The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres

+2
Mr Bounce
LondonTiger
6 posters

Go down

Select two

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_lcap7%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_lcap34%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 14 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_lcap49%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 20 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_lcap0%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_lcap0%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_lcap10%Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 41

Poll closed

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Empty Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres

Post by LondonTiger Mon 27 May 2019, 5:24 pm

Team so far:

Smith, Wood, Furlong; Johnson, O'Connell; Hill, Warburton, Dallaglio; Dawson, Sexton

https://www.606v2.com/t68776-greatest-lions-xv-of-pro-era-front-row
https://www.606v2.com/t68778-greatest-lions-xv-of-pro-era-second-row
https://www.606v2.com/t68781-greatest-lions-xv-of-pro-era-back-row
https://www.606v2.com/t68784-greatest-lions-xv-of-pro-era-half-backs

Contenders

Again must have made 3 starts in the Pro era (97 onwards)

97 Guscott 3 tests - If this included achievements in the amateur era would have been a massive contender. Only player on this list to have fetured on two winning tours.
97 Gibbs 3 tests - Guscotts partner in SA, also played with him in NZ four years earlier. His direct running was the perfect complement to his English partners gliding style.
01-13 O'Driscoll 8 tests - With 8 test starts across four series, BOD is a Lions Icon. Was he ever at his absolute best for the Lions? Perhaps not, but still a living legend.
01 Henderson 3 tests - Strong, physical and direct runner of the sort Geech liked (yes I know this was a Henry tour). Good foil for BOD.
09-13 Roberts 3 tests - Strong, physical and direct runner of the sort Geech liked. Controversially replaced BOD in 13, it was the right call.
13-17 Davies 6 tests - Has worn 12 & 13 for the Lions. Won player of the tour in 2017.

Unlucky to miss the shortlist: Farrell (3 tets starts but 1 at 10), Gareth Thomas (3 tests but 1 on the wing), Will Greenwood (3 tours, 2 tests, in his prime in 2001 an injury during the tour curtailed his hopes)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Empty Re: Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres

Post by LondonTiger Mon 27 May 2019, 7:57 pm

If allowed myself to consider pre 97, I may well have gone for G&G. As it is voted BOD & JD2.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres Empty Re: Greatest Lions XV of Pro Era - Centres

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 27 May 2019, 8:23 pm

Had to go with Gibbs and O'Driscoll. JD2 is a good player, but 2013 aside, he is no BOD. And there was no better pro Lions 12 than Gibbs.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 May 2019, 7:19 am

Scott Gibbs from the 93 and 97 tour was an absolute military grade weapon. Formed a superb partnership with Guscott’s elusive pace. As well as being able to dump 23 stone props on their backsides with a hand off Gibbs was a great stepper, had lovely offloading and was a superb passer of the ball. In defence he was as exciting as any attacker I have ever seen. Watching Gibbs line up a big hit was like watching a pensive horror movie.

Guscott was the E-Type Jag of Bath RFC. Sleek, speedy, he could slide through a closed door. He found a gap in every defence, he could pass beautifully and kick to win a test series. His downside and the reason he won’t get my vote was my wife fancied him rotten, when we moved to the new forest and joined Bath RFC I took her along to a function to meet him and she actually couldn’t talk she was so besotted.

Brian O’Driscoll still the finest outside centre I’ve seen since the great Bleddyn Williams, an eye for space, a great line and excellent pace. Many centres had those attributes but BOD and Williams could turn over ball better than most of the pack and that creates fast attacking ball. That separates them from the rest.

Jonathan Davies always seems to be underestimated but he has pace power vision, not the greatest passer of the ball over any distance but he can slip the finest of offloads to a man running on his shoulder. Inside centre was an easy choice but the thirteen shirt, or in JGs case 12 shirt, that’s a really tough call.

The fastest prop and the best openside flanker in the backline for me

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 28 May 2019, 9:13 am

In terms of memories, I would have to go Gibbs for 97 and BOD for 2001. BOD's try in the first test of 2001, will always be one of my most favourite memories and what Gibbs did in 97 was massive.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 28 May 2019, 9:49 am

This is another tricky one.

I've gone for Gibbs at 12 - he created those iconic moments in 1997 particularly knocking over La Roux and Du Randt, so he gets the nod from me.

At 13 Davies was sensational in 2017 as was Gusgott in 1997.

However I have to go with BOD. He's had some real lows in a Lions jersey - the nightmare in 2005 and then getting dropped in 2013 but he also stood out in a star studded 2001 back line and had another great tour in 2009 - 4 tours in the pro era shows how great he was.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 28 May 2019, 12:25 pm

Guscott was shear class, but he is such a hard personality to like in his punditry roles, I am surprised he has got any votes
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down