The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Glasgow 23rd February

+5
George Carlin
Sin é
Hazel Sapling
jimbopip
BigGee
9 posters

Go down

Munster v Glasgow 23rd February Empty Munster v Glasgow 23rd February

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am

Munster v Glasgow
23rd February
Irish Independence Park, Cork
ko 19.00
Live on Sky Sports

The top of the conference clash comes around during the 6N window, so both sides will be way short of full strength.

Glasgow have already qualified for the playoffs and enjoy a healthy lead in the race for the home semi final. A win on Friday, whilst not confirming it mathematically would surely put it in the bag for them.

However wins in Munster, whether in Limerick or Cork, as we know well, are very hard to come by and Munster will be annoyed at slipping up last weekend to the Blues and to the bonus point defeat at Scotstoun early in the season.

Glasgow looked good last weekend against the Cheetahs and clearly benefitted from the return of some walking wounded, some of whom have gone directly into the Scotland squad. A much improved performance from the game against Dragons the previous week.

As usual, form probably counts for nothing in this game and it should be another cracker. Am looking forward to it already.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Munster v Glasgow 23rd February Empty Re: Munster v Glasgow 23rd February

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Well Swinson and Grigg straight into the Scotland match squad robs us of probably our two best players from last weekend and will certainly not make our task any easier.

I am struggling to think who will play in the centres now.

Johnson with one of Kelly or Thompson you would imagine, except they are all primarily 12s. I guess one of them will have to move out. I think Johnson is comfortable playing either role.

If Jones is still doing return to play protocols then we will be short a winger as well. Masaga played club rugby last weekend though so it would be good to see him get a run and see if the legs still have it. This was just the scenario that he was signed for after all.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 pm

15. Ruaridh Jackson (132)

14. Lee Jones (72)

13. Sam Johnson (35)

12. Brandon Thomson (9)

11. Ratu Tagive (4)

10. Adam Hastings (6)

9. George Horne (16)

1. Oli Kebble (6)

2. James Malcolm (24)

3. Siua Halanukonuka (11)

4. Kiran McDonald (9)

5. Scott Cummings (32)

6. Rob Harley (177) CAPTAIN

7. Matt Smith (16)

8. Matt Fagerson (20)

Replacements:

16. Grant Stewart (4)

17. Alex Allan (69)

18. Zander Fagerson (62)

19. Lewis Wynne (18)

20. Chris Fusaro (136)

21. Henry Pyrgos (140)

22. Richie Vernon (97)

23. Niko Matawalu (90)

Not available due to injury: Brian Alainu'uese (knee), Adam Ashe (head), Fraser Brown (head), Alex Dunbar (thigh), Callum Gibbins (achilles), Pat MacArthur (shoulder), Leo Sarto (shoulder) and George Turner (knee).

Not available due to international commitments: Jamie Bhatti (Scotland), Jonny Gray (Scotland), Nick Grigg (Scotland), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Peter Horne (Scotland), Huw Jones (Scotland) Ali Price (Scotland), Finn Russell (Scotland), Tommy Seymour (Scotland) Tim Swinson (Scotland) and Ryan Wilson (Scotland).

Rob Harley becomes Glasgow most capped player. A pretty phenomenal achievement considering his age and he is likely to end up with a record that sits on the shelf for a very long time. He is made of very tough stuff and rarely seems to get injured despite often putting himself in harms way.

At last an appearance on the subs bench for the lesser spotted Ritchie Vernon, not before time and at least it means he won't have to bring on the kicking tee this week!

He is joined on the bench by Zander Fagerson, who has made a much quicker than anticipated return from his foot injury and could be playing himself back into international contention for the last two 6N games.

Niko is also on the bench, maybe to calm him down a bit after some of his more daring antics last weekend.

All in all, considering the injuries and the international call ups, it is a pretty good team.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Billy Holland captains the side on his 180th appearance for the province as Head Coach Johann van Graan makes 12 changes to the team beaten in Cardiff last week.

Simon Zebo starts at full-back with Andrew Conway returning from Ireland camp to start on the right wing with Alex Wootton, Munster’s top try-scorer so far this season, on the opposite flank.

Sammy Arnold and Dan Goggin are the centres with out-half Tyler Bleyendaal and scrum-half James Hart completing the backline.

A new front row sees hooker Niall Scannell return from international duty with James Cronin and Stephen Archer the two props.

Jean Kleyn partners Holland in the second row. Flanker Dave O’Callaghan makes his first start since returning from a long-term knee injury as Chris Cloete and no.8 Robin Copeland keep their places in the back row.

Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne and Brian Scott provide the front row cover as Gerbrandt Grobler and Jack O’Donoghue complete the forward replacements.

Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley and Greencore Munster Rugby Academy winger Calvin Nash are the backline substitutes.

Munster: Simon Zebo; Andrew Conway, Sammy Arnold, Dan Goggin, Alex Wootton; Tyler Bleyendaal, James Hart; James Cronin, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Dave O’Callaghan, Chris Cloete, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne, Brian Scott, Gerbrandt Grobler, Jack O’Donoghue, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Calvin Nash.

There are a lot of names there I don't recognise. What is your team like Munster fans?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 pm

In all my years posting on here I have never seen such a lonely thread. Crying or Very sad

I appreciate you Gee.

Yes, Big Bad Bob will officially achieve LEGEND status tonight. Deservedly so. In one sense it's sad that his international career seems to have stalled, but that just means he's available to play during international periods. Yahoo

His Richieness returns to active service and that's worth Yahoo Yahoo
I think his performances at 13 have been under-rated by many simply because he's not angel but I think he's a fine rugby player and if there's any justice in the world he'll get a few starts between now and the end of the season.
I think Munster should win tonight, but it may be closer than some might imagine. Scotstoun Seconds are on a roll and if they get enough ball could run many better fancied teams off the park.

If anyone has a link for tonight please let me know. Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:10 pm

jimbopip wrote:

If anyone has a link for tonight please let me know. Hug

Thanks for boosting the participation in this thread by 100%, I was beginning to think that no-one likes me!

Where have all the Munster fans gone, have they given up on this game?

The match is on Friday by the way, so you might struggle trying to find a link tonight!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:13 pm

AAAHHHH.
Bloody calendars!

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in at this petty pace. furious

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Front rows are largely as expected. Fagerson coming back could be big for the Ireland game. McDonald-Cummings in the second row is a potential future Scotland pairing. Interested to see how they get on together. The return of L Wynne to the 23 is quite welcome. Saw quite a bit of time last year and is another young gun. Hoping he gets a good run tomorrow night.

The backs are pretty much whoever is fit. Vernon on for the last 20 for Thomson to put Johnson at 12 will certainly be a good pairing to end the game on. Glasgow will be able to chase the game with their subs or hold a lead (if Mata is kept off the pitch).

Munster should win this one especially after the struggles last week. Going to require some luck going Glasgow's way probably or the youth performing to potential. About half the squad is under 25 off the top of my head.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Hopefully for Munster, Glasgow will have lost interest in rugby as they have already qualified for the playoffs!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Good thread Gee, young feller me lad.

High quality Glasgow side in the circumstances.

Absolutely thrilled to see Oli Kebble starting a game. Hope to hell he can stay injury free for a while because he is one of the club's real weapons. I hope that his opposite number on the loosehead side is bringing his best scrummaging shorts. Pretty strong set of soapdodger front row replacements too.

That second row pairing is Scotland's future partnership so I really want to see how they can work together. Matt + Matt have also been tearing up the league so let's see if that continues.

How has Brandon Thompson been playing gents?

Finally, a word about Rob Harley: hard. Very hard. That's two words. He's very hard.

Sin - how do you feel about your Munster team?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:14 pm

George Carlin wrote:Good thread Gee, young feller me lad.

Absolutely thrilled to see Oli Kebble starting a game. Hope to hell he can stay injury free for a while because he is one of the club's real weapons. I hope that his opposite number on the loosehead side is bringing his best scrummaging shorts. Pretty strong set of soapdodger front row replacements too.

That second row pairing is Scotland's future partnership so I really want to see how they can work together. Matt + Matt have also been tearing up the league so let's see if that continues.

Finally, a word about Rob Harley: hard. Very hard. That's two words. He's very hard.

Kiran McDonald??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Kiran McDonald??
Laugh A bite! Further participation in this thread Gee. Don't thank me.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:03 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Kiran McDonald??

I will anyway, I am not feeling quite so lonely now!

Thank you

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:23 pm

Munster have not been very good lately but at home they are a different beast, I can see a win for Munster tonight in a very tight game.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Kiran McDonald??

Ach you're prone to these random comments - for all I know you think Kiran McDonald is the next Nathan Hines! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Second one that Hastings has put straight out. It is a bit of a breeze blowing in Cork!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm

How wasn't that try a double movement?
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Wind has got to be worth around 9 points, so by that reckoning we are 4 points down.

We have been under the cosh but held the line pretty well for all that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:52 pm

In pub waiting for France game to start so not watching, are we pish?

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Eejit wrote:In pub waiting for France game to start so not watching, are we pish?

Not really. Munster are up for it and the wind has been a big factor. We have not been able to kick out of our half and have been picked off when we try and run it out from impossible positions.

We could have been down and out if had not defended well. We will see how we play with the wind in second half.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:11 pm

George Horne scores again. He is always there in support, how many tries is that now?

13-10 Munster

They are struggling to get out of their half as well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:15 pm

and having scored one, George Horne gives one away with an air head moment at a ruck

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Well done Munster, you were much more clinical than we were. It was a night to look after the ball and we did not do that. Hopefully our young players will learn a lesson from that.

Hopefully we will meet again in the semi final with two full strength teams.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:17 am

Ooof. Defeat. Well done Munster. Sounds like you adapted to the conditions and we didn't.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 am

It was a pretty scrappy game all in all, but Munster showed a lot more savvy than we did and it was not even that close in the end.

Just when we were getting back into the game, having scored a great try, George Horne went to sleep at a ruck and allowed Munster to wander round the side and pinch the ball. For all his talent, that lack of awareness that the ball was out moment, is exactly why Toonie not picking him for Scotland yet. He will learn from it, but it cost us tonight.

Hastings struggled in the conditions as well and lots of others did not play well. Jacko looks in need of a rest and Thompson showed he is definitely not a 12, losing the ball repeatedly in contact.

Defensively we were pretty good though and we stopped Muster taking 5 points, which is about the only consolation we can take from the game.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down