018, 11:25 pm

pedro wrote:Wow, including the Challenge Tour.. I’m sure LW has some Europro tour wins (or whatever it was called back then when he was a pimpled chubby teenager).

PS. Koepkas Turkey win was in Asia.

LOL...

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 23 May 2018, 12:01 am

Phil having a Challenge Tour win is one of my favourite bits of random golf trivia. Still don’t really understand why he was at that tournament.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 23 May 2018, 12:32 pm

Go on then, what did Phil win on the challenge and when?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 23 May 2018, 12:58 pm

GPB wrote:

Is Tiger even qualified for 2018?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed 23 May 2018, 1:03 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Go on then, what did Phil win on the challenge and when?

According to Wikipedia - 1993 Tournoi Perrier de Paris

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next