The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predictions For AJ vs Wlad

+37
compelling and rich
JabMachineMK2
LivinginItaly
LeinsterFan4life
temporary21
Jermaine2015
qc2
eirebilly
Baby faced assassin
Happytravelling
Herman Jaeger
Eyetoldyouso
milkyboy
spencerclarke
rapidringsroad
Steffan
mobilemaster8
Rodney
TRUSSMAN66
huw
owen10ozzy
catchweight
hazharrison
3fingers
hogey
kingraf
Fernando
ShahenshahG
Scottrf
Hammersmith harrier
Guest82
AdamT
horizontalhero
EX7EY
BoxingFan88
Derbymanc
Mr Bounce
41 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Predictions For AJ vs Wlad  - Page 2 Empty Predictions For AJ vs Wlad

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 27 Apr 2017, 12:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Come on then - it's time to throw in your best guess for Saturday's big fight.

Being British I have to go with Joshua as I think Wlad will struggle with his power, size and his inability to impose his will as he used to when champion could have a profound effect.

Having eaten a fair few jabs and had a shaky moment, AJ poleaxes and finishes Wlad somewhere around the 7th round. Wlad realises he has not much left to prove and retires from boxing shortly after as it's a young man's game.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Predictions For AJ vs Wlad  - Page 2 Empty Re: Predictions For AJ vs Wlad

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:17 pm

He become even more defensively astute since Sanders. If it only takes speed and straight lines, Surely someone could of done it in recent years?

I understand it's not a golden era, but I'm certain there have been more talented fighters Than Sanders?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:25 pm

Watched the Sanders fight there again? How is he not different?

Sanders was quick and caught him, but Wlad definitely became harder to hit under Manny. His chin was in the air vs Sanders. Obviously the moves similar, because he is the same person, but come on. He was stalking Sanders and wasn't patient with his attack. A more experienced Wlad would of kept the centre if the ring and kept Sanders unbalanced with the jab all night long.

Sanders also had only fought 3 rounds in 3 years. Did he maybe overlook Corrie slightly?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:39 pm

Joshua is probably the most dangerous puncher klitschko has faced in a long time but lets get it right, its joshua making the step up here. Hes the guy with something to prove. Klitschko has had his career. We know what hes about. Joshua's biggest test has been whyte.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:59 pm

EX7EY wrote:This is what a lot of it comes down to for me, I just don't think AJ is that good a boxer. Not saying he's talentless, don't get me wrong. He's decent with devastating power, in my humble opinion. I think at world level it's not enough. The good news for AJ is the division is fairly weak, so the attributes he does posses are adequate. But I just think if WK has something left anywhere near his best then AJ may come unstuck.

The division is a bit open to interpretation right now isn't it. Fury was regarded as a real useless bum by nearly everybody yet he became the undefeated, unified heavyweight champion of the world. So IMo it's so hard to tell how good any of the top heavies actually are at the moment.

As Rodney has alluded to above, what is AJ's plan B? Does he even have a plan B? If he spends the first 4 rounds unloading and Wlad is still in there then what does he do? Can he go 12 rounds if necessary? i don't think he can. i think if it goes past 8 and AJ's spent a lot of energy trying to blast Wlad out then he could be in serious trouble. He's not outboxing Wlad in my opinion, unless Wlad doesnt throw punches again which i just dont see being the case.

Looking forward to finding out how it unfolds.

I'm not convinced that Wlad has a plan B either. What he does, he does well, but he's not exactly multifaceted. Didn't show much tactical nous against Fury. Amazing what 18 months out does for your reputation- he's now a masterful boxer and legend- a couple of years ago he was jab and grab merchant with a glass chin!

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 28 Apr 2017, 2:07 pm

I predict that Wlad will win by a late TKO

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Apr 2017, 5:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How can Wlad win on points?

He threw 17 punches a round against Fury and this fight is in the UK.

He'll be facing a stationary target with little to no upper body movement. He'll be extremely wary of AJ's power, but he'll throw and land more than he did against Fury. Convinced of that.

He's the guy coming in with a plan. AJ is coming to be AJ. How many unbeaten punchers have we seen over the decades who felt they just needed to keep doing what they were doing to win (while the other guy comes up with a plan tailored to beat them)?

I think it goes the distance. Going for AJ, but wouldn't be surprised to see Wlad nicking it.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 5:11 pm

Hope you're right......Personally however...Don't think a 41 year old can sustain a decent pace over 12 and I don't think a 41 year old can change.....

Wlad for me can only fight one way......Straight line mauling......Fairplay it was enough for ten years.

Joshua like Sanders isn't a stiff.......

Wouldn't bet against Wlad freezing either.........Didn't seem willing to get within punching range against Fury....History shows...Fighters don't get braver with age.

Can see another Lewis v Golota....But like I said let us hope you're right.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Apr 2017, 6:28 pm

I can see Wlad making a show of himself at times (when he panics, after an opponent manages to clock him, he looks like he's about to cry) but he'll be jabbing and grabbing the hell out of AJ to try and survive the early rounds. After that, it could settle down into a pure fencing match.

For only the second time in his career, though, he won't be able to bully the other man. Nice to see him having to fight away, too. The Klitschos in Germany were control freaks, from the pressers, to the wraps, to the spongy ring.....etc etc.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr 2017, 6:41 pm

I think Wlad looks so relaxed. Maybe too relaxed.

He had more of an edge to him in other big fights, especially the Haye fight.

Is he super confident? Or is it because the pressure isn't on him. He's been expected to win for so long. It's tough being at the top, different weight of expectation.

I'm still leaning to Joshua, but Wlads confidence looks very real. Has he seen, or heard of major weaknesses?

We all know Wlads Weaknesses. We have seen him lose/struggle before. Big step up in class for Anthony.

This won't be Ali/Frazier, but it's an intriguing match up and I am looking forward.

If you aren't a fan of this fight, you're following the wrong sport. Heavyweight scene is coming alive and Joshua has a chance to really put his stamp on the division.

Roll on Saturday night!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 28 Apr 2017, 7:50 pm

Suprised no one has spoken about the weigh in today....

A massive difference in weight...10lbs...and Joshua coming in at a career heaviest. What do people make of that? One would think its a calculated move to nullify any strength that Wlad may have on the inside thus limit the amount of holding he can do. However with questions already surrounding his stamina...thats a lot of additional muscle to carry around for 12 rounds.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Apr 2017, 7:55 pm

In the weigh in both fighters looked physically good.  Joshua is the heavier by 10 lb and has a one inch reach advantage.  Looking at recent work outs, Joshua looks far quicker and springier than Klitschko.  I think Joshua has all the attributes to beat Klitschko the only uncertainty is how good Joshua's chin and defence is - he hasn't shown much head movement in his previous fights.   There is also the gulf in experience between the two - Klitschko's 358 rounds to Joshua's 44 rounds.  So if Klitschko spots a weakness he should be able to exploit it.   One final observation - in Joshua's last interview with Steve Bunce, he seems to have a puffy left brow, which makes me think Klitschko could try to target that area for a cut stoppage.

Just seen Owen's comment above mine. Given Klitschko's slimmed down weight (5 lb less than for the Fury fight) maybe he is hoping to drag the fight out to the later rounds so that he can test Joshua's stamina and chin - assuming he himself isn't tagged early on by Joshua.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr 2017, 9:00 pm

I change my prediction. Wlad late stoppage.

Joshua too muscle bound to last 12. If he doesn't get rid of him in 6, I think he's f..ked.

I forgot how much muscle AJ has. It's been an advantage his whole career, but not now.

Wlad is dragging this to the second half, then knocking Aj out.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 9:25 pm

I'm going with wlad

Hope AJ knocks his block off though!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:49 pm

Like Lewis the Klitschko brothers were different fighters when Manny Stewart started training them and I'm pretty sure Sanders would have been in a different fight when Manny was in charge.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Apr 2017, 11:12 pm

Fury switched tactics a lot against Wlad,changing stances depending on how offensive his opponent was being.I can't see Joshua fighting such an intelligent fight.He's a fighter not a thinker. Whilst I think that Wlad has always been a vulnerable champion as pointed out above,I like him for this fight.He's radiating confidence and AJ is still too much of an unknown quantity for me to back him over twelve rounds against such a wily operator.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 29 Apr 2017, 7:30 am

Joshua on points for me.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Apr 2017, 9:31 am

Joshua on points would surprise me. He won't outbox Wlad, hasn't got the skillset. He's just purely looking to bang Wlad out early. He's the heaviest he's ever been & he's been blowing in the past by about the fourth or fifth rounds, so if Wlad survives, then fully expect Wlad to take AJ out late on.

It's either a complete mis-match & AJ wins very early or it's Wlad winning late on, going into territory AJ has never been too & his muscle mass won't allow him too.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 29 Apr 2017, 11:49 am

andygf wrote:Fury switched tactics a lot against Wlad,changing stances depending on how offensive his opponent was being.I can't see Joshua fighting such an intelligent fight.He's a fighter not a thinker. Whilst I think that Wlad has always been a vulnerable champion as pointed out above,I like him for this fight.He's radiating confidence and AJ is still too much of an unknown quantity for me to back him over twelve rounds against such a wily operator.

Joshua boxed the Molina fight as a southpaw didn't he? I think AJ will box rather than fight. And he'll nick a decision.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 29 Apr 2017, 11:50 am

Just John wrote:
It's either a complete mis-match & AJ wins very early or it's Wlad winning late on, going into territory AJ has never been too & his muscle mass won't allow him too.

Wlad isn't exactly known for outlasting opponents and is fairly muscle bound himself so at 41 years of age I highly doubt he'll be the one to last the pace.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:40 pm

AdamT wrote:He become even more defensively astute since Sanders. If it only takes speed and straight lines, Surely someone could of done it in recent years?

I understand it's not a golden era, but I'm certain there have been more talented fighters Than Sanders?

I could lose to a quality opponent at Pool.. Tennis...Any sport you name and then spend ten years beating average opponents...

Where is the proof I can beat the quality opponent ??....Or I have improved?

I think Jones jr always beats Hopkins convincingly...Trinidad and Oscar don't prepare anyone for Roy..

He got his Brother to sort Corrie out so maybe Wlad will agree with me.

The last Heavyweight that punched at a decent speed and straight destroyed him because he fights in straight lines and doesn't move his head...and he is still doing it now.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:47 pm

Sure what's it matte to you.

You won't be watching anyway.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:49 pm

No result here would surprise me. Question marks over both... Joshua's jack of top flight opponents and we know he can be hurt. Wlad, looked slow and ponderous against fury. Was it just a style nightmare or a sign of decline... looked a bit of both to me... but hard to say... now add 18 months onto that.

It's a good sign to see WK come in lighter, but does he really still have it. Most recent eye tests suggest Joshua looks faster more fluent and is prepared to throw in bunches which might be an antidote to wlad's measured approach. Little in size or reach to differentiate them, so can wlad control range with his jab?

More questions than answers for me, but in my years of watching boxing the passing of the torch happens more frequently than the romantic rolling back of the years.

AJ in 6 for me, but not a fight I'd bet on.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Apr 2017, 1:18 pm

Rodney wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Complete mismatch.....Won't be watching it...

Two rounds at the most....Watched Sanders the other night and Wlad was completely inept against a sharp straight puncher he couldn't maul in a straight line.

Never beaten anyone really since..That believed anyway.

Wlad was a one dimensional fighter reigning in the worst time in Heavy history.

Add in he is 41 and threw 17 punches a round against the unproven Fury.

It doesn't promise much.....But the eternal optimists have every right to believe.

Miracles happen....But not here in my humble opinion.

Hope you enjoy the evening though.. thumbsup

Rodney runs to the bookies and puts the lot on Wlad.

Heard this certainty before from you Truss, Hatton v Pacquaio anyone

Cheers

Zoomy used to enjoy reminding me of that one too..

I was on the wrong side of Nelson v Gomez..Bramble v Rosario and Biggs v Tyson too.... My brother said he enjoyed spending my pocket money.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 29 Apr 2017, 3:06 pm

Don't forget Khan v Canelo.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 29 Apr 2017, 5:27 pm

I think it will be a cagey start. Then could go anyway after that. Fingers crossed it's a good one.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Sat 29 Apr 2017, 5:46 pm

Unless there is some sort of miraculous intervention like a torn Achilles' tendon, AJ wins in 5 or less.
As has been said repeatedly, Wlad is 41, inactive for a long time & not been much good for ages. I agree 100% with Truss.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 29 Apr 2017, 6:17 pm

Wlad needs to weather the storm and start chiselling away from around the fifth take a closer look at Joshua's stamina Joshua needs to drop the bombs early and batter his man sitting on the fence this time both carry their power late two big hitters two not such great chins just about anything could happen surely someone's going down for keeps I think the younger man is more explosive

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 29 Apr 2017, 7:04 pm

I like AJ a lot. But 250lbs is pretty big for a guy who's never been in troubled waters. I'm not convinced he knocks Wlad out early, and the later the fight goes... I hope he wins though.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 29 Apr 2017, 7:31 pm

Well..sat ringside its safe to say that this is very very dissapointing thus far. A shambles of an undercard...two blow outs effectively...only Luke Campbell and Scott Quigg (against a nobody) left to come...and the stadium is barely a quarter full.

Tells you everything about the casual and knowledgable's views on value for money that they cant even be bothered to arrive early for a couple of fights before the main event. On the plus side...Evander Holyfield & Lennox Lewis are around 6 rows from me and dont look to heavly flanked by security so the cheeky autograph request is on!!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:07 pm

Shocked the Campbell fight on so early. I assume to try get them in. Missed most of it. But Luke looked good.

Perez quit. A bit disappointing really

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:23 pm

Quigg is the chief supporting fight on the undercard right?

At this rate Joshua will be on about 9ish....surely that's not right
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:26 pm

yep, fight must start before 10pm, everything being done earlier than usual. expect to be about 9:45

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:27 pm

Campbell gets eaten alive by Jorge Linares...levels in boxing and Luke is somewhere between Crolla and Linares. He has completely shifted away from that quick flashy combination puncher to a more measured defensive fighter.

Out of interest..anyone watching on the box, whats the commentary/insight like tonight? Bellew is predominately doing the talking from what i can see but is that coming across? I did notice creepy is on the commentary yet again...they have Malignaggi here tonight and they still insist on sticking that muppet behind the mic

Baby faced - around 9pm finish for this fight..then your looking at 45 mins of build before we get brief analysis from Nelson etc...then ring walks...national anthems..Buffer and introductions..so about 10.15/10.30 fight time id imagine

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:36 pm

Quigg looks like he'd get destroyed by the top guys in this division in my opinion. Looks wild tonight

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:39 pm

Quigg sadly looking basic. New trainer isn't the be all.

Enjoyable fight though.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:41 pm

Do the crowd not realise there is a cracking fight on display/

Definitely enjoying it!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm

Yeah very good to watch this. Quigg getting on top now.

Atmosphere isn't that great yet is it?

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:45 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Well..sat ringside its safe to say that this is very very dissapointing thus far. A shambles of an undercard...two blow outs effectively...only Luke Campbell and Scott Quigg (against a nobody) left to come...and the stadium is barely a quarter full.

Tells you everything about the casual and knowledgable's views on value for money that they cant even be bothered to arrive early for a couple of fights before the main event. On the plus side...Evander Holyfield & Lennox Lewis are around 6 rows from me and dont look to heavly flanked by security so the cheeky autograph request is on!!

With 90,000 and 600,000 + PPV.....Hearn can only afford Quigg as chief undercard...........

Yet.................15,000 in the Caesars car park got you legendary cards like......

Hagler v Mugabi
Hearns v Shuler
Sandoval v Canizales................................In 1986.......

Go figure ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:50 pm

The average ticket price for this is believed to be around £110!!! Given around 80000 havent turned up until the last 45 mins or so it perplexes me as to how anyone can see it as value for money.

Hearn is laughing all the way to the bank!! In terms of the tv slots...this has been a 5 fight card over 5hrs...with 4 fights being European level at best fights! Disgraceful!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:53 pm

Massive money for Matchroom. To be fair with only Quigg on support, the bulks going to the two big guys. Apparently Aj is to earn 15mill. I wouldn't be surprised if both earn twenty plus.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:57 pm

Firstly, not a boxing expert (far from it) but watching the fight from home.

Wife has just asked a question, what is the padding at the top of the boxing shorts for, if it is even padding. Can one of ye boxing lads let us know?

Sorry for sounding stupid thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 29 Apr 2017, 8:58 pm

As Oz says, a bit odd to spend so much and only come to watch the main event.

Given how quick it was to sell out, I'm actually relatively pleased with the two supports. Much better than they could have been.

Truss, you know I love you but your example is wrong.

You talk about undercard and then list main events.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Apr 2017, 9:03 pm

Happytravelling wrote:As Oz says, a bit odd to spend so much and only come to watch the main event.

Given how quick it was to sell out, I'm actually relatively pleased with the two supports. Much better than they could have been.

Truss, you know I love you but your example is wrong.

You talk about undercard and then list main events.

Those three main events were on the same card......15,000 at Caesars...March 86.

You know I love you too........No tongues !! raspberry

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 29 Apr 2017, 9:05 pm

I know you don't mean that!

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 29 Apr 2017, 9:12 pm

Sorry truss. You're right.

Not concentrating trying to read and watch at the same time.

Lucky I'm sat down!

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 29 Apr 2017, 9:14 pm

What it lacked in finesse, it gained in heart and work rate.

Incredibly work rate from both parties. But Simion's face said it all.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 29 Apr 2017, 9:29 pm

Not sure if that was a p:^s take but i'd rather make me self look gullible than not help yous out. The padding is the waist band of the crotch protector.

Right, so my real reason for posting..

I'm at flamingoland with the kids and need to walk up to the sports bar when the fight starts, does anyone know what time the ring walk is?

Thank you

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 29 Apr 2017, 9:33 pm

3fingers wrote:Not sure if that was a p:^s take  but i'd rather make me self look gullible than not help yous out. The padding is the waist band of the crotch protector.

Right, so my real reason for posting..

I'm at flamingoland with the kids and need to walk up to the sports bar when the fight starts, does anyone know what time the ring walk is?

Thank you

Was not a pish take and thanks for answering, seriously did not know.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by qc2 Sat 29 Apr 2017, 9:34 pm

what happened to the okolie fight???

qc2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Apr 2017, 10:01 pm

Joshua's progress has been exponential since turning professional. Now he is facing Klitschko to retain his own belt and for the WBA title. I wish him and Klitschko good luck for the fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next