The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead

+32
No 7&1/2
beshocked
reallybored
jimbopip
CraigS1874
Nematode
demosthenes
Hazel Sapling
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
cakeordeath
munkian
bsando
GLove39
robbo277
Lost In London
RuggerRadge2611
EST
George Carlin
SecretFly
BigGee
MacKnocked-on
IanBru
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
uncle_nigel
RDW
36 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 3 Empty Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead

Post by RDW Mon 28 Nov - 9:19

First topic message reminder :

Results

Scotland 22 Australia 23 Sad

Scotland 19 Argentina 16 Yahoo

Scotland 43 Georgia 16 Very Happy

I think the Scotsman summed up our Autumn Series pretty well:

Scotsman wrote:Two wins, one desperately narrow loss that could have ended differently, ten tries, two ranking places gained and all of the above completed with the absence of a host of players who have proved crucial for Scotland in the past, including the two best props in the country. All in, there was much to admire about Scotland’s autumn series

6N fixtures

Scotland V Ireland
France V Scotland

Scotland V Wales

England V Scotand
Scotland V Italy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead

Post by SecretFly Thu 1 Dec - 15:59

Jew Lions?

606 is going to the dogs.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead

Post by RDW Thu 1 Dec - 16:00

Predictive text fail - I've corrected it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 1 Dec - 16:00

01 DEC TOWNSEND RULES HIMSELF OUT OF LIONS RECKONING

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach Gregor Townsend today confirmed his decision to turn down the opportunity to join the British & Irish Lions coaching staff for next year’s tour of New Zealand, in light of his commitment to his future role as Head Coach of the Scotland national team.

Townsend’s first international responsibility – when he takes on the Scotland role from Vern Cotter in June – would be national team’s summer tour to Australia, a tour which overlaps that of the touring Lions select.

“It’s a case of timing,” said the former stand-off and 1997 Lions tourist.

“I feel hugely privileged to be given the Scotland job and our first opportunity to work with the players is at the same time as the Lions tour.”

“I was approached a couple of weeks ago – and I was obviously flattered – but my priority now is Glasgow and at, the end of the season, Scotland are going on tour, so that’s the priority then.

“I had a good think and didn’t give an immediate answer. I really wanted to reflect on what was involved but I quickly realised that the Scotland tour to Australia is my number one priority at the end of this season.

“At international level you don’t get that much access with the players. This is the most access you’ll get with them. On a tour you get to work with them, preparing them and spending time with them, so that’s the biggest factor.”

Despite his anticipation of the Scotland tour and this chance to work with the players, Townsend conceded that he hopes there are a few notable absentees.

“We had three Glasgow players on the last Lions tour, to get a similar number or more would be fantastic for us and Scottish rugby,” he said.

“I want as many Scotland players as possible to be on tour with the Lions. It would be a brilliant experience, to learn from different coaches, to learn from different players and to take on the best team in world rugby.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 1 Dec - 16:04

SecretFly wrote:Jew Lions?

laughing
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 1 Dec - 16:13

Ugh! SRU must surely be feeling bit daft

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 1 Dec - 16:22

If Townsend was still going to be Glasgow coach next season I'm almost certain he would have accepted this opportunity.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 1 Dec - 16:46

Yes, I think he would have gone had he been still at Glasgow.

But I think he is giving the right attitude to his now to his new job and to his Nation.  It is an honour to be chosen to lead your own Nation.  I think he's doing the right thing, both for the benefit of that team on a practical level, but also doing the right thing emotionally for the team that will place their trust and faith in him to lead them through the next number of years.

He's marking his card and saying first priority is his National side.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 1 Dec - 17:05

Of course there is a chance that the SRU blocked it, and this is him having to play politics, but I hope that isn't the case.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 1 Dec - 17:06

Jews and Lions don't have the best of historical relationships!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 1 Dec - 18:10

tigertattie wrote:

Jews and Lions don't have the best of historical relationships!

Ain't that the Christians you're referring to?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 2 Dec - 10:35

RDW_Scotland wrote:01 DEC TOWNSEND RULES HIMSELF OUT OF LIONS RECKONING

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach Gregor Townsend today confirmed his decision to turn down the opportunity to join the British & Irish Lions coaching staff for next year’s tour of New Zealand, in light of his commitment to his future role as Head Coach of the Scotland national team.

Townsend’s first international responsibility – when he takes on the Scotland role from Vern Cotter in June – would be national team’s summer tour to Australia, a tour which overlaps that of the touring Lions select.

“I feel hugely privileged to be given the Scotland job and our first opportunity to work with the players is at the same time as the Lions tour.”

“I was approached a couple of weeks ago – and I was obviously flattered – but my priority now is Glasgow and at, the end of the season, Scotland are going on tour, so that’s the priority then.

“I had a good think and didn’t give an immediate answer. I really wanted to reflect on what was involved but I quickly realised that the Scotland tour to Australia is my number one priority at the end of this season.

“At international level you don’t get that much access with the players. This is the most access you’ll get with them. On a tour you get to work with them, preparing them and spending time with them, so that’s the biggest factor.”

Despite his anticipation of the Scotland tour and this chance to work with the players, Townsend conceded that he hopes there are a few notable absentees.

“We had three Glasgow players on the last Lions tour, to get a similar number or more would be fantastic for us and Scottish rugby,” he said.

“I want as many Scotland players as possible to be on tour with the Lions. It would be a brilliant experience, to learn from different coaches, to learn from different players and to take on the best team in world rugby.”

He'll have desperately wanted to coach the Lions, but having been the cause of the controversial sacking of Cotter (probably our finest coach since Telfer), he clearly felt that had little option but to step up and prioritise Scotland. I just hope that his decision isn't to the detriment of the likes of Gray and Hogg, and their prospects of getting called-up.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 2 Dec - 11:03

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:01 DEC TOWNSEND RULES HIMSELF OUT OF LIONS RECKONING

He'll have desperately wanted to coach the Lions, but having been the cause of the controversial sacking of Cotter (probably our finest coach since Telfer), he clearly felt that had little option but to step up and prioritise Scotland. I just hope that his decision isn't to the detriment of the likes of Gray and Hogg, and their prospects of getting called-up.

I do wonder about the inside story of the Townsend appointment, the more I think about it the less sense it makes.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 2 Dec - 11:35

What happens if Townsend takes over and we then have one or two wooden spoons (quite possible, such are the margins in 6Ns, despite our improvement)? That would be massively embarrassing for the SRU.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 2 Dec - 11:51

MacKnocked-on wrote:What happens if Townsend takes over and we then have one or two wooden spoons (quite possible, such are the margins in 6Ns, despite our improvement)? That would be massively embarrassing for the SRU.

And that we'll have an entirely new coaching team with their own ideas!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 2 Dec - 13:08

RDW_Scotland wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:What happens if Townsend takes over and we then have one or two wooden spoons (quite possible, such are the margins in 6Ns, despite our improvement)? That would be massively embarrassing for the SRU.

And that we'll have an entirely new coaching team with their own ideas!

Can't I just take the happy clappy pills and pretend it'll be fine? I mean... it is the same coaching team as Glasgow, so could be worse! At least they know the majority of the squad

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 2 Dec - 13:47

BTW, what the hell is going to happen to Glasgow, if virtually all of Glasgow backroom transfers to Scotland International?

Has a new coach being preliminarily identified?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 2 Dec - 13:47

Cotter?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 2 Dec - 14:05

Cotter is off to Montpelier!

Apparently Montpelier is like the French version of Glasgow!....................
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 2 Dec - 14:06

Yeah....
Is anyone named to be in the running?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 2 Dec - 14:09

SecretFly wrote:BTW, what the hell is going to happen to Glasgow, if virtually all of Glasgow backroom transfers to Scotland International?

Has a new coach being preliminarily identified?

The SRU have pulled of some sort of miracle, and Dave Rennie will be the coach next season. The current backs coach for Scotland, O'Halloran, will jump across to Glasgow (they coached together in NZ, apparently) alongside Jonathan Humphries (not such good news).

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 2 Dec - 14:17

tigertattie wrote:Cotter is off to Montpelier!

Apparently Montpelier is like the French version of Glasgow!....................

You mean in the sense that people live there....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 2 Dec - 14:19

funnyExiledScot wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Cotter is off to Montpelier!

You mean in the sense that people live there....
Laugh

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 7 Dec - 9:30

See these Mods that lock threads after you post a comment that will infuriate the soap dodging ones! Nae fun!!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 7 Dec - 10:50

Just bought tickets for the Ireland game. Tried to buy 3 'budget' tickets together but no chance - all singles dotted round the stadium. The only ones I could get together were £85. That is mental.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 7 Dec - 11:06

thought they are not on sale till 2pm?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 7 Dec - 11:40

tigertattie wrote:See these Mods that lock threads after you post a comment that will infuriate the soap dodging ones! Nae fun!!!!
One might ask why you'd deliberately say things that would infuriate your fellow supporters.

One might also ask why the last time Edinburgh contributed a stand-off to the national team, Gordon Brown was looking good for a win in 2010...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 7 Dec - 12:11

Now now chaps. Us superior capital city types can afford to be kind and generous to our less favoured brethren from the east

;-)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 7 Dec - 12:34

IanBru wrote:
tigertattie wrote:See these Mods that lock threads after you post a comment that will infuriate the soap dodging ones! Nae fun!!!!
One might ask why you'd deliberately say things that would infuriate your fellow supporters.

One might also ask why the last time Edinburgh contributed a stand-off to the national team, Gordon Brown was looking good for a win in 2010...

It's because Parks, Jackson and Weir were World Class.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 7 Dec - 12:38

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:thought they are not on sale till 2pm?

Paid to get access a week early.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 7 Dec - 12:47

CRAIG JOUBERT HAS RETIRED Bubbly

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 3 2gjPYJn

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 7 Dec - 13:19

GLove39 wrote:CRAIG JOUBERT HAS RETIRED Bubbly

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 3 2gjPYJn

We should all club together and get him something. Maybe the CIA have a few of those poisonous cigars left from the Castro days.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 7 Dec - 14:15

Interesting tweet not long ago saying that Townsend refused the Lions because he was offered an assistant role under Howley.

Makes perfect sense.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 7 Dec - 14:38

Yeah, I saw that. It changes Townsend's situation from a genuine dilemma to a choice between chateaubriand and a soggy macaroni pie.

I liked the tweet I saw earlier saying, in effect, that Scotland's rugby intellectual property is now safe for a season at least - Townsend would undoubtedly have been required to use the ingenuitive plays for the Lions which he had been developing for his first Six Nations in charge.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 7 Dec - 15:01

Just bought my tickets for the Wales game. We are surely due them a thumping right?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 7 Dec - 15:07

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Just bought my tickets for the Wales game. We are surely due them a thumping right?

I hope so.....I really really hope so.

In fact, I hope they get pumped proper by everyone!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 7 Dec - 15:11

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Interesting tweet not long ago saying that Townsend refused the Lions because he was offered an assistant role under Howley.

Makes perfect sense.

That's awesome. Calls to mind that West Wing scene when Bingo Bob Russell offers Matt Santos the chance of being his Vice President.

Easiest decision Toonie will ever make.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 7 Dec - 15:20

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Interesting tweet not long ago saying that Townsend refused the Lions because he was offered an assistant role under Howley.

Makes perfect sense.

That's awesome. Calls to mind that West Wing scene when Bingo Bob Russell offers Matt Santos the chance of being his Vice President.

Easiest decision Toonie will ever make.

Isn't it just!

Will be very interesting who does accept that prestigious position. I see Ben Ryan is being touted as being involved somehow.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 8 Dec - 11:51

Is this wave of optimism I'm feeling another false dawn in the making?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 8 Dec - 12:15

I don't think it is a false dawn.

The key players are all young, winning matches for Scotland and getting better (Sutherland, Fagerson, Grays, the Edinburgh back row, Russell, centres, Hogg, Kinghorn).

The players who are aging out (Dickinson, Ford, Laidlaw, Lamont) have replacements ready or have been replaced (bar maybe Laidlaw).

The guys in their prime (Brown/McInally, Nel, Barclay, Hardie, Strauss, Harley, the 3 wings) add to the squad but are steadily being taken on by the new crowd.

The youngsters are getting gametime and starting to develop as pros (Malcolm, Fenton, McCallum, Cummings, Fagerson, Wynne, Smith, Miller, Horne, Steele, Hutchison, Hastings, Fergusson, Robbins). You can see a pipeline of talent moving forward that will at the least make the grade as professionals.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 15 Dec - 13:10

So with O'halloran making himself unavailable for the Lions tour will this now mean only a strong 6 Nations showing can ensure a healthy Scots contingent on the tour? Personally I think if Scotland place 3rd or below they will have a similar selection of players to 2013. Also, for Hogg, if halfpenny plays like he did for Toulon this weekend just gone I think we may see him benching it for all 3 tests or not involved at all.

It is interesting though that Gatland has said he was keen to have a Scottish coach involved with his choice of Ireland, Welsh and England coaching team. However, Townsend and O'halloran both have big projects on their plates at an awkward time to tour and I don't blame either of them for opting out. I suspect the only way to have gained Townsend would have been to have made him the attack coach for the Lions rather than Howley. That was never gonna happen though with Gatland as head coach.

I wonder wether Vern Cotter has been approached at all? Would he be available or able to go?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 15 Dec - 13:28

Vern would probably tell them to bolt also as he'll be gearing up for preseason with Montpelier!

There's only two people I can think of that could be approached

Sean Lineen
Grandpappy Solomons (but the Glasgow boys would struggle)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 15 Dec - 17:38

It will take a very good 6N for the majority of our players, who might be on the fringe of selection, to enter into the consideration. But then, we already knew that.

If we get two wins, I would say only Hogg and Nell (if he regains the same form he showed before injuries) are in the probable category. Such is the depth at lock, and considering the coaching team, I honestly think Gray will struggle.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 15 Dec - 18:47

Folk seem not to rate Gray - I think 'cs he is not flashy in style. The best lock in the NH tho IMO

I am happy for the scots to have no one going. any scots will only play bit parts and it took Hogg a long time to recover confidence and form after the last Tour. Gray will need a rest as well surely

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 16 Dec - 10:05

Big tour in Aus for the Scots to focus on furious boxing furious

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 16 Dec - 10:07

If the Lions have a restarts coach, I'd be happy for the whole f**king team to go.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 16 Dec - 10:13

Yeah agreed, I think that was the point Gatland was making in his interview with BBCWales, that if he has a coach who understands the Scottish systems and the players it makes life much easier for him to integrate them in to the team. However, I personally think this is horse manure. He is a world class professional head coach with a fantastic coaching team in place. Surely if a player is talented enough and merits to tour it should not matter if there isn't a Scottish coach who knows the players well.

As it stands I think Scotland have a lot of solid options to make the tour. Gray who has unbelievable stats, Maitland who is scoring nearly every game for Saracens and knows the kiwi style of game, Hogg obviously, Nel who if he has another immense 6N should tour, possibly one of either Dunbar, Jones, Taylor or Bennet. There should realistically be at least 5 Scots going on the tour next year and I will be disappointed if there isn't.

The silver lining to the story is that if only a couple go we'll have a solid squad for the tour of Australia.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 16 Dec - 10:23

Also, I think the fact that Glasgow will have Dave Rennie is huge and was a really good decision by the SRU. He is someone who will attract bigger signings from NZ and hopefully provide euro glory. So in a way, the Lions tour is second priority in the long term. I will just feel sorry for the fringe players who miss out as they may never get another chance to tour.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 16 Dec - 10:47

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:If the Lions have a restarts coach, I'd be happy for the whole f**king team to go.

true

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 3 Jan - 12:12

Only 32 days until Scotland vs Ireland. January is always like the buildup to christmas for most of us and I am really excited about this years 6 Nations and Scotland's chances of securing more than 2 wins.

Have to say I'm interested to see if Hastings gets an opportunity to be involved. Personally I think Jackson and probably Weir are ahead of him in pecking order as Horne is injured, but you never know.. He's doing well at Bath and it is great he gets to learn his trade from both Ford and Preistland as well as Blackadder.

Will we see Hogg at 10 for any of the matches? Would we want to see him at 10?

How are Scotland's young front row forwards going to fair after a good showing in Autumn?

Exciting times ahead!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 3 Jan - 13:04

bsando wrote:Only 32 days until Scotland vs Ireland. January is always like the buildup to christmas for most of us and I am really excited about this years 6 Nations and Scotland's chances of securing more than 2 wins.

Have to say I'm interested to see if Hastings gets an opportunity to be involved. Personally I think Jackson and probably Weir are ahead of him in pecking order as Horne is injured, but you never know.. He's doing well at Bath and it is great he gets to learn his trade from both Ford and Preistland as well as Blackadder.

Will we see Hogg at 10 for any of the matches? Would we want to see him at 10?

How are Scotland's young front row forwards going to fair after a good showing in Autumn?

Exciting times ahead!

If that is the case, then he should give up rugby. Anyone worst than Weir is either dead or NDL

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next