The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?!

+41
Pot Hale
marty2086
Mad for Chelsea
Majestic83
alive555
exile jack
Anglobraveheart
XR
TJ
Nematode
SirBurger
rapidsnowman
formerly known as Sam
Welly
GLove39
InjuredYetAgain
RuggerRadge2611
bsando
EST
Hazel Sapling
Eejit
demosthenes
BigGee
MacKnocked-on
funnyExiledScot
Manky-Flanker
CraigS1874
Tattie Scones RRN
TheMildlyFranticLlama
jimbopip
nickj
EWT Spoons
Dollar Bill
tigertattie
George Carlin
R!skysports
IanBru
cakeordeath
RDW
A Simply Mesmeric Try
45 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?!

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Tue 31 Jan 2017 - 7:05

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Jessie10          Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Glasgo10
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/
http://www.edinburghrugby.org/

A NOT SO BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME-WASTING   (CLICK TO SHOW/HIDE):

1872 Cup

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Trophy

Champions                Runner up
Edinburgh                  Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwKYyik1ZsD3_NYcbnfefbOA7hTaw1Oo_88AYpdNDsajawQmV  Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVncYalRPIL7Z-Ia2Em4LrCX8uZulmt1PKHCS4z5p5kPxIEYs

1872 CUP - PAST RESULTS   (CLICK TO SHOW/HIDE):

Guinness Pro12

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 396067

Guinness Pro12 Website
Edinburgh Rugby (Pro12 Website)
Glasgow Warriors (Pro12 Website)
Guinness Pro12 2016/17 Overview (Ultimate Rugby)

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 YouTube-logo-full_color
Playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 highlights here.
Playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 highlights here.

Europe

European Rugby Website

CHAMPIONS CUP
QUARTER FINAL
SARACENS v GLASGOW WARRIORS
Sun, Apr 2, 13:00, Allianz Park

CHALLENGE CUP
QUARTER FINAL
EDINBURGH v LA ROCHELLE
Fri, March 31, 19:00, Murrayfield Stadium

Both European Finals are at Murrayfield. Fingers Crossed

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Wed 1 Feb 2017 - 12:20; edited 2 times in total
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?!

Post by cakeordeath Sat 4 Feb 2017 - 18:58

George Carlin wrote:Oh my god. Could we really not beat this Munster side?

There were a couple of positives. Both Edinburgh props performed admirably. I thought overall the rest of the pack had a decent game. Cochrane's line out went to pot though. That doesn't hide the fact that Edinburgh couldn't score a try, they reminded me of Scotland of old, get close to the try line panic and Frak it up.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?!

Post by George Carlin Sat 4 Feb 2017 - 23:38

My real interest is in how Hardie and CDP got on.

'Fine' and 'completely anonymously' seems to be the consensus.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 4 Feb 2017 - 23:40

I'd say Hardie was probably 'good' but anonymous is fairly accurate for CDP.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Sun 5 Feb 2017 - 21:53

Sunday Times has SRU 'lining up' a move to Edinburgh for Mark Bennett, on the back of the arrival of Huw Jones at Glasgow.

Obviously this has been talked about on here before, but I think it's the first time I have seen it in the press. And isn't Mark Palmer, the ST journo, reasonably well informed?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 5 Feb 2017 - 21:57

demosthenes wrote:Sunday Times has SRU 'lining up' a move to Edinburgh for Mark Bennett, on the back of the arrival of Huw Jones at Glasgow.

Obviously this has been talked about on here before, but I think it's the first time I have seen it in the press.  And isn't Mark Palmer, the ST journo, reasonably well informed?
Just when Bennett thought he would never again have to stand next to Duncan Weir as the ball was booted into Row Y...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 5 Feb 2017 - 23:45

It is going to make it a lot easier to support Edinburgh now, when they are effectively becoming Glasgow 2nds!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 21:38

Shuggie to Glasgow confirmed.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 21:45

Good signing.

Does this mean he's available for Pre-season (after the Scotland tour) and that Glasgow will buy out the rest of his contract? From memory his contract expired in October...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 21:47

Worst kept secret, but good news for Glasgow.  I was thinking to myself the other day, if only Glasgow had another international standard centre, the poor lads are really short of quality in the backs.

Edinburgh are rumoured to be on the hunt for Duncan Weir's long lost brother. Apparently he's not as good as meatball, but he could maybe do a job for an under 12 3rds team.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 22:07; edited 1 time in total

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 21:48

RDW_Scotland wrote:Good signing.

Does this mean he's available for Pre-season (after the Scotland tour) and that Glasgow will buy out the rest of his contract? From memory his contract expired in October...

the tweet from glasgow say he's signed a two year deal from next season. I would imagine that he'll be unavailable until then.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 21:48

EWT Spoons wrote:Worst kept secret, but good news for Glasgow.  I was thinking to myself the other day, if only Glasgow had another international standard centre, the poor lads are really short of quality in the backs.

Edinburgh are rumoured to be on the hunt for Duncan Weir's long lost brother, apparently he's not as good as meatball, but he could maybe do a job for an under 12 3rds team.
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 21:53

EWT Spoons wrote:

the tweet from glasgow say he's signed a two year deal from next season.  I would imagine that he'll be unavailable until then.

That's my question though - by 'next season' do they mean say July, meaning that they've had to buy out a few months of his contract?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 22:05

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

the tweet from glasgow say he's signed a two year deal from next season.  I would imagine that he'll be unavailable until then.

That's my question though - by 'next season' do they mean say July, meaning that they've had to buy out a few months of his contract?

Ah right, in which case, I've no idea.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 22:15

Good news on Jones but Bennett is now gone. Is Vernon?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 22:19

Hazel Sapling wrote:Good news on Jones but Bennett is now gone. Is Vernon?
Tough one. 

Whom do you keep out of those two?

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Mark_b10 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Donkey10

Deity               Vernon
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 22:52

demosthenes wrote:Sunday Times has SRU 'lining up' a move to Edinburgh for Mark Bennett, on the back of the arrival of Huw Jones at Glasgow.

Obviously this has been talked about on here before, but I think it's the first time I have seen it in the press.  And isn't Mark Palmer, the ST journo, reasonably well informed?

It seems an odd way to treat one of Glasgow's biggest talents, teasing him with the chance to work under Dave Rennie then deciding instead to shunt him down the road to work under Duncan Hodge (and stand outside Duncan Weir).

Presumably the conversation went something like this:

'Mark, we're building a really strong group for next year to work under the master Dave Rennie. We'd really like you to stay on and keep developing here..... NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT!! Off to Edinburgh with you boy!!'

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 6 Feb 2017 - 23:29

Things are looking up in the West, I think Jones and Bennett are pretty similar albeit the messiah has been a bit subdued this year, perhaps a move to the Falcons/somewhere in France might be best, a la Matt Scott.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 0:32

Bennett has been inconsistent since the World Cup when I think he was the best European 13 by quite some distance. He was clearly put into the 7s to try to reinvigorate him a la Hogg in the commonwealths but whereas Hogg's Scotland place was never under serious threat Bennett had Taylor and Jones to compete with as well as horne, Dunbar and Scott indirectly.

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 3:35

George Carlin wrote:
Tough one. 

Whom do you keep out of those two?

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Mark_b10 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XV Men Chasing An Egg?! - Page 2 Donkey10

Deity               Vernon
Very tough. One of them is making waffles, and I'm currently hungry.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 20:18

More signing news from Glasgow coming up this morning. Next years squad starting to take shape now. So far am liking what I am seeing.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 20:19

BigGee wrote:More signing news from Glasgow coming up this morning. Next years squad starting to take shape now. So far am liking what I am seeing.

Given that you're signing every Scottish centre on the planet, Duncan Taylor??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 20:24

RDW_Scotland wrote:
BigGee wrote:More signing news from Glasgow coming up this morning. Next years squad starting to take shape now. So far am liking what I am seeing.

Matt Scott?

Nick De Luca?

Marcus Di Rollo?

Brendan Laney?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 20:48

I'll settle for Adam Hastings, though it could more likely be Peter Horne re=signing (which has been predicted).

I'll be happy with either.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 21:56

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Johnson signs up for another two years, and Grigg for another year. I'm absolutely delighted for them - I spoke to both after the match at Welford Road and they were just so positive about Glasgow as a club and a city. Nick Grigg was particularly proud of his Ayrshire roots, and was desperate to make the step up to the national team if possible. Lovely blokes.

Pretty clear that Bennett's going - that was the last piece in the puzzle.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 22:19

Rumours are that Favaro is going. Canes openside lined up to replace him? What about Hardie?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 22:34

Confirmed? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38892146

http://www.hurricanes.co.nz/the-canes/players-a-z/squad/callum/

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 22:39

You know that thing in Tetris when you accidentally drop a long piece right in the middle, and everything piles on top of it at ever-increasing speed?

Yeah, that.

In the space of a week, there has been a pretty amazing level of turnaround in Glasgow's 2017-18 squad, and I can't help worrying that it'll destabilise us going in a rather big match in April. Then again, Matawalu and DTH played some of their best stuff in their final games, so maybe we can ride this out.

Last edited by IanBru on Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 22:47; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 22:47

Does there seem any chance that Hugh Blake will be returning to either Glasgow or Edinburgh?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 22:51

Fuvaro has become a Glasgow favourite but he's not reliable in terms of fitness.

This Kiwi 7 is supposedly the fittest player in their squad and won't be away during international breaks - he could be a great signing. If Rennie is bringing him over he obviously rates him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 23:01

Rennie gave him his debut and he has played under the new attack coach. Favaro is a key player but injury prone along with Fusaro. Probably decided they need a starting 7 who can play 15-20 games a season (admittedly Favaro managed 19 games last season but did not play for Italy and that makes a big difference).

Blake has gotten injured at the wrong time and may be gone. He has been poorly treated.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 23:02

IanBru wrote:You know that thing in Tetris when you accidentally drop a long piece right in the middle, and everything piles on top of it at ever-increasing speed?

Yeah, that.

In the space of a week, there has been a pretty amazing level of turnaround in Glasgow's 2017-18 squad, and I can't help worrying that it'll destabilise us going in a rather big match in April. Then again, Matawalu and DTH played some of their best stuff in their final games, so maybe we can ride this out.

I know what you mean. I'm actually not too worried about the effect on the Sarries game, but I am concerned that we're losing a lot of experience with Strauss, Favaro, Puafisi and Grant heading off. Bennett and Lamont are also pretty experienced guys, who we'll miss next season.

When you look at the team that could be put out against the Scarlets, its clear we're missing experience and bench cover:

15. Murchie
14. Bulumakau
13. Grigg
12. Johnson
11. Jones
10. Clegg
9. Pyrgos

1. Allan
2. MacArthur
3. Rae
4. Alainu'uese
5. Cummings
6. Harley
7. Fusaro
8. Ashe

16. Flynn (Malcolm)
17. Sears-Duru (Bhatti)
18. Puafisi (Nicol)
19. Hunter-Hill (McAlpine)
20. Wynne (Smith)
21. Hart (Kenatale - or G. Horne?)
22. Thomson (Schulte)
23. Vernon / Hughes / Lamont

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 23:22

We will all be a bit gutted to see Simone go, he really is a fans favourite but I can understand why. The way he plays, injuries seem to be catching up with him already, he has not been able to string more than a couple of games together this season and it is hard to see that getting better as he gets older.

As someone already said, the difference last year was he did not play for Italy and he made a huge difference in the international windows. We are not getting that this year and playing on two fronts seems to be taking even more out of him.

He will be in demand and should get a good contract somewhere. He should really try and maximise this one as it is hard to see him having a long career.

No sentimentality in professional sport I'm afraid.

The other two signings are good as well, both players developing nicely. Johnson will eventually become SQ as well in time. I fancy that they will bring Paddy Kelly up from the academy as well, who was a very good U20 and has impressed at LS this year. I think he is back with Glasgow again at the moment to cover the international window.

That just leaves Bennett, Horne and Vernon of the other centres. Horne is rumoured to have already signed and hard to see them offering RV anything until he starts playing a few games. He is fit again now, so expect to see him this weekend, on the bench at least.

It really does seem that MB is going to be the one to miss out though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 7 Feb 2017 - 23:32

On NSQ centres becoming SQ, Phil Burleigh will become SQ in time for the AIs and is with Edinburgh until 2018.

I can't see him knocking on the door for selection any time soon given our strength in depth there, but he's been a good signing for Edinburgh - one of the few Edinburgh backs of recent years to come away with any credit!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 0:15

Hazel Sapling wrote:Rennie gave him his debut and he has played under the new attack coach. Favaro is a key player but injury prone along with Fusaro. Probably decided they need a starting 7 who can play 15-20 games a season (admittedly Favaro managed 19 games last season but did not play for Italy and that makes a big difference).

Blake has gotten injured at the wrong time and may be gone. He has been poorly treated.

The SRU have persisted with Ryan Wilson (through indifferent playing form & off field issues) to the extent he now seems to be a shoe-in for Scotland, surely they should afford Blake the same courtesy, especially as they've never really given him a decent run of games.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 0:33

IanBru wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Johnson signs up for another two years, and Grigg for another year. I'm absolutely delighted for them - I spoke to both after the match at Welford Road and they were just so positive about Glasgow as a club and a city. Nick Grigg was particularly proud of his Ayrshire roots, and was desperate to make the step up to the national team if possible. Lovely blokes.

Pretty clear that Bennett's going - that was the last piece in the puzzle.

I also bumped into them, just before I Shrekked Gordon Reid. They bot looked somewhat non-plussed at being harangued by a drunk who just wanted to tell them , at length, that they are smashing lads and should never ever consider playing for any other side. So, I'll gladly take credit for their re-signing.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 1:16

RE: Blake, I hope he gets another shot at playing in Scotland at club level, he is obviously talented. I'd go as far to say it was a mistake to not have him in the Scotland squad for the RWC. Fingers crossed he will be back again soon to compete for the jersey.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 1:20

Breaking news:

Glasgow Warriors have announced that Johnson and Grigg are staying with the Scotstoun side. We caught up with both players and asked them what the major factor was in their decision to stay. Was it the prospect of working with Rennie? Was it the thought of playing European rugby? Apparently not as Nick Grigg explained;

"Aye some drunk boy spoke to us after the Leicester game and said he'd break our legs if we went to another club"

When asked why two professional athletes were scared by the threats of an inebriated soap dodger, Johnson quickly said

"Well he'd just called Gordon Reid Shrek to his face, so he must be some kind of total hard nut"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 1:33

tigertattie wrote:Breaking news:

Glasgow Warriors have announced that Johnson and Grigg are staying with the Scotstoun side. We caught up with both players and asked them what the major factor was in their decision to stay. Was it the prospect of working with Rennie? Was it the thought of playing European rugby? Apparently not as Nick Grigg explained;

"Aye some drunk boy spoke to us after the Leicester game and said he'd break our legs if we went to another club"

When asked why two professional athletes were scared by the threats of an inebriated soap dodger, Johnson quickly said

"Well he'd just called Gordon Reid Shrek to his face, so he must be some kind of total hard nut"
Laugh clap

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 2:09

Oh my, that's just outstanding! Laugh
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 2:28

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Tiger, I owe you a Ale for that. Either that or a broken leg, who knows?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 2:34

how bout I buy the pint and you don't break my leg?

It's that or I get "Honners" from Gordie!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 6:06

Ah yes, haunners! haven't heard that since Third Year Very Happy

Ale on me, but "In a thin glass"

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 20:25

Ahhh its "Haunners"!

We can do it in the style of a WWE tag team match! Ladders and tables are allowed but no chairs coz I'd just use it for a wee sit down!

You can have Dan Parks as your tag team partner

Britney Spears is the special guest referee!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 22:26

Sutherland has signed a new 2 year deal with Edinburgh. Good news, he showed before this injury that he's a quality player and delighted we're going to have him for another couple of years

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 22:30

Natahan Fowles too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 22:36

RDW_Scotland wrote:Natahan Fowles too.

waste of money. Not a good player and a prize muppet to boot!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 22:37

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Natahan Fowles too.

waste of money. Not a good player and a prize muppet to boot!

Bit harsh - for a 3rd choice scrum half (who is also SQ) he is pretty good.

Also if we got rid of all 9s that are ar$eholes then we'd have none left - it is part of the job description!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 23:00

I do agree though that Fowles does seem an odd one. I have no issue with him, but I would say he's behind Kennedy and SHC currently, and neither of them are looking like they'll be challenging for a Scotland shirt any time soon, so unlikely to be missing during International windows.

Would have rathered we had a youngster as the 3rd choice, but as I say no real issue with Fowles.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 23:41

I think 3 SQ scrum halfs at Edinburgh all in their low to mid 20s is fine - I'm assuming Glasgow will be getting rid of not-Matawalu and Hart so one of our young 9s (like George Horne) will be better off there.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 9 Feb 2017 - 0:42

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think 3 SQ scrum halfs at Edinburgh all in their low to mid 20s is fine - I'm assuming Glasgow will be getting rid of not-Matawalu and Hart so one of our young 9s (like George Horne) will be better off there.

I hadn't realised Fowles is only 23. Fair enough then, I'm still not convinced he's going to get any better than just being average, but as a 3rd choice he's a decent option and he could easily go on to prove me wrong.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next