The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good move by the Dragons

+6
manofgwent
Cymroglan
glamorganalun
Adam D
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Impossible Standards
10 posters

Go down

Good move by the Dragons Empty Good move by the Dragons

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/9068433.Future_s_bright_at_new_look_Rodney_Parade/

THE future of top flight rugby at Rodney Parade will be assured with the completion of a new £4m stand and hospitality area in time for the start of the new season in September.

Work is well under way on the major new project which will also incorporate a function suite for 300, a new shop, 13 hospitality boxes, a premier members’ lounge for 150, education suite and reception area.

The new stand, to be named once a major sponsor or sponsors are obtained, will provide 2,700 seats and will take the ground capacity to 11,000. The Hazell Stand has also been reclad.

And interest in the new development is already high with demand for season tickets well up on this time last year.

“The idea is to enhance the match day experience with a fantastic new state of the art facility,” said Dragons chief executive Mike Jenkins.

“But it has got to pay its way so it needs to be available seven days a week. There are no comparable sites in the centre of Newport available for weddings, seminars, conferences and parties.

“A lot of interest is being shown already and we are taking bookings now for weddings in 2013. We have applied for a wedding licence so people can get married on the halfway line and have their reception on site!”

And on the demand for seasons tickets Jenkins said: “We haven’t sent out renewal packs yet but we are already way ahead of last year (when they sold 2,000) and prices are being held at those levels.

“We are running advertising campaigns and we are making a series of presentations to people which we want to take out into the community.

“I want to stress that we are eager to get out into the region to sell the whole concept, the match day experience. We also want an 80% occupancy of the facility.

“One initiative we have is that if you are a Newport season ticket holder you get a discount for the Dragons as well, and we want to extend that to our other Premiership clubs Cross Keys, Pontypool and Bedwas.

“The whole rationale behind this is rugby based, to generate income streams which will be reinvested in the rugby organisation like the first team squad and the academy - that’s the message, that’s the future.

“Rodney Parade is the last traditonal rugby ground, it’s in the city centre which none of the other three regional grounds are and there is a vociferous, partisan crowd which will serve and hopefully enhance that.

“Success on the field is, of course, paramount because people won’t come without the product, that’s got to be right.

“Everyone considers Rodney Parare a traditional rugby ground, Warren Gatland says its the best atmosphere of any of the regions, we are enhancing that.”

And the future beyond the completion of the stand and hospitality area?

“We would like to see further development of Rodney Parade with the southern end of the ground, but that would encompass student accommodation, plus a roof on the terrace,” said Jenkins.

But at last the wheel is turning and Rodney Parade could be the envy of the rest of the country on and off the field.

Seems good that the Dragons are thinking a little more outside the box finally. It's a possitive move to start going out to other regions but maybe a little late now. I think though instead of just discounting Dragons season tickets to just Newport ticket holders maybe extend this curtsy to ALL gwent clubs.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Good move by the Dragons Empty Re: Good move by the Dragons

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:51 pm

Good news. To be fair, with the Hazell being spruced up a bit and with the new stand, it is starting to look a very nice ground. Good that the season tickets are being snapped up. Good that they are aware of the other Premiership clubs in the region with regards to the season ticket too.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

Rev, good evening to you in whatever foxhole you are holed up in this fine evening - cold in Afghan? Looking forward to my visit to Dave as part of the LV= tournie OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

Rodney Parade has always had the reputation of a great atmosphere - this should take them to the next level. Lets hope so anyway.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:57 pm

This all sounds like good news to me for the Dragons. Great that they're considering extending discounts to all their feeder clubs, tis something I want the Scarlets to look into doing.

They've got to make the most of their location and the atmosphere they can generate to.

All in all though it's great that they're putting so many good plans in place for the future, tis good to see thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

As, we will not be playing Chiefs will we? I thought Dragons and Chiefs would be against the teams in another pool (Wasps etc). Same All Seasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:07 pm

Argh, Poopie five knuckle shuffle Flip, you are right - Same Auld Song OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:33 pm

Such A Shame though.

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:56 pm

It is about time the Dragons tried to pull in crowds outside of Newport the problem is, it has taken so long, will the crowds come to Newport? The club could arrange organised transport to games as parking in Newport is poor, it may improve as the shopping centre seems to be closing down. There is no point in travelling by train from Cwmcarn as the train goes to Cardiff, maybe the Blues should run a special from Ebbw Vale to watch HC rugby?

I hope the Dragons can ditch the WRU from the club so they can move forward with potential investment but they need to do an Ulster and aim high but with Welsh players not S Africans.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:11 pm

glamorganalun wrote:It is about time the Dragons tried to pull in crowds outside of Newport the problem is, it has taken so long, will the crowds come to Newport? The club could arrange organised transport to games as parking in Newport is poor, it may improve as the shopping centre seems to be closing down. There is no point in travelling by train from Cwmcarn as the train goes to Cardiff, maybe the Blues should run a special from Ebbw Vale to watch HC rugby?

I hope the Dragons can ditch the WRU from the club so they can move forward with potential investment but they need to do an Ulster and aim high but with Welsh players not S Africans.

I would doubt that you know every single fan who attends the Dragons, but there are plenty of people from all over the Region already. It's not hard to get to Newport by bus (especially from your example of Cwmcarn) and parking isn't as bad as you make out either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:20 pm

It does annoy me that I have to pay a stadium parking fee to watch the Blues or any other region club who own the car park when I have already paid £50 for two tickets to enter the stadium.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:02 pm

Cuneiform. Stand around in the car park long enough and someone will hand you 2 free tickets. I've been to the CCS 3 times and never paid to get in. They hand out free tickets for the blues like flyers for nightclubs!
On the dragons. It's the most positive I've felt about the region going into the new season. As for the comment about S. Africans. I think that was Newport and not the dragons who signed them! I know there is talk of possibly bringing in one or two big overseas names, but with Darren Edwards policy, I'm sure that'll be it. I for one am proud that my region regularly start with 15 welsh players, many of whom have come through the academy. It's also good for the national team and that's the whole point.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:14 am

UPDATE -
DRAGONS SIGN UP BISLEY
By Charlotte Moriarty | Friday, 10 June 2011
Newport Gwent Dragons are delighted to announce that the new East Stand will be named the Bisley Stand. Bisley Office Furniture will be the region’s headline sponsor for the coming season.

The company name will be projected to fans and armchair viewers far and wide across Europe as the Dragons challenge for glory in the RaboDirect PRO12, LV=Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup tournaments.

Bisley and the Dragons have enjoyed a long and happy partnership since the launch of regional rugby.

The company was a shirt sponsor of the Men of Gwent last season and this new six-figure sponsorship deal renews the relationship with Bisley owner Tony Brown who re-joined the region’s Board of Directors last season.

“We see this sponsorship of the Newport Gwent Dragons as continued support of our brand awareness,” said Richard Blackwell, Bisley UK Sales & Group Marketing Director, “Bisley has had a major presence in the City of Newport since 1989 and currently employs over 400 local people. Bisley supplies the UK and the rest of the world with steel office storage of which nearly 70% is manufactured at the Newport Plant.”

Dragons Chief Executive Mike Jenkins added “This is a very exciting time for the Dragons and we are delighted that Bisley will be a key part of this next stage in the region’s development.

Tony Brown has been instrumental in enabling the new stand to be built and it is fitting that the title sponsorship of the new stand reflects the strength and importance of the relationship between Bisley, Rodney Parade and the teams who play here”

link - http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/NewsArticle.aspx?n=17418&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BOO Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:54 am

Looking forward to getting my season ticket for the Bisley Stand - any news when the renewal paperwork will come out?
Seems that the Dragons are getting their act together from a commercial point of view. The playing side looks good for next season - though I have not heard anymore about the possible big signings - any news?

BOO

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:58 am

One signing will be announced at the end of June. The player is going to have a thorough physical as he has broken his arm twice in the same place. Depending on the outcome of the physical it will then be announced.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

Anyone know when the Dragons V Russia tickets go on sale ?

And when are the Aviva/Amlin pools anounced ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

Amiln pools are announced next Wednesday (15th).
Not sure when the Russia tickets are on sale but the match is on the 17th Aug so I guess a week or so before that.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

Impossible Standards wrote:Amiln pools are announced next Wednesday (15th).
Not sure when the Russia tickets are on sale but the match is on the 17th Aug so I guess a week or so before that.

Diolch ! Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:33 pm

The Dragons have been getting left behind to be frank. all 3 other regions have moved into new homes. Now finally the Dragons have got a decent stadium too. Secondly they seem to be finally producing a few good kids from their academy to be competitive, and they seem to want to play for the Dragons as well. Thirdly it seems Tony Brown is willing to invest some moola into the region so things look to be going in the right direction. Good luck to them.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:38 pm

Haven't felt this good since I heard the news that we were signing Gary teichmann.
You knew it would have to happen eventually and as soon as Tony brown is linked with the regeneration you actually felt that this thing was beginning to happen.
It's a win win situation for the dragons and the fans as there is no way that £4m is going to be spent on the new project without bringing in a couple of big signings to go along with our excellent crop of young players. No offence to Tom Riley, but he's hardly going to get prospective investors pulses racing.
I can only see one direction now for the dragons and you could really sense at the end of the season the players and the fans knew something was brewing. A year or two ago I was seriously worried about losing the likes of Tovey and lydiate to other regions and would have settled and still will with just being competitive when it comes to affording to keep our talent. I do think a couple of big names who can bring on our youngsters even more would be great, but I'd really like to see Tovey, lydiate, faletau and Hughes remain in their region. I e always thought it criminal that the WRU stand back and do nothing when other regions try and poach talent. I'm just glad Toby and steffan chose the dragons rather than aberavon!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

manofgwent wrote: I e always thought it criminal that the WRU stand back and do nothing when other regions try and poach talent. I'm just glad Toby and steffan chose the dragons rather than aberavon!!!

I agree the Ospreys were sniffing about Steffan and Toby and I thought it was stupid to be honest. We have quite a lot of talented young kids we could be giving a chance to yet we try and take away other regions ones too. Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:32 am

AlynDavies wrote:The Dragons have been getting left behind to be frank. all 3 other regions have moved into new homes. Now finally the Dragons have got a decent stadium too.

Utter tosh. All three other regions have moved into new homes, but what good does it do? It just means more empty seats. Wow, well done. Is your brass band ready to try generating more noise again?

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:50 am

I wouldn't swap Rodney parade with playing at any other regional ground ( even before the redevelopment). The fact that we haven't had the same investment at the dragons seems to have worked fir us. There were talks a few years back of a new state of the art stadium being built on the outskirts of Newport. How relieved I am that that never materialised. We've had to take slow steps, but Rodney parade will be the envy of the other regions and I'm convinced we're going to have a team on the pitch that will also show our progression.
It's happy days for dragons fans and everyone I speak to, can't wait for the season to start!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

Totally agree MOG - Staying at RP & hanging on to the young players were absolutely essential for the future.Both these have been achieved & things appear to be moving foward very quickly now.Really hope the addition of Dylan Matthews as a consultant will lead to a close tie in to the Celtic Manor to further enhance the corporate side of things

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Utter tosh. All three other regions have moved into new homes, but what good does it do? It just means more empty seats. Wow, well done. Is your brass band ready to try generating more noise again?

Id much rather see teams in new more modern stadiums with better facilities and comfort for fans. The new stadiums we have for our welsh regions are far superiour compared to the old falling down wrecks we used to have. St Helens is a shed so is the Gnoll, the Liberty is far superious. Lets not even bother talking about Cardiff Arms park, that place should of come down when they built the Millenium stadium! yet here we are in 2011 and the bloody thing is still swaying in the wind being held together with sellotape and pritstick. If Wales is serious about being competitive then our teams need state of the art stadiums to play in, France and England were streaking ahead off the field, at least we can keep pace and at least our regions have room to grow. The only reasons why our regions stadiums arent full is supporter apathy towards rugby at the moment brought on by negative tactics by the, the Ospreys and Gatland! If we can get back to trying to entertain the fans they will come back and support their clubs.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

Alum I couldn't disagree with you more.
You won't find many blues fans that are happy with playing at the CCS. If the ospreys can only attract 6000 to watch numerous lions and kiwi stars you can't blame tactics.
If playing in old stadiums is good enough for the likes of Gloucester and Leicester, it's good enough for the dragons.
Why do spectators need modern grounds?
I've been to the CCS 3 times and it's absolutely dire.
Unless these stadiums are at least 3/4 full the whole place echoes. I know people who won't go to the CCS because of this.
Ulster fans have mentioned that they only enjoy going to Rodney parade now, out of the regions.
I would like to think the blues would get back to the arms park. Probably the best old club ground in Wales. They are spending a fortune to play at the CCS and now can't afford to bring any new faces in. Their dans aren't happy, so if that's progress, I'll stick with the Rodney parade shed!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:16 pm

manofgwent wrote:Alum I couldn't disagree with you more.
You won't find many blues fans that are happy with playing at the CCS. If the ospreys can only attract 6000 to watch numerous lions and kiwi stars you can't blame tactics.
If playing in old stadiums is good enough for the likes of Gloucester and Leicester, it's good enough for the dragons.
Why do spectators need modern grounds?
I've been to the CCS 3 times and it's absolutely dire.
Unless these stadiums are at least 3/4 full the whole place echoes. I know people who won't go to the CCS because of this.
Ulster fans have mentioned that they only enjoy going to Rodney parade now, out of the regions.
I would like to think the blues would get back to the arms park. Probably the best old club ground in Wales. They are spending a fortune to play at the CCS and now can't afford to bring any new faces in. Their dans aren't happy, so if that's progress, I'll stick with the Rodney parade shed!

People vote with their feet and the Blues fans are 5% up on last year. the Ospreys are struggling for many reasons. Poor rugby is a big factor, however the Swansea FC success is also a big problem as many fans are duel fans and they cant afford both teams next season and the chance to see Man Utd, chelsea and Arsenal is to much to resist.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

I've been to watch the dragons twice at the CCS and haven't parted with a penny. Two years ago, 11 of us went down and 8 of us were given tickets outside the ground. This season we were also given tickets! It's all very well the blues announcing attendances of 10,000, but id love to know how many paying linters they have. A friend of mine was offered tickets whilst shopping in the city centre on a Saturday afternoon.
I've never known this in watching rugby for 25 years. I e sometimes offered a friend a spare ticket for a dragons game, but away fans being given tickets is unheard of.
I feel the blues are trying to save face and don't want to let on what a mistake they e made by moving.
I've mentioned to blues fans about the free tickets flying around and they are aware of the situation. The dragons could average 10,000 next year, if they printed 10,000 tickets, sold what they could and handed the rest out. It sounds fantastic having a few thousand more fans than the other regions, but I wonder how many are paid for?

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

My mate had 50 free tickets through the RAF, of which we had 6 for the Dragons game, but he couldn't shift the rest!

What about New Zealand? They do pretty well as a rugby nation. Are their clubs/provinces playing in new stadia or are they in old ones? I'm pretty sure they're all pretty old but they just get on with it and the rugby takes care if itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

Griff wrote:My mate had 50 free tickets through the RAF, of which we had 6 for the Dragons game, but he couldn't shift the rest!

What about New Zealand? They do pretty well as a rugby nation. Are their clubs/provinces playing in new stadia or are they in old ones? I'm pretty sure they're all pretty old but they just get on with it and the rugby takes care if itself.

I think most have been upgraded for the upcoming world cup, i seem to recall several discussions amongst New Zealand people about the cost to tax payers.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

They've been upgraded, but they're still rugby grounds not football stadiums!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down