The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread

+48
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
Taylorman
Presuming Ed
Cyril
dummy_half
Fluxy
Barney McGrew did it
Sgt_Pooly
El Radar
EnglishReign
BigTrevsbigmac
bluestonevedder
johnpartle
stub
RDW
Irish Londoner
munkian
Pie
Scottrf
Exiledinborders
Yoda
mzan
mikey_dragon
Gooseberry
alcoombe
formerly known as Sam
carpet baboon
Poorfour
Collapse2005
propdavid_london
robbo277
Mr Bounce
yappysnap
hugehandoff
king_carlos
Geordie
rodders
TightHEAD
Sharkey06
Rugby Fan
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
Cumbrian
compelling and rich
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
LondonTiger
52 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 Jan 2019, 12:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fixtures

Ireland (a)
Saturday 2nd Feb, 16:45 - ITV

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 1: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant 2: Alexandre Ruiz (France)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand)

France (h)
Sunday 10th Feb, 15:00 - ITV

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant 1: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
Assistant 2: Brendon Pickerill (New Zealand)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand)

Wales (a)
Saturday 23rd Feb, 16:45 - BBC

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant 1: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 2: Alexandre Ruiz (France)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)

Italy (h)
Saturday 9th March, 16:45 - ITV

Referee: Nic Berry (Australia)
Assistant 1: Paul Williams (New Zealand)
Assistant 2: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)

Scotland (h)
Saturday 16th March, 17:00 - ITV

Referee: Paul Williams (New Zealand)
Assistant 1: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 2: Federico Anselmi (Argentina)
TMO: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)

Squad

For First & Second Tests:

Forwards
Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Ben Earl (Saracens) *, Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje  Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs), Brad Shields (Wasps), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors) *, Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)
Backs
Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Ollie Devoto (Exeter Chiefs), Owen Farrell (Saracens) captain, George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Dan Robson (Wasps) *, Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby) *, Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

*Uncapped

Players unavailable due to injury:  Piers Francis (Northampton Saints), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby).

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread

Post by Gooseberry Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:07 am

BamBam wrote:Jack Nowell could play openside according to Eddie...explains why we have so many back 3 players

I read this too. It was quite the interview!
But more as an 9th forward hybrid player, redefining the wing role, than actually playing in place of a flanker (something about Tom Croft Rolling Eyes )

Theres speculation he might just be trolling and trying to distract the oppositions thinking, but its something hes tried previously with Japan.

Hes also not taking the injured senior players to the training camp, choosing to focus is specifically on the next game and those players who have a chance of playing in it. So not a sign that Hartley and Robshaw are out of the picture once they are fit to play.

Overall the squad is closer to a first choice than it has been for a long time. Lets see how many they can get injured in the training camp.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:22 am

It's probably too late now, but for me the player with the best skill set to play 15 is May although his kicking game needs improvement. He is solid under the high ball, pretty good positionally these days, tackles well and on attack, that pace coming into the line in an unstructured manner or when he runs from deep against an disorganised defence could be devastating. All wingers in the modern game are semi full backs anyway, but if there was one England player I would not want running at me from deep it is Jonny May, especially on that long curving run he goes on to such effect
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:35 am

And Clive Woodward was all for moving May to 13 once upon a time.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 18 Jan 2019, 9:43 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:It's probably too late now, but for me the player with the best skill set to play 15 is May although his kicking game needs improvement. He is solid under the high ball, pretty good positionally these days, tackles well and on attack, that pace coming into the line in an unstructured manner or when he runs from deep against an disorganised defence could be devastating. All wingers in the modern game are semi full backs anyway, but if there was one England player I would not want running at me from deep it is Jonny May, especially on that long curving run he goes on to such effect

I thought that, he looks excellent under the highball. He is also quick enough to cover any flaws in positional play. I still think Nowell would make a good full back in the Brown battling mould, shame that Exeter have brought in Hogg and the test will not get off the ground.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 18 Jan 2019, 10:51 am

Cumbrian wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:It's probably too late now, but for me the player with the best skill set to play 15 is May although his kicking game needs improvement. He is solid under the high ball, pretty good positionally these days, tackles well and on attack, that pace coming into the line in an unstructured manner or when he runs from deep against an disorganised defence could be devastating. All wingers in the modern game are semi full backs anyway, but if there was one England player I would not want running at me from deep it is Jonny May, especially on that long curving run he goes on to such effect

I thought that, he looks excellent under the highball.  He is also quick enough to cover any flaws in positional play.  I still think Nowell would make a good full back in the Brown battling mould, shame that Exeter have brought in Hogg and the test will not get off the ground.

Was it a couple of years ago when Daly got red carded, May had the pace to cover both wings in both attack and defence. He was fielding high balls on both wings whilst, I think it was Brown covered the centre ground. Simply amazing on May's part.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 18 Jan 2019, 10:57 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:

I thought that, he looks excellent under the highball.  He is also quick enough to cover any flaws in positional play.  I still think Nowell would make a good full back in the Brown battling mould, shame that Exeter have brought in Hogg and the test will not get off the ground.

Was it a couple of years ago when Daly got red carded, May had the pace to cover both wings in both attack and defence. He was fielding high balls on both wings whilst, I think it was Brown covered the centre ground. Simply amazing on May's part.

Autumn international vs Argentina. One of his best displays

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 18 Jan 2019, 11:45 am

Agree with that. The only criticism you can level at May is that he's less physical than Brown, Nowell or Daly. But it would be good to see what he could do at fullback.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 18 Jan 2019, 11:59 am

lostinwales wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:

Autumn international vs Argentina. One of his best displays
It was the display that finally persuaded our dear departed friend of the Saracens parish that May was not a waste of space. Of course it was also the game where he memorably packed down in the back row after Marler I think was binned.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:45 pm

Joseph named in Bath's team to face Toulouse, so may come into contention later in teh 6Ns.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 18 Jan 2019, 1:41 pm

May could have a been a good full back, but at the moment in my opinion he is one of the best wingers in the world, so lets just leave him there doing what he is doing so well.

And yes when he packed down at flanker...one of the funny moments of rugby. he had hold of Makos leg!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 18 Jan 2019, 1:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:May could have a been a good full back, but at the moment in my opinion he is one of the best wingers in the world, so lets just leave him there doing what he is doing so well.

And yes when he packed down at flanker...one of the funny moments of rugby. he had hold of Makos leg!

He is good.

But he's no Stockdale

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 18 Jan 2019, 2:02 pm

Ah I dunno I think May is as good as Stockdale myself. They are probably the next Lions wingers.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 18 Jan 2019, 2:53 pm

Watson. Cokanasiga. Lions is easy for the next coach.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 18 Jan 2019, 3:03 pm

lostinwales wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Good squad that. I'll admit I dont see many games now but im surprised Sam James hasnt got a look in, he seems one of the form English centres this season.

Also I echo others that Daly should start on the wing with Brown at 15. Goode was humiliated by Irelands kicking game a few seasons back and it pretty much ended his Eng career, we dont want that for Daly.

Disagree on Goode for once. There was a very wet test where he actually played well - taking a lot of high balls and returning the favour with interest. It's just most of the other games where he looked so hopeless.

Was that 2013? Where we won like 6-12 in an all kick game. He did look out of sorts against Ireland in 2015, I believe. That's probably what the above refers to.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 18 Jan 2019, 3:04 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Watson. Cokanasiga. Lions is easy for the next coach.

Watson will be playing NFL by then.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 18 Jan 2019, 3:55 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Watson will be playing NFL by then.

It is an interesting point. If Wade does make it (and that is a big 'IF') there may well be a few more players targetted

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 19 Jan 2019, 7:35 am

Just thinking out loud. But so far under Eddie we've seen Farrell, Te'o, Daly, Nowell, Slade, Lozowski, Manu, Joseph, Burrell and Devoto all play in the centres. I mention this as some one also hoped to see Devoto and Daly play.

But with all this chopping and changing shouldn't we just stick with our tried and tested Ford/Farrell and another combo?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Jan 2019, 8:00 am

And Nowell at 7.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 19 Jan 2019, 8:26 am

How to distract media attention from any real questions masterclass from Jones!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 19 Jan 2019, 9:03 am

yappysnap wrote:Just thinking out loud. But so far under Eddie we've seen Farrell, Te'o, Daly, Nowell, Slade, Lozowski, Manu, Joseph, Burrell and Devoto all play in the centres. I mention this as some one also hoped to see Devoto and Daly play.

But with all this chopping and changing shouldn't we just stick with our tried and tested Ford/Farrell and another combo?

I'd say Ford/Farrell is the World Cup Plan B, and is possibly the game-closing option anyway. I think Jones will use this tournament to try out various combos. With 2 options at 12 (Te'o, Devoto) and 3 options at 13 (Slade, Tuilagi, Joseph), he has 6 combos to try and only 5 matches, not that rotating every option is the best option anyway.

I think he - quickly - has to decide between Te'o and Devoto. One should make the starting line-up, the other will probably not make the bench. And ultimately I believe one will make the World Cup and the other won't, so he needs to be decisive in this area and be prepared to give someone a bit of a run of games.

13 is slightly different. He could start Slade and bench Tuilagi, or vica versa. When Joseph comes back there will be a decision to make, but for the first couple of weeks anyway he can keep his focus on these guys.

Ford, Farrell, Slade, Tuilagi and Joseph make the world cup squad with me. I'd add a 12, probably Te'o, but Devoto could play his way in if given a chance. With Daly and Nowell covering centre (and back row) from the wing positions, 6 options in those 3 positions is probably sufficient.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by mzan Sat 19 Jan 2019, 10:53 am

Watson needs to be given a serious run at 15 post WC. We've got quality wings aplenty, of which, prior to injury, he was the one consistently playing 15 for club, and he's the best of them claiming aerially and picking lines from deep through traffic.

Come 2020, I'd be interested in a backline of:

Robson
Farrell
May
Devoto
Daly
Cokanasiga
Watson

23. Nowell

mzan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 19 Jan 2019, 1:43 pm

Farrell a late withdrawal for Sarries today and having a 'procedure' on his wrist. McCall described it as a 10 day injury.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 19 Jan 2019, 7:54 pm

mzan wrote:Watson needs to be given a serious run at 15 post WC.  We've got quality wings aplenty, of which, prior to injury, he was the one consistently playing 15 for club, and he's the best of them claiming aerially and picking lines from deep through traffic.

Come 2020, I'd be interested in a backline of:

Robson
Farrell
May
Devoto
Daly
Cokanasiga
Watson

23. Nowell

Manu being written off before 30? I'd take Manu over Daly at 13 every day of the week.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sat 19 Jan 2019, 7:54 pm

Having just seen the Exeter game romain garces for the Ireland match is going to make a difficult task even harder. Total free for all at breakdown players off their feet not supporting body weight just holding a player on the floor. Apparently this is OK and a genuine turn over. No communication when it's a ruck so hands away etc. As for the tackler rolling away non-existent. Bearing in mind Ireland are more savvy than than us this could be a huge problem.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 19 Jan 2019, 8:20 pm

Yoda wrote:Having just seen the Exeter game romain garces for the Ireland match is going to make a difficult task even harder. Total free for all at breakdown players off their feet not supporting body weight just holding a player on the floor. Apparently this is OK and a genuine turn over. No communication when it's a ruck so hands away etc. As for the tackler rolling away non-existent. Bearing in mind Ireland are more savvy than than us this could be a huge problem.

Luckily we'll have 9 forwards on the pitch so we'll be 13% better stocked at the breakdown.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sat 19 Jan 2019, 8:52 pm

Actually nowell looked great at the back at 15. Could be a very useful option there.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 19 Jan 2019, 9:40 pm

So Nowells going to play wing full back and flanker?
What could possibly go wrong.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sat 19 Jan 2019, 11:19 pm

As long as this year's six nations is better for England than last I don't care if he plays hooker and may plays in the back row again at least it would be funny!

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sat 19 Jan 2019, 11:28 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Farrell a late withdrawal for Sarries today and having a 'procedure' on his wrist. McCall described it as a 10 day injury.
If it was elective surgery the timing tells you something about Sarries' confidence about today's match.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Jan 2019, 4:25 pm

Injuries starting to mount up this weekend.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 20 Jan 2019, 4:27 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Injuries starting to mount up this weekend.

Brad shields side strain no info on severity

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Jan 2019, 4:56 pm

Yeah Shields dropped out before kick off, Launchbury and Hughes gone off injured while Wilson still has a niggle. Then add a rumoured fractured cheek bone for Ford and Farrell's surgery yesterday.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 20 Jan 2019, 5:21 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Yeah Shields dropped out before kick off, Launchbury and Hughes gone off injured while Wilson still has a niggle. Then add a rumoured fractured cheek bone for Ford and Farrell's surgery yesterday.

Sounds like England 2 weeks before a 6 Nations. What these guys need now is an Eddie Jones training camp to rest their sore bodies.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sun 20 Jan 2019, 5:31 pm

Not sure Hughes was injured? The guy on the radio thought it was tactical or certainly didn't mention injury. Cips for Ford (yeah right) and armand for shields (fat chance).

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Jan 2019, 7:59 pm

Hughes took a knock early and was limping through much of his time on pitch.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sun 20 Jan 2019, 8:02 pm

Oh usual state of affairs then, drop him and get mercer in then. Poor bloke has been injured more than not. Story of wasps season. It's been a shocker and it still isn't over.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 20 Jan 2019, 8:43 pm

The things people will do to get out of the England training sessions

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 21 Jan 2019, 9:01 am

Pundits on the BBC Radio Six Nations show were talking about England scrum half selection. They suspect Jones has concluded Care is great at finishing games but isn't a good option to start. Neither Lancaster or Jones want Care to play the kind of game he does for Harlequins, so he is less effective than in the Premiership. This means, there's a need for a second starting option.

In a world where box kicking seems to rule supreme, they think Jones has Wigglesworth in mind but isn't selecting him, because he already knows what he can do. Robson can probably play the same kind of finishing role as Care, so the real question is whether he can also start. The only way to find out is to give him a start at some point during the tournament.

This assumes that, previously, Jones had seen Youngs and Care as his two bankers but started having second thoughts when Youngs was injured, and Care didn't have a great Six Nations. However, if Jones did start thinking that, then it's a mystery why he didn't start looking more at Robson and Spencer on the last tour.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 21 Jan 2019, 9:24 am

My guess is that being on a losing run, Eddie wanted to keep experiments to a minimum in SA. However I was surprised that Spencer was on the bench rather than Robson. I had assumed that Jones saw Spencer as a player who could fulfill both roles, yet he only came on for a few minutes in two of the three tests and has now been dropped completely.

Pairing Robson with Cipriani for the 3rd test would have made sense, but again we have the issue of teh losing streak.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Jan 2019, 10:11 am

Yeah comments from Jones suggest Robson is there to challenge for the bench spot. His box kicking still remains a bit loose and he won't want to risk that against Ireland to start with.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 21 Jan 2019, 11:31 am

So are you saying wigglesworth will be on the bench against Ireland?
If your winning and you need a steady Eddie to slow the game then yes he's your man.
But if Ireland are in front then he's not really the dynamic player you need to add a bit of pace.
Without a dominant pack wiggy is nothing special, and one of the most average international scrum Half's you could find

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Jan 2019, 11:33 am

No. More likely Robson from the bench either way. It's a decision between youngs and wigglesworth to start.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 21 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:No. More likely Robson from the bench either way. It's a decision between youngs and wigglesworth to start.

That's what Dawson thinks is happening.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 21 Jan 2019, 11:59 am

Well being Irish Robson coming on is more of a threat.

So can you put wiggy on the bench please

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 21 Jan 2019, 12:36 pm

Barring injuries Youngs will start in Dublin with Robson on the bench. Should Youngs be injured we will likely see Wiggy called up to start.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 21 Jan 2019, 2:02 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Well being Irish Robson coming on is more of a threat.

So can you put wiggy on the bench please

Wigglesworth is thankfully not in the squad. Unlikely to see him this week.

Edit: unlikely to see him next week either!

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 21 Jan 2019, 8:09 pm

So that's injuries to:
Shields
Hughes
Launchbury
Ford
Farrell

Hopefully most of them are minor but its a bummer!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Mon 21 Jan 2019, 11:01 pm

yappysnap wrote:So that's injuries to:
Shields
Hughes
Launchbury
Ford
Farrell

Hopefully most of them are minor but its a bummer!
I do not want to see any player injured but if Shields, Hughes or Ford all had minor injuries that kept them out of the Six Nations that would help England's cause greatly.

Launchbury and Farrell on the other hand would represent real losses.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 22 Jan 2019, 12:37 am

Launchbury and Shields are OK apparently.

Launchbury went off for an HIA which he passed - but he had jarred his neck so they kept him off the pitch. Shields had issues with a muscle spasm following a collision in training.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 22 Jan 2019, 2:20 pm

Hopefully Farrell is back for the Ireland game. However, given the injury is to his thumb its probably a good thing if he cant do the silly celebration he does after every successful kick.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next