The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row

+7
No 7&1/2
eirebilly
LordDowlais
maestegmafia
TightHEAD
rodders
LondonTiger
11 posters

Go down

Please vote for one in each position

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap16%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 16 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap7%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap11%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 11 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap27%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 27 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap0%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap4%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap6%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap10%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 10 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap13%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 13 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap2%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_lcap3%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 99

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Empty Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 May 2019, 1:39 pm

As if we do not have enough arguments, time for some debate and indicative votes Very Happy

Looking purely at the professional era (1997 tour onwards), there will be a series of votes. All players with 3 starts or more will be contenders. First the front row:

Loosehead:

Tom Smith - 6 caps across the 97 & 01 tours. Few would have predicted he would make the test side in 97 ahead of Jason "Funbus" Leonard, but Geech had a plan (and unlike Baldrick's it was indeed cunning)
Gethin Jenkins - 5 caps across 05 and 09. A great player who played in some iffy Lions teams as all his caps were in defeats.
Mako Vunipola - 6 caps (4 starts) across 13 & 17 tours. Vastly improved scrummager could be a key feature of the 2021 tour. Inexperienced in 2013 was perhaps overshadowed by the stronger scrummaging of Alex Corbisiero, by 2017 he was a key member of the side that drew with the world champions.

Hooker:
Keith Wood - 5 caps across 97 & 01. A rampaging hooker in the loose and solid in the tight.
Shane Byrne - 4 caps (3 starts) in 05. Have to admit I had forgotten he was the hooker on that tour.
Jamie George - 3 caps on 13 tour. Lots of arguments on this board about his inclusion in the test side, and to be fair after a long season he was not at his best. Even so the coaches felt he was the form hooker on the tour and gave him his first starts in international rugby as he played an important part in a drawn series.

Tighthead:
Phil Vickery - 5 caps across three tours. Will hope for one tour more before he retires.
Adam Jones - 5 caps (4 starts) on 09 & 13 tours. Old fashioned prop who anchored the scrum well in SA (hard to do) and Australia (easier).
Tadgh Furlong - 3 caps in 2017. Strong all-rounder who will look to expand on his Lions achievements on future tours.
Paul Wallace - 3 caps. Part of Geech's cunning plan in 97.
Julian White - 4 caps (3 starts) in 2005.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Empty Re: Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 May 2019, 1:41 pm

While I feel the current incumbents could well surpass their predecessors after future tours, for now have gone with Smith, Wood and Jones.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row Empty Re: Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Front Row

Post by rodders Mon 20 May 2019, 1:59 pm

Gone for Furlong, wood and Vunipolo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 20 May 2019, 2:05 pm

rodders wrote:Gone for Furlong, wood and Vunipolo.

Snap
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 20 May 2019, 2:26 pm

Gethin Wood and Furlong for me

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 2:26 pm

How many tours have Vanipola and Furlong been on ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 May 2019, 2:28 pm

I went Gethin Jenkins, Keith Wood and Adam Jones.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 May 2019, 2:34 pm

LordDowlais wrote:How many tours have Vanipola and Furlong been on ?

As it says in the OP, Vunipola 13/17 (2), Furlong 17 (1)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 20 May 2019, 2:45 pm

Close call on the tightheads between White, Furlong and Jones

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 3:12 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

So Furlongs been on one tour and he is up there ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 20 May 2019, 3:21 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

He has 3 test starts, which is 1 short of Adam Jones and 2 less than Vickery. I think he's a better player than either.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 20 May 2019, 3:22 pm

Given my rugby knowledge starts too late for the full pro era I'll side step any votes but how would you want the short lists created if you don't like LTs 3 cap line? You'd be discounting a few from that list if it's 2 tours or more.
There is an argument for best lions or best players to pull on the lions shirt I'd say.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 20 May 2019, 3:30 pm

LondonTiger wrote:While I feel the current incumbents could well surpass their predecessors after future tours, for now have gone with Smith, Wood and Jones.

Ditto.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 20 May 2019, 3:44 pm

Think you've missed lee Mears London? 4 caps over 2 tours?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 May 2019, 3:54 pm

Not according to this Very Happy  :

http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsguru/rugby/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=matches;position=7;spanmin1=27+Mar+1997;spanval1=span;team=32;template=results;type=player

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 May 2019, 3:55 pm

I notice that only Keith Wood and Gordon Bulloch have been on two pro tours and been capped as hookers.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 3:59 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I notice that only Keith Wood and Gordon Bulloch have been on two pro tours and been capped as hookers.

Now there's two Lions stalwarts if I ever seen them. Two greats of the game.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 May 2019, 4:17 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:I notice that only Keith Wood and Gordon Bulloch have been on two pro tours and been capped as hookers.

Now there's two Lions stalwarts if I ever seen them. Two greats of the game.

Keith Wood yes, Bulloch less so imo. In 2001 he was added to the squad mid tour and one of 6 hookers to tour!!! Oddly he was called up at the same time as Martin Corry with both making the test squad for the First test. By 2005 he was at the very back end of his career with his turn of the bench in the last test.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 20 May 2019, 4:18 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Think you've missed lee Mears London? 4 caps over 2 tours?

Yeah, Matthew Rees from 09 too?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 20 May 2019, 4:26 pm

I'm blaming wiki LT.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 May 2019, 4:38 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

When you send the NZ front row backwards then why not?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 May 2019, 4:40 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Think you've missed lee Mears London? 4 caps over 2 tours?

Yeah, Matthew Rees from 09 too?

Rees shared the 3 starts with Mears. While the 3 starts was an arbitrary qualifier, it meant to be included a player either had to dominate a single tour, or be capped across multiple tours.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 20 May 2019, 4:44 pm

Apologies, I only skim read the intro Very Happy

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 20 May 2019, 4:45 pm

It wouldn't have made a difference to my voting anyway.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 20 May 2019, 5:40 pm

Smith, Wood and Bomb for me.

Injury permitting I think that Vunipola and Furlong could retire as all time greats though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Mon 20 May 2019, 6:19 pm

Vcikery??? Arguably cost us the 09 tour. Shocker to have him on this selection

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 May 2019, 7:28 pm

Pie wrote:Vcikery??? Arguably cost us the 09 tour. Shocker to have him on this selection

The criteria was 3 starts to make the list. He achieved that and more. 

He was excellent in 2001, and tbh past his best in 2009 with neck injuries having kicked in. He did indeed struggle with the Beast boring in during first test, but came back in the 3rd to dominate him. There is no coincidence that the Beast struggled in that series when forced to scrummage legally. 

I still voted for Jones though.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue 21 May 2019, 2:21 am

I wa there. At both tests. The beast consumed him in the first and didn't care by the 3rd. Vickery cost us the 09 tour. Had Bomb been picked different story.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 21 May 2019, 6:31 am

Well I suppose as long as people keep consistent when we get to the other guy dropped at the same time as Vickery.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down