The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales

+38
No9
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
majesticimperialman
eirebilly
TightHEAD
Big
Shifty
alanmackie6
Gooseberry
Soul Requiem
lauriehow
Brendan
Geordie
Rinsure
bsando
englishborn
Afro
Rugby Fan
mikey_dragon
No 7&1/2
Dolphin Ziggler
BigGee
Duty281
BigTrevsbigmac
LeinsterFan4life
kingelderfield
Noble-Surfer
BamBam
Pal Joey
Taylorman
SecretFly
Old Man
Pie
robbo277
rodders
lostinwales
RiscaGame
42 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales - Page 7 Empty Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales

Post by LondonTiger Mon 09 Sep 2019, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

TeamPlayedWonDrawnLostTriesPFPA+/-BPPoints
Wales2200872393319
Australia2101964501426
Georgia210174750-315
Uruguay210143760-2304
Fiji200274869-1122

Australia 39 - 21 Fiji  
Wales 43-14 Georgia
Fiji 27-30 Uruguay        
Georgia 33-7 Uruguay                  
Australia 25-29 Wales                    

3 October 2019         Georgia v Fiji                           Hanazono Rugby Stadium, Higashiosaka
5 October 2019         Australia v Uruguay                  Oita Stadium, Ōita
9 October 2019         Wales v Fiji                              Oita Stadium, Ōita
11 October 2019       Australia v Georgia                   Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa, Fukuroi
13 October 2019       Wales v Uruguay                      Kumamoto Stadium, Kumamoto

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 01 Oct 2019, 9:42 am; edited 4 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales - Page 7 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales

Post by maestegmafia Tue 01 Oct 2019, 9:44 pm

robbo277 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Georgia Fiji is a close one to call. I think Georgia might have this one. Thought Fiji were superb for the first half against the Aussies. Georgia improving every match

One for the accountants really. It will push the winner into a higher prize money band and ensure qualification for the next cup. But unless you think Georgia can topple Australia it won't impact qualification, although it would probably be better as a contest to have qualification on the line.

If Georgia can do it against the wallabies it won’t be pretty but it would be great to watch and brilliant for the sport. The Fijians were a lot closer than the score reflected to beating Australia

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales - Page 7 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales

Post by Guest Tue 01 Oct 2019, 10:19 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
robbo277 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Georgia Fiji is a close one to call. I think Georgia might have this one. Thought Fiji were superb for the first half against the Aussies. Georgia improving every match

One for the accountants really. It will push the winner into a higher prize money band and ensure qualification for the next cup. But unless you think Georgia can topple Australia it won't impact qualification, although it would probably be better as a contest to have qualification on the line.

If Georgia can do it against the wallabies it won’t be pretty but it would be great to watch and brilliant for the sport. The Fijians were a lot closer than the score reflected to beating Australia

If Aus play like they played against Wales in the 2nd half then they’ll wipe the floor with Georgia. Georgia will not be able to handle their pace of attack. We couldn’t handle it when they got going! And Aus seem to have a better scrum than us so Georgia will not have much joy there against Aus I feel. Wales took the foot off the gas when we were cruising, as we often do, and perhaps could/should have got over 50 v Georgia. Can’t see why Aus couldn’t do the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 01 Oct 2019, 10:29 pm

Tries. Everybody wants more of them. Bayern only got a try and a conversion against Tottenham. But it proved to be plenty good enough for the win.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 02 Oct 2019, 6:26 pm

Georgia are very kindly priced at 13/5 tomorrow against Fiji.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Wed 02 Oct 2019, 7:28 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Pie wrote:
Taylorman wrote:'They could bounce back and wreck Wales'

nearly did too. Wales got lucky...

Unable to make a solid prediction he would stick by Gump hedged his bets, again so that he could appear erudite in any event.

Good going Gump picard

Completely uncalled for personal insult.

No its not. If you read his posts you'll see he brought up Forrest Gump.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 02 Oct 2019, 9:19 pm

I used it in its commonly used context, not as a personal insult, something you seem to have to revert to, to make a point. All's the pity.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 02 Oct 2019, 10:12 pm

Taylor, just ignore Pie. In terms of the new tackle laws, I’ve no idea how he keeps getting away with shoulders to the head. I’m assuming he’ll soon fall foul of a citing.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Wed 02 Oct 2019, 10:58 pm

Taylorman wrote:I used it in its commonly used context, not as a personal insult, something you seem to have to revert to, to make a point. All's the pity.

You're 'insulted' by a comparison to a character you introduced to the thread. Doh

How dare you be so rude to yourself!! warning

I suggest you go look in the mirror and apologize to yourself laughing

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 03 Oct 2019, 9:23 am

Cyril wrote:Taylor, just ignore Pie. In terms of the new tackle laws, I’ve no idea how he keeps getting away with shoulders to the head. I’m assuming he’ll soon fall foul of a citing.

clap thumbsup clap thumbsup clap
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 03 Oct 2019, 9:43 am

Well done Fiji. The 4 day turnaround cause Fiji, then Urugary and now Georgia problems. Add in the humidity levels they are both use to and you can see why the second half went as it did.

I think everyone would agree that the 3rd place spots are now sown up in each group (We know in A it's not Russia or Samoa).  It's a pity the 4 3rd places don't get a plate tournament so they can get a few more good games. Or even like the under 20s and play for 9th.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:13 pm

I think this game has showed why Welsh fans are understandably nervy about facing Fiji. People are saying that we shouldn't worry, that we're too good, that we should have higher aspirations. But when Fiji click they are very dangerous. They beat Georgia by about the same score as we did so I'm not sure our game against them will be as easy as many (mostly outside Wales) predict. We have form with Fiji - they've beaten us at the WC in the past and we've had a number of close games too. Like when we play Australia, we often struggle with the free flowing, dangerous running of Fiji. Not looking forward to this fixture at all!

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:26 pm

The Oracle wrote:I think this game has showed why Welsh fans are understandably nervy about facing Fiji.  People are saying that we shouldn't worry, that we're too good, that we should have higher aspirations.  But when Fiji click they are very dangerous.  They beat Georgia by about the same score as we did so I'm not sure our game against them will be as easy as many (mostly outside Wales) predict.  We have form with Fiji - they've beaten us at the WC in the past and we've had a number of close games too.  Like when we play Australia, we often struggle with the free flowing, dangerous running of Fiji.  Not looking forward to this fixture at all!

You should have the game plan to nullify Fiji. They did run Australia close and were one badly officiated head high tackle away from running them a good deal closer, but I don't think they'll see enough of the ball against you to cause you major problems

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:49 pm

lostinwales wrote:
The Oracle wrote:I think this game has showed why Welsh fans are understandably nervy about facing Fiji.  People are saying that we shouldn't worry, that we're too good, that we should have higher aspirations.  But when Fiji click they are very dangerous.  They beat Georgia by about the same score as we did so I'm not sure our game against them will be as easy as many (mostly outside Wales) predict.  We have form with Fiji - they've beaten us at the WC in the past and we've had a number of close games too.  Like when we play Australia, we often struggle with the free flowing, dangerous running of Fiji.  Not looking forward to this fixture at all!

You should have the game plan to nullify Fiji. They did run Australia close and were one badly officiated head high tackle away from running them a good deal closer, but I don't think they'll see enough of the ball against you to cause you major problems

I just fear our tactics of 'keep it in play by kicking deep and in-field, push up, contain and cause errors' will be playing into their hands. Can't just kick the ball to Fiji and allow them to run at us. Would love to see us kick deep for touch and try to do things the traditional way!

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:51 pm

lostinwales wrote:

Wales have one of the best defences in the world, should be fine

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 1:29 pm

DON'T....TALK......US......UP!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 03 Oct 2019, 1:42 pm

With today's result the group simplifies somewhat.

Should Australia beat Uruguay with a try bonus point this weekend, they'll jump to 11 points. A similar win against Georgia would see them on 16 points.

Wales have their destiny in their hands, with any two wins taking them to 17 points and getting that top spot. Bonus points are a nice irrelevance now.

For Fiji, they need to beat Wales in their remaining game at a minimum and then hope for a favour from elsewhere. A 4-1 win would see them on 11 points with Wales on 10, so they'd need Uruguay to beat Wales or Australia to be limited to 4 points from their two games.

Georgia and Uruguay are looking perilous, on 1 win a piece but without Fiji's bonus points, and with tough games left. If Australia beat Uruguay, both Uruguay and Georgia are out. The most either will be able to get is 9 points in that situation and with Australia on at least 10 and Wales and Fiji close to 10 and playing each other, the points total will be insurmountable.

Should Uruguay beat Australia, the pool will be open to everyone. However what I see as more likely is Australia beating Uruguay to put them and Georgia out the running. Fiji will then be playing for survival against Wales, but even in the unlikely scenario they win they'll then be relying on Uruguay or Georgia to do them a huge favour.

Last edited by robbo277 on Thu 03 Oct 2019, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:07 pm

Any two wins?! There are only two games left!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:09 pm

Also, Wales play Fiji next and Uruguay last. Or did I misunderstand your post?!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:09 pm

The Oracle wrote:Any two wins?!  There are only two games left!

Oh don't be thinking about the plane so early. You'll jinx yourself with lingo like that Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:16 pm

.......of the pools Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:38 pm

Still not too worried about Fiji. A few late scores distorted the scoreline. Georgia were better than that.

The Wales Georgia game was over in 20 minutes. This took over 60 minutes to be done as a contest.

Except us to keep it tight, smash it up, strong start, and then just do enough - probably a few players playing within themselves to avoid injury, frankly.

Potential banana skin, but they won't be mentally switched off with AWJ as captain. That's one of the positives he brings - don't be afraid of getting up in their faces. Don't be afraid to dominate them just because they're the plucky Fijians.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:39 pm

...that's better.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:39 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:44 pm

Good stuff. It's why we love rugby. A man's game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 03 Oct 2019, 3:44 pm

...for the wimmin too......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Oct 2019, 4:29 pm

miaow wrote:Still not too worried about Fiji. A few late scores distorted the scoreline. Georgia were better than that.

The Wales Georgia game was over in 20 minutes. This took over 60 minutes to be done as a contest.

Except us to keep it tight, smash it up, strong start, and then just do enough - probably a few players playing within themselves to avoid injury, frankly.

Potential banana skin, but they won't be mentally switched off with AWJ as captain. That's one of the positives he brings - don't be afraid of getting up in their faces. Don't be afraid to dominate them just because they're the plucky Fijians.

Fiji are so much fun to watch though. Some of the ball skills are wonderful.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 03 Oct 2019, 4:34 pm

The Oracle wrote:Any two wins?!  There are only two games left!

Meant any win x2. I.e. bonus points aren't an issue. 3-0 twice would guarantee top spot.

The Oracle wrote:Also, Wales play Fiji next and Uruguay last.  Or did I misunderstand your post?!

That one's my error. Give me a sec...

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2019, 5:54 pm

Appreciate the effort here, robbo, but perhaps overthinking it a bit.

Wales beat Fiji they top the group. Wales lose to Fiji, they fight with Australia for who tops the group. Both Wales and Australia will be the teams qualifying. Wales draw with a bonus point against Fiji and they will top the group - needing only a 4 try win v Uruguay.

Basically only one more game of importancein this group.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 03 Oct 2019, 6:07 pm

Fiji can be very dangerous but they're poor at the basics, including lineout and maul. So we'll probably be looking to play possession and territory, waiting for them to implode or run out of gas. Their scrum was very strong today, I really didn't expect that. Georgia were particularly poor though, and probably made Fiji look a bit better than they are. I think Wales will get 10 points from these final two games.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 Oct 2019, 7:54 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Fiji can be very dangerous but they're poor at the basics, including lineout and maul. So we'll probably be looking to play possession and territory, waiting for them to implode or run out of gas. Their scrum was very strong today, I really didn't expect that. Georgia were particularly poor though, and probably made Fiji look a bit better than they are. I think Wales will get 10 points from these final two games.

Their set piece yesterday, scrum included was better than Georgia. I think you are being very harsh on Fiji. They lack depth in the front five and were unlucky to have a four day turn around and be missing some of their best players against Uruguay. They deserved far better against Australia too. Score did not reflect the game at all.

But wales should beat them well. It won’t be easy because they have some amazing players, as many as Australia do (and I’m not just talking about Aussies Fijians).

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 04 Oct 2019, 12:10 pm

miaow wrote:Appreciate the effort here, robbo, but perhaps overthinking it a bit.

Wales beat Fiji they top the group. Wales lose to Fiji, they fight with Australia for who tops the group. Both Wales and Australia will be the teams qualifying. Wales draw with a bonus point against Fiji and they will top the group - needing only a 4 try win v Uruguay.

Potentially. I guess it's a mathematically interesting pool, all 5 teams still have a notional chance of qualifying. And as a neutral in the pool I was looking more at every team, rather than just Wales.

In reality, you're probably right. However the next game is Uruguay vs Australia and if Uruguay win that then the pool is blown open, which is kinda what I was getting at. This differs to, say, Pool B where even if Namibia were to turn over the All Blacks tomorrow they'll probably still not qualify. So it's a game of importance, even if we can be fairly confident with how the result will go.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2019, 12:13 pm

Yeah, it's interesting in that everyone has/will win a game at least, you're right. Good on Uruguay for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 Oct 2019, 2:23 pm

robbo277 wrote:
miaow wrote:Appreciate the effort here, robbo, but perhaps overthinking it a bit.

Potentially. I guess it's a mathematically interesting pool, all 5 teams still have a notional chance of qualifying. And as a neutral in the pool I was looking more at every team, rather than just Wales.

In reality, you're probably right. However the next game is Uruguay vs Australia and if Uruguay win that then the pool is blown open, which is kinda what I was getting at. This differs to, say, Pool B where even if Namibia were to turn over the All Blacks tomorrow they'll probably still not qualify. So it's a game of importance, even if we can be fairly confident with how the result will go.

Most of the pools apart from B are like that. The lesser played nations are closing the gap on the five nations and tri nations teams very quickly. Argentina, Italy and the Pacific Rim teams are somewhere between the two.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 04 Oct 2019, 4:17 pm

Pool A and Pool C are still live, but they're looking like 3 way shootouts with the game tomorrow between England and Argentina and Japan vs Scotland providing the most intrigue at current. Hut they're easy enough to fathom out.

Pool B, with today's result, is now pretty much settled.

Pool D has the most permutations because everyone could still qualify, which is why I tried to work out who needs what. But if it's anything over than Wales 1, Australia 2, Fiji 3, Georgia 4 and then Uruguay I'd be very surprised.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 04 Oct 2019, 4:42 pm

It's great for the game...the minnows v the supposed elites...in games that really Do matter.  A time when minnow sides can seek vengeance for all the implied or real slights during the intervals between WCs.

But....... are these 'minnows' just getting a little uppity about themselves?  They is getting not to know their rightful place!  Didn't I hear correctly recently that the Uruguayans think themselves the equal of Australia and Wales?

That kinda stuff just shouldn't be allowed!  They should be sanctioned.  Maybe have their win nullified and have them sent home in disgrace.  Ya gotta stand up to them.  Too much sake.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 Oct 2019, 5:58 pm

SecretFly wrote:It's great for the game...the minnows v the supposed elites...in games that really Do matter.  A time when minnow sides can seek vengeance for all the implied or real slights during the intervals between WCs.

But....... are these 'minnows' just getting a little uppity about themselves?  They is getting not to know their rightful place!  Didn't I hear correctly recently that the Uruguayans think themselves the equal of Australia and Wales?

That kinda stuff just shouldn't be allowed!  They should be sanctioned.  Maybe have their win nullified and have them sent home in disgrace.  Ya gotta stand up to them.  Too much sake.

Well if it’s any consolation in a week or two 90% of the people thinking that Australia might lose to Uruguay will have forgotten Los Teros are even a thing for another four years.

Hopefully I am wrong but I’m sure you remember the darker days of the early 90s where the five nations press was all about “Le crunch”, I think we can empathise with the plight of the lower ranked nations.

This RWC has been superb for Los Teros, the brave Blossoms and I think we all hope for a few more similar performances that scream “we are hear” to the financially powerful unions of the world.

Building a bigger game encompassing more people is the obvious way to make the game more financially sound and spread the word.

In a slightly unexpected way Eddie Jones tribute Jeff Sayle encapsulates the spirit of the game, something that can seem so lost in the sport today

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2019, 6:09 pm

I think a bit of a bruising and a proper test match against Fiji will benefit Wales. We've seen the scramble defence tested against Australia, we've seen how we struggled in the conditions when the ball is moved through the hands at pace. Another game like that - but even more loose, and even more heavy collisions - will help prepare us for what's to come.

If it's failure, and then facing England and possibly NZ, well, so be it. But if we win the match with a less than ideal result and performance, really given a test by Fiji, it keeps the players hungry, humble, and gives the muscle memory of what it's like to face pace, physicality, and flair in the sweltering conditions.

We're likely to play France, SA, and NZ/Eng if we get that far. All 3 teams would bring variations on those themes.

So I'm hoping for a good test from Fiji. Particularly for players like Wyn Jones, Wainwright, Adams etc. Players who won't have faced anything like this at test level. Let's see what they've got, how everyone responds to a bit of manshaming, the whooping and chattering after a massive hit, or a end to end try. It's physical, it's mental, it's tactical. Perfect test really for Wales. If we've got hopes of lifting the trophy, this is a perfect game to see where we are, and how we'll deal with what France and SA throw at us as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 Oct 2019, 8:26 pm

miaow wrote:I think a bit of a bruising and a proper test match against Fiji will benefit Wales. We've seen the scramble defence tested against Australia, we've seen how we struggled in the conditions when the ball is moved through the hands at pace. Another game like that - but even more loose, and even more heavy collisions - will help prepare us for what's to come.

If it's failure, and then facing England and possibly NZ, well, so be it. But if we win the match with a less than ideal result and performance, really given a test by Fiji, it keeps the players hungry, humble, and gives the muscle memory of what it's like to face pace, physicality, and flair in the sweltering conditions.

We're likely to play France, SA, and NZ/Eng if we get that far. All 3 teams would bring variations on those themes.

So I'm hoping for a good test from Fiji. Particularly for players like Wyn Jones, Wainwright, Adams etc. Players who won't have faced anything like this at test level. Let's see what they've got, how everyone responds to a bit of manshaming, the whooping and chattering after a massive hit, or a end to end try. It's physical, it's mental, it's tactical. Perfect test really for Wales. If we've got hopes of lifting the trophy, this is a perfect game to see where we are, and how we'll deal with what France and SA throw at us as well.

I don’t doubt we are going to get one hell of a game. They have everything to fight for, as do Uruguay, but so do we.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 04 Oct 2019, 11:54 pm

Looking forward to this test immensely. It’ll be a good test for Wainwright against their 7 again and players like North and Adams will be very busy too.

I don’t think Wales will win easily, but a good old ding dong will definitely benefit us, albeit if we do get through it we may lose some momentum against Uruguay through changes and then a week break after that.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 6:15 am

Right C’mon Uruguay

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 6:29 am

Hooper really has to watch his tackling. Just grabbed a player by the jaw in a clothesline tackle

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 6:30 am

Another high tackle by Australia

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 6:32 am

Aussie should be down to 13 men considering the second tackle was a yellow card

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 6:48 am

Lovely pass by Beale to put Petaia through for a debut try.

Beale has a gum shield in the colours of the Aboriginal Flag, the Aussies are wearing aboriginal inspired shirts today too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 6:49 am

Uruguay smashing through bad Aussie tackling...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 6:55 am

Another great try for the Aussie backline. Great skills. Glad Wales beat them last week they are improving as a team in confidence every match

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 7:04 am

What a steal

Superb try after the number eight stole the ball out of the back of the Bazzers breakdown..!

Vamos Los Teros

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Oct 2019, 7:06 am

Try denied...

First offside call by the French refree

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Oct 2019, 7:06 am

What a shame that is disallowed.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 05 Oct 2019, 7:08 am

Clearly never onside.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next