The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS LANCASHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS LANCASHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS LANCASHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 18 Aug 2018, 4:35 pm

Surrey have named a 15 Man Squad for the specsavers county championship game against Lancashire.
Following England duty, Sam Curran returns to the Surrey squad to face Lancashire as County Championship cricket returns to the Kia Oval.  Very Happy
Sam Curran, who has recently enjoyed a successful spell with the England Test side, rejoins the squad alongside brother Tom Curran who missed red ball cricket at the start of the year due to his involvement in the IPL.
Aaron Finch, who was in unstoppable form in the Vitality Blast this summer, will play his last game for the club  Sad
All-rounder Scott Borthwick sustained a wrist injury in training earlier this week for which he has since undergone a successful operation. Unfortunately, his injury rules him out for the rest of the season, and therefore he is not included in the Surrey squad.  Sad  Sad  Sad
Sadly Jason Roy will miss this game at least thanks to his own stupidity  Rolling Eyes
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Gareth Batty
Rikki Clarke
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Jade Dernbach
Aaron Finch
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Will Jacks
Stuart Meaker
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
Maybe Batty, Jacks, Harinath  and Meaker to miss out
Hard to call as it would mean baby face  Clarke and TC at 6,7,8 in the order would that make the tail too long?
Do we have Jacks at 6 and leave TC out decisions decisions
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS LANCASHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS LANCASHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2018, 6:23 pm

Thanks Jimbob! Hard to call indeed.

I'm assuming that we will go with 5 front line bowlers. I take this to be Sam Curran, Rikki Clarke, Morkel, a spinner (presumably Virdi). Which would mean choosing one from Tom Curran, Dernbach and Meaker. I guess TC will get the nod if they think that by now he's firing properly.

The four most likely to miss out I think are a spinner (probably Batty), probably Dernbach and Meaker (unless one plays instead of TC), and Harinath. That would mean Jacks at no 6 and a decent lower middle order of Sam Curran, Clarke and Tom Curran at 7, 8, 9.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS LANCASHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS LANCASHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 18 Aug 2018, 8:44 pm

Agree with Corporal’s lineup - any other XI imo either leaves us too short on bowling or too short on batting. Harsh on Dernbach, but imo what’s needed
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Sun 19 Aug 2018, 12:00 am

I think Stewie rates Sam Curran's batting more highly than that of Jacks so I think Sam will bat at six.

Can't see them leaving out Jade especially with the possibility of bowling under lights where the ball may do a bit so I think we'll field five seamers plus one spinner, probably Virdi.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Harinath might get the number three spot ahead of Patel. Arun has been outscoring Ryan in most second eleven innings this season and Patel's bowling probably wouldn't be used.

So I'll guess at the four disappointed players will be Jacks, Meaker, Patel and Batty but it's literally anyone's guess.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:06 pm

Batty Jacks Meaker and TC miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:10 pm

surrey win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:44 pm

third degree gone Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:51 pm

rocky gone dreadful start Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Aug 2018, 2:08 pm

Swing and seam - not sure why both sides wanted to bat! Very muggy here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 3:51 pm

silly from burns to choose to bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 4:45 pm

Clarke run out day just gets worse mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Aug 2018, 4:51 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Clarke run out day just gets worse mad

Patel has had a shocker there - absolutely stitched Clarke up! And now he’s out too...

Very poor batting from Surrey. Lancs have bowled excellently
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Aug 2018, 5:45 pm

Crucial runs from Morkel and Dernbach - also took quite a few overs out of the day, which means Lancs will now be batting with fading natural light and the floodlights beginning to take over
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 5:47 pm

a 50 partnership for the 10th wkt Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Aug 2018, 7:30 pm

Chanderpaul just nicked off, I can hear it in the stands, umpire stands there like a lemon and doesn’t give it - after he’s just spent five minutes complaining about the sun being in his eyes.

Just woeful
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 8:06 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Chanderpaul just nicked off, I can hear it in the stands, umpire stands there like a lemon and doesn’t give it - after he’s just spent five minutes complaining about the sun being in his eyes.

Just woeful
steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2018, 9:37 pm

full report from olly coming up shortly OK

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Aug 2018, 10:28 pm

Pretty even first day for me, Surrey slightly ahead with Vilas gone.

Surrey’s batting was poor. Burns, Stoneman and Harinath all with loose shots. Finch, Foakes and Curran all got good ones. The Clarke run out was a complete shambles. Considering we gifted them four wickets making 211 was ok - and gives me hope for the second dig where hopefully we show better concentration and decision making. Thought Bailey and Parkinson were easily the best Lancs bowlers, Onions very off colour

As for with the ball, Surrey were very good and this Lancs batting line up is very fragile. Dernbach off injured is a worry, albeit we do have Patel as a backup seamer if required.

Pink ball did a bit, but it wasn’t hooping round corners. Some seam movement off the pitch and I noted some indifferent bounce as the day went on, which may explain why both teams wanted to bat first - as it’ll only get worse as we go on.

Intriguing day ahead tomorrow!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:38 pm

Just returned from Oval.  Had to leave just before that late cluster of three wickets, which obviously puts us right back in the game. Before then Vilas and Chanderpaul were looking increasingly comfortable.

Sam Curran batted stylishly and was also pretty unlucky with his bowling, beating the bat on numerous occasions and being at the wrong end of a contentious decision.  Finch got his head down and it was a bit of a surprise when he fell to Parkinson (who looked more threatening than Virdi).  Most of the Surrey batting was poor to average. Awful run out.  But at least Dernbach and Morkel provided some entertainment.  Hope that Morkel can produce a wicket-taking burst first thing in the morning so that Lancs don't chisel out a first innings lead.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Mon 20 Aug 2018, 12:00 am

Enjoyable day at the Oval today, aided by good company courtesy of the Corporal and the beer festival! Not sure about these day night matches when you have to get back to Chichester by Southern Rail on a Sunday night...which meant we had to leave early and missed the last 3 Lancs wickets that fell toward the end....some excellent slip catching by both sides, in stark contrast to the test match. Morkel was excellent, as was Curran...his figures do not do him justice. A strange pitch really...and couldn’t quite work out how much was due to excellent bowling by both teams or poor batting, equally by both teams...with the notable exceptions of Dernbach and Morkel, which was the Surrey batting highlight!

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 20 Aug 2018, 8:18 am

chichestersurreyfan wrote:Enjoyable day at the Oval today, aided by good company courtesy of the Corporal and the beer festival! Not sure about these day night matches when you have to get back to Chichester by Southern Rail on a Sunday night...which meant we had to leave early and missed the last 3 Lancs wickets that fell toward the end....some excellent slip catching by both sides, in stark contrast to the test match. Morkel was excellent, as was Curran...his figures do not do him justice. A strange pitch really...and couldn’t quite work out how much was due to excellent bowling by both teams or poor batting, equally by both teams...with the notable exceptions of Dernbach and Morkel, which was the Surrey batting highlight!

Chichester - spot on there. I should have mentioned the beer, and of course the company, as excellent! The attendance, overall, I'd say was not too bad, but not that brilliant considering weather was good and there had been no cc matches for some while. But crowd size fell away well quite early in the last session - rather negating the point of day/night cc cricket. I could imagine that if match was at an interesting state you could get quite a lot of people coming in after work on a week day, not least as it's free entry from 1800.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 20 Aug 2018, 2:13 pm

Not a lot happening for the seamers, but Virdi has just had Bohannon put down at short leg off his 2nd over - should have been taken, think it was Jacks on for Dernbach who was under the helmet
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 20 Aug 2018, 3:43 pm

game starting to slip away Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 20 Aug 2018, 5:03 pm

Virdi and Patel finally wrap up the Lancs innings.  Good to see Patel take a wicket in his short spell - interesting to see whether he becomes a regular part of Surrey's bowling line up.  Steady start to reply by Surrey. 21-0.  Onions getting some movement off the pitch. Just turned on the live stream - the quality has improved at lot since I last watched the stream for an Oval match.

Somerset well on top against Essex, so now is the time for Surrey really to bat long and set an imposing target.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 20 Aug 2018, 6:10 pm

Another needless runout - this time of Harinath. picard Just when Surrey were starting to build their innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 20 Aug 2018, 6:12 pm

steam steam steam furious furious furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Mon 20 Aug 2018, 6:31 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:steam steam steam furious furious furious

Couldn’t have put that better myself!!

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Mon 20 Aug 2018, 8:52 pm

Good fighback by Surrey under the lights....Lead now over 160 with 6wickets left....If we can get a lead of over 250.... we might just be able to win this...but still a long way to go.Sam Curran looked very classy, the bit I saw on the streaming....

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 20 Aug 2018, 9:21 pm

That useful partnership of 37* this evening has just about made the match level again. Looking at the way the pitch was playing (via the excellent live stream) I would think we're going to need a fair few more runs tomorrow before Surrey could be regarded as favourites to win.  Agree with Chichester that Sam Curran does have a very classy batting style - and he certainly likes to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Let's hope that he can cash in and get the really big score that has so far eluded him in his career.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 20 Aug 2018, 10:12 pm

That was a bloody good days cricket - hard fought and I think Surrey are just slightly ahead at the end of it.

Bohannon batted well this morning, but fair play to Virdi who bowled much better today and picked up two deserved scalps.

Stoneman and Harinath rather gifted their wickets, but another good effort by Burns and from Finch too (who to me is clearly carrying a hamstring niggle - didn’t run hard at all).

The crucial moment of the day was however the drop of Burns on 44. Foakes just in on 0, lovely ball from Onions, one of the easier slip catches you’ll see shelled by Croft. This allowed Burns and Foakes to take another hour out of the day, and thus negate the effect “under lights” for Lancs. Curran got a little lucky, but kept the scoreboard ticking and is still there!

For me surrey just ahead - there is something in the pitch for all bowlers, as evidenced by the fact many have “got in”, but nobody has gone on to make that match defining hundred yet. Anything over 250 will be a very very tough chase. Surrey need to not only get runs, but also bat time so they’re taking the new ball in the final session of the day under lights, when more will happen.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 20 Aug 2018, 10:25 pm

finch lbw decision was a joke

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Aug 2018, 2:57 pm

Lancs bowling well in the first session. Curran out early. Foakes dismissed by a very good ball. Patel very patient but eventually played on trying a forcing shot. Rikki Clarke dropped by Chanderpaul at the start of his innings. 241 - 7 with the lead only 205. Lancs on top but Surrey still have a chance.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Aug 2018, 3:13 pm

Clarke LBW to Onions in first over with new ball. Played all around that one. Lead 218. Lancs clear favourites. Could do with another 50 partnership from this pair. Can't see that's very likely against the new ball!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Aug 2018, 3:35 pm

278 - 8 at lunch. Lead 242. Another useful partnership of 24* between Morkel and Dernbach. Plenty of playing and missing but also some very sensible shots, eg watching for attempted slower balls and steering them away for a single. With Dernbach on 17* following his 31 in first innings, I'm guessing this may well be his second highest aggregate match score for Surrey.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 21 Aug 2018, 3:48 pm

I wouldn’t say Lancs are on top here, would call it very even at the moment - they’re going to need to beat their first innings total, and likely will have a spell under lights tonight too.

A very interesting game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Aug 2018, 4:35 pm

Another 50 partnership by Morkel and Dernbach. clap clap Very valuable runs. Merkel finally out and with barely a pause for breath Virdi follows him straight back into pavillion. Rolling Eyes Dernbach left 24* clap clap Lancs need 271 to win. Very evenly poised.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 21 Aug 2018, 4:56 pm

virdi needs to be dropped mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 21 Aug 2018, 5:27 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:virdi needs to be dropped mad mad mad

Wicket with his 2nd ball...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 21 Aug 2018, 5:31 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:virdi needs to be dropped mad mad mad

Wicket with his 2nd ball...
unless he gets all 10 I don't care steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Tue 21 Aug 2018, 6:06 pm

Lancs ahead but Morkel just got a wicket...still think Surrey just have a chance here...but Lancs in the box seat....one bit of positive news...Essex 130-1....could they pull off an amazing win at Somerset?

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 21 Aug 2018, 6:43 pm

Lancashire with the best conditions for batting mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Tue 21 Aug 2018, 7:00 pm

Vilas gone, LBW....interesting...whatever happens, a great game of cricket!

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 21 Aug 2018, 7:08 pm

Virdi gets Shiv - he’s bowling really nicely here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:08 pm

game lost need Essex to do us a favour now Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:19 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:game lost need Essex to do us a favour now Fingers Crossed

You may be right, Jimbob, but I think that is a bit premature to say that...an early wicket tomorrow might change things...but it does feel that Surrey have just been one step behind Lancashire for most of the match...it really stems from the poor batting performance in the first innings with 1or 2 notable exceptions..I would not be criticising Dernbach or Morkel’s batting in both innings... Anyway, having seen Day 1and following a tiny bit of the streaming, it really has been a cracking match...

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:04 am

Yeah I would say Lancs are favourites now - but all is not lost yet. Two quick wickets and Surrey are back in the drivers seat.

Also Surrey should get a few overs with a new ball, which could be crucial especially if at that point the tail are in.

As Chichester says it’s been a cracking game!

Also should be noted, Dernbach is injured, Finch wasn’t fielding yesterday and Jacks got a horrible knock to his hand at short leg. Oh and Sam Curran went off for some treatment at one point too - very much the walking wounded at the moment!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:18 am

It could be a very big day in the Championship race today. If Somerset better our result they are right back in it in my opinion although we will still be in a good position.

I think we missed Dernbach's bowling yesterday. He has had in my opinion his best season with the red ball and, even though he doesn't run through batting line ups, he seems to have been able to chip in with vital wickets

I have a feeling Burns will finally get the nod for the remaining two Test matches leaving us very, very thin on batting even though Elgar will be back. Sam must be in with a chance of being recalled too. The squad is certainly being tested. I assume TC will get a game if Jade has to miss the next one.

A Surrey win today would be very handy and just this once I'll be hoping for an Essex win too.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 22 Aug 2018, 2:33 pm

Morkel gets the two overnight batsmen, then Stoneman puts down Mennie in the next over off Virdi - how crucial could that drop be??

Great game here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 22 Aug 2018, 3:09 pm

Bloody onions steam steam steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 22 Aug 2018, 3:14 pm

Someone watching on the stream, is there any reason why they haven’t taken the new ball? I’m absolutely perplexed here at the ground!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next