The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

+26
super_realist
pedro
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
beninho
puligny
compelling and rich
Roller_Coaster
AlciG
Diggers
4putt
owen10ozzy
I'm never wrong
GPB
Nathaniel Jacobs
sirbenson
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
1GrumpyGolfer
JAS
Good Golly I'm Olly
LadyPutt
Davie
gw
Snap Hook
BlueCoverman
30 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Apr 2018, 4:31 am

First topic message reminder :

1).But first: Ian James Poulter, you beauty.
Can't believe I wrote that, but one helluva story, like him or loathe him, what a ten days for IJP. Sure he does some stupid things, sure he behaves like an ass sometimes, but what a moment in the spotlight for him last Sunday, a spotlight that he'd pretty much turned on himself. Very happy to know there'll be at least one Ferrari on Magnolia Drive.

2).Right, where was I? That's right, bottle of plonk, a list of runners and off we go. Only 87 will come under starter's orders on Thursday, about a dozen fewer than usual, so approximately 60% will make the cut. And, of those, you can take about 20 and know only a handful have an earthly of playing the weekend.
So let's eliminate these Past Champions from the list of possible winners - Picture of some of them here:
https://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html

Nah, some of them might win, but these won't:
Cabrera, Couples, Immelman, Zach, Langer, Lyle, Mize, O'Meara, Olazabal, Schwartzel, Scott, Singh, Weir, Willett, Woods, Woosie. Apart from the ceremonial attendees, none of Zach, Charl, Adam, Willett or Woods are playing well enough to win - got to get rid of them some time. (16)

3).Amateurs: Outahere!
Harry Ellis, Ghim, Lin, Niemann, Parzialle, Redman. No amateur has reached the top ten since the 1960's - that won't change. (6)

4).Rookies haven't won since Fuzzy Zoeller last ate collard greens. This lot won't either:
Cook, Bryan, Sharma, Miyazato, Kizzire, Frittelli, Kodaira, Li, Finau, Schauffele. Schauffele probably the wild card among them. (10)

5).Outside the owgr Top Fifty:
Walker, Kaymer, Horschel, Potter, Ryan Moore, DeChambeau, Wiesberger, Ikeda, Vegas, Henley, SiWoo Kim. Though Ryan Moore punches above his (growing) weight at Augusta and Henley is a putting genius. (11)

6).Some players are inside the owgr Top 50, but are not playing as well as they were last year - when they didn't win, so why should they this year?
Dufner, Pieters, Chappell, Fitzpatrick, Berger, Fisher, Grace, Oosthuizen, Hoffman, Molinari, Rafa C-B, Perez. These are ranked between 21st & 50th - Hate to lose Chappell on that list, and King Louis could win anywhere, anytime. And no-one would be surprised to see Hoffman play well. (12)

7).Only 32 left, and time to say farewell to Asia, South America, Australia, golfers born in England. Cheerio chaps:
Cam Smith, Aphibarnrat, Poults, Hatton, Leishman, Fleetwood, Casey, Day, Matsuyama. Could make a case, each way at least, for most of them - be really interested how Fleetwood goes; playing with Tiger will inspire or intimidate. (9)

8).Right-handers who haven't won a Major:
Reavie, Stanley, Hadwin, Steele, Cantlay, Woodland, Kisner, Reed, Kuchar, Noren, Stenson, Fowler, Rahm. I like Hadwin as much as any of them, and Kuchar has a great record at Augusta with four Top 8's in the last six years and is the leading career money-winner on Tour without a Major among the under 50's. Either he's due or he's overdue and his train has long gone. (13)

9).Ten lives left.
Webb Simpson has somehow survived so far but he's not going to win. And I can't believe that lightning will strike Bubba again. Dustin plays well here when he doesn't withdraw in mysterious circumstances but he's not last year's model - not yet anyway. Whilst Spieth is not putting like Spieth. And Sergio will have too many distractions, not to mention digesting his arroz caldoso de bogavante. (5)

10).And that leaves Brian Harman (my outsider du jour), a Georgia boy and a superb putter, Phil, Rory and the Justins, Rose and Thomas. I can't easily dismiss any of the five of them, but I'm still not convinced that Justin Thomas's game fits well here and something tells me Rory might want it all a bit too much (hope not though!).
Hopefully it'll be Justin Rose's time, he has a wonderful record of consistency in US Majors, finished 2nd, 10th, 2nd the last three years and seems to have been building towards a second Major. Perhaps from Phil, while I also/always like Louis Oosthuizen at Augusta.  

Can't remember a recent Masters when so many players seemed to have a realistic chance - hope the coverage will be as good as the golf promises to be.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:44 pm

Rory's putting is so bad at the moment it almost looks like he is trying to miss, especially the one on nine.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters, Past (it), Present and Wannabe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:46 pm

Paul Azinger is driving me mad.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:47 pm

wiretapper wrote:I can’t say I noticed the Reed marking comment but Sky are definitely rooting for Rory

CBS were on the Rory bandwagon to start with also. Quickly switching to Spieth.

Rory needs a Faxon fix, otherwise he's putted himself out of it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:48 pm

Jordan for eagle, what a shot. So dull.

Last edited by beninho on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:49 pm

Pretty much Spith vs Reed now.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:49 pm

Today at 21:46
by beninho
Paul Azinger is driving me mad.

That’s why I’m on Sky

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:51 pm

But Sky have Harman and McGinley.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:54 pm

True although fortunately never at the same time

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:54 pm

Andrew Cotter is the best golf commentator on either channel

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:55 pm

beninho wrote:Andrew Cotter is the best golf commentator on either channel

Yes, he is very good.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:56 pm

Allright Rory, get your finger out. Amen.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:59 pm

Rahm and Fowler not out of it either.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:00 pm

pedro wrote:Rahm and Fowler not out of it either.

I think for anyone other than Reed to be in with a shot, he needs to start making some errors. Even when out of position today he has looked like he would rescue the par.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:01 pm

Yeah I agree with that Cotter is very good, as is Brown. Allis and Zinger even it out

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:04 pm

McLaren wrote:
pedro wrote:Rahm and Fowler not out of it either.

I think for anyone other than Reed to be in with a shot, he needs to start making some errors.  Even when out of position today he has looked like he would rescue the par.
He can’t continue his shaky driving without consequences?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:04 pm

Reed is just doing what he needs to do, and doing it well.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:06 pm

Reed can probably win this by parring it in. Spieth would have to hit 63 to tie and no one else is making a significant enough move. Of course someone could do a Schwartzel

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:07 pm

Utter s**te from Rory.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:09 pm

I like Rory, and I still stand by him being the best when he is on. But when hes a bit off, he cant serm to put it together.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:10 pm

No faith that rory makes that par

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:13 pm

Fowler perhaps?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:14 pm

beninho wrote:No faith that rory makes that par
God or science Rory?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:15 pm

I wonder whether Rorys decision to stick with a pal as his caddie is one he may be ruing now...

Again easy to point at the flat stick today but his approach play has been woeful too. Another horror sunday when in contention at the masters will only add to the pressure when he goes back.

Got to make Spieth favourite now and Fowler looks like he may well have found the mental fortitude to go get this also.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:15 pm

Come on Jordan!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:16 pm

Rory gone

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:17 pm

Rory shot 65 yesterday with the same caddie.....

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:19 pm

Yeh Rory definitely out of it....

Im not a fan of Spieth in the sense cant root for him (not sure why to be honest) however the man doesnt half know how to play Sundays at majors (save for the 1 meltdown)

He may well have done...but his caddie has never been in this position on a sunday and when things havent been going right for Rory one has to wonder whether a young lad with no experience at this level as player or coach or caddie is the right man to have on the bag

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:21 pm

Can’t see Reed losing shots on 13 or 15.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:22 pm

Really don't believe that rorys performance today is down to his choice of caddie.

Reed keeps bouncing back. Every mistake he has responded. He should win, and ge deseves to.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:22 pm

Re Rorys caddie: JP didn’t do it for him either. Maybe he needs a Steve Williams type.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:24 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if speith holes out on 16

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:25 pm

I just think we have to accept that Rory will sometimes be amazing and sometimes not so good. As frustrating as it may be.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:26 pm

Only two players in the top 30 are over par today. I don’t think it’s plausible to blame the caddy for Rory’s wayward driving, approach play and putting.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:27 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Only two players in the top 30 are over par today. I don’t think it’s plausible to blame the caddy for Rory’s wayward driving, approach play and putting.
Rory needs a Roy Hodgson.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:29 pm

beninho wrote:I just think we have to accept that Rory will sometimes be amazing and sometimes not so good. As frustrating as it may be.

I think we’ll see him be very good from time to time on the tour but I think he’s probably won his last major unfortunately.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:29 pm

For sone reason I want to buy a new pink golf shirt.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:30 pm

Rory with another horrible drive...man oh man...his driving looks ready for another 2011 repeat! So so poor...

And regards Caddie...there isnt a chance that choice of caddie isnt important on days like this regardless of whether has been in the position before or not. I think mentally Rory isnt the strongest by a long chalk and thus I think his caddie choice is more important than other mentally stronger players.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:30 pm

Reed getting the luck now

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:31 pm

Think we can say Reid has this won - that type of luck is usually reserved for the winner!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:31 pm

Boring old jordan

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:32 pm

Omg Spieth, can that man putt....

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:32 pm

Wow! Jordan Spieth!!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:32 pm

Spieth showing why he will dominate the game for years to come. If anyone gets near Tigers let alone Jacks record its this boy!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:33 pm

This can't be far of tge greatest major round of golf ever, even if he doesn't win.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:34 pm

Holds it together through the next 3 I think he wins this. I can see Reed letting shots go over the last few

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:40 pm

There is nothing boring about Jordan Spieth today

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:41 pm

Azinger called stenson a ball striking jessy. Wtf?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:45 pm

Says a lot that the final pairing are combined +1 so far today....seems like one of those occassions where they havent dragged one another along

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:46 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Says a lot that the final pairing are combined +1 so far today....seems like one of those occassions where they havent dragged one another along
Wouldn’t want to drag Reed anywhere..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm

Rahmbo out. So close...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next