The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hole-in-one - the real odds for an amateur...

+13
barragan
super_realist
4putt
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
I'm never wrong
Doc
SmithersJones
golfermartin
puligny
Maverick
oldshanker
theeldestboy
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hole-in-one - the real odds for an amateur... - Page 2 Empty Hole-in-one - the real odds for an amateur...

Post by theeldestboy Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi all,

I run a golf Society here in Dubai, consisting today of 64 members of handicaps from 2 - 28. Each and every week, 52 weeks a year, we play at the Emirates Par 3 course, a beautiful 9 hole set-up consisting of holes between 90 and 200 yards, with an average of around 140. So in that respect, it's a genuine par 3 course rather than a pitch and putt. Via our website, we record every players hole-by-hole score, so in the past 2 years we have built a comprehensive set of pretty interesting golfing data.

In that time, a total of 125 players have played 1969 rounds of par 3 golf, or 17,721 individual holes. To date, we have seen 3 holes in one, meaning a (current) probability for an amateur golfer of of 1/5907. On that basis, an average amateur will have to play approximately 1475 rounds of golf to hit a hole in 1 - that's 36 rounds of golf per year for 40 years.

Of course, these are just numbers - the reality is that many "weaker" golfer will have multiple holes in one in their lifetime, while many scratch handicappers will never shoot one.

I personally have never hit one, and nor have i witnessed one. But i'll be out there again next weekend trying!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Hole-in-one - the real odds for an amateur... - Page 2 Empty Re: Hole-in-one - the real odds for an amateur...

Post by Maverick Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:The ringer is fairly short... so I'm gonna say "YES".

And Mave with all those kids it could be a case of over compensation....

No a case of over compensation LJ more like a case one day I really should learn to wrap it up!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Hole-in-one - the real odds for an amateur... - Page 2 Empty Re: Hole-in-one - the real odds for an amateur...

Post by dynamark Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:57 pm

back to the golf one of our 'members' recently had a hole in one on par 3 which netted him 6(six) stableford points.Cue discussion on stroke indexes

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Tue 14 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

dynamark wrote:back to the golf one of our 'members' recently had a hole in one on par 3 which netted him 6(six) stableford points.Cue discussion on stroke indexes

Similar thing here Dyna. The par 17th at Earth plays over water but really isn't that hard a hole. However, the stroke index is something like 7 or 8, so 28 handicappers get 2 strokes! One of our high handicappers hit a gross bridie, 2 for 5, which is frankly absured.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:38 pm

theeldestboy wrote: One of our high handicappers hit a gross bridie, 2 for 5, which is frankly absured.

Same thing happened to me last week. Me and my shanking friend were right of the green discussing a ruling and the high handicapper was about 20 yards left. He chipped in and we didn't see it. In what other sport would get a bonus for doing something in nothing?

Was watching the golf channel this morning and they were doing a piece on holes in one. From what I can remember the European Tour has had 755 hole in ones to date. Monty has had the most. 9.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2