The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row

+4
rodders
BamBam
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
8 posters

Go down

Select two second rows

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_lcap48%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 27 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_lcap4%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_lcap4%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_lcap32%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 18 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_lcap2%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_lcap10%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 56

Poll closed

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Empty Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 21, 2019 4:49 pm

https://www.606v2.com/t68776-greatest-lions-xv-of-pro-era-front-row

Voting for Front Row still live. Currently we have Tom Smith and Keith Woods with a tie at TH between Jones and Furlong. I will be using current longevity as a tie-break rule.

So on to the second row. Again stats taken from ESPN and looking only at games played in the second row, some of these have appeared in the back row which are not included in the stats.

The Contenders

Martin Johnson - 6 starts in 97 & 01. Tour captain on the first two Lions tours. Also gained 2 caps in the last amateur tour.
Jeremy Davidson - 3 starts in 97. Voted the players player of the tour this was very much the high point of his career.
Danny Grewcock - 5 tests (4 starts) in 01 & 05. Vicious sod on the pitch, loved by teammates and no-one else.
Paul O'Connell - 7 starts in 05, 09 & 13. Three tours, one as captain. Unlucky to see his final tour cut short by injury.
Donncha O'Callaghan - 4 tests (3 starts) in 05 & 09. Vicious sod on the pitch, loved by teammates and no-one else.
Alun Wyn Jones - 8 tests (7 starts) in 09, 13 & 17. Heartbeat of any team he plays for.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Empty Re: Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

AWJ perhaps unlucky to only make my bench but I feel that he has not quite been as good for the Lions as for Wales. Great player, but for me Johnson and POC.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row Empty Re: Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Second Row

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 pm

AWJ needs another tour and has to be at his best for me it’s the legendary Johnson and POC

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 21, 2019 7:15 pm

maestegmafia wrote:AWJ needs another tour and has to be at his best for me it’s the legendary Johnson and POC

Unfortunately for AWJ the next tour may come a little too late as he would be almost 36. Thought I had read that he was contemplating retiring from international duty after RWC.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue May 21, 2019 7:59 pm

"I will be using current longevity as a tie-break rule" - what does this mean? Favours whoever has been on more tours?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Johnson is an obvious one for leading the 1997 Lions to victory.

Maybe it's a bit bias as he never really dominated games for the Lions like he did Munster and Ireland but O'Connell is my second peak. No one really enhanced their reputation in 2005, he led the 2009 Lions fairly well and played a role in the test win in 2013.

Simon Shaw should probably be there as well.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 pm

Went for Paul O'Connell and Martin Johnson. What a fierce boiler room that would be, no backwards steps there!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 21, 2019 8:59 pm

BamBam wrote:"I will be using current longevity as a tie-break rule" - what does this mean? Favours whoever has been on more tours?
 Yeah. So if votes tied guy with more tests wins. Completely arbitrary I know.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 pm

rodders wrote:

Simon Shaw should probably be there as well.  

Sadly he only won two caps. Shame he does not meet the criteria as I feel he was our best player on 2009 tour despite being almost 36.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue May 21, 2019 9:11 pm

He's unfortunate in having to compete with Johnson for most of his career, but what a player Shaw was, a mountain of a second row

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Went for Paul O'Connell and Martin Johnson.  What a fierce boiler room that would be, no backwards steps there!

Yep, I have to agree, and they were my votes as well. How Grewcock the cheep shot bully is in there though is just beggars belief.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue May 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Grewcock has started 4 tests and played in another for the Lions. As per LT's clearly defined criteria, he is eligible for the poll

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed May 22, 2019 3:48 am

Grewcock was a standout performer in 2001. He completely deserves his place in the list. Ok, he was a bit ‘edgy’.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed May 22, 2019 8:27 am

AWJ and AWJ, what a lock pairing.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 22, 2019 4:44 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:AWJ and AWJ, what a lock pairing.

Damn I knew that I should have had an extra voting option. If it makes you feel any better someone voted AWJ/Davidson

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed May 22, 2019 7:14 pm

That was the only vote that didn't include Johnson, pretty much unanimous

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed May 22, 2019 7:57 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:AWJ and AWJ, what a lock pairing.

Damn I knew that I should have had an extra voting option. If it makes you feel any better someone voted AWJ/Davidson

Davidson was great for the tour but languished either side

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down