The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

+42
Welly
21st Century Schizoid Man
reallybored
Margin_Walker
sensisball
mikey_dragon
whocares
des
demosthenes
St John The Enforcer
R!skysports
Manky-Flanker
Mad for Chelsea
Eejit
TJ
Scottish White Line Fever
LordDowlais
Tattie Scones RRN
RossAnderson
Scottrf
Majestic83
nickj
cakeordeath
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Ozzy3213
MacKnocked-on
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
EST
BigGee
profitius
Anglobraveheart
George Carlin
highland_scot
RDW
RuggerRadge2611
EWT Spoons
tigertattie
IanBru
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
46 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 11 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 19 May 2017, 9:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 11 P12-gl10

Glasgow Warriors & Edinburgh

The Histories:

Guiness Pro 12
Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow Warriors

Edinburgh Rugby Highlights 2016/2017 vomit
Glasgow Warriors Pro 12 Highlights 2016/2017  Sorry

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 25 Jul 2017, 11:19 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
jimbopip wrote:"Matangi Tonga Online"   has carried this story,

Ikale Tahi prop Siosiua Halanukonuka has signed with Scottish Rugby Club, the Glasgow Warriors. Notable players in the current Glasgow Warriors team include former All Black winger Lelia Masaga.
 In the last two years, Halanukonuka has made 14 appearances for the Otago Highlanders, and has six caps representing Tonga. He has played professionally for RC Narbonne in France and the Tasman Makos in New Zealand.

I love the fact that "notable players... include"  Layla Massager  Laugh , bit I suppose your average Tongan wouldn't be too interested in Zander Fagerson or Richie V.

Apparently he's a tight head and dyes his hair blonde. Erm  He's 30 years old. Is that still young in prop years? Or is Glasgow his first step into retirement?

Nicknames? At the moment it's either Debbie Harry or A Boy Named Sue. But it's far too early to be stretching the grey cells.

Well as a prop he's presumably pretty slow, and he dyes his hair blonde so can you not save yourselves the bother of a nickname and just call him Sean Lamont? Run

I was wasted over cross country runs, but Prop's are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 25 Jul 2017, 11:25 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
jimbopip wrote:"Matangi Tonga Online"   has carried this story,

Ikale Tahi prop Siosiua Halanukonuka has signed with Scottish Rugby Club, the Glasgow Warriors. Notable players in the current Glasgow Warriors team include former All Black winger Lelia Masaga.
 In the last two years, Halanukonuka has made 14 appearances for the Otago Highlanders, and has six caps representing Tonga. He has played professionally for RC Narbonne in France and the Tasman Makos in New Zealand.

I love the fact that "notable players... include"  Layla Massager  Laugh , bit I suppose your average Tongan wouldn't be too interested in Zander Fagerson or Richie V.

Apparently he's a tight head and dyes his hair blonde. Erm  He's 30 years old. Is that still young in prop years? Or is Glasgow his first step into retirement?

Nicknames? At the moment it's either Debbie Harry or A Boy Named Sue. But it's far too early to be stretching the grey cells.

Well as a prop he's presumably pretty slow, and he dyes his hair blonde so can you not save yourselves the bother of a nickname and just call him Sean Lamont? Run

I was wasted over cross country runs, but Prop's are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances.

short distances being the distance to the nearest pub...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 25 Jul 2017, 12:08 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Hazel, Allan and Rae may very well be with Scotland during the AI's. Mr  Chinhook may not be, though the new laws do not specifically say which part of the body the hooker must use when "striking for the ball" I'm pretty certain his avant garde use of the chin will be frowned upon. If Fraser Brown is out for any length of time then young Malcolm might be called up too.

On a tangent; I've just had a phone call from Baz the Nippy scrum-half; it seems he so enjoyed Mixing with the rowdy element, especially Bru and the Hagia Sophia, at Twickers this year that he has booked us a hotel for the Murrayfield match! Already? It will fall on me to get the tickets. So, if any of you wonderful people are able to put a couple my way Hug

p.s. I think this (next) year I'll allow FES  to buy us a pre-match snifter.

don't forget though Mr Pip, anyone in the front row is allowed to "strike" for the ball. Tactically speaking, the loosehead prop would probably be the best man for this job.

We could potentially see the game being played with a loosehead prop/hooker type person at 1 then have two "tightheads" at 2 and 3 to hold the whole thing up?

It's an interesting point that - the loosehead prop was banned from hooking the ball back in the 1930s so that the home unions (who set the rules in those days) could abolish NZ's 7-man 2-3-2 scrum (bio-mechanically a 2-3-2 can match a 3-2-3 shove) and thereby ban the Wing Forward (who functioned as fetcher and scrum-feeder in NZ at the time, giving an overlap in the backs vs sides playing an 8-man scrum). Wonder if some bright coach will try and bring it back ...

Yeah we start to get into dangerous grounds when the can of worms can be opened.

It looks like World Rugby are trying to use the scrum as a way to re-start the game rather than as a weapon to gain penalties. We could very well see 6 man scrums coming into things unless there are set rules on how a scrum is formed!

One thing though is that if this is the route World Rugby want to go down, you'll see forwards moving away from being big lumps to working on their mobility. Some say this is getting close to Rugby League!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:23 pm

Or do what Camille Chat did and become the under 12 kick boxing champion of your country before switching to rugby union, whilst still maintaining the ability to use your hips fully!

It was Chat's strike against the head at the end of the T14 final with Toulon that earned a penalty thus sealing a thrilling victory at the  Camp Neu in June  2015.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Jul 2017, 8:12 am

This is a bit strange...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/first-players-in-scottish-rugby-nice-exchange-revealed-1-4513746

Sounds like a retirement home for ex-Glasgow players!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:09 am

What a bizarre choice of club http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/17/07/25/scottish-rugby-creates-performance-links-stade-nicois. Pleasant spot though

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:21 am

Anyone else underwhelmed by this week's Game Of Thrones?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:25 am

tigertattie wrote:Anyone else underwhelmed by this week's Game Of Thrones?

I thought it was more exciting than last week (no real spoilers coming up) - what was not to like about the Missendai scene ( Shocked ) and the last 10 minutes was great!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 26 Jul 2017, 10:22 am

I've never understood the unsullied! If you remove a laddies knackers before he is fully grown then doesn't that effect the amount of testosterone the he'll produce meaning he won't be as big and bad a warrior?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 26 Jul 2017, 10:40 am

tigertattie wrote:I've never understood the unsullied! If you remove a laddies knackers before he is fully grown then doesn't that effect the amount of testosterone the he'll produce meaning he won't be as big and bad a warrior?

I don't think they cut off that bit, just the bit he pees with (from what I remember reading in the series). Must have been disappointing for Missendai. The show seems to now have an awful lot of characters with lost tallywackers eh.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:06 am

Edinburgh's pre season friendlies announced - Sale and Newcastle at Meggetland and the Greenyards.

Once again the kick off in Melrose is 6pm, pretty much meaning no one in Edinburgh will actually be able to go to it!  Rolling Eyes

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/07/25/edinburgh-announce-pre-season-fixtures

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:59 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
tigertattie wrote:I've never understood the unsullied! If you remove a laddies knackers before he is fully grown then doesn't that effect the amount of testosterone the he'll produce meaning he won't be as big and bad a warrior?

I don't think they cut off that bit, just the bit he pees with (from what I remember reading in the series). Must have been disappointing for Missendai. The show seems to now have an awful lot of characters with lost tallywackers eh.

That would be silly. Most castration is removing the stones (ask Ian)

An extreme version is to remove the meat and the veg which is what the book claims to have happened but either way, the stones are gone so testosterone would be taken away making for a weedier soldier!

I'm sure Mr Worm must be without the full thing as even if you have your stones taken away (or if you have a vasectomy which is basically castration) your todger still works as it's not the stones that get the blood flowing!

Its these small details that get annoying!

Still, the new season kicks off soon so we can go back to grunting at the rugby and forget such trivial matters!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:17 pm

Ian seems to be glued up on castration, did you all ever see a certain Lagertha do it to a traitor in Vikings?

You're right on the technicalities of testosterone, and I've never read the books so cannot compare.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:20 pm

What on earth have I stumbled into?! Must have the wrong place! Don't mind me. As you were.........

Run

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Ian seems to be glued up onafter castration, did you all ever see a certain Lagertha do it to a traitor in Vikings?

You're right on the technicalities of testosterone, and I've never read the books so cannot compare.

A couple of points here;
it seems that eunuchs (genuine historical ones - not the MFL front five variety) were actually very popular with the laydeez of the harem since being stoneless doesn't prevent erections but does prevent "time based disappointments". Or as Lilly Von Shtoop so memorably sang, "They're alvays coming and going! And going and coming: and always TOO SOON!!!"
Secondly...I won't hear a word said against yon Lagertha. She's beautiful, totally mental in a rammy and she has the word Lager in her name. heart heart heart heart heart

p.s. only one of the above applies to MrsPip heart heart heart heart heart heart

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Jul 2017, 2:53 pm

Holy JC on a Vespa, the rugby season cannot start soon enough...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Jul 2017, 2:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh's pre season friendlies announced - Sale and Newcastle at Meggetland and the Greenyards.

Once again the kick off in Melrose is 6pm, pretty much meaning no one in Edinburgh will actually be able to go to it!  Rolling Eyes

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/07/25/edinburgh-announce-pre-season-fixtures

Neeldess to say the Edinburgh fans (all 6 of them) haven't reacted well on social media. Apparently it is 6pm as there are no floodlights - someone asked the sensible question of why Gala's ground isn't being used instead given A) they have floodlights and B) the SRU are still paying for the pitch thanks to the agreement with the Border Reivers and C) there's a direct train link to Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 26 Jul 2017, 4:35 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh's pre season friendlies announced - Sale and Newcastle at Meggetland and the Greenyards.

Neeldess to say the Edinburgh fans (all 6 of them) haven't reacted well on social media. Apparently it is 6pm as there are no floodlights - someone asked the sensible question of why Gala's ground isn't being used instead given A) they have floodlights and B) the SRU are still paying for the pitch thanks to the agreement with the Border Reivers and C) there's a direct train link to Edinburgh!

Coz the SRU love toffs and Melrose has more toffs per head of population than Gala do!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 26 Jul 2017, 4:35 pm

jimbopip wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Ian seems to be glued up onafter castration, did you all ever see a certain Lagertha do it to a traitor in Vikings?

A couple of points here;
it seems that eunuchs (genuine historical ones - not the MFL front five variety) were actually very popular with the laydeez of the harem since being stoneless doesn't prevent erections but does prevent "time based disappointments". Or as Lilly Von Shtoop so memorably sang, "They're alvays coming and going! And going and coming: and always TOO SOON!!!"
Secondly...I won't hear a word said against yon Lagertha. She's beautiful, totally mental in a rammy and she has the word Lager in her name. heart heart heart heart heart

p.s. only one of the above applies to MrsPip heart heart heart heart heart heart

I reposted this one as I feel it contains some of my best recent work.
There are at least four jokes there that are almost as funny as Tim Visser and Grant Gilchrist comparing tackling techniques.
I would highlight them but the new BOLD button has me baffled. furious

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 11 Empty SRU invest in French club Stade Nicois

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 27 Jul 2017, 7:49 am

An interesting new set-up between the SRU and French club Stade Nicois will see young and old Scottish players play in France.

Youngsters Josh Henderson and Bruce Flockhart, and seasoned pros Pete Murchie, David Cherry and Tyrone Holmes have all been signed up.

Stade Nicois currently play in Federal 2 - the fourth tier of french rugby. They're looking to move up the leagues into the Pro D2 by 2021.

The Hootsmon wrote:The first players in an innovative exchange agreement signed in May by Scottish Rugby and the French fourth tier club Stade Nicois have been revealed. However, Scottish Rugby has refuted claims made on a French website that the scheme could lead to full ownership of the Nice-based club by a Scottish consortium, backed by the governing body, before the start of the season.

Nice president, Patrice Prevot, was reported last week to have said that Scottish Rugby had invested money in the French club, and in return would place several players with them each season. Describing the set-up, Prevot said: “The SRU were looking for partners on the continent. The discussions took 13 months. It’s a long-term arrangement. The Scottish Rugby Union decided to invest as a major partner alongside the Allianz Group which has just extended its partnership for five years. In addition to the financial support, which matches that of Allianz, the SRU will make available young internationals looking to develop, as well as experienced players. The partnership should also make it possible to form links and operate exchanges.”

The first signing under the arrangement was Peter Murchie, the former Glasgow Warriors full back whose contract with the Scotstoun-based side was not renewed at the end of last season. The 31-year-old had spent eight years at the club and during that time earned three Scotland caps.

Others confirmed to be joining Nice are Scottish rugby contracted age group caps Josh Henderson, who will vie with Italian international Luciano Orquero for the stand off berth, and back row Bruce Flockhart – both members of the Glasgow Warriors academy – as well as London Scottish hooker David Cherry, who has spent the past three seasons with the Exiles. Another making the switch is another back rower, Tyrone Holmes, who played for Newcastle Falcons last year after being released by Glasgow Warriors, having earned a Scottish cap against South Africa in 2014.

Nice Rugby has existed in its current form since 2012 and currently operates in Federale Division 2 with a budget of €1.4 million for the coming season. The club’s stated ambition is to reach Pro D2, the fully professional second division, by 2021.

A Scottish Rugby spokesman stated that the ambition of the club to progress through the divisions and the opportunity for players to operate in a different environment were more important than Nice’s current level. He likened the arrangement to existing tie-ups elsewhere, saying, “We are looking to place players into a variety of different environments, at different levels. For younger players it is to broaden their experiences and for those reaching the end of their careers to provide pathways into coaching. In return we can provide opportunities in Scotland for players from other countries. Our arrangement with Stade Nicois is consistent with our recent activity with Western Force in Australia, Western Province in South Africa, Lille and London Scottish.” Women’s international Jade Konkel joined Lille, while Edinburgh lock Lewis Carmichael spent time on loan with Western Force.

Claims in the French media that the terms of the deal will also allow Scotland’s sevens squad to use the facilities in Nice as its training base have also been dismissed as inaccurate by Scottish Rugby which has no plans to change existing arrangements at Oriam and Ravenscraig.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/first-players-in-scottish-rugby-nice-exchange-revealed-1-4513746
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Jul 2017, 8:04 am

Fourth Division in the French League, eh?

Edinburgh should have played them a few times in pre-season to see if they could take a LBP or two out of each fixture.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Jul 2017, 9:25 am

4th tier French Rugby! What level is that over here? I'm going to say national 2! So Murchie et al would be playing the same level of rugby as they would if they were playing for Dundee, Musselburgh or Cartha!

I'm struggling to see where the benefit is here!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Jul 2017, 9:46 am

tigertattie wrote:4th tier French Rugby! What level is that over here? I'm going to say national 2! So Murchie et al would be playing the same level of rugby as they would if they were playing for Dundee, Musselburgh or Cartha!

I'm struggling to see where the benefit is here!

I could be wrong, but I think Murchie and Holmes are going over primarily in a coaching capacity. Not saying I see a huge benefit either way, but I guess they'll experience a different way of doing things.

Would have preferred the money went into the domestic league, but the SRU have in general been making some decent decisions lately, so willing to see how this goes.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Jul 2017, 10:51 am

I just can't see how youngsters like Cherry or Henderson will benefit from playing at that level! It won't benefit them and won't benefit the Scottish game!

Surely to goodness they could at least get games in our premiership? That way they are still here, they could get the occasional call up to the pro teams and our own domestic game will benefit from having a decent caliber of player!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:00 am

To be fair I don't think any of these players or going to get Pro contracts never mind go on to play for Scotland - Dave Cherry is 26 and a bit of a journeyman!

I also don't really see the point of this, and it mainly seems to be a first step on the coaching ladder for Murchie and Homes, but if we're investing little to no money into it then it isn't too big a problem.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:05 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be fair I don't think any of these players or going to get Pro contracts never mind go on to play for Scotland - Dave Cherry is 26 and a bit of a journeyman!

I also don't really see the point of this, and it mainly seems to be a first step on the coaching ladder for Murchie and Homes, but if we're investing little to no money into it then it isn't too big a problem.

Seems an odd replacement for the old relationship with London Scottish

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:13 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be fair I don't think any of these players or going to get Pro contracts never mind go on to play for Scotland - Dave Cherry is 26 and a bit of a journeyman!

Surely no professional rugby players are called Dave Cherry?

Only used car salesmen, plumbers and ballroom dancing instructors.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:15 am

I think it's as well as that relationship rather than instead of.

As long as it's not costing the SRU much, it'll give our coaches and young players a bit of a different experience. Plus they seem like an ambitious side who want to get to the French D2, so if they achieve that goal over the next couple of seasons then we'll have a strong partner to send players to.

At the moment it seems odd, but longer term it might prove sensible.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:22 am

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:An interesting new set-up between the SRU and French club Stade Nicois will see young and old Scottish players play in France.

Youngsters Josh Henderson and Bruce Flockhart, and seasoned pros Pete Murchie, David Cherry and Tyrone Holmes have all been signed up.

Stade Nicois currently play in Federal 2 - the fourth tier of french rugby. They're looking to move up the leagues into the Pro D2 by 2021.

The Hootsmon wrote:The first players in an innovative exchange agreement signed in May by Scottish Rugby and the French fourth tier club Stade Nicois have been revealed. However, Scottish Rugby has refuted claims made on a French website that the scheme could lead to full ownership of the Nice-based club by a Scottish consortium, backed by the governing body, before the start of the season.

Nice president, Patrice Prevot, was reported last week to have said that Scottish Rugby had invested money in the French club, and in return would place several players with them each season. Describing the set-up, Prevot said: “The SRU were looking for partners on the continent. The discussions took 13 months. It’s a long-term arrangement. The Scottish Rugby Union decided to invest as a major partner alongside the Allianz Group which has just extended its partnership for five years. In addition to the financial support, which matches that of Allianz, the SRU will make available young internationals looking to develop, as well as experienced players. The partnership should also make it possible to form links and operate exchanges.”

The first signing under the arrangement was Peter Murchie, the former Glasgow Warriors full back whose contract with the Scotstoun-based side was not renewed at the end of last season. The 31-year-old had spent eight years at the club and during that time earned three Scotland caps.

Others confirmed to be joining Nice are Scottish rugby contracted age group caps Josh Henderson, who will vie with Italian international Luciano Orquero for the stand off berth, and back row Bruce Flockhart – both members of the Glasgow Warriors academy – as well as London Scottish hooker David Cherry, who has spent the past three seasons with the Exiles. Another making the switch is another back rower, Tyrone Holmes, who played for Newcastle Falcons last year after being released by Glasgow Warriors, having earned a Scottish cap against South Africa in 2014.

Nice Rugby has existed in its current form since 2012 and currently operates in Federale Division 2 with a budget of €1.4 million for the coming season. The club’s stated ambition is to reach Pro D2, the fully professional second division, by 2021.

A Scottish Rugby spokesman stated that the ambition of the club to progress through the divisions and the opportunity for players to operate in a different environment were more important than Nice’s current level. He likened the arrangement to existing tie-ups elsewhere, saying, “We are looking to place players into a variety of different environments, at different levels. For younger players it is to broaden their experiences and for those reaching the end of their careers to provide pathways into coaching. In return we can provide opportunities in Scotland for players from other countries. Our arrangement with Stade Nicois is consistent with our recent activity with Western Force in Australia, Western Province in South Africa, Lille and London Scottish.” Women’s international Jade Konkel joined Lille, while Edinburgh lock Lewis Carmichael spent time on loan with Western Force.

Claims in the French media that the terms of the deal will also allow Scotland’s sevens squad to use the facilities in Nice as its training base have also been dismissed as inaccurate by Scottish Rugby which has no plans to change existing arrangements at Oriam and Ravenscraig.

I think a link-up with a French side may be no bad thing. Two questions as to why Stade Nicois / a side at this level. First, do the French Federation have any regulations which might restrict imput from 'foreign' unions / organisations at a higher level which might explain why they have not tried a direct link at a higher level; and second, do Stade Nicois have any links with higher level French sides which might be worked through to the advantage of the SRU / the players?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:43 am

I think that we might be over-complicating this:

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 11 Richmo10  Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 11 Nice-f10
       Richmond                          Nice

That's why.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm

At the end of the day, this has nothing to do with knackers being chopped off, ice kings, or the fact that Queen Khalisi hasn't had her baps out for two series!

Lets focus on the bigger picture guys!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:56 pm

tigertattie wrote:At the end of the day, this has nothing to do with knackers being chopped off, ice kings, or the fact that Queen Khalisi hasn't had her baps out for two series!

Do you not remember last season's Dothraki/setting stuff on fire/walking out of the flames scene?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:56 pm

tigertattie wrote:At the end of the day, this has nothing to do with knackers being chopped off, ice kings, or the fact that Queen Khalisi hasn't had her baps out for two series!

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 11 Uncle_11
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Jul 2017, 1:34 pm

Glasgow Warriors have signed Tonga international prop Siosiua Halanukonuka from the Highlanders.

The tight-head, 30, has made six appearances for his country, spending the bulk of his domestic career in New Zealand provincial rugby.

He featured in the Highlanders' June win over the British and Irish Lions.

The Scotstoun club are yet to confirm the signing or contract details of what will be new head coach Dave Rennie's eighth summer recruit.

Halanukonuka follows Huw Jones, Oli Kebble and Brandon Thomson from South Africa's Stormers, Callum Gibbins and Lelia Masaga from New Zealand's Hurricanes and Chiefs respectively, Adam Hastings from Bath and Samuela Vunisa from Saracens.

Meanwhile, Rennie's Super Rugby season will continue for at least one more week as his Chiefs side progressed to the semi-final stages.

With the Hurricanes also reaching the last four, flanker Gibbins will also be delayed further in joining his new club.

The Super Rugby final will be played on 5 August.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

Hooker George Turner will join Glasgow Warriors on a season-long loan.

With four hookers currently under contract at the capital club, Turner will move west to stake a claim for more regular game time and as part of his long-term development.

Further to Turner’s move, Rory Scholes and Viliami Fihaki have left Edinburgh Rugby.

Edinburgh Rugby would like to thank both players for their contribution to the club over the past season.

Sensible decision to move Turner given Brown's injury - no doubt he'll become world class now! No doubt Edinburgh will now have an injury crisis at hooker too.

Shame to see Scholes go as he never really got a chance to impress. Fihaki was always a squad player but his departure leaves us short in the backrow now.

6/8 - Bradbury, Du Preez, Mata, Miller, Ritchie (more of a 7 now)

That won't last the whole season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 27 Jul 2017, 3:33 pm

A bit surprised that Cockers agreed with Turner move considering he seems to rate him and as Ford and Cochrane are not getting any younger, he would be seen as the future.

I guess it is a loan and they could call him back for next season. He seems certain to get some game time at Glasgow though, with Brown being injured and that will be good for him and possibly for Scotland. It is very odd that Edinburgh never used to play him.

The two departees presumably have not impressed Mr C. Scholes could and should have been a much better signing than he has turned out. I wonder what went wrong there and where he goes from here.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 27 Jul 2017, 3:44 pm

you need to watch closer, or has all the previous scenes of fun rendered your eyes as weak as an Edinburgh tackle

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Jul 2017, 3:47 pm

I've lost track of who Glasgow have signed, will Turner go over as first choice until Brown is back from injury?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Jul 2017, 3:48 pm

Hooker wise I think Glasgow only have McArthur, Malcolm and maybe some youngsters - they let Flynn go.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Jul 2017, 3:59 pm

So in theory he's gone over as 2nd/3rd choice?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Jul 2017, 4:03 pm

Pretty much. It does now mean that Edinburgh only have 3 hookers as well, down to 2 during the AIs when Ford is off.

Both clubs looking a bit short!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 27 Jul 2017, 4:03 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:So in theory he's gone over as 2nd/3rd choice?

He may well leapfrog the two of them pretty quickly. McArthur is always probably going to be a little to lightweight for this level and Malcolm did not really push on last year after a promising debut.

Turner looks like he has the tools for the trade, it will be good to see what he can do.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Jul 2017, 4:22 pm

I hope you are right BigGee as it would be pretty unfortunate for him to go over and sit on the bench/stands when arguably he could do the same for Edinburgh. Especially when he could have easily pushed himself up the pecking order to be just behind Ford.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 27 Jul 2017, 5:04 pm

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:So in theory he's gone over as 2nd/3rd choice?

He may well leapfrog the two of them pretty quickly. McArthur is always probably going to be a little to lightweight for this level and Malcolm did not really push on last year after a promising debut.

Turner looks like he has the tools for the trade, it will be good to see what he can do.

Malcolm was injured for the conclusion of last season -  and this season is his first start to a season as a full pro.

It's a season-long loan for Turner. We could be seeing a lot from him, or buggar-all knowing his luck.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 27 Jul 2017, 7:30 pm

Edinburgh do have the ultimate option of sliding Mr K Bryce back into hooker if they are truly short.

Fihaki will be missed as a good squad player, but a young Scots player could come in and fill his role (Aly Miller).

Scholes was a missed opportunity, however if Cockers did not like his attitude then this will send a message. Scholes will clear a decent wage for someone else if Cockers has a guy in mind.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 27 Jul 2017, 7:40 pm

I think I've worked out why the French business happened. Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR) who run Top 14 and D2 will create a third [fully professional] league below Pro D2 in 2021 - the same year Stade Nicois are bidding to go fully professional.

The level of Federal 2 is essentially semi-pro. So in essence, it's similar to the level of our Premiership.

Stade Nicois have to beat a lot of teams in order to progress as there are a sh!t load of rugby clubs that compete in the Federal 1/2 leagues.

The number of teams involved in Federal 1/2 is insane!
Top 14 has 14,
D2 has 16,
Federal 1 has 40 teams. Four pools of ten teams. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fédérale_1 )
Federal 2 is even crazier, it has 8 pools of 12 teams - yes, EIGHT POOLS OF TWELVE TEAMS - in one league ~96 teams. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fédérale_2)

That means Stade Nicois need to be one of the best out of 136 teams from Fed 1&2, in order to make the new Pro D3 by 2021.

No pressure mes amies.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Thu 27 Jul 2017, 9:05 pm

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:I think I've worked out why the French business happened. Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR) who run Top 14 and D2 will create a third [fully professional] league below Pro D2 in 2021 - the same year Stade Nicois are bidding to go fully professional.

The level of Federal 2 is essentially semi-pro. So in essence, it's similar to the level of our Premiership.

Stade Nicois have to beat a lot of teams in order to progress as there are a sh!t load of rugby clubs that compete in the Federal 1/2 leagues.

The number of teams involved in Federal 1/2 is insane!
Top 14 has 14,
D2 has 16,
Federal 1 has 40 teams. Four pools of ten teams. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fédérale_1 )
Federal 2 is even crazier, it has 8 pools of 12 teams - yes, EIGHT POOLS OF TWELVE TEAMS - in one league ~96 teams. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fédérale_2)

That means Stade Nicois need to be one of the best out of 136 teams from Fed 1&2, in order to make the new Pro D3 by 2021.

No pressure mes amies.

Or they have to be one of the best out of those of the 136 willing and able to go fully pro by 2021. Which could be a lot less!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 28 Jul 2017, 9:38 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Edinburgh do have the ultimate option of sliding Mr K Bryce back into hooker if they are truly short.

Fihaki will be missed as a good squad player, but a young Scots player could come in and fill his role (Aly Miller).

Scholes was a missed opportunity, however if Cockers did not like his attitude then this will send a message. Scholes will clear a decent wage for someone else if Cockers has a guy in mind.

Without Scholes I think we have 5 wingers, none of whom are realistically going to be involved with international sides. I would imagine that should be enough to see us through. Granted 3 of the 5 are untested at this level, but I would be surprised if anyone else comes in.

Also what does it say about these players that the squad was announced for the coming season and now these lads are being let go. Cockerill must really not rate them, or they have done something. Or of course the Edinburgh communications department is terrible and made the final squad announcement before it was actually finalised.....that probably seems the most likely given their track record.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 28 Jul 2017, 9:57 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Edinburgh do have the ultimate option of sliding Mr K Bryce back into hooker if they are truly short.

Without Scholes I think we have 5 wingers, none of whom are realistically going to be involved with international sides.  I would imagine that should be enough to see us through.  Granted 3 of the 5 are untested at this level, but I would be surprised if anyone else comes in.

Also what does it say about these players that the squad was announced for the coming season and now these lads are being let go.  Cockerill must really not rate them, or they have done something.  Or of course the Edinburgh communications department is terrible and made the final squad announcement before it was actually finalised.....that probably seems the most likely given their track record.

A good point - the 'confirmed' squad had both Fihaki and Scholes in it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2017, 1:48 pm

S with the Chiefs going out of super rugby this morning, you would imagine that Dave Rennie is currently on Sky Scanner, looking for a flight to Glasgow.

Hopefully he is here for the warm up match. I am a little concerned that we are only having the one though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next