The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland WC

+43
LordDowlais
Ninjarugby
robbo277
No 7&1/2
Maine man
formerly known as Sam
Exiledinborders
Engine#4
RiscaGame
doctor_grey
hugehandoff
lostinwales
alive555
LeinsterFan4life
majesticimperialman
Rugby Fan
No9
Poorfour
RDW
BamBam
eirebilly
Pie
LondonTiger
ebop
Pete330v2
TightHEAD
BigGee
theslosty
Geen sport voor watjes
thebandwagonsociety
bluestonevedder
maestegmafia
SecretFly
Taylorman
Cyril
profitius
mikey_dragon
tigertattie
Brendan
rodders
The Great Aukster
Collapse2005
carpet baboon
47 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Ireland WC Empty Ireland WC

Post by carpet baboon Fri 12 Jul 2019, 12:00 pm

Bit early i know.
Will update squads etc once they are announced.
And add the fixtures when I get a spare 10 mins.

Will Addison has been called up to the training squad

Last edited by carpet baboon on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Ireland WC Empty Re: Ireland WC

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 12 Jul 2019, 12:27 pm

Fair play. Am gonna pull the trigger this week on flights to Osaka, or not. Decision to be made by Saturday.

Bring it on.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 14 Jul 2019, 8:57 am

Schmidt should pick:
6 Props
3 Hookers
4 Locks
5 Backrow
3 Scrum Halves
2 Fly Halves
3 Centres
5 Back three

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 15 Jul 2019, 10:18 am

Any thoughts on the prep?

I see Wales are going to Switzerland for their altitude camp again, preparation for these big tournaments is something we haven't traditionally got right compared to the other home nations.

It seems our training is a bit lower key compared to England and Wales, doing several blocks in Ireland with a weeks warm weather training before the warm up games.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 15 Jul 2019, 10:23 am

I think Wales love to tell everyone their prep is better than everyone elses'. Its really just Gatland's way of giving his team confidence to believe that they have an edge on other sides.

The RWC in Japan wont be played at altitude so dont see it as really necessary unless they are planning on climbing mount Fuji for the craic.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 15 Jul 2019, 10:27 am

That was the argument last time too but our home based approach and slow build up definitely didn't really work as well as hoped.

It seems since 2007 there is a bit of an anxiety about over training going into the tournament.

Wales and England seem to pull out all the stops to reach new levels or fitness, whereas we tend to stick to more of the same.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 15 Jul 2019, 10:39 am

England and Wales arent fitter than the Irish side at all. Personally I think those claims are total nonsense. The strength and conditioning of the Irish side is very good and the fitness tracking carried out by Kitman labs is first class. Ireland's older guys Best and Kearney seem to be able to run all day long for example. Healy looks like he is in the best shape of his life. Less is often more.

I think you are much better off resisting the temptation to over train and instead focus on mental preparation. I love it when Cian Healy said that the team expected to win after they beat NZ in November, more of that sort of confidence is what we need.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 15 Jul 2019, 1:57 pm

I think a few weeks on one off will be good for the mental side of things. Being stuck in camp for too long isn't great.

I think that getting past the quarterfinal has to be more of an issue for the squad then an extra 1% fitness.

Last two WCs it was the mental stuff.
2011 - lost to Wales in a game we were caught cold in a never seemed to recover
2015 - lost a game which we had dragged ourselves back into only to implode again at the end.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 15 Jul 2019, 3:38 pm

Brendan wrote:
Last two WCs it was the mental stuff.
2011 - lost to Wales in a game we were caught cold in a never seemed to recover
2015 - lost a game which we had dragged ourselves back into only to implode again at the end.

I don't agree it was mental, in 2011 we were over powered by Wales in the 3/4 line. In 2015 we were a bit depleted due to injury but ultimately was Argentina's pace in the wide channels that exposed our narrow defense. One of our Achilles heels under Joe is that when we do go behind we haven't been good at playing catch up rugby and the Pumas caught us cold last time.

Guns yes I agree, generally speaking we are as fit, or fitter than other sides but when it comes to peaking for one of tournaments we have been found wanting whereas the other home nations have found an extra gear.

Honestly I'm not confident we will get out of our group, Japan are bound to spring an upset or two. I don't think a QF is a foregone conclusion let alone a SF.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 15 Jul 2019, 3:52 pm

Im confident we will get out of the group. It would be pathetic if we didnt given where we are at. Not that they are bad sides but Ireland are better than Scotland and Japan.

For the Argentina game I think we mainly struggled at the breakdown more than anything which was why Argentina were able to get the ball wide quickly.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 15 Jul 2019, 4:09 pm

Yup good point on the breakdown.

We should get out of the group but Japan are bound to spring an upset or two, I think this is a difficult group to navigate.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 15 Jul 2019, 4:22 pm

When can we start throwing poo at each other?

After Scotland beat you in the first game, which other team gives you the most fear for not progressing out the group, Samoa or Japan?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 15 Jul 2019, 5:41 pm

tigertattie wrote:When can we start throwing poo at each other?

After Scotland beat you in the first game, which other team gives you the most fear for not progressing out the group, Samoa or Japan?

Hey man, if you are looking for an exciting group with some twists and turns, Diversity the dance group are playing in Scotland in November:

https://www.atgtickets.com/shows/diversity/?ds_rl=1265091&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyLDpBRCxARIsAEENsrKRG1Gad8qCo-ohmiJFAoL6LAM54hfQPR-pw4PQ1cjYXrRQBdFkU4caAoUbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You wont find and twists in Ireland's RWC group though. Its a foregone conclusion, Ireland will top it...

...according to Jamie Heaslip anyway.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Jul 2019, 9:02 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:I think Wales love to tell everyone their prep is better than everyone elses'. Its really just Gatland's way of giving his team confidence to believe that they have an edge on other sides.

The RWC in Japan wont be played at altitude so dont see it as really necessary unless they are planning on climbing mount Fuji for the craic.

Do we? The thing is Gatland was successful where Ireland failed in 2007, at the Poland training camp in 2011. The difference in 2013 and 2017 Lions tours was the time given to Gatland and he has proven to do well when given more time to prepare, so the guy is one of if not the best at preparing a team with limited time and resources. Wales have really struggled if their conditioning isn’t good which is probably why Gats likes to talk about it. If the measurement tool is old guys then AWJ is also able to run all day. You seem a little concerned because the champs are going really well in their state of the art training regime for the World Cup.

One thing for certain is Wales’ green jersey is better than Ireland’s green jersey.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 15 Jul 2019, 9:22 pm

Gatland talks a load of shoite and lots of people believe it. Fair play to him.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 16 Jul 2019, 3:14 am

Why, did the Irish believe him when he said Wales’ green jersey was better than Ireland’s?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 16 Jul 2019, 5:39 pm

Did you see this the other week?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/48922294

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 16 Jul 2019, 7:20 pm

Thats what we were talking about Mikey

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 16 Jul 2019, 10:09 pm

I don't think altitude training makes a difference. Only matters if you're playing at altitude.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 16 Jul 2019, 10:19 pm

Maybe the Wales team are planning to climb Mount Fuji when they get knocked out.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 16 Jul 2019, 10:40 pm

Profitus, it does make a difference. It’s not just about adapting to play at higher altitudes. You train there to make your body more efficient and, therefore, be more effective when exposed to higher levels of oxygen. I’m not a doctor or sports scientist, but training at higher altitudes is a proven method of improving an athlete’s ability to perform at a high level for longer.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 16 Jul 2019, 10:53 pm

2 weeks up a mountain will make no difference at all. Gatland whispering in their ears while they sleep that each day they spend there they are becoming more and more super human makes all the difference.

England trained at high altitude before the last RWC...

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 16 Jul 2019, 11:22 pm

Athletes use a combination of training to achieve what they need. It doesn’t always work.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 17 Jul 2019, 1:03 am

They can use Cheika's hill if they want. Pococks calf is still recovering from that one. The other three are ok I believe. But the hill's free at the moment. Laugh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 17 Jul 2019, 1:39 am

Cyril wrote:Profitus, it does make a difference. It’s not just about adapting to play at higher altitudes. You train there to make your body more efficient and, therefore, be more effective when exposed to higher levels of oxygen. I’m not a doctor or sports scientist, but training at higher altitudes is a proven method of improving an athlete’s ability to perform at a high level for longer.

The benefits only last a few weeks. Its 2 months before the world cup. Its probably another one of Gatlands psychological tricks.

I think Fiji could be a nightmare game for wales in this world cup.

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 17 Jul 2019, 1:41 am

Taylorman wrote:They can use Cheika's hill if they want. Pococks calf is still recovering from that one. The other three are ok I believe. But the hill's free at the moment. Laugh

Or the Bok camp where they were all running around naked. Wtf was that about. Laugh
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 17 Jul 2019, 6:47 am

Doubt it, Profitus. I think Wales will give them a hiding. I think all the PI sides will have a poor World Cup. I would always expect England to put at least 20 points on any of them. Fiji are the best of the bunch admittedly.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 17 Jul 2019, 8:11 am

Fiji are the best island side right now. Beat France last year and Scotland the year before. Not that easy a game for Wales at all.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 17 Jul 2019, 8:12 am

profitius wrote:
Taylorman wrote:They can use Cheika's hill if they want. Pococks calf is still recovering from that one. The other three are ok I believe. But the hill's free at the moment. Laugh

Or the Bok  camp where they were all running around naked. Wtf was that about. Laugh

Kamp Staaldrad. That was bizarre.

All videos of the camp have now been removed from online by court order.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Jul 2019, 9:36 am

Collapse2005 wrote:2 weeks up a mountain will make no difference at all. Gatland whispering in their ears while they sleep that each day they spend there they are becoming more and more super human makes all the difference.

Hmmmmm Shocked

Maybe that's why Ireland sacked him.    Lock your doors boys!  Weirdo alert!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 17 Jul 2019, 9:39 am

His methods work. Id say if he was hired by Scotland they would win the 6 nations or come second.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 17 Jul 2019, 9:43 am

SecretFly wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:2 weeks up a mountain will make no difference at all. Gatland whispering in their ears while they sleep that each day they spend there they are becoming more and more super human makes all the difference.

Hmmmmm Shocked

Maybe that's why Ireland sacked him.    Lock your doors boys!  Weirdo alert!

Both England and Wales trained at altitude prior to the 2015 RWC in England

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-world-cup-2015-england-9495623

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 17 Jul 2019, 9:44 am

profitius wrote:
Cyril wrote:Profitus, it does make a difference. It’s not just about adapting to play at higher altitudes. You train there to make your body more efficient and, therefore, be more effective when exposed to higher levels of oxygen. I’m not a doctor or sports scientist, but training at higher altitudes is a proven method of improving an athlete’s ability to perform at a high level for longer.

The benefits only last a few weeks. Its 2 months before the world cup. Its probably another one of Gatlands psychological tricks.

I agree, its more a psychological thing, team bonding maybe a benefit too.

For pro sides all the hard training has been done, its just a matter of keeping the engine well oiled at this stage. You are not going to all of a sudden become super fit from two weeks up a mountain.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:01 am

What are Ireland doing to psychologically boost themselves (after all, we kinda need the boosters more than some of our rivals right now)?

Different strategy completely to altitude training and ice-box sessions?

A few trips to the dog races and some karaoke pub nights to get the bonding going?

Brill! We'll do as well as we've always done so OK

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:05 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
profitius wrote:

For pro sides all the hard training has been done, its just a matter of keeping the engine well oiled at this stage. You are not going to all of a sudden become super fit from two weeks up a mountain.

In Wales case they are training at under 4000feet and staying at above 8000feet which is the train low stay high method.

High altitude training increases red blood cells and therefor oxygen in the blood, but altitude limits high intensity training. So intense training low altitude and stay in accommodation at high altitude has huge benefits.

It is a concept used by many american field and track athletes for the last thirty years. Was used by many British athletes recently too. Sir Mo Farah is a big exponent.

The other key component as discovered in both athletics and cycling is the timing of this type of training. It needs to be done a few months prior to an event to gain maximum benefits. Scientists who study the effects claim it can give a 1-2% benefit to elite athletes performances.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:05 am

I think they should all join Scientology and get audited, get counselling to remove all their thetans, then sign billion year contracts with the Scientology Sea Org. That should put them on the right track mentally.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:06 am

Cyril wrote:Doubt it, Profitus. I think Wales will give them a hiding. I think all the PI sides will have a poor World Cup. I would always expect England to put at least 20 points on any of them. Fiji are the best of the bunch admittedly.

If they can keep their discipline. They're a very big, fast and skillful side who can score from anywhere. They played Ireland about 2 years ago in Dublin in November and it was a close enough game.

Wales have a good defence but Fiji are not predictable in attack and its likely to be hot and the ground hard.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:08 am

SecretFly wrote:What are Ireland doing to psychologically boost themselves (after all, we kinda need the boosters more than some of our rivals right now)?

A few trips to the dog races and some karaoke pub nights to get the bonding going?

Brill!  We'll do as well as we've always done so  OK

Apparently they are doing length sessions of dance aerobics with a fantastic céilí band followed by massive rehydration with malt based sports drinks sponsored by a leading Irish drinks manufacturer..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:10 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
profitius wrote:

Or the Bok  camp where they were all running around naked. Wtf was that about. Laugh

The court done us all a favour. Very Happy
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:12 am

profitius wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
profitius wrote:

The court done us all a favour. Very Happy

Ha ha ha

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:14 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
profitius wrote:

In Wales case they are training at under 4000feet and staying at above 8000feet which is the train low stay high method.

High altitude training increases red blood cells and therefor oxygen in the blood, but altitude limits high intensity training. So intense training low altitude and stay in accommodation at high altitude has huge benefits.

It is a concept used by many american field and track athletes for the last thirty years. Was used by many British athletes recently too. Sir Mo Farah is a big exponent.

The other key component as discovered in both athletics and cycling is the timing of this type of training. It needs to be done a few months prior to an event to gain maximum benefits. Scientists who study the effects claim it can give a 1-2% benefit to elite athletes performances.

OK Now we got a guy talking sense.

It works....not all the time because chaos theory likes to throw in the surprises in every game. But it works, and Ireland's sorry record in the competition proves it coz I think we've been least interested in aligning live science developments into our strategies.

It's an honest question - I don't know - just what are Ireland's plans as regards training camps pre WC? Anything scientifically exotic on the cards?

Tanning beds??

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:17 am

maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:What are Ireland doing to psychologically boost themselves (after all, we kinda need the boosters more than some of our rivals right now)?

Brill!  We'll do as well as we've always done so  OK

Apparently they are doing length sessions of dance aerobics with a fantastic céilí band followed by massive rehydration with malt based sports drinks sponsored by a leading Irish drinks manufacturer..!

You may think that's funny but I think I may have to report you for actual cyber theft of Ireland's top secret preps! It just sounds suspiciously too close to the truth to be a joke.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 17 Jul 2019, 6:58 pm

Doesnt really fit here but in case its not been on the site a very good interview with ROG, Razor and the 1014 guys.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMmOOzn9R-k

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 17 Jul 2019, 8:25 pm

Its a few months old but I enjoyed that interview. The 1014 guys are such rugby geeks.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 18 Jul 2019, 2:08 am

profitius wrote:

I think the idea is they get to that level and try to maintain it. Guns is particularly worried about Wales for some reason.

Why would Fiji be a nightmare game for us?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Jul 2019, 2:17 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

Why would Fiji be a nightmare game for us?

Coz yis will fall asleep during the game and dream of the final?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Jul 2019, 9:23 am

So how we all feeling?

I haven't been watching the rugby championship but sounds like the boks are building nicely.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 31 Jul 2019, 9:34 am

The Rugby Championship has been pretty low scoring and scrappy with plenty errors. Probably how the 6 nations warm up games will be.

The Boks beat Oz at home with a B side and got a draw away v NZ in Wellington so they have impressed more than any other side for sure.

Oz and Argentina have been poor enough and NZ have been a bit hit and miss.

For Ireland fans it looks like it could be a toss of a coin who we potentially meet in the quarters. Both SA and NZ will be tough although NZ aren't as good as they were at the last RWC and SA are a lot better so it is still a winnable match.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Jul 2019, 1:28 pm

Starting to wonder if we would be better meeting NZ.. they are still favorites but that aura of invincibility is starting to falter over the past year or so. They still have plenty of world beaters but in certain positions i.e. the backrow and midfield they don't have the quality they once did.

By contrast the boks look to be peaking at the right time.... at this point they look like potential winners...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 31 Jul 2019, 1:31 pm

NZ still have the best backs in the world but their forwards while still really good aren't much better if better at all than what we have got.

The Boks play really well against NZ but the jury is still out for me how they perform against other sides in particular away from home.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next