The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political round up.............

+27
navyblueshorts
tigertattie
Luckless Pedestrian
alfie
JDizzle
No name Bertie
88Chris05
Scottrf
Luke
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
El Radar
dummy_half
CaledonianCraig
lostinwales
Hero
Pr4wn
SecretFly
Galted
Samo
MrInvisible
Cardiff Dave
guildfordbat
superflyweight
Duty281
TRUSSMAN66
JuliusHMarx
31 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Political round up............. - Page 5 Empty Political round up.............

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 23 Nov - 23:39

First topic message reminder :

Thread Split! Culture Cup Rules!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 5 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by No name Bertie Sat 23 Feb - 12:59

Duty281 wrote:Not at all, you’re far more likely to have a degree if you’re in the 21-35 bracket than in the +65 grouping. Nowadays, access to higher education is just below 50%, whereas before Blair’s reforms it was around 15%.
Bit in bold - there was a recently announced target of getting 70% of teenagers into higher education through what is known as widening participation and diversity targets.  And last year 26% of graduating students were awarded a first and about 85% got either a first or an upper second.  In some courses (some English literature courses at some universities) over 50% of the original intake received firsts.  Customers Students are happy because they have a piece of paper saying how smart they are, and universities are happy because they have £28,000+ income that came with every graduating student.

In terms of their politics and activism - the most straight forward answer is not that the young are better educated but rather that they are better indoctrinated - and this fits in with the overwhelmingly left wing tendencies of school teachers and academics who claim their politics is "progressive".  

For example, what does it mean to have school children march against big oil industry and climate change?  Do school children really understand the ins and outs of climate prediction and the impacts of energy policy change?  No they don't.  What they are being taught is how to go on marches - how to be demonstrators and political activists.  It would have been more honest to have a march of school teachers against big oil industry and climate change rather than getting their classes to go on marches:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47250424
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 5 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 24 Feb - 0:27

You'd rather they were taught to passively taught to accept that they can't change the world? Or perhaps that only big business should call the shots and we should all accept that?
You really think kids are taught left-wing politics at school? Where's your evidence for that? Are the Maths, English and Science curriculums left-wing? Does it even take a great deal of education to see that climate change is a bad thing, very little is being done about it, and to want to protest against it?
Did the teachers 'get the children' to go on the march? Evidence please.
From your link - "energy minister Claire Perry said she was "incredibly proud" of young people's passion and concern". Isn't Claire Perry a Tory? Perhaps she's one of those left-wing Tories.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 24 Feb - 3:18

No name Bertie wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Could Corbyn be any more politically useless? Coming out in support of Begum now.

How can we not have a party that are serious opposition for a Convervative party which is looking more and more inept every day?

Corbyn's been treading water for a while. I have sympathy over the slime he's had lobbed at him, but his meteoric rise 2015-16 and his subsequent strengthened position as leader have been based largely on young, often ardently pro-EU members, many of whom only became active in politics because of their opposition to or concerns over Brexit. The fact that he's been able to get away with his vague, non-committal stance on Brexit for so long really is a testament to the abject failings of the government.
Bit in bold - the young are often inexperienced and gullible - this is the group that in the past are shifted off to fight overseas wars.  

Well with the bit in bold it suggests that they are being taught to be pro-EU and anti-Brexit in the schools and in the universities.  Is there any evidence that universities and school colleges are being overrun by left-wing teachers and academics that overwhelming support the EU and are vehemently opposed to Brexit?
Those institutions have always been tarred that way. Don't think they're often really leftist; more that they're filled with, and encourage, those that actually think.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 24 Feb - 7:36

Centrism alive and well...

Opinium..

Con .......40
Lab........32
UKIP....... 7
TIG..........6
Lib Dem.5 (Deary me)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 26 Feb - 2:11

Labour's Deputy Leader is obviously up to something..

Can't see him beating Corbyn so he must be trying to hurt his own Party in the May elections..

Surprised if they let him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 26 Feb - 7:29

The Deputy Leadership position seems to be an independent post to that of Labour leader - that is Jeremy Corbyn does not have the power to remove Tom Watson because it is an independently elected office.  Hence it is possible for Watson to act behind the scenes to try to undermine Corbyn.  What Corbyn wants is power (as does Watson) without having to give up his ideology - but he is prepared to show some flexibility if it helps him to get into power. Once in power - he gets his hands on the Treasury and can start to make some significant changes in Employment Law, Domestic Expenditure and Foreign Policy - which seems to be his main areas of interest.  He has surrounded himself with quite a number of activist politicians who will also want a big slice of taxpayers money and debt expenditure to finance their own sector level social revolutions.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 2 Mar - 2:53

Watson is secure in the knowledge that to be deposed the mps have to trigger a contest....The members are pro Corbyn and most mps are centrists...

Not sure with so much at stake members are going to take this guy trying to wreck Corbyn's chances forever...

Something will have to give..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 2 Mar - 5:55

I dunno, there area few more pressing scapegoats on the list of people wrecking Corbyns chances to go before we get to Watson
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 3 Mar - 1:51

The leader of the SDP some guy called David Owen says he likes Labour's policies but they should get rid of Corbyn..

I agree but it makes you wonder what Universe this new Group lives in if they think this Labour is hard left and they are another Social Democrat Party.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 3 Mar - 7:47

Opinium

Con 37 -3
Lab 33 +1
Lib 7 +2
UKIP 7 =
Tig 5 -1

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Sat 9 Mar - 1:15

A lot of government gaffes this week - Rudd on her use of word 'coloured', Leadsom suggesting Islamophobia was a matter for the Foreign Office and worst of all Bradley saying that killings carried out by security forces during the Troubles were 'not crimes' but 'actions of people carrying out their duties in a dignified and appropriate way.'

On Rudd I do have a bit of sympathy, in the sense that whilst the language used was inappropriate she was trying to be supportive to Diane Abbott over the abuse she gets on social media - made the gaffe all the more unfortunate. Growing up in a small-town I do remember my parents using the word 'coloured' at times when describing someone's appearance, and I recall someone taking me to task for using it myself on one occasion around 20 years ago. Having lived and worked in a far more cosmopolitan environment than the one I grew up in I quickly learned the lesson, and really its inappropriate terminology in this day and age with its colonial undertones - a Cabinet Minister in 2019, and one who has served recently as Home Secretary really ought to know better though. That said, the apology from Rudd was immediate and did feel sincere, though it was a bit revealing perhaps of the circles she mixes in.

Leadsom's one on Islamophobia was pretty baffling and quite revealing on how seriously some ministers would appear to treat the issue.

Finally, the Bradley quote is pretty appalling, particularly given current sensitivies over forthcoming Bloody Sunday verdicts and out of the 3 is definitely a resignation matter, especially as its followed on from comments expressing surprise that Nationalists don't vote for Unionist parties and vice versa. I can only imagine how well its gone down in Northern Ireland - a politician so ignorant on the basics can't be in such a sensitive post.

Still though, I imagine all will get forgotten next week with the forthcoming Brexit vote. My prediction is for May's deal to squeeze through as I think she'll get a few leave-minded Labour MPs voting for it.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sat 9 Mar - 3:09

MrI

I generally agree with your assessment of the three comments.

Rudd was giving an unscripted response live on the radio and just came out with a poor choice of words, especially given that she was highlighting (at least some of the reason) why Diane Abbott gets even worse on line trolling than other high profile female MPs. No harm was intended, indeed quite the opposite. This will be forgotten about by next week.

I don't know exactly what Angela Loathsome said, and maybe she honestly did mis-understand what she was asked regarding a definition of Islamaphobia. If not, she showed something of a tin ear. I do however find it a bit ironic that Naz Shah is involved as a shadow minister for equality after she was suspended by Labour for anti-Israeli comments.

As for the NI secretary, her comments were absurd. OK, most of the killings by the police and army during the Troubles were within the law as then present, but definitely not all, and those that were not must be examined impartially and any criminal charges arising should be pursued to the full extent of the law. Never mind a resigning matter, she should be sacked for gross incompetence. Then again, May hasn't shown much stomach for such actions, hence the likes of Grayling still being in the Cabinet.

Portillo on This Week last night reckoned that unless there is a major change to the backstop agreement, May's deal will be voted down by close to 100. If she could get to within maybe 15-20 of victory with the ERG and DUP supporting her, there might be enough Labour defectors - much easier to vote against the whip when you win the vote - however it doesn't look to the insiders as though she'll even get close.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Mar - 3:57

Labour four points ahead with the latest Survation poll, but four points behind with Opinium and YouGov.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 19 Mar - 20:02

Yes it's a mess..

Comres/Survation....Labour +1...Labour +4
Yougov/Opinium.......Con +4 .....Con +4

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Mar - 0:40

Some interesting polling..

Comres.....Without new TIG party..

Con 40
Lab 39

With TIG party..

Lab 36
Con 35

Opinium without TIG Party..

Con 37
Lab 33

With TIG party..

Con 35
Lab 35

According to these Two polls the new Party is hurting the Tories more.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 25 Mar - 23:50

Recap....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5305434/Michael-Gove-flipped-homes-MPs-expenses.html

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar - 18:28

Want an Election....Pick em..

Opinium
Con 36
Lab 35

Comres
Lab 36
Con 35

Yougov
Con 36
Lab 33

Survation
Lab 39
Con 35

Ipsos
Con 38
Lab 34

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Mar - 9:05

First poll with this official new Party....

(Delta)

Labour.......... 35 -1
Conservative 32 -11
Change UK.... 9 +9
Lib Dem..........9 +2

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 5 Apr - 21:14

Pretty poor for Labour in Newport West, getting over the line but with a reduced majority. Tories will be pleased - should bode well for them at the LEs.

The main opposition party should be annihilating this shambles of a Tory party at this stage.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 6 Apr - 3:32

I don't think it's too bad..Students and 18-24s need the fever of a GE to get involved and excited..

All about holding the seat on a low turnout..

They did so comfortably..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Apr - 22:07

Lab 40
Con 31

Lab 31
Con 29

Lab 34
Con 30

Brexit not happening starting to bite the Tories ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 11 Apr - 23:46

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Lab 40
Con 31

Lab 31
Con 29

Lab 34
Con 30

Brexit not happening starting to bite the Tories ??
I expect it has to have an effect on Conservative voters - with a proportion switching their vote to a party further to the political right or who won't vote. The problem with Labour is they have a lifelong marxist activist at the helm - which means Labour is unlikely to pick up nervous swing voters or disenchanted Conservative voters.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Apr - 21:28

Tories down to 29% with Opinium, Labour well ahead. UKIP back into double figures. It's 2013 all over again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 16 Apr - 22:28

All polls forecast Labour ending up biggest party after the next GE however they'd still be short of having a majority needed to form a government. Same reports forecast Tories tumbling down to around 260 seats.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Apr - 18:44

Comres....First GE poll with Farage outfit..

Labour............33%
Conservative..23%
Brexit Party.....14%

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 18 Apr - 23:39

Wow, just seen that poll. The lowest the Tories have been since 1997. Very Happy

The penalty of not delivering Brexit.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 18 Apr - 23:52

Is it seen that if the Tories go more "right-wing" or lean more into a harder Brexit, they'll recover those voters? Or is it too late for that now?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 19 Apr - 4:06

Oh those votes will always be recoverable for the Tories, especially while the FPTP system remains for General Elections.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Apr - 2:48

The 'Change' party having a few problems with its lack of vetting of candidates.

Oops!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 25 Apr - 3:20

Could be worse, could have done some vetting and then selected Ann Widdecombe as a candidate.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 25 Apr - 3:38

Duty281 wrote:The 'Change' party having a few problems with its lack of vetting of candidates.

Oops!

No change there then. Just like UKIP, eh?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Apr - 5:13

Pr4wn wrote:
Duty281 wrote:The 'Change' party having a few problems with its lack of vetting of candidates.

Oops!

No change there then. Just like UKIP, eh?

Exactly the same. I look forward to the mainstream media pile on, all in the interest of consistency.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 25 Apr - 12:18

UKIP have fielded a guy who taught his dog to Sieg Heil. They've also fielded a guy who said that he "wouldn't even r@pe a Labour female MP". When questioned about this later, he vehemently defended r@pe jokes.

Change UK are fielding a candidate in Scotland who once tweeted "Black women scare me" and also said that the arrest of Gary Glitter "smacks of the police targeting low-hanging fruit".

The Brexit Party has fielded Ann Widdecombe, who has consistently voted against LGBT legislation, championed the death penalty and said of the Harvey Weinstein victims "There was a choice there". She also said that Women's March was "Pathetic". But she got dragged along the floor on Strictly so people love her.

They're also fielding Annunziata Rees-Mogg, author of famous children's story "How to Profit from the World's Water Crisis". The former investment-banker, who once said that, if she had gone to university, she'd “have great fun, spend my parents’ money and do very little work” has railed against "politicians in their gilded cages" despite being the daughter of a life peer.

They're also fielding Claire Fox, the former co-publisher of the Revolutionary Communist Party magazine "Living Marxism" who has defended Gary Glitter's rights to download child pornography and whose Institute of Ideas has some pretty shady funding, to say the least.

I'd say we have a wonderful field of candidates and I, for one, am absolutely gutted that I cannot vote in these upcoming elections.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 25 Apr - 18:57

Expect the Lib Dems to have a good night in the LE....Labour half decent and the Tories not as bad as expected...

Tory vote tends to be more resilient than given credit for..

Brexit Party will do well in the EE with the two main parties taking a big hit....Lib Dems will struggle in those too..Not sure about this Change Party...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 25 Apr - 18:59

Pr4wn wrote:UKIP have fielded a guy who taught his dog to Sieg Heil. They've also fielded a guy who said that he "wouldn't even r@pe a Labour female MP". When questioned about this later, he vehemently defended r@pe jokes.

Change UK are fielding a candidate in Scotland who once tweeted "Black women scare me" and also said that the arrest of Gary Glitter "smacks of the police targeting low-hanging fruit".

The Brexit Party has fielded Ann Widdecombe, who has consistently voted against LGBT legislation, championed the death penalty and said of the Harvey Weinstein victims "There was a choice there". She also said that Women's March was "Pathetic". But she got dragged along the floor on Strictly so people love her.

They're also fielding Annunziata Rees-Mogg, author of famous children's story "How to Profit from the World's Water Crisis". The former investment-banker, who once said that, if she had gone to university, she'd “have great fun, spend my parents’ money and do very little work” has railed against "politicians in their gilded cages" despite being the daughter of a life peer.

They're also fielding Claire Fox, the former co-publisher of the Revolutionary Communist Party magazine "Living Marxism" who has defended Gary Glitter's rights to download child pornography and whose Institute of Ideas has some pretty shady funding, to say the least.

I'd say we have a wonderful field of candidates and I, for one, am absolutely gutted that I cannot vote in these upcoming elections.

What's the collective noun for people who are, by all and any objective measures, clearly c*nts?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 25 Apr - 19:40

C*nts
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 25 Apr - 21:14

Interesting that the Brexit party arent unveiling a manifesto until AFTER the elections, instead appealing for voters ‘trust’. Farages track record on working for the people of Britain as an MEP is almost non-existant and the fact they could win a good number of British MEP’s is scary. This truly highlights the flaws of democracy.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 25 Apr - 22:13

You want more £350 million a week NHS bollox ??

Anyone voting for this Brexit Party knows it's a....Flag waving..Low Tax..Pro Privatisation bunch of Immigrant bashing bigots...

The fact it will win the Euros....and.. If you add UKIP share in the GE Polls to it...The hard right is at record levels..

Tells you where the UK is at the moment..

It ain't good !!!.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 26 Apr - 2:28

superflyweight wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:UKIP have fielded a guy who taught his dog to Sieg Heil. They've also fielded a guy who said that he "wouldn't even r@pe a Labour female MP". When questioned about this later, he vehemently defended r@pe jokes.

What's the collective noun for people who are, by all and any objective measures, clearly c*nts?  

A bolus?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Apr - 20:02

Sanders leading in California and New Hampshire.....Corbyn ahead here....This young Greta Thunberg being written up as the second coming...The Centre left smashing it in Spain..Trump's approval languishing lately on 40% which is a problem for him...

Seems there is a shift away from Reagan/Thatcher politics...Basically continued under Clinton...Bush..Blair...Cameron..

Interesting.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 29 Apr - 20:47

What a surprise that neoliberalism is failing. The promise of "trickle down" economics was always a fantasy.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 29 Apr - 21:03

Ahhh. The benefits of 20:20 hindsight. Capitalism has the same problem as communism i.e. people. Pity we're too stupid to go for anything that's not an extreme and is therefore compromise. Sums up UK politics to a tee.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Apr - 0:51

Living wages...Decent public transport investment.. Better Schools..Kids not saddled with huge debts after further Education..

Is extremism...Bless.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 30 Apr - 3:10

picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Apr - 4:27

navyblueshorts wrote:picard

Better post than your last..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 30 Apr - 19:53

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:picard

Better post than your last..

Thanks. Appreciation from you is something I've been aspiring to for a long time... OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Apr - 21:48

I see the Tory press are putting out that the Tories could have a disastrous night and lose 800-1000 seats..

Which tells me they only expect 500 losses top...Which in fairness considering these Elections are mainly in The Shires..They shouldn't be getting hammered.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Wed 1 May - 21:51

Funny how every time elections are imminent an anti-Semitism 'story' damaging Labour/Corbyn emerges out of nowhere. This time, relating to comments from Corbyn liking a book written over 100 years ago. The story came from The Times' Danny Finkelstein, who I thought was above this sort of thing.

I do think the Tories will lose a lot of seats but that Lib Dems will gain more than Labour.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 1 May - 22:06

MrInvisible wrote:Funny how every time elections are imminent an anti-Semitism 'story' damaging Labour/Corbyn emerges out of nowhere.

It's pretty much a continuous, all-year-long thing, seeing as how there's a lot of material available.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 1 May - 22:49

If he keeps being anti-Semitic, hopefully he’ll get called on being anti-Semitic. He’s a waste of space

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next