The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+20
George1507
Eyetoldyouso
1GrumpyGolfer
Roller_Coaster
Davie
Diggers
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
westisbest
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
JAS
pedro
beninho
dynamark
raycastleunited
wiretapper
McLaren
24 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Wed 23 May 2018, 1:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

kwinigolfer wrote:
McLaren wrote:Kwini

I reckon Harry has scored a double eagle.

She's a weird looking bird, more a bogey I'd say.

Kwini, you have very high standards. I seem to remember you thought Lexi was a bit of a minger.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 18 Jun 2018, 11:26 pm

Clearly Kane should have been awarded a penalty, but no excuse for Walker's stupidity; not convinced that he's the ideal right-sided man for a back three. Certainly doesn't make use of his assets, badly exposes his weaknesses.
Sterling was a non-entity.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Jun 2018, 7:28 am

If Walker was stupid then so is every defender there, what he did was nothing's compared to what I've seen over and over again at set pieces. Not a penalty for me.
When we played really well for 30 mins Sterling was our best player, watch his movement, it was fantastic. He did go off the boil as they sat deep, there was no space for him,which is why Southgate changed the set up so we tried to get behind them more.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jun 2018, 7:34 am

Good start by England, not massively convincing, but a win is a win.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Jun 2018, 9:30 am

Diggers wrote:If Walker was stupid then so is every defender there, what he did was nothing's compared to what I've seen over and over again at set pieces. Not a penalty for me.
When we played really well for 30 mins Sterling was our best player, watch his movement, it was fantastic. He did go off the boil as they sat deep, there was no space for him,which is why Southgate changed the set up so we tried to get behind them more.
Agree re. Sterling, but he really needs to work out how to arrange his feet when attempting to shoot. Not sure we can afford the profligacy at this level.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 19 Jun 2018, 9:53 am

Pickford - not much to do so not much of an idea about him yet, nearly got to the penalty and one mad dash out of the area.

Trippier - pretty good at both ends

Young - never been convinced about him anywhere, but nothing to complain about last night except perhaps that it wasn't Rose

Maguire - better going forward, nice support in their half, good defensive headers but not great distribution

Stones - OK not perhaps a rock at the back but fairly accomplished

Walker - Agree with Kwini right of a 3 takes all his attributes out and highlights why he's out on the right at club level BUT wouldn't have Cahill there.

Lingard - seemed a bit inhibited, good link up, running around but poor in front of goal (unusually)

Henderson - pleasantly surprised usually think he's garbage but wasn't

Alli - great start, tailed off (did he actually get injured?) became pretty ineffective

Sterling - mixed bag, positioning, keenness for the ball good but finishing and use of ball poor

Kane - great positioning and 1 great finish. Lot of good work pulling the defence around. Shame he wasn't taking the corners (?!?!?!)

Dier - he did come on right? Which I guess shows that he did what he should very well for the 5 minutes.

Rashford - On, at it, at them. Always looks lively. Great attacking intent, stupidly listened to Lingard's shout when he had an opportunity to shoot. Definitely pressure on Sterling, but switch their roles and I wouldn't want to have to bring Sterling on to force anything.

Loftus cheek - eager, intent, went the right way (forward) looked raw but OK in those circumstances

Southgate - pretty good, possibly a little slow to change anything but then again they won.

Importantly, the team looked better together than all of those individual comments. Overall a good performance I thought, although after absolutely battering Tunisia for 10-15 minutes I felt that collectively they got over confident and eased off. All need a good hour finishing practise this afternoon.

Referee was utterly garbage as were the VAR team. Very soft penalty, I'm not convinced but I can see why it was given however if that is a penalty, it beggars belief why Kane's 2 bodyslams weren't.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Jun 2018, 11:01 am

Diggers, I'll see you in March!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 21 Jun 2018, 7:59 pm

OK

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 21 Jun 2018, 8:51 pm

Ahh, a real pleasure to see Argentina get torn a new one. They've been utter dross.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Jun 2018, 7:45 am

Excellent volley from Rebic. Gifted to him, but still needed to finish.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 22 Jun 2018, 9:14 am

Argentina were utterly terrid and deserved a thumping.

However, quite how both sides ended with 11 players is beyond me, some disgusting "play" by both sides. Actually outdid the rolling around antics of which a couple of the instant recoveries once no free kick had been given were phenomenal.

Not a very good advert for the beautiful game, which is a shame as Croatia have potential and in Modric and Rakitic they have an attacking midfield pairing at least the match of any nation.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 22 Jun 2018, 10:30 am

It was dirty, but I've got to be honest, I love a match with a bit of an edge.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Fri 22 Jun 2018, 12:06 pm

Excellent Raheem Sterling interview -> https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/raheem-sterling-england-it-was-all-a-dream?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=worldcup18&utm_term=Sterling

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Fri 22 Jun 2018, 12:20 pm

wiretapper

Thanks for posting the article. It is quite the most uplifting thing I've read in ages.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 22 Jun 2018, 12:59 pm

Eyetoldyouso wrote:wiretapper

Thanks for posting the article. It is quite the most uplifting thing I've read in ages.
Agreed. The boy done good.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 22 Jun 2018, 4:35 pm

The hand of god?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/stunned-parents-try-wrestle-baby-12757583

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 22 Jun 2018, 5:11 pm

pedro wrote:The hand of god?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/stunned-parents-try-wrestle-baby-12757583
"The hand of God?" laughing
mad Chuffing 'Priest'. Why am I not surprised this sort of thing happens?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 22 Jun 2018, 7:46 pm

A member of the priesthood inappropriately touching a child. Shocked!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 23 Jun 2018, 3:34 pm

one for Mac:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbccomedy/status/1010189882503950336?s=12

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 23 Jun 2018, 3:36 pm

Belgium looked a lot better against Tunisia than England did

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 23 Jun 2018, 5:08 pm

Belgium looked great. I do think they are though the perfect side to play not so great sides. Lukaku will terrify average defenders and they had so much space today, Tunisia couldn't sit deep. I'd be more than happy to see them win the whole thing (obviously behind England). Would be a good advert for the Premier League.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 23 Jun 2018, 6:08 pm

A poor advert for the Premier League is Germany having the nuts to do what Wenger has so conspicuously failed to do: Drop Ozil.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 23 Jun 2018, 9:30 pm

Loving this World Cup. Gutted for Sweden but fair play, it's drama and atmosphere like this that reminds you why football, for all its many faults, can still be the best sport.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 23 Jun 2018, 9:39 pm

Diggers wrote:Loving this World Cup. Gutted for Sweden but fair play, it's drama and atmosphere like this that reminds you why football, for all its many faults, can still be the best sport.
Hmmm....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 23 Jun 2018, 9:43 pm

You don't think that was dramatic, Navy? Have to say the atmosphere has been fantastic at every match Ive watched (sounds even more electric on radio coverage). I won't to France 98, not the England games but 4 other games, Cameroon, Mexico and a few others. The atmosphere was always brilliant.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 23 Jun 2018, 9:58 pm

That would be an interesting debate:
Best sport for spectators: Football for me.
Best for playing: Cricket when I played, loved it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 23 Jun 2018, 10:41 pm

raycastleunited wrote:one for Mac:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbccomedy/status/1010189882503950336?s=12

Genuinely hilarious. :thumbsup:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 23 Jun 2018, 10:47 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:Loving this World Cup. Gutted for Sweden but fair play, it's drama and atmosphere like this that reminds you why football, for all its many faults, can still be the best sport.
Hmmm....

What more are you looking for from a sports event? Sweden Germany had everything. 

But in general this WC had been great fun so far.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 24 Jun 2018, 1:41 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Belgium looked a lot better against Tunisia than England did

But we've looked much better then Belgium against Panama. They were 0-0 at half time!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 24 Jun 2018, 2:00 pm

Panama never came to play football did they? Getting what they deserve, hopefully some sendings off in the second half.
Appropriate that Panama are mad as Hatters . . . . . . Run

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 24 Jun 2018, 2:56 pm

Job done. We more or less know the starting 11 and it's pretty useful. Can't see Thursday being massively competitive now, nobody will want to risk either injury or cards.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 24 Jun 2018, 3:25 pm

Apart from the goals (I know, I know) I didn't think England looked impressive; would hate to see that passing around at the back against a decent pressing team. Beyond careless.
Lovely goal by Lingard though, plus dangerous at every set-piece (including Panama's).
Job done is right.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 24 Jun 2018, 6:32 pm

They played very well in patches, actually at the start of the second half they moved the ball beautifully. Change of personnel and a bit of fatigue made for a ragged(ish) ending.
They can keep the ball and also move it really quickly. Lingard was excellent, Loftus Cheek and Sterling ran tirelessly on and off the ball. Kane is a very good striker with sky high confidence, always a massively bonus for a team.
I thought Walker looked really comfortable in the 3 today, I really like system and there will be a few errors, they've barely played together. Trippier should walk into anyone's team of the tournament thus far.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 24 Jun 2018, 8:34 pm

I hope everyone is drinking responsibly after today's antics
Bubbly

Enjoy lads, it was a good win OK

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 24 Jun 2018, 10:01 pm

Diggers wrote:You don't think that was dramatic, Navy? Have to say the atmosphere has been fantastic at every match Ive watched (sounds even more electric on radio coverage). I won't to France 98, not the England games but 4 other games, Cameroon, Mexico and a few others. The atmosphere was always brilliant.
Dramatic, yes. It was the "best sport" bit, as if no other sport can have a last-minute 'winner' etc.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 24 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm

Diggers wrote:They played very well in patches, actually at the start of the second half they moved the ball beautifully. Change of personnel and a bit of fatigue made for a ragged(ish) ending.
They can keep the ball and also move it really quickly. Lingard was excellent, Loftus Cheek and Sterling ran tirelessly on and off the ball. Kane is a very good striker with sky high confidence, always a massively bonus for a team.
I thought Walker looked really comfortable in the 3 today, I really like system and there will be a few errors, they've barely played together. Trippier should walk into anyone's team of the tournament thus far.
Agree with all this, although I thought there was far too much that was stupidly sloppy today. Maybe to do with the opposition, but if we do that against a team a little better than pub standard, then we'll be fooked.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 25 Jun 2018, 7:59 am

Important to temper expectations lads. They haven't beaten or played anyone of any note yet.

Panama are a tiny country and are ranked one below Jamaica, so it might actually be harmful to have had two relatively easy games and they only just sneaked past a poor Tunisia.

Saying that though, probably the best start to a tournament in at least 20 years, so you've a right to be happy, maybe optimistic, but should be taken in the context of who England have played. Quite possibly the weakest group.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 25 Jun 2018, 4:59 pm

England will need another level of real concentration and decision making from now on .
I'm sure its there but it will need to be very accurate disciplined play with no errors.
Should be good

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 25 Jun 2018, 8:49 pm

It's easy to say we've have the easiest group now, worth noting that Tunisia went into this as Africa's highest ranked side. Higher than Morocco who are beating Spain (Panama are pretty crap though).
Right to not get carried away, but you have to enjoy the good moments when they (infrequently) come along.
Spain v Uruguay could be tasty. We might get Colombia, that would be a corker as well, could go either way.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 25 Jun 2018, 8:52 pm

WTF. Most ridiculous VAR decision ever, utterly ludicrous.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 25 Jun 2018, 11:16 pm

Exactly which decision / match are you talking about??? Seems to be plenty to choose from...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 26 Jun 2018, 7:00 am

I don't mind VAR. Though the handball pen seemed strange, but I think, thsts the 3rd handball given in similar circumstances, so maybe I don't know the rules! It got the Ronaldo pen correct, the spain goal was also correct, and I think the ronaldo yellow was ok.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Jun 2018, 7:21 am

Diggers wrote:It's easy to say we've have the easiest group now, worth noting that Tunisia went into this as Africa's highest ranked side. Higher than Morocco who are beating Spain (Panama are pretty crap though).
Right to not get carried away, but you have to enjoy the good moments when they (infrequently) come along.
Spain v Uruguay could be tasty. We might get Colombia, that would be a corker as well, could go either way.

Can totally understand why your enjoying the relative success Diggers, as it's rarer than rocking horse sh1t for England. It's been a generation since you've had a team to cheer.

We've known for years though that the FIFA rankings are no measure of how good a team are, remember when England were ranked 3 or 4? A laughable position.
Fifa rankings are probably the least representative and least reliable barometer in world sport, and  although Tunisia may have been ranked higher than other African teams, you'd much rather face them, then Senegal for instance who look far better than Tunisia ever have.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 26 Jun 2018, 8:51 am

beninho wrote:I don't mind VAR. Though the handball pen seemed strange, but I think, thsts the 3rd handball given in similar circumstances, so maybe I don't know the rules! It got the Ronaldo pen correct, the spain goal was also correct, and I think the ronaldo yellow was ok.
It most certainly was not. It's either red, or nothing. Since it was Ronaldo, there's no way he was being sent off (the conniving little 5h1t), but the Referee absolutely got that wrong.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Tue 26 Jun 2018, 9:05 am

I was flicking between both games last night and caught the two late VAR decisions.

The one in the Spain game worked perfectly; Aspas was onside, the replay showed that, the offside decision was overturned and the goal stood. It took about a minute.

The penalty decision in the Portugal game however...

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 26 Jun 2018, 9:24 am

VAR seems to have worked in that the referee is no longer surrounded by players futilely haranguing and barging him to change a decision which was final and irrevocable anyway.

However

VAR doesn't seem to have worked as the referee is constantly surrounded by players haranguing and barging him to look at the telly to change a decision which is now nothing like final.

The good is good when it works and works quickly, but IMO diving and play acting is worse than ever with RPM* through the roof.

*Rolls Per Minute

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 26 Jun 2018, 1:42 pm

VAR is getting better, and in time will just seem totally normal. Like hawk eye in tennis and video refs in rugby. When it gets a bit slicker and they shave some time off the process we will have a system that hopefully means more correct decisions. And by products like players not doing WWE at corners.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 26 Jun 2018, 9:08 pm

Great game again, not the result I wanted but entertaining stuff.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 26 Jun 2018, 9:42 pm

Diggers wrote:Great game again, not the result I wanted but entertaining stuff.
Even Maradona woke up...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 27 Jun 2018, 8:06 am

Laugh
https://youtu.be/_YZ7ZZihHHI

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 27 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

McLaren wrote:VAR is getting better, and in time will just seem totally normal. Like hawk eye in tennis and video refs in rugby. When it gets a bit slicker and they shave some time off the process we will have a system that hopefully means more correct decisions. And by products like players not doing WWE at corners.

Agree with all of this. Defenders have become accustomed to committing fouls at set pieces, it will take a long time for them to adjust their style.

I think overall VAR has made a positive contribution to the tournament so far. Of course it's not perfect and there have been some debatable decisions but it seems to be working.

Only problem with this world cup has been the play acting. Was very glad to see the back of Iran, they brought nothing to the competition other than fouling, diving and cheating.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next