The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

+27
RDW
VinceWLB
BigGee
rumpelstiltskindoh
No9
geoff999rugby
Eejit
ScarletSpiderman
Sin é
SecretFly
SirJohnnyEnglish
Cardiff Dave
Brendan
LeinsterFan4life
RiscaGame
Pete330v2
Kingshu
carpet baboon
LondonTiger
profitius
PenfroPete
munkian
LordDowlais
BamBam
No 7&1/2
Welly
RugbyFan100
31 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season - Page 8 Empty BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 Tue 06 Mar 2018, 11:58 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43302261

Live coverage of club rugby will not be shown on BBC Two Wales next season after the BBC failed to reach a deal to continue broadcasting the Pro 14 tournament.

Competition organisers are understood to have awarded the UK rights to a pay-TV service, but BBC Wales had hoped to continue broadcasting games in Wales.

It means viewers will no longer be able to watch club games on free-to-air television in English. Negotiations over Welsh language rights are ongoing.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season - Page 8 Empty Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:39 am

BamBam wrote:If you agree with that logic - why do you think you know more than them? I'd be stunned if less than 1% of the viewers on BBC Wales were willing to pay

And I will be stunned if more than 1% were willing to pay. But only time will tell.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season - Page 8 Empty Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:40 am

LordDowlais wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:People who don't go to the grounds and only watch free to view contribute nothing to the league

What an arrogant statement to make. Rolling Eyes

There are many fans in Wales who cannot make it to the ground, or afford to pay for a channel. But they support their regions in other ways, you just need to look at the amount of people wearing Ospreys tops in my own town, and most of these people watch one of their local sides, then watch their region on the tele, they cannot afford both.

Poor little lambs, they'll just have to work harder if they want to have enough disposable income to be able to do all of the things they enjoy

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:40 am

LordDowlais wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:People who don't go to the grounds and only watch free to view contribute nothing to the league

There are many fans in Wales who cannot make it to the ground, or afford to pay for a channel. But they support their regions in other ways, you just need to look at the amount of people wearing Ospreys tops in my own town, and most of these people watch one of their local sides, then watch their region on the tele, they cannot afford both.

So they can afford a minimum of £50 for a top but not a tenner for a subscription Erm

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:40 am

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:If you agree with that logic - why do you think you know more than them? I'd be stunned if less than 1% of the viewers on BBC Wales were willing to pay

And I will be stunned if more than 1% were willing to pay. But only time will tell.

picard standard bluster with nothing to back it up then - as you were

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:45 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Ok Woolfie Smith, What 'other' ways are these ?

And £9.99 is less than a round of beer ffs Rolling Eyes

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:50 am

munkian wrote:

And £9.99 is less than a round of beer ffs  Rolling Eyes

Yeah but... who pays for the round of beer you usually get if you're bloody well at home watching Pro14 instead???

Get your priorities straight, man. That's liable to create a riot or at the very least and end to some beautiful tipsy friendships! guinness guinness RedWine Bubbly
It'll pollute the social fabric!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:51 am

It's a fair enough concern that if coverage goes to pay tv it'll cut down the amount of people able to view and hence long term perhaps stop as many kids getting involved. Realistically though you have to chase tv money to a certain extent. Football hasn't been affected in England but I think you can say cricket has, though only what I've read as never have watched the county stuff. Rugby here has actually.improved as money has been put into grass roots and the youth teams look strong. Perhaps there's even the acknowledgment there as we see some free to air games and highlights on normal tv. The pro 14 though has to find a way to compete with the money of the other leagues. If not this then how?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:52 am

Oh I'm just after thinking. Won't the pubs be showing the games then?

£9.99 for your round and still able to watch the game. Can't beat that for a deal.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:58 am

SecretFly wrote:Oh I'm just after thinking.  Won't the pubs be showing the games then?  

£9.99 for your round and still able to watch the game.  Can't beat that for a deal.

I don't see why they would't.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:02 am

munkian wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Oh I'm just after thinking.  Won't the pubs be showing the games then?  

£9.99 for your round and still able to watch the game.  Can't beat that for a deal.

That's Lord settled then. Close up shop then and in to the nearest comfy pub, the one with the nice bunch of non-chair-throwing regulars.... a small drink slowly drank and the world is perfect again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:05 am

SecretFly wrote:
munkian wrote:

That's Lord settled then.  Close up shop then and in to the nearest comfy pub, the one with the nice bunch of non-chair-throwing regulars.... a small drink slowly drank and the world is perfect again.

And Guinness can run promotions in conjunction with games, which draws more customers in, which creates jobs to meet demand and boosts the Welsh economy.

The Irish to the rescue again thumbsup

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:13 am

SecretFly wrote:
munkian wrote:

That's Lord settled then.  Close up shop then and in to the nearest comfy pub, the one with the nice bunch of non-chair-throwing regulars.... a small drink slowly drank and the world is perfect again.

Something tells me you are thirsty Fly ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:15 am

munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

You assume everybody has a pint ?

And all people who say they can afford a top but cannot afford subscription fees blah, blah, blah. Who do you all think you are ?

People will buy a jersey for every day use, to wear with pride, to put on whilst popping out. Why the friggin hell would they pay a monthly subscription fee for a channel that will not likely show the Welsh regions every week ? These people pay to watch Merthyr RFC, I have seen them, spoke to them.

Some of these people play for local clubs, these people cannot be in two place at once, or afford to watch a live game and pay for subscription fees.

So what are we all telling people ? Stop buying jerseys and paying to watch your local side, and start paying for Premier Sports and go and watch a region instead ? Is this what we are telling them ?

FFS, some people on here.... Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:19 am

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

And all people who say they can afford a top but cannot afford subscription fees blah, blah, blah. Who do you all think you are ?

People will buy a jersey for every day use, to wear with pride, to put on whilst popping out. Why the friggin hell would they pay a monthly subscription fee for a channel that will not likely show the Welsh regions every week ? These people pay to watch Merthyr RFC, I have seen them, spoke to them.

Some of these people play for local clubs, these people cannot be in two place at once, or afford to watch a live game and pay for subscription fees.

So what are we all telling people ? Stop buying jerseys and paying to watch your local side, and start paying for Premier Sports and go and watch a region instead ? Is this what we are telling them ?

I'm not telling anyone, you seem to be the self elected spokesman of the poor, tired and huddled masses.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:22 am

munkian wrote:I'm not telling anyone, you seem to be the self elected spokesman of the poor, tired and huddled masses.

Yes you are.

And your firmly in the I'm alright Jack category. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:25 am

It's the longer term loss of kids picking up the game which is the worry if they don't have access to the game. Of they accessing their local.clubs less.of an.issue. people being annoyed that they have t pay more less of an issue as it's what happens. If you want to watch the aviva.prem.bar the highlights or occasional game you have to pay. You don't get everything tailored for you and your specific likes in this world.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:27 am

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yes, some people being you

If they are at a live game who can they watch it on tv then Headscratch

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:31 am

marty2086 wrote:If they are at a live game who can they watch it on tv then Headscratch

Not everybody supports the regions here in Wales. Some have their own clubs they are committed to. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:32 am

LD are you on the Internet?, do you subscribe to any pay channels - Sky, BT, Virgin?, do you go on holiday?.
The point being you make purchasing choices and £9.99 a month to watch the league your team play in
is not a lot - certainly compared to the other products I mentioned.

People put their local side first everywhere - so what ?

This is about the Pro14.
That is their choice but why should they get Pro14 free because they prefer a different rugby experience?

Also some on here, including yourself, have gone on about Pro14 getting TV for a low price.
Specifically that Welsh TV is paying more than Irish TV.
Now an Irish organization is pumping money into the league for more than Welsh TV you still complain.
You cant have it both ways Rolling Eyes

Last edited by geoff999rugby on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:33 am

One thing I will say about the tender process. Now I have no info on this particular process but have spoken to someone who has dealt with similar multi region tendering process before.
When they tender for the contract, it's not just a "here we will give you X amount for this" they have to show first that they can deliver what was set out in the original tender statment issued from the Pro14.
That will include that they have the financing in place to deliver, and they have a business plan to continue to deliver.
Now with this in mind premier sports will have shown that they can deliver what the pro14 have requested from a broadcaster in the united kingdom.
So whatever the region's the WRU and the SRU had agreed with the Pro14 was what was acceptable for them is what premier sports have agreed to deliver, and they will have tendered an amount for it and a business planning how they will achieve it.
So it's not just about the money, but delivery getting what the Pro14 believe is correct for the UK market, which will have been decided between all stakeholders.
I can't see the region's WRU and SRU asking for something they think will damage them in the long run.
So maybe just wait and see what comes out in a few weeks

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:34 am

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:If they are at a live game who can they watch it on tv then Headscratch

Not everybody supports the regions here in Wales. Some have their own clubs they are committed to. Rolling Eyes

Then how are they a loss to the league? How do you lose the support of someone who doesn't support you?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:50 am

I can just see the new MasterCard ad for Wales

Ticket to see your local club £10
Your regions new replica shirt £60
A beer while watching the game in the pub £4.50
Your PremierSports subscription to watch the Pro14....Too bloody expensive

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:07 am

munkian wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
munkian wrote:

Something tells me you are thirsty Fly ?

No, I'm just trying to construct a 'safe place' - isn't that the snowflake term? - a 'safe place' for Lord to enjoy his Pro14 games in. Flying chairs isn't the right kind of environment

...and I don't drink and rarely enter pubs. "Stone him!!! He don't contribute to the Guinness Pro14!!!!"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:12 am

At the very least we now know that the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything, - 42 - as espoused on the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, is completely erroneous and frivolous!

The true answer is of course £9.99.

Cheap for what you get!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:18 am

A genuine question here: what does the BBC get from showing games? They paid a few million a year by the sounds of it. But what do they get back? I sort of agree that those who only watch free games don't contribute anything. But they sort of do, if the BBC get something back from x number of people watching it each week. They put programmes on for a reason and the battle seems to be to chase ratings and get the highest viewing figures. For the channels with advertising it's obvious - the more viewers they get = the more people viewing adverts which means advert slots can be sold for more which means more income which can go to shareholders and can be spent on better programmes, etc. But what about the BBC with no adverts? What do they get and why do they bother showing rugby? Does the non-contributing rugby fan sat at home watching rugby actually contribute something, albeit indirectly?

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:23 am

I'm guessing here, but I assume they view it as part of their public service broadcasting to show a sport that no one else was airing - particularly in Wales it is the national sport

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:29 am

The Oracle wrote: But what about the BBC with no adverts?  What do they get and why do they bother showing rugby?  Does the non-contributing rugby fan sat at home watching rugby actually contribute something, albeit indirectly?  

BBC gets to carry out its remit. It has an obligation to offer programming that meets the variety of interests that permeate through the population of the UK. So it must provide a broad based set of programmes that appeal to a large section of the viewing public throughout a broadcasting day.
But I assume they have a budget and therefore have to prioritise spending to achieve most of what they are tasked with doing.
So if Pro14 becomes too big a draw on the overall budget, then that balancing act between investment and the number of the population that watch Pro14 is questioned and the decision is made that the price for the product is too high, as too few citizens watch the product to justify the increase in investment demanded.

I'd assume that's how it goes. The BBC aren't so much in competition with commercial channels (except for bankable talent to front their programmes) but they do have obligations that commercial channels don't.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:36 am

So if the rugby is on free to air channel the people watching at home contribute by being one of the chimney pots. So a channel will decide to show rugby, and give a few million to the league and teams within it, because there is an audience. And that audience plays a role in the remit of the channel (be it BBC or one with adverts). So the chap at home with his pizza and can of Skol does contribute every so slightly. He's one of the members of the audience that meant there was a market for the product in the first place. Just by tuning in he's contributed. Slightly.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

The Oracle wrote:So if the rugby is on free to air channel the people watching at home contribute by being one of the chimney pots. So a channel will decide to show rugby, and give a few million to the league and teams within it, because there is an audience. And that audience plays a role in the remit of the channel (be it BBC or one with adverts). So the chap at home with his pizza and can of Skol does contribute every so slightly. He's one of the members of the audience that meant there was a market for the product in the first place. Just by tuning in he's contributed. Slightly.

It's better than that. By watching Eastenders or a David Attenborough documentary.... he's contributing to the rugby he was watching.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:59 am

Depends whether you think the £12 a month paid for the licence fee is enough to cover the cost of everything that the chap at home watches that is produced by the BBC on TV, Radio or Online

I would argue probably not

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:59 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Then how are they a loss to the league? How do you lose the support of someone who doesn't support you?

Yeah this one is lost on me too... if one man and his dog is off watching a pub team then what has he got to with this discussion ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:00 pm

SecretFly wrote:
The Oracle wrote:So if the rugby is on free to air channel the people watching at home contribute by being one of the chimney pots. So a channel will decide to show rugby, and give a few million to the league and teams within it, because there is an audience. And that audience plays a role in the remit of the channel (be it BBC or one with adverts). So the chap at home with his pizza and can of Skol does contribute every so slightly. He's one of the members of the audience that meant there was a market for the product in the first place. Just by tuning in he's contributed. Slightly.

It's better than that.  By watching Eastenders or a David Attenborough documentary.... he's contributing to the rugby he was watching.  

And now that the rugby has gone, watching Eastenders or David Attenborough will contribute to.......... a new reality show to replace the rugby such as 'Traffic Cops on Ice', or 'Bolton Bailiffs in the Buff', or 'My 'orrible Step Dad'. Great!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:07 pm

munkian wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yeah this one is lost on me too...  if one man and his dog is off watching a pub team then what has he got to with this discussion ?

As I say above, if these people are watching televised rugby for free then they've created the demand and have resulted in the funding of rugby and the TV monies the league and teams have been getting for the last umpteen years. If no-one watched it then it wouldn't be shown and the Beeb wouldn't have give the league and teams £x million historically. This money has been put to (mostly) good use I'm sure, and has led to the development of the teams to where they are today.

But times change and pay TV has come in and, if they are the highest bidder then they can take over the broadcasting of it. I have no issue with it. But the man at home watching tv has contributed something historically. He's part of the reason the league has been given £4.5m by the BBC (Wales - allegedly) for the right to broadcast it.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:11 pm

Exactly!

Or yet another new soap............. we never have enough of those, do we?  Another new soap  This time set in more sunnier climes than grim East end London where everybody wants to kill his neighbour but nobody wants to shout or even talk out loud: "let's whisper instead, yeah - coz like, it's dramatic yeah and the neighbours might hear"

Oh sorry, they've already tried the sunny soap years ago.................. Whistle Run

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:21 pm

SecretFly wrote:Exactly!

Or yet another new soap............. we never have enough of those, do we?  Another new soap  This time set in more sunnier climes than grim East end London where everybody wants to kill his neighbour but nobody wants to shout or even talk out loud: "let's whisper instead, yeah - coz like, it's dramatic yeah and the neighbours might hear"

Oh sorry, they've already tried the sunny soap years ago.................. Whistle Run

Eldorado?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:22 pm

Why is it that people keep referring to the BBC coverage as 'free to air'? I have to pay a subscription every year to watch the crappy BBC and I don't even get a choice. All I ever watch the box is the Friday night Ulster match at the end of the working week with a tin or two of the black stuff but I definitely pay for the privilege.

THE BBC IS NOT FREE!!!

Anyway, back to Jeremy Kyle

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:25 pm

The Oracle wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

It's better than that.  By watching Eastenders or a David Attenborough documentary.... he's contributing to the rugby he was watching.  

And now that the rugby has gone, watching Eastenders or David Attenborough will contribute to.......... a new reality show to replace the rugby such as 'Traffic Cops on Ice', or 'Bolton Bailiffs in the Buff', or  'My 'orrible Step Dad'.  Great!

Repossessed homes under the hammer.
Wrinklies make cakes.
Simon whatshisface goes on holiday, Again.
Loved the Winter Olympics progs. Like loose women on the Balding Show.

Oh for the days of Parry-Jones, Cliff Morgan, Mclaren and even Starmer-Smith doing the French game on walkie-talkie with a grainy picture on the telly, weather permitting.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:26 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Why is it that people keep referring to the BBC coverage as 'free to air'? I have to pay a subscription every year to watch the crappy BBC and I don't even get a choice. All I ever watch the box is the Friday night Ulster match at the end of the working week with a tin or two of the black stuff but I definitely pay for the privilege.

THE BBC IS NOT FREE!!!

Anyway, back to Jeremy Kyle

Aye.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:35 pm

The Oracle wrote:
munkian wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yeah this one is lost on me too...  if one man and his dog is off watching a pub team then what has he got to with this discussion ?

As I say above, if these people are watching televised rugby for free then they've created the demand and have resulted in the funding of rugby and the TV monies the league and teams have been getting for the last umpteen years.  If no-one watched it then it wouldn't be shown and the Beeb wouldn't have give the league and teams £x million historically.  This money has been put to (mostly) good use I'm sure, and has led to the development of the teams to where they are today.  

But times change and pay TV has come in and, if they are the highest bidder then they can take over the broadcasting of it.  I have no issue with it.  But the man at home watching tv has contributed something historically.  He's part of the reason the league has been given £4.5m by the BBC (Wales - allegedly) for the right to broadcast it.

Problem is that LD is making some cockamamie argument about people being in two places at once. If they can't watch on Premier because they are at a game they can't watch if it was on BBC either

It just comes across as an argument poorly articulated and he's throwing everything out there hoping something makes sense

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by rumpelstiltskindoh Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

I appreciate that I am in a small minority, but Freeview is pretty much my only connection to rugby these days. Two years ago, on the days I wasn't working, I'd trundle down to Pontypool Park for the odd (sometimes very odd) game.

Then I fell ill and am now housebound. My income has fallen to a third of what it was in work - and it wasn't much then! I don't smoke or drink, haven't been on holiday in 4 years, and don't have any subscription channels, because I can't afford it (tiny violin emoticon please).

Just wanted to say that for at least a few of us, this is sad news indeed. And naturally, I wouldn't dream of using any of those pirate streams angel

rumpelstiltskindoh

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

There's a danger the game won't grow but as I posted elsewhere, the Aviva has I think doubled attendances in the last few decades all while on pay tv. The same is true of English Premier League since it came into being. Having one broadcaster could make the league easier to follow and improve presentation.

FreeSports have a goal to show 10 hours of live sport a day, that could bode well for the Pro14. A combination of subscription and free to air games would be perfect but it seems the details are still to be ironed out so we will have to see

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

The populations of Ireland Scotland and Wales combined is about 15m.

LordDowlais wrote:

Ld, have you a link to where it says 100,000?

The current TV deal excluding South African money is £11.6m I believe.
Premier sports costs £10 per month, thats £12m per year for every 100,000 subscribers.

Bearing in mind the current populations of Ireland, Scotland and Wales combined is 15m people or about 6.5m households. 2% of households translates to £15.6m per year from the companies point of view. 3% translates to £23.4m etc.

And then there is the English market.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:52 pm

profitius wrote:The populations of Ireland Scotland and Wales combined is about 15m.

LordDowlais wrote:

Ld, have you a link to where it says 100,000?

The current TV deal excluding South African money is £11.6m I believe.
Premier sports costs £10 per month, thats £12m per year for every 100,000 subscribers.

Bearing in mind the current populations of Ireland, Scotland and Wales combined is 15m people or about 6.5m households. 2% of households translates to £15.6m per year from the companies point of view. 3% translates to £23.4m etc.

And then there is the English market.

Do we know if Premier Sports will give a certain % to the league? Or will it just be a flat rate (like it currently is) - e.g. £x million per year. So regardless of subscriptions it may not necessarily mean more money for the league. More subscriptions might just mean more money for the TV company and their shareholders.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:55 pm

rumpelstiltskindoh wrote:I appreciate that I am in a small minority, but Freeview is pretty much my only connection to rugby these days. Two years ago, on the days I wasn't working, I'd trundle down to Pontypool Park for the odd (sometimes very odd) game.

Then I fell ill and am now housebound. My income has fallen to a third of what it was in work - and it wasn't much then! I don't smoke or drink, haven't been on holiday in 4 years, and don't have any subscription channels, because I can't afford it (tiny violin emoticon please).

Just wanted to say that for at least a few of us, this is sad news indeed. And naturally, I wouldn't dream of using any of those pirate streams angel      

I realise we do more often than not talk in smug generalities on here. Yep, of course the new way is going to greatly hit some people who simply DO have other priorities for their income but who genuinely do love rugby/their team/region whichever. It is a shame that Terrestrial 'free' TV is becoming more and more redundant each year (God I hope some junk subscription channel takes away all the bloody soaps! - how come they are never threatened with subscriptiondom when they are so popular? That would be a dream come through for me)

Anyway, do look on the bright side though. The BBC will now have a brand new Comedy Panel Game Show, hosted by some washed up semi-funny gag man called "So you think you knew what you couldn't have known yesterday Today!!!!"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:05 pm

profitius wrote:Ld, have you a link to where it says 100,000?

Yes here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43302261

Please notice where it states:-

"Pro14 matches get audiences of 100,000 people and more in Wales. Satellite channels just don't get that for ordinary club matches. wrote:

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:07 pm

rumpelstiltskindoh wrote:I appreciate that I am in a small minority, but Freeview is pretty much my only connection to rugby these days. Two years ago, on the days I wasn't working, I'd trundle down to Pontypool Park for the odd (sometimes very odd) game.

I do realise that there will be exceptional cases everywhere - such is life unfortunately, and I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy not going anywhere near those awful pirate streams Wink .

My issue is with posters who claim to be successful carpet moguls then can't face paying £10 for something they enjoy a month, or claiming to speak for everyone in his street/village/town/region/country

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:11 pm

BamBam, the Pro14 does not concern you anyway. So why don't you just bugger off ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:13 pm

2 or 3 pages ago you said yu weren't gig to watch or support the pro 14 ld. So why can you comment on an open forum and others can't?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:15 pm

Blustering nonsense won't help you here petal

Believe it or not, some of us actually look further than the end of our noses for entertainment

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:17 pm

marty2086 wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
munkian wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

As I say above, if these people are watching televised rugby for free then they've created the demand and have resulted in the funding of rugby and the TV monies the league and teams have been getting for the last umpteen years.  If no-one watched it then it wouldn't be shown and the Beeb wouldn't have give the league and teams £x million historically.  This money has been put to (mostly) good use I'm sure, and has led to the development of the teams to where they are today.  

But times change and pay TV has come in and, if they are the highest bidder then they can take over the broadcasting of it.  I have no issue with it.  But the man at home watching tv has contributed something historically.  He's part of the reason the league has been given £4.5m by the BBC (Wales - allegedly) for the right to broadcast it.

Problem is that LD is making some cockamamie argument about people being in two places at once.
If they can't watch on Premier because they are at a game they can't watch if it was on BBC either

It just comes across as an argument poorly articulated and he's throwing everything out there hoping something makes sense

Part of "reejunalism" ie bollux.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next