The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England?

+52
WELL-PAST-IT
Not grey and not a ghost
mikey_dragon
Yoda
Geordie
tigertattie
Heaf
TightHEAD
TrailApe
Pal Joey
stub
doctor_grey
Scottrf
Pie
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Biltong
Rugby Fan
Golden
LondonTiger
robbo277
LordDowlais
asoreleftshoulder
westisbest
neilthom7
carpet baboon
Engine#4
Duty281
Sin é
Ninjarugby
theslosty
thebandwagonsociety
Artful_Dodger
Maine man
majesticimperialman
LeinsterFan4life
The Great Aukster
Cyril
No 7&1/2
BamBam
marty2086
rodders
profitius
Brendan
Taylorman
GunsGermsV2
SecretFly
Geen sport voor watjes
eirebilly
Pete330v2
Collapse2005
Pot Hale
56 posters

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England? - Page 4 Empty Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England?

Post by Pot Hale Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Italy 3 Nov - Chicago - Ireland 54-7
Argentina 10 Nov Dublin - 28-17
New Zealand 17 Nov Dublin 16-9
USA 24 Nov Dublin - 52-14

November Total - 150-47

Frontrowers
Rory Best 112 (c)
Rob Herring 6
Sean Cronin 63
Niall Scannell 10

Tadhg Furlong 26
Andrew Porter 9
John Ryan 15

Finlay Bealham 8
Cian Healy 81
Dave Kilcoyne 23
Jack McGrath 51

Locks
Tadhg Beirne 3
Iain Henderson 40 USA
Quinn Roux 7
James Ryan 11
Devin Toner 61

Backrowers

Dan Leavy 10
Josh van der Flier 11
Jordi Murphy 23
Sean O’Brien 51
Peter O’Mahony 50 (vc)
Rhys Ruddock 20
Jack Conan 10
CJ Stander 26

Scrumhalves
John Cooney 3
Kieran Marmion 22
Luke McGrath 6

10s
Jonathan Sexton 76 (vc)
Ross Byrne 2
Joey Carbery 14

Centres
Garry Ringrose 15
Robbie Henshaw 36
Will Addison 2
Bundee Aki 10
Sam Arnold 1
Stuart McCloskey 3

Back three
Andrew Conway 8
Keith Earls 70
Rob Kearney 86
Jordan Larmour 7
Jacob Stockdale 12
Darren Sweetnam 3

Last edited by Pot Hale on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:08 pm; edited 14 times in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England? - Page 4 Empty Re: Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England?

Post by Collapse2005 Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Pot Hale wrote:So who do people think make the 23 against Argentina?

Mainly those that didn’t play against Italy?

Healy, Best, Furlong
Ryan, Henderson
SOB, POM, Stander

Marmion, Carbery
McCloskey, Henshaw
Earls, Conway, Addison/Sweetnam

Herring, Kilcoyne, Ryan, Toner, Leavy, Cooney, Sexton, Sweetnam/Addison

I reckon Sexton will play. I wonder will Schmidt be tempted to pick Larmour again at FB with Earls and Conway on the wings.

Its actually kind of hard to predict the starting 15 when there are so many decent options.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England? - Page 4 Empty Re: Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England?

Post by Maine man Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:29 pm

With the emergence of Beirne and O'Mahoney a certain at 6, could this spell the end or reliance of Toner? If O'Mahoney starts, he adds to the line out among other things, so in theory you could have any 2 of Henderson, Ryan or Beirne starting with one on the bench alongside a backrower on the bench too. I would like to see 4. Ryan 5. Beirne 6. O'Mahoney 7. Leavy 8. Stander 19. Henderson 20. O'Brien.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Is Marmion in the squad??

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:59 pm

O'Mahony is close to undroppable atm for me, if there's a better defensive lineout jumper in world rugby then please show me. He was relatively low key in the Grand Slam but was a massive performer in the Australia series.

For all this talk about Toner being Schmidt's man for the big games, some are forgetting it was Henderson and Ryan who were selected for the Twickenham game. I think Schmidt will stick with that duo for now although Beirne is a really exciting option.

I'd be against parachuting SOB back into the XV unless he can really prove he's still world class. When we have two young 7s playing so well this year I don't think we should be bringing back older players purely on their reputation.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:00 pm

rodders wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
rodders wrote:I think we'll put a real beating on them myself, I think they are in for a shock and will wish they were back in soldier field come 80min.

They've managed to get off the hook a few times in the rugby championship but I think the world order is going to shift in 2 weeks time wait and see.

Love the confidence Rodders. I definitely believe Ireland's pack is now stronger than New Zealand's and pretty much everyone's. Front row, back row and second row depth is very tasty. We could actually field two completely different packs that could compete with the ABs now.

The game can go lots of different ways. I cant wait, tickets secured.

I mean look you have to respect the ABs, they're ability to absorb pressure and come out the end of the game with more points on the board than the opposition is unreal. Over the past 18 months or so I think this is it what sets them apart more so than being superior than their opponents.

This is there first time I can remember where I would look at our two sides and feel we have a genuine chance of beating them rather than just shutting them down and hoping for a bit of luck.

The way the fixtures have fallen I think we have a super chance to back up the Soldier field victory and to be honest don't see us needing to do anything special to do it, just show up and bring our 'a' game.

Post Chicago the likes of Furlong. Sexton, O'Brien and Murray were all key men for the the Lions so I don't feel they have the mental edge they once did either so I really feel good about this one.      

You have got to be joking about the front row? Surely. Talk about us not following NH rugby. Irelabd will not beat this AB pack up front. The current pack is possibly the best weve been able to assemble at one time, in terms of availability and readiness for an AI’s.

You see this is again where Ireland fans and possibly the side just dont get what it takes to dominate world rugby. Because theyve never done it. The ABs eat this stuff up for breakfast. Theyve been told for a year that either or both of England and Ireland are going to knock the ABs off. With that much warning they get to prepare and when an AB side gets to prepare this well for sides its been told are going to beat them, things happen.

And things will happen in these two matches that will make you revise everything youve just been discussing over the last few weeks. You cant just compare who theyve played separately. NZ have and targted these two matches big time. I dont care about humility or saying the right things. Ive seen this scenario twenty thirty forty times before and even they pale compared to the prep and injury free state this team finds itself in.

I dont care if Im wrong either, weve gotten used to losing the odd unimportant match, which these are in the context of the Bled, RC and mostly the world cup. This year Hansen has decided to give them a higher prio.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Irelands pack has dominated NZs pack in all recent match ups now. We have got your number in the forwards.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:37 pm

rodders wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
rodders wrote:I think we'll put a real beating on them myself, I think they are in for a shock and will wish they were back in soldier field come 80min.

They've managed to get off the hook a few times in the rugby championship but I think the world order is going to shift in 2 weeks time wait and see.

Love the confidence Rodders. I definitely believe Ireland's pack is now stronger than New Zealand's and pretty much everyone's. Front row, back row and second row depth is very tasty. We could actually field two completely different packs that could compete with the ABs now.

I mean look you have to respect the ABs, they're ability to absorb pressure and come out the end of the game with more points on the board than the opposition is unreal. Over the past 18 months or so I think this is it what sets them apart more so than being superior than their opponents.

This is there first time I can remember where I would look at our two sides and feel we have a genuine chance of beating them rather than just shutting them down and hoping for a bit of luck.

The way the fixtures have fallen I think we have a super chance to back up the Soldier field victory and to be honest don't see us needing to do anything special to do it, just show up and bring our 'a' game.

Post Chicago the likes of Furlong. Sexton, O'Brien and Murray were all key men for the the Lions so I don't feel they have the mental edge they once did either so I really feel good about this one.      

Do you think the AB prep for this is the same as for Chicago? Chicago memories need to be completely removed as this is nothing like it. Clinging to the only win like that is exactly how youll miss the analysis required for this match.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Ha Taylorman you are obsessed with the Chi town game. Let it go.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Irelands pack has dominated NZs pack in all recent match ups now. We have got your number in the forwards.
They havent dominated the pack on this tour so tell me how relevant that comment is? As relevant as the ABs have Ireland in iver a century? And your idea of dominance is a little stretched. Your pack got beaten up last match, where you lost. This team is far superior. Not so sure Irelands is, recent losses and narrow wins.

Last edited by Taylorman on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Taylorman wrote:

I dont care if Im wrong either, weve gotten used to losing the odd unimportant match, which these are in the context of the Bled, RC and mostly the world cup. This year Hansen has decided to give them a higher prio.

So you're going to be proven right regardless of results

............... hmm...................... you sure you have no Irish in you, Taylor? Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Thats true but the personnel are the same. The Irish pack will be licking their chops going in to this one. Lol no the Irish pack definitely didnt get beaten up.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

............... hmm...................... you sure you have no Irish in you, Taylor? Whistle

Two different things. I just cant be bothered with those who will go on and on about my prediction if we lose. Sure we could lose, but the pre match analysis done correctly, says we shouldnt.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Thats true but the personnel are the same. The Irish pack will be licking their chops going in to this one. Lol no the Irish pack definitely didnt get beaten up.
well someone was, the moaning didnt stop for weeks. Or was it the groaning?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Youve lost me

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Ireland players and fans definitely think they have a wet sail behind them with some of the things I’m reading. We even have a no-name Irish rookie thinking they only need to ‘turn up’ to beat the ABs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 pm

ebop wrote:Ireland players and fans definitely think they have a wet sail behind them with some of the things I’m reading. We even have a no-name Irish rookie thinking they only need to ‘turn up’ to beat the ABs.

Isnt confidence in oneself a great thing

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
ebop wrote:Ireland players and fans definitely think they have a wet sail behind them with some of the things I’m reading. We even have a no-name Irish rookie thinking they only need to ‘turn up’ to beat the ABs.

Isnt confidence in oneself a great thing

Yes its great, done correctly.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 pm

Taylorman wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Two different things. I just cant be bothered with those who will go on and on about my prediction if we lose. Sure we could lose, but the pre match analysis done correctly, says we shouldnt.

Irish team will...as always...have an uphill fight to get a win.  Without a shadow of a doubt.  

It'll be the toughest game of their year IF the All Blacks play to the top of their game.  And who the hell would bet on them coming in below par for that game.  They of course want to put Ireland back in their box.  They want to make a statement against the new kid pretenders on the block.

We all get that dynamic...we all know the score.  If ABs get a good footing they'll want to humiliate.  It might happen.  They're that good.

But..............Ireland could win.... and they could win with a space of 10 to 14 points.  It's possible.  With other teams that ABs would meet, that's an impossibility.  But this Irish side really do play a good game..... and that's from a long time critic of Ireland's play and Joe's strategies.  They have proven they are now a different beast.  But yeah, Ireland could lose.  Wouldn't be a shock against such a quality side.  But so be it - we're also on a journey towards the WC.  We have our own building process going on.  A loss won't be the end of the world.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Anyway, the serious stuff starts at the weekend. We'll know how the true form is for both sides.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 pm

SecretFly wrote:Anyway, the serious stuff starts at the weekend.  We'll know how the true form is for both sides.

Indeed - anyway as I was saying, who do we think will play this weekend against Argentina?

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Irish team will...as always...have an uphill fight to get a win.  Without a shadow of a doubt.  

It'll be the toughest game of their year IF the All Blacks play to the top of their game.  And who the hell would bet on them coming in below par for that game.  They of course want to put Ireland back in their box.  They want to make a statement against the new kid pretenders on the block.

We all get that dynamic...we all know the score.  If ABs get a good footing they'll want to humiliate.  It might happen.  They're that good.

But..............Ireland could win.... and they could win with a space of 10 to 14 points.  It's possible.  With other teams that ABs would meet, that's an impossibility.  But this Irish side really do play a good game..... and that's from a long time critic of Ireland's play and Joe's strategies.  They have proven they are now a different beast.  But yeah, Ireland could lose.  Wouldn't be a shock against such a quality side.  But so be it - we're also on a journey towards the WC.  We have our own building process going on.  A loss won't be the end of the world.

Yes Fly exactly my take on it. Going for the AB's is the level of priority they give a match. Theyve given this plenty, and theyve been very (very) lucky with returning injuries. Several key players have rested while rehabilitating, so theres more of a freshness to the side this time of year that we certainly didnt have say, last year.

Add the world cup on it for both and we have a practice pistols at dawn scenario. Shoot fast and straight, and anything can happen.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 pm

So - how about them Pumas eh?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Pot Hale wrote:So - how about them Pumas eh?

The Pumas?

Oh they're shyte.

We're going to smash them easily. Marmalise them even.

SHUT IT YOU!!!

Sorry, folks, Larmour hacked my account there for a sec, the basterde.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:03 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:So - how about them Pumas eh?

The Pumas?

Oh they're shyte.

We're going to smash them easily.  Marmalise them even.

SHUT IT YOU!!!

Sorry, folks, Larmour hacked my account there for a sec, the basterde.

laughing Hug classic.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:39 am

SecretFly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

That's how I see it too. Ireland might do everything right and even if NZ are not at their best, they have the talent to score something like 3 tries in 10 minutes. They have a knockout punch.

I'm leaning towards an Ireland win because NZ are nearing the end of their season and they have a big game against England the week before and I just think the Irish players are confident these days and are not lacking belief plus Ireland are very awkward to play against and don't give away many cheap opportunities, usually.

Leaving aside the result, I'm also looking forward to see how some of the younger players get on against the blicks. James Ryan, Stockdale, Ringrose etc.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:13 am

Taylorman wrote:
rodders wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Do you think the AB prep for this is the same as for Chicago? Chicago memories need to be completely removed as this is nothing like it. Clinging to the only win like that is exactly how youll miss the analysis required for this match.

To me it doesn't really matter how the ABs prep for the game as this Ireland team are good enough to beat them. I think playing Japan and then going to Twickenham is not going to help them though.

If they ABs get through this Autumn series unbeaten then they are head and shoulders ahead of all the other teams for sure but I don't think they will. If you look at how much a fairly average SA side pushed them in the rugby championship it shows they are far from unbeatable at the minute.

From an Irish perspective I'm probably more concerned about the Puma's as if we are looking past that they could turn us over.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:25 am

rodders wrote:

From an Irish perspective I'm probably more concerned about the Puma's as if we are looking past that they could turn us over.

That's my gut feelings too.... we could get caught thinking about one game whilst playing another. Now, the reassuring thing is that such a process has happened to us often enough for Schmidt and his coaches (including Farrell - it happened to his English boys too) to be ultra cautious about ensuring the mind-sets are right - they'll have laid it on strong that each and every game needs 100% mental attention in its own right.

If we get caught out by Argentina then we'll have to throw our hands up and just say we still haven't learned enough about focus on the one game at a time strategy

or.........................

Argentina will simply prove they are better than us on the day. That could happen too. But yep, I'm cautious this AI season that Ireland don't let an inch of complacency into their thought processes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:26 am

profitius wrote:
That's how I see it too. Ireland might do everything right and even if NZ are not at their best, they have the talent to score something like 3 tries in 10 minutes. They have a knockout punch.

That's true but if you look at when these are scored they predominately do it in the periods before and after half time when the opposition tend to switch off and in the last 5 minutes when they tire.

The difference between Ireland and the other top tier opposition they are used to facing is now Ireland are also very strong in these periods. We'll continue to play to the whistle and we have the fitness and bench to finish strongly.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:38 am

If we cant beat this Argentina side we should forget about it. They are an amazing attacking side but capitulate very easily. Irelands game plan to hammer away at teams until they give up should suffice. They have never won v Ireland in Dublin, anything is possible but I reckon a 10-15 point Ireland win is more likely.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:06 am

Argentina should not be taken lightly, they are a much better side than many on here give them credit. They put in some very good performances recently and should by no means be underestimated.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:15 am

eirebilly wrote:Argentina should not be taken lightly, they are a much better side than many on here give them credit. They put in some very good performances recently and should by no means be underestimated.

That's not really what most people have been saying though, billy. Only Larmour said they were shyte.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 am

eirebilly wrote:Argentina should not be taken lightly, they are a much better side than many on here give them credit. They put in some very good performances recently and should by no means be underestimated.

I know where you are coming from as they got good wins at home v SA and away to Australia however, don't think their last rugby championship match was a good performance at all really. To be leading 31-7 in the first half and then concede 38 points in the second half is dreadful.

Yep Argentina are probably one of the best try scoring sides around at the moment but we really should be winning games like this at home especially given we have only lost about 4 games at home under Schmidt, Australia, NZ and Wales. Something like that.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:37 am

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/jordan-larmour-comes-agonisignly-close-breaking-time-record-italy-183840

245 metres for Larmour is fairly unreal.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 am

Collapse2005 wrote:https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/jordan-larmour-comes-agonisignly-close-breaking-time-record-italy-183840

245 metres for Larmour is fairly unreal.

If improvement is his lot over the next few years (hoping he steers clear of big injuries) then yep, he's some player in the making. Some of those stalls and feints don't come from anything remotely planned by him...it's just instinct for space that operates before his brain realises it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:42 pm

rodders wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
rodders wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

I think playing Japan and then going to Twickenham is not going to help them though.

Huh? The ABs playing this week didnt play Japan. They wete in London while the Japan match was on. The whole point was to avoid exactly the concern you have, and they have. 9 from the Japan squad have joined them to make 32 but of them only a couple might make the England or Ireland match. Coles, Mo’unga and maybe one other.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Sounds a bit all over the place

Will the ABs be taking many selfies when in Dublin?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:59 pm

SecretFly wrote:

That's not really what most people have been saying though, billy.  Only Larmour said they were shyte.

In fairness though, their record outside the RC is really poor. Theyre terrible in the AI’s and even at home for non RC matches. They seem to only place the RC and World cup as primary matches. Theyre an oddly formed team with only one pro team...the Jaguars, many others playing in the NH. Whether they have trouble getting all their ideal squad together I dont know. For a side with no donestic league they do ok.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Who are the many others playing in the NH? There are a few max who might make the Argentina squad that arent already included in it.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Taylorman wrote:
rodders wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
rodders wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

I think playing Japan and then going to Twickenham is not going to help them though.

Huh? The ABs playing this week didnt play Japan. They wete in London while the Japan match was on. The whole point was to avoid exactly the concern you have, and they have. 9 from the Japan squad have joined them to make 32 but of them only a couple might make the England or Ireland match. Coles, Mo’unga and maybe one other.

Fair enough, sounds like they've mitigated for the extra game and travel but it's still a tough schedule after a long season.

England might be average enough but they are still very physical so it won't be an easy one to win. Then to back that up against Ireland, who should be starting to hit their stride is a big ask. I think the gap between the sides has closed a lot since 2016.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 pm

If Argentina win, will they go on the razz and steal a flag? ... but which one?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Whats that a reference to?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninjarugby Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Let's get the Argentina game over with. Not a bad way to warm up for what everybody in Ireland has been waiting for.
Let's hope for a really tough 60 and a strong finish. Plenty of chances to get more match fitness in and experience.

NZ are not the only team that can prepare for this massive game. I seem to remember Ireland planning for years to face Aus in WC 2011 and look what happened there. Unfortunately they forgot to prepare for Wales.
Onward 4 years and we lost the Argentina game during the France game.
Schmit has learnt his lesson and I think Ireland are not a one off team anymore.

Furlong, Sexton, Murrey seem to have decent recent records against the AB's.
POM/SOB have a big point to prove. They should be up for it.

Add to that the winning mentality that came from last year with Leinster, Ireland, add in POM, Bernie, Best, Henderson, Stander, Aki and more experience form the younger guys, Leavy, Lamour, Ryan, Carbery ......

Not a bad thing to be confidant.

My though is that Ireland beat NZ in Chicago because of what happened in 2013. They kept attacking and Henshaw drove in the final Nail in the coffin.

This is where we will see if this Ireland side is good enough to play a 6th match in a WC.
I think they are.

Ninjarugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Ninjarugby wrote:Let's get the Argentina game over with. Not a bad way to warm up for what everybody in Ireland has been waiting for.
Let's hope for a really tough 60 and a strong finish. Plenty of chances to get more match fitness in and experience.

NZ are not the only team that can prepare for this massive game. I seem to remember Ireland planning for years to face Aus in WC 2011 and look what happened there. Unfortunately they forgot to prepare for Wales.
Schmit has learnt his lesson and I think Ireland are not a one off team anymore.

Add to that the winning mentality that came from last year with Leinster, Ireland, add in POM, Bernie, Best, Henderson, Stander, Aki and more experience form the younger guys, Leavy, Lamour, Ryan, Carbery ......

My though is that Ireland beat NZ in Chicago because of what happened in 2013. They kept attacking and Henshaw drove in the final Nail in the coffin.

This is where we will see if this Ireland side is good enough to play a 6th match in a WC.
I think they are.

SOB has won v the ABs but I don't think POM has ever won a game v the ABs so I would say he has much more to prove.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninjarugby Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Ninjarugby wrote:Let's get the Argentina game over with. Not a bad way to warm up for what everybody in Ireland has been waiting for.

I think they are.

SOB has won v the ABs but I don't think POM has ever won a game v the ABs so I would say he has much more to prove.

Not with Ireland...
I'm guessing and hoping a win in an Irish jersey would mean more than a win in a Lions one.

Ninjarugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Yeah probably alright.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninjarugby Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Yeah probably alright.

SOB will not get that many more cracks at NZ. Next Sat, (and that's not for sure, Leavy/VdF might have a say) and maybe next year. At the rate back rowers are being produced and with his recent injury rate I don't think he'll be in the Ireland set-up after 2019.
POM will have a few more chances.

That said beating the AB's in the Aviva wearing a green jersey in front of the Irish crowd for me is better than GS 2009 in Cardiff but that's my opinion.

Ninjarugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Yeah I would agree with that to be honest and I will be there so that will make it even better if we win.

Is SOB definitely going to start? JvDF has a 100% record v the ABs.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninjarugby Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Whoever starts/finishes at 7 has a big big job. As much as I love SOB is he the best inform open-side flanker available to start?
Fully fit yes and with the added experience.
Joe could pull out a surprise. Bernie/POM/Stander as opposed to POM/VdF/Stander.
Are Leavy, Ruddock, Jordi in the reckoning?

Ninjarugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Id say there will be at least one surprise. I would surprised if Sexton didn't start this game though.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Ninjarugby wrote:Whoever starts/finishes at 7 has a big big job. As much as I love SOB is he the best inform open-side flanker available to start?
Fully fit yes and with the added experience.
Joe could pull out a surprise. Bernie/POM/Stander as opposed to POM/VdF/Stander.
Are Leavy, Ruddock, Jordi in the reckoning?

Hope SOB does start, along with Tuilagi for England. Both have unfinished Business with the ABs, who dont forget. Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next