The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

+26
super_realist
pedro
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
beninho
puligny
compelling and rich
Roller_Coaster
AlciG
Diggers
4putt
owen10ozzy
I'm never wrong
GPB
Nathaniel Jacobs
sirbenson
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
1GrumpyGolfer
JAS
Good Golly I'm Olly
LadyPutt
Davie
gw
Snap Hook
BlueCoverman
30 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:31 am

First topic message reminder :

1).But first: Ian James Poulter, you beauty.
Can't believe I wrote that, but one helluva story, like him or loathe him, what a ten days for IJP. Sure he does some stupid things, sure he behaves like an ass sometimes, but what a moment in the spotlight for him last Sunday, a spotlight that he'd pretty much turned on himself. Very happy to know there'll be at least one Ferrari on Magnolia Drive.

2).Right, where was I? That's right, bottle of plonk, a list of runners and off we go. Only 87 will come under starter's orders on Thursday, about a dozen fewer than usual, so approximately 60% will make the cut. And, of those, you can take about 20 and know only a handful have an earthly of playing the weekend.
So let's eliminate these Past Champions from the list of possible winners - Picture of some of them here:
https://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html

Nah, some of them might win, but these won't:
Cabrera, Couples, Immelman, Zach, Langer, Lyle, Mize, O'Meara, Olazabal, Schwartzel, Scott, Singh, Weir, Willett, Woods, Woosie. Apart from the ceremonial attendees, none of Zach, Charl, Adam, Willett or Woods are playing well enough to win - got to get rid of them some time. (16)

3).Amateurs: Outahere!
Harry Ellis, Ghim, Lin, Niemann, Parzialle, Redman. No amateur has reached the top ten since the 1960's - that won't change. (6)

4).Rookies haven't won since Fuzzy Zoeller last ate collard greens. This lot won't either:
Cook, Bryan, Sharma, Miyazato, Kizzire, Frittelli, Kodaira, Li, Finau, Schauffele. Schauffele probably the wild card among them. (10)

5).Outside the owgr Top Fifty:
Walker, Kaymer, Horschel, Potter, Ryan Moore, DeChambeau, Wiesberger, Ikeda, Vegas, Henley, SiWoo Kim. Though Ryan Moore punches above his (growing) weight at Augusta and Henley is a putting genius. (11)

6).Some players are inside the owgr Top 50, but are not playing as well as they were last year - when they didn't win, so why should they this year?
Dufner, Pieters, Chappell, Fitzpatrick, Berger, Fisher, Grace, Oosthuizen, Hoffman, Molinari, Rafa C-B, Perez. These are ranked between 21st & 50th - Hate to lose Chappell on that list, and King Louis could win anywhere, anytime. And no-one would be surprised to see Hoffman play well. (12)

7).Only 32 left, and time to say farewell to Asia, South America, Australia, golfers born in England. Cheerio chaps:
Cam Smith, Aphibarnrat, Poults, Hatton, Leishman, Fleetwood, Casey, Day, Matsuyama. Could make a case, each way at least, for most of them - be really interested how Fleetwood goes; playing with Tiger will inspire or intimidate. (9)

8).Right-handers who haven't won a Major:
Reavie, Stanley, Hadwin, Steele, Cantlay, Woodland, Kisner, Reed, Kuchar, Noren, Stenson, Fowler, Rahm. I like Hadwin as much as any of them, and Kuchar has a great record at Augusta with four Top 8's in the last six years and is the leading career money-winner on Tour without a Major among the under 50's. Either he's due or he's overdue and his train has long gone. (13)

9).Ten lives left.
Webb Simpson has somehow survived so far but he's not going to win. And I can't believe that lightning will strike Bubba again. Dustin plays well here when he doesn't withdraw in mysterious circumstances but he's not last year's model - not yet anyway. Whilst Spieth is not putting like Spieth. And Sergio will have too many distractions, not to mention digesting his arroz caldoso de bogavante. (5)

10).And that leaves Brian Harman (my outsider du jour), a Georgia boy and a superb putter, Phil, Rory and the Justins, Rose and Thomas. I can't easily dismiss any of the five of them, but I'm still not convinced that Justin Thomas's game fits well here and something tells me Rory might want it all a bit too much (hope not though!).
Hopefully it'll be Justin Rose's time, he has a wonderful record of consistency in US Majors, finished 2nd, 10th, 2nd the last three years and seems to have been building towards a second Major. Perhaps from Phil, while I also/always like Louis Oosthuizen at Augusta.  

Can't remember a recent Masters when so many players seemed to have a realistic chance - hope the coverage will be as good as the golf promises to be.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 am

Reed has birdied every par 5

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:12 am

Stenson ruining the Spieth/Mcilroy pairing

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:21 am

Not to labour the point but...:
PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 358cc210

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:51 am

The joke is that they penalised a young Asian player a few years ago, but they'd never have the nuts to gong these guys.

Metaphor for America? You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Crappy forecast for Saturday, commentators bingo: How long before some t0ssp0t says a British Open has broken out?

Would think the even pars and better are all well in it.

supes will be pleased to know that Fatty O'Meara is calling it a day; perhaps Woosie, Larry Mize and the great Sandy Lyle might take the hint?

Plus: Could very well be Woods playing with Poults tomorrow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:03 am

super_realist wrote:Seeing nothing of Stenson who is just off the lead and everything of a bald, man boobed chopper hacking his way around the place.
F**k American coverage.
Reed?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 am

I don't know what "American" Coverage that you Brits got, but I saw a lot of Henrik Stenson today. A lot of Stenson.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 am

kwinigolfer wrote:The joke is that they penalised a young Asian player a few years ago, but they'd never have the nuts to gong these guys.

Metaphor for America? You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Crappy forecast for Saturday, commentators bingo: How long before some t0ssp0t says a British Open has broken out?

Would think the even pars and better are all well in it.

supes will be pleased to know that Fatty O'Meara is calling it a day; perhaps Woosie, Larry Mize and the great Sandy Lyle might take the hint?

Plus: Could very well be Woods playing with Poults tomorrow.

It is Woods/Poulter

and that was John Paramor who dinged Guantian Lang a few years back.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 am

John Paramor?
Good for him, why doesn't someone have the nuts to shift these guys along a bit. Perhaps Paramor got the elbow though?

There won't be any rounds of 5 hours 40 minutes next week, not even if they play in fivesomes.
Likely lads teeing it up include:
Casey (so his back can't be that bad)
DC
Donald (his first Major, and no, he hasn't won this one either)
Fish
Fitz
Knox
Laird
McDool
Poults

Kaymer
Molinari

I need some help here: How are the alternates assembled? And: How can Dunners be an alternate?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:35 am

Wonder if Jeff Knox will want to tee it up in the rain tomorrow with Casey?

Re: Dunne listed as an alternate, explained (sort of) in tweet by Rob Bolton:

https://twitter.com/RobBoltonGolf/status/982376827011317760

Last edited by GPB on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:06 am

Wonder if Casey will.
Also: Reports about Fred Couples's back - possible no show? Trigger requiem from Nantz.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:09 am

See above for explanation of Dunne's alternate status.

IMO, I think it stinks that he is limbo....considering that he might not even be on this continent this week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:47 am

I had the featured group on this morning and the Mickelson, Fowler, Kuchar group seemed to be waiting, a lot.  I don't know who was in front of them but at one point they had to wait even longer on 13 as someone came back to tee off again.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 am

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:Seeing nothing of Stenson who is just off the lead and everything of a bald, man boobed chopper hacking his way around the place.
F**k American coverage.
Reed?

Woods

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:17 am

Few players on twitter defending the pace yesterday, including the normally reliable Pepperell. Let’s see how long it takes a half fit Casey to whistle round with Jeff Knox. Smart money says no longer than 3 and a half.

For once I don’t have a clue what the likely third round lead is going to be. Could be anywhere between -4 and -14. All down to whether anyone from the final three groups can spreadeagle the field. I fancy Rory from here though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 am

Interesting fact is that no player in history has ever had 4 rounds in the 60's at Augusta.

I hate to admit it, but Fatprick Reed could be the first to achieve it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:30 am

A touch of the Woosnams about young Fatrick, and not just the stature. Fair sent seem to overthink anything, walks up and hits it really sweetly. Looks very confident, Woosie had a bit of a swagger in his pomp.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:41 am

He's got a bit of something about him as paddy reed. If not rory, I wouldn't mind him winning. Same with Stenson and big Leish, who ive got a couple if pound on. Weather meant to be poor today, so anything could happen.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:46 am

I heard a commentator say that Leishman was the most under-rated player in golf. Can't really argue with that.
Wouldn't mind him winning at all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 am

Leishman just looks like some bloke out for a knock with mates on a Saturday...until he actually hits the ball. Never seems to react much whether it's a good or a bad shot, which is probably a really good thing.
Wife put a quid on Pat at 20/1 (hates golf, loves a bet) so have to pull for him though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:08 am

A good bet Diggers I'd say. A friend of mine stuck 50 quid on him at 40/1.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 am

There's that picture of leish fist pumping after adam scott won a few years vack, even though he was in the same group. He was really pleased for scott. Also hecwrnt through some crap with his wife and her near death experience. Seems a good guy around.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:35 am

I see the complaints about speed of play, but its one course I can sort if see the reasons. Its clearly ridiculously hard with so many things to take into account and its pretty long and undulating.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Latest forecast is showers this morning, heavier rain this afternoon, cool (mid 60's) but not much wind so shouldn't be too bad. Should suit the bombers with the ball not running out and soft greens - imagine SubAir will be working overtime.
A big splodge of green on the radar just to the west of Augusta right now so Casey better have his brolly handy.

Here's a nice piece on Marc Leishman:

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2018/03/14/mark-leishman-perfect-past-champion-bay-hill-arnold-palmer-invitational.html

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Don’t know if it’s the pace of play or what but I’m finding this Masters boring and twice now have turned it off and gone to bed and then not bothered to watch the subsequent recording the next day. Is it just me or is anyone else feeling the same?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Two 64s please Tiger thanks haha!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Wonder how Poulter and Woods will get on today after their comments years ago about each other? I think the commentators will make more of it than they do.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Apparently Paul Dunne misses out on his top 10 Houston exemption if he gets into Hilton Head as an alternate and does not play.

Bad policy by the PGATour IMO. Dunne is entered in the Open de Espana next week.

Incidentally, Rahm and RCB are playing in Spain. But Garcia is not.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Sure glad we have "adult" nicknames here!

Do bloggers really think they are clever when they call someone "Fatrick"?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Wonder how Poulter and Woods will get on today after their comments years ago about each other? I think the commentators will make more of it than they do.
Poulter said: “Soon it’ll only be Tiger and me.”
He’s right.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:52 pm

GPB wrote:See above for explanation of Dunne's alternate status.

IMO, I think it stinks that he is limbo....considering that he might not even be on this continent this week.

Agree, the law is an ass. But I'm sure it goes down well with the Tour's "base".
Don't really know much about Paul Dunne but he seems to seek out Tour opportunities, went to UAB, and likely is one of those inclined to take a Tour card if his play warrants it. Way too early to say if he'll be a star one day, but stupidity like that won't help him be enamoured of the Tour and its sometimes dumbf*ck rules.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:58 pm

It's still not clear how Augusta's weather is going to skake out today. Light rain at the moment and a thunderstorm is an hour or so away, not sure yet if it'll deliver a direct hit on The Masters.
But, if there's no interruption to play, it seems the later starters could easily see the better conditions - probably could for the tournament but golf is an outdoors sport and I'd like to see the "elements" come into play for a while.

Casey teeing it up!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:02 pm

GPB wrote:
Hence the word ‘alternate’.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:33 pm

GPB wrote:Sure glad we have "adult" nicknames here!

Do bloggers really think they are clever when they call someone "Fatrick"?

1. Do you really think posting on here makes someone a blogger?
2. Stating the glaringly obvious can't really be that clever, depending on your sense of humour you might find it marginally funny. As I doubt the player in question will be reading this "blog" I can't see it causing much offence, unless of course other bloggers happen to be a. called Patrick and b. a bit porky.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Interesting start for Mickelson!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:59 pm

I just don't see the point of acting like 15 yr old girl at the mall food court.

Its juvenile.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Woods and Mickelson are bottom two on the Masters Leaderboard - wonder whether that's ever happened before? Anywhere??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:49 pm

GPB wrote:I just don't see the point of acting like 15 yr old girl at the mall food court.

Its juvenile.

Bit sexist, why just a girl?
I don't see the point of working out tiny, largely irrelevant details about golf rankings, it's trainspotteresque and suggests a lack of a life, so I just dont read the posts. I suggest you do the same, it'll give you more time with your calculator.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Why has it taken Casey two hours to play the front 9 on his own? Is he being held up by his marker? Disgraceful!

And can I ask that we keep comments to the golf and stop this childish name-calling?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:16 pm

Yep, you can ask.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:32 pm

LP,
I think the player has the option at Augusta of playing with a marker or going solo. So if Casey is miffed at being held up, he might be being hoist by his own petard.

Looks like the worst of the weather has skirted Augusta so the leaderboard-full of bombers can blitz away, with softer greens to help them. Would think DJ & Justin Thomas would be thrilled, possibly Rory & Leishman too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:54 pm

From data golf

"Course can be had right now. First nine holes playing over a half shot under par. Played more than a shot over par first 2 days."

Are softer greens the reason?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Jeff Knox is definitely playing with Casey.

I think the TPTB don't want a one-some going out first. They have an online presence of amen corner and holes 15/16 and if a onesome starts racing along, it could throw the broadcast schedule for a loop.

The maintenance staff might be doing some last minute prep on the course and if Casey puts the pedal to the metal, then that could also be problematic.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:06 pm

McLaren wrote:From data golf

"Course can be had right now. First nine holes playing over a half shot under par. Played more than a shot over par first 2 days."

Are softer greens the reason?

Some of the reason is that the 34 players who were playing the worst are not playing today.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Nice round from Matty Fitz - 5 under par so far incl an eagle @ 15.

My each way hope for Harman seems to be going the wrong way, today the path less travelled. If he doesn't turn things around he'll be first out of the traps on Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:58 pm

Missed that round from matty, thanks for highlighting it. Despite the jokes I like him as a player.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Hot start from Rahm. I thought anyone below the -3's was out of it but when you make up the ground that quickly you never know.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Got Oosty at 50/1 before today! Going well so far

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Ever seen a stronger leaderboard for a Major?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:44 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Ever seen a stronger leaderboard for a Major?

Probably not. Can it last or will a few fall away?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:48 pm

Great leaderboard, a playoff on the cards?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next