The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion

+30
mikey_dragon
Anglobraveheart
takethelongroad
EST
bsando
EWT Spoons
Geordie
St John The Enforcer
Totalflanker
highland_scot
sensisball
funnyExiledScot
nickj
IanBru
demosthenes
des
LondonTiger
Tramptastic
TJ
Eejit
jimbopip
SirBurger
George Carlin
BigGee
Welly
TheMildlyFranticLlama
tigertattie
NeilyBroon
RDW
Hazel Sapling
34 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion - Page 6 Empty 20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 04 Jun 2018, 11:19 am

First topic message reminder :

Edinburgh Squad

LH's: Schoeman, Dell, Marfo, Sutherland
Hookers: McInally, Ford, Fenton, Cherry
TH's: Nel, Berghan, McCallum, Ceccarelli
Second Row: Gilchrist, Toolis, McKenzie, Carmichael, Hunter-Hill
Back Row: Barclay, Hamilton, Crosbie; Watson, Ritchie; Bradbury, Mata, Miller, Nayalo

SH's: Pyrgos, Fowles, Kennedy, Shiel
FH's: Hickey, VDW, McLelland, Baggott
Centres: Scott, Socino, Bennett, Dean, Johnstone, G Taylor
Back 3: Fife, VDM, Hoyland, Brown, Graham; Kinghorn

Forward Total: 26
- Internationals: 16 (14 Scots, 1 Italian, 1 Fijian)
- NSQ: 4 (1 of whom is a project)
- Under 25 (as of September 1st, 2018): 7 (2 capped)
Backs Total: 20
- Internationals: 8 (Socino lone non-Scot)
- NSQ: 4 (2 projects)
- Under 25 (as of September 1st, 2018): 10 (2 capped)

Total: 46

Glasgow Squad

LH's: Bhatti, Allan, Kebble
Hookers: Brown, Turner, Stewart, Bryce
TH's: Fagerson, Nuka, Rae, Nicol
Second Row: Gray, Swinson, Cummings, McDonald, Brian, Peterson, Davidson
Back-Row: M Fagerson, Harley; Gibbins, Smith, Fusaro; Wilson, Ashe, Tameilau, Flockhart

SH's: Price, G Horne,Frisby, Mata, Baletto
FH's: Horne, Hastings, Jackson
Centres: Dunbar, H Jones, Johnson, Dunbar, Grigg, P Kelly
Back 3: Seymour, VDM, L Jones, Masaga, Tagive, Hughes, Beattie, Nairn; Hogg, Thomson

Forward Total: 27
- Internationals: 15 (12 Scots, 2 Americans, 1 Tongan)
- NSQ: 6 (2 projects)
- Under 25 (as of September 1st, 2018): 11 (4 capped, both projects)
Backs Total: 24
- Internationals: 14 (10 Scots, 1 Fijian, 1 Kiwi, 1 Canadian, 1 Aussie)
- NSQ: 4 (No projects if Thomson is already tied to SA)
- Under 25 (as of September 1st, 2018): 8 (1 capped)

Total: 51

Overall: 97 players
- Internationals: 53 (43 Scots)
- NSQ: 19 (5 projects)
- Under 25: 36 (9 capped)

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 11:20 am; edited 14 times in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: 20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 06 Jul 2018, 3:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Who the hell is Baretto...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaleem_Barreto

Youngster, was likely to be starting 9 at u20s this year. Injury prevented it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: 20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Jul 2018, 3:36 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Who the hell is Baretto...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaleem_Barreto

Youngster, was likely to be starting 9 at u20s this year.  Injury prevented it.

Is he a pal of Young Pipetto?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 06 Jul 2018, 4:16 pm

No.

But I'd love to introduce them.

"Pipetto.. Barretto. Barretto... Pipetto. Oh and here's Piinocchio's dad."

As I was typing this Pipetto walked in. " Henners is a Luvvie" said I.

MrsPip went ballistic said inflicting my prejudices on an impressionable child was unacceptable.

I couldn't speak for laughing.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Jul 2018, 4:18 pm

jimbopip wrote:No.

But I'd love to introduce them.

"Pipetto.. Barretto. Barretto... Pipetto. Oh and here's Piinocchio's dad."

As I was typing this Pipetto walked in. " Henners is a Luvvie" said I.

MrsPip went ballistic said inflicting my prejudices on an impressionable child was unacceptable.

I couldn't speak for laughing.

#Always
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Jul 2018, 4:19 pm

1 Dell
2 Mcinally
3 Berghan
4 Toolis
5 Gilchrist
6 Bradbury
7 Watson
8 Mata

9 Pyrgos
10 Hickey
11 VDM
12 Scott
13 Bennett
14 Fife
15 Kinghorn

Subs - Sutherland, Ford, Nel, Charmichael, Ritchie, Kennedy, VDW, Dean

That'll do nicely!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 06 Jul 2018, 4:27 pm

What a team in comparison to the last couple of years.  This one is young, predominantly Scottish and actually looks half decent.

Really hope I'm not celebrating too soon and Glasgow aren't about to announce a load of signings, all of whom are from our pack.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Jul 2018, 4:30 pm

Only 4 of the 23 are NSQ, and they are actually good NSQ players that add to the team.

Very different from the Solomons era indeed!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 06 Jul 2018, 7:30 pm

New Glasgow signing tomorrow. Bets?

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Jul 2018, 7:33 pm

Glasgow fans on social media really are a moany bunch. Mark Dodson has openly admitted they've focussed resources on Glasgow for several years and now they need to bring Edinburgh up to speed - they can't say they haven't had the good times!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 06 Jul 2018, 7:45 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow fans on social media really are a moany bunch. Mark Dodson has openly admitted they've focussed resources on Glasgow for several years and now they need to bring Edinburgh up to speed - they can't say they haven't had the good times!

Yes, they're really unbearable. The Glasgow forum is also pretty bad - hence why I hang out here with you gremlins.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 06 Jul 2018, 7:51 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
6 Bradbury
7 Watson
8 Mata

I really hope we get to see a lot of that back row next season because its an absolute belter. If Mata has another season like his last I imagine he'll be moving on with a massive suitcase of cash from some French side

Also Pyrgos is a cracking signing and could really flourish under Cockers, I'm very confused how any Edinburgh fans could possibly think otherwise?!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 06 Jul 2018, 10:13 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
6 Bradbury
7 Watson
8 Mata

I really hope we get to see a lot of that back row next season because its an absolute belter. If Mata has another season like his last I imagine he'll be moving on with a massive suitcase of cash from some French side

Also Pyrgos is a cracking signing and could really flourish under Cockers, I'm very confused how any Edinburgh fans could possibly think otherwise?!

Think some have it in their heads Bradbury is off down to Glasgow.

I imagine Cockers is going to become the devil in Glasgow soon enough.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Jul 2018, 10:28 pm

Thing is, the Pyrgos move makes sense for the player, Edinburgh and Scotland.

Bradbury moving to Glasgow would only make sense for Glasgow. He's got a good thing going at Edinburgh with the right coaches and environment which has brought him into Scotland selection. Mess with that and his development could stall or go backwards (especially with Humphreys as coach).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 06 Jul 2018, 10:34 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Thing is, the Pyrgos move makes sense for the player, Edinburgh and Scotland.

Bradbury moving to Glasgow would only make sense for Glasgow. He's got a good thing going at Edinburgh with the right coaches and environment which has brought him into Scotland selection. Mess with that and his development could stall or go backwards (especially with Humphreys as coach).

You just want to keep him - you need to learn to share!

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Jul 2018, 10:36 pm

Dam right I do! Whoever Glasgow sign tomorrow even if it is Kieran Reid I'm sure some people will still complain.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 06 Jul 2018, 10:44 pm

I like how the Pygros move cannot be compared to Turner.
In essence both moved for similar reasons just one is more high profile.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:27 am

Apparently the warriors are announcing a signing today.
The club feed has this, “Coaching the Chiefs, when we were playing his team we would dedicate time in the week leading up to the game to shutting him down because of how dangerous he can be."

Wonder who it might be.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:34 am

Could be Kieran Reid after all!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:43 am

It’s Nick Frisby according to rumours on twitter.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:49 am

Would explain the dog not catching a frisby video!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:54 am

I’m ashamed to admit I didn’t get that till you mentioned it.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:58 am

Nick Shocked Shocked Shocked Frisby.

I'll admit an element of ignorance.

Anyone care to enlighten me.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:59 am

Interesting that this guy didn't go to Edinburgh instead given they needed a 9 - I suspect it's because he's NSQ so available all season, plus no point having 3 Scotland international 9s at Glasgow

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Jul 2018, 12:47 pm

A five times capped Wallaby, who are not usually short of decent SHs, so seems to have a reasonable pedigree as a player.

It means we will have a decent SH when, as seems likely Horne and Price are away with Scotland.

Despite all the bad feeling on the Glasgow warriors forum, it does make a lot more sense to have all our international SQ SH's playing regular rugby. Henry P may well have struggled for game time at Glasgow this year. Now, he may even be able to put himself back in the mix for the WC.

Probably a good move all round.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 07 Jul 2018, 1:02 pm

Are Glasgow not going to struggle to give enough game time to Price, Horne and Frisby? If Horne or Price find themselves with limited game time they could struggle to be pushing for an International place

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Jul 2018, 1:17 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:Are Glasgow not going to struggle to give enough game time to Price, Horne and Frisby? If Horne or Price find themselves with limited game time they could struggle to be pushing for an International place

With Price and Horne likely to be away for periods with Scotland, I think there should be plenty of game time to go around. Frisbee is likely to come into his own during those periods and with rest, injury and rotation, will get to play at other points in time as well. He is a two year contract and that will cover the WC period next year as well, when we may lose internationals for the first three months of the season.

It will keep the two of them on their toes as well having another good players in the squad, so no loss of form is going to be tolerated this year.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 07 Jul 2018, 1:19 pm

Personally I don't rate him, he has some good highlights but his control of the game at super rugby level the last 2 seasons (2016 + 2017) has been pretty poor.

Suspect he fits more into the Rennie style than the cockers style (Which prob lends itself more to a Pyrgos type 9)

Makes sense though as he is good cover, not many 3rd choice 9's that will be better than him in the league, just need to sign some beef upfront in that back row.

(Oh god i'm getting into scottish rugby)

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat 07 Jul 2018, 7:50 pm

Could be worse mate.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 08 Jul 2018, 6:51 am

A scrum half?

Er, Dave - this is fine as long as it precedes the announcement of Keiran Read, Brodie Retallick and Duane Vermullen.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 08 Jul 2018, 10:27 am

Yeah, we'll get Brodie Read (stand off)- Duane Retallick (10/12) and Kieran Mac Vermullen (wing/full back).

Pardon my slightly cynical tone but it's my birthday and I don't give a flying fecc.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 09 Jul 2018, 8:29 am

Happy birthday Jimbo.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Jul 2018, 8:56 am

Morning everyone, please endulge me for a moment whilst I move away from rugby

Some of you probably remember that I lost my dad in November 2016 to Bowel Cancer. I had always wanted to do something as a tribute to him and to try and raise some money in the fight against Bowel Cancer, which is an awful and common disease and for us, is something of a family cancer.

I had planned to do this last summer, whilst it was still fresh, but I ended up a bit under rthe weather last year and never managed to get myself into any kind of shape. My brother ran the London Marathon for the same cause, we had planned to do a co-ordinated effort, but it was not to be, so it just made me more determined to do it this year.

So from 27th July to 6th August, I will be cycling from Lands End to John o Groats as a tribute to my dad and to raise money for @Bowel_Cancer_UK

If any of you feel you could support me in this venture I would be most grateful, I have put the link to my fundraising page below and I will be posting about the trip on Twitter @grahamedick and recording the routes on Strava for anyone who might be interested.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahameDick

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me with this

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 09 Jul 2018, 10:06 am

Best of luck BigGee!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 09 Jul 2018, 10:12 am

Done. All the best Biggee!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 09 Jul 2018, 10:40 am

Done. Best of luck Gee - a noble cause and the chance to drink at a very large number of local pubs.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Jul 2018, 10:51 am

I was going to send out individual messages, but I am becoming overwhelmed by everyone's generosity.

Thank you everyone, this means an awful lot to me.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:02 am

Done.

All the best BigGee, sure your dad would be proud.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:07 am

Since Gee has raised the moral and spiritual tone I shall reset it to it's default position.

Yesterday evening MrsPip and I were watching a movie about the creation of the Wonder Woman comics. It centred on the Yale professor, his wife and their student who embarked on a lifelong menage a trois.
MrsPip asked, during a tastefully artistic sex scene, "Why do all men fantasise about that?"

I pointed out that I couldn't answer for all men, ruminated on her question for a few moments then answered honestly....

"I think just for once we want to be in a sexual encounter where two of those involved know what they're doing."

I think that brings us back to our normal setting, gentlemen. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:33 am

Have we just had a bit of a voyeur's look into Jimbo's Neflix and chill evenings?

(for those of a certain age who don't know what that means, give it a Google)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:40 am

Google? Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:47 am

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:55 am

jimbopip wrote:Google? Shocked

Search for it in Lycos.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 09 Jul 2018, 6:31 pm

Kevin Bryce has signed a short term deal with Glasgow....as a hooker!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 09 Jul 2018, 6:36 pm

Also, I wonder what Biggee's friends and colleagues make of his donation page with all the names of 606v2 posters on there - TheMildlyFranticLlama being a personal favourite!  Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Jul 2018, 7:47 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Also, I wonder what Biggee's friends and colleagues make of his donation page with all the names of 606v2 posters on there - TheMildlyFranticLlama being a personal favourite!  Laugh

All they will see is how generous you have all been!

Thanks again!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 09 Jul 2018, 8:05 pm

jimbopip wrote:Google? Shocked
Ask Jeeves. 

And by that, I obviously mean FES' manservant. He's very good.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Jul 2018, 8:25 am

Talking of FES, I've just dropped him a PM to try and get him to come say hello. He hasn't posted since the Wales game - maybe that put him off for good! picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 10 Jul 2018, 8:39 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Kevin Bryce has signed a short term deal with Glasgow....as a hooker!

Right move for him. He was an ok Hooker and will do a job for Glasgow again. The move to TH was doomed to fail from the start, glad they've given up on it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 10 Jul 2018, 11:04 am

I think it doesn't bode well for young Malcolm: not so long ago he was the coming man. Last season DR preferred Grant Stewart to him and now has given him a short term deal. It looks like Stewart will keep the fourth spot/development position and Malcolm and Bryce will be slugging it out in the last chance saloon for third spot. Unless, of course, the short term deal is cover until a SH hooker arrives.

From a Scotland point of view this means two very promising hookers could be lost to us since there seems to be an absence of clubs queueing up to sign either of them.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 10 Jul 2018, 11:24 am

jimbopip wrote:I think it doesn't bode well for young Malcolm: not so long ago he was the coming man. Last season DR preferred Grant Stewart to him and now has given him a short term deal. It looks like Stewart will keep the fourth spot/development position and Malcolm and Bryce will be slugging it out in the last chance saloon for third spot. Unless, of course, the short term deal is cover until a SH hooker arrives.

From a Scotland point of view this means two very promising hookers could be lost to us since there seems to be an absence of clubs queueing up to sign either of them.

I'd argue that they simply are not good enough for Pro rugby if they can't secure a place in either team nor at any other Pro team for that matter. It's not as if they will be lost in the wilderness as they should be able to secure a place at one of the Super 6 clubs where, if they improve, they can still be considered for a place among the pro teams!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next