The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Winter

+23
TightHEAD
protea438
Nathaniel Jacobs
Mat
Pal Joey
jimbohammers
James100
Duty281
GSC
alfie
guildfordbat
Jetty
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
Afro
dummy_half
VTR
Dolphin Ziggler
Gooseberry
LondonTiger
king_carlos
Soul Requiem
robbo277
27 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

England's Winter - Page 8 Empty England's Winter

Post by LondonTiger Mon 16 Sep 2019, 2:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

New Zealand

T20 Internationals

Friday November 1st - Christchurch
Sunday November 3rd - Wellington
Tuesday November 5th - Nelson
Friday November 8th - Napier
Sunday November 10th - Auckland

Squad
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) captain
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Tom Banton (Somerset)
Sam Billings (Kent)
Pat Brown (Worcestershire)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Tom Curran (Surrey)
Joe Denly (Kent)
Lewis Gregory (Somerset)
Chris Jordan (Sussex)
Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire)
Dawid Malan (Middlesex)
Matt Parkinson (Lancashire)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
James Vince (Hampshire)

Tests

Wednesday November 20th - Tauranga
Thursday November 28th - Hamilton

Squad
Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain
Jofra Archer (Sussex)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Rory Burns (Surrey)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Zak Crawley (Kent)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Joe Denly (Kent)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire)
Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Dominic Sibley (Warwickshire)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

South Africa

Tests

Thursday 26th December - Centurion
Friday January 3rd - Cape Town
Thursday January 16th - Port Elizabeth
Friday January 24th - Johannesburg

Squad
TBC

ODI
Tuesday 4th February - Cape Town
Friday 7th February - Durban
Sunday 9th February - Johannesburg

Squad
TBC

T20 Internationals

Wednesday 12th February - East London
Friday 14th February - Durban
Sunday 16th February - Centurion

Sri Lanka

March 7th - Warm up 1, Katunayake (3 day)
March 12th - Warm up 2, Colombo (3 day)
March 19th - 1st Test, Galle
March 27th - 2nd Test, Colombo

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 03 Dec 2019, 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England's Winter - Page 8 Empty Re: England's Winter

Post by alfie Fri 22 Nov 2019, 12:10 pm

As I did suggest yesterday England are never far from a collapse so no huge shock that the projected 400 didn't materialize ...

However fortunately Buttler and Leach (who really should be batting ahead of Archer , I think) played pretty sensibly to get to a decent 350 and in fact by moving the game on this has actually given England a better chance of winning the match - especially with those late wickets today. NZ still have some batting ; but you'd think they will struggle to get another 200 : so the visitors should start second knock with a bit of a lead (eighty or so ?) and with the pitch perhaps playing a few tricks later on in the game will fancy their chances...

Still work to do - maybe Archer and Broad will get some wickets on day three after the slightly surprising distribution of the first four today. Though in truth Sam Curran does seem to have something of a "golden arm" so perhaps we should not be surprised.

Seems NZ like England couldn't find anyone to convert a good start into a big score : bit odd really on a basically benign pitch : but makes for an interesting match. Result looks likely now .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 22 Nov 2019, 8:54 pm

Having watched a fair bit of yesterdays action I'd argue that Curran was the pick of bowlers throughout, rather than being a 'golden arm'. His opening spell was excellent I thought, especially to the left handers. He was getting really good shape and finding a good line.

Against Williamson I thought he started a bit iffy. He was attacking the stumps with his inswinger but after straying to straight and getting clipped away for a boundary he pushed the ball a bit wider and looked more innocuous. If the ball's swinging I'd prefer he kept it up and risked the boundary to challenge the stumps.

In his second spell he bowled better, pulling the length back slightly as movement died and was rewarded with the wicket of Williamson.

I thought he used his bouncer very well yesterday. He's never going to bounce players out but as a swing bowler he needs to be able to pin batsman back, so they don't bat a yard out the crease to negate movement. He did that yesterday with accurate and smartly timed bouncers.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Nov 2019, 9:51 pm

Hi Carlos and all - I've only seen England's bowling on the highlights which inevitably never allows you to get a proper feel for it. However, I did wonder if - at least at times - Curran had upped his pace.

I've been wary of him using the bouncer as the ball often lacks speed inviting and receiving a boundary. However, yesterday seemed a different matter as perfectly demonstrated by the beauty which accounted for Williamson.

I totally agree with you, Carlos, about when the ball is swinging for him to pitch it up. A high proportion of his wickets - certainly of the ones I've watched - are lbw decisions achieved in this way.

Interesting comments earlier today here about Santner. I saw some international cricket in Auckland last year and got to know some very knowledgeable home cricket followers. They viewed him highly emphasising his clever cricketing brain and the balance he brought to the side (shades of Ansari perhaps, Olly Smile ). However, his stats are underwhelming - he's never taken more than 3 wickets in a Test or first class innings. I suppose that's still acceptable if he's keeping it tight allowing Boult, Southee and Wagner to do their stuff. However, he didn't do that in our first dig whilst De Grandhomme was a willing and effective foil for NZ's speedsters. I suspect Santner will need to come to the party to at least some extent over the next two or three days if his place isn't to be in doubt for the next Test.

It'll also be interesting to see how the wicket plays over the rest of this match. First time there's ever been a Test at this ground and I don't think much first-class cricket has been played here either. Stewart in the London Sky studio and Atherton at the ground both referred to the odd ball keeping low towards the end of day two.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 22 Nov 2019, 11:15 pm

Well this has been lifeless crap from England so far today
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 22 Nov 2019, 11:28 pm

Really poor, a lack of any effort or ideas

The fielding has been terrible

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 22 Nov 2019, 11:30 pm

Root’s golden arm rescues a so far listless and detached display. An opening with the new ball not too far away.

Makes up for chucking away a review earlier!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 22 Nov 2019, 11:55 pm

Two overs to go before lunch, how about we take the new ball...apparently not
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 Nov 2019, 12:00 am

Not a great morning for England in truth...wasted review , dropped catch , Root the main danger ! But a long way to go yet.

Hey Carlos I do take your point about Curran ...and in fact I did not intend the "golden arm" remark in a pejorative sense : I rate Curran more than many on here , and simply meant to suggest that he (like Botham , who was in his prime an excellent bowler !) has a happy knack of getting a break through when not expected - sometimes with an apparently unthreatening delivery.

Root , on the other hand Smile

No seriously even young Joe is not without merit as a bowler and should arguably bowl himself more. England could really do with more magic from him. Otherwise better hope this imminent new ball gets a result. Surely Broad is due a wicket ? And perhaps Archer will have a bit more of a go at the stumps after lunch instead of continuing to overdo the short stuff...

221/5 game looking fairly even on the edge of the interval. Next hour or so might be interesting but I have a cricket match to play so will leave it to you fellows to keep the vigil...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 Nov 2019, 12:05 am

Alfie - you're off to play a match and I'm off to bed. Wink

Poor session from England although we shouldn't overlook that this is a New Zealand side with some talent and loads of determination.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 23 Nov 2019, 1:29 am

The new ball is 10 overs old and Joe Root has turned to Jack Leach...

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 23 Nov 2019, 2:26 am

Boy do we miss James Anderson. Stating the obvious I know.

The attack looks like one lacking a real leader. Broad has kept things tight but looked innocuous doing it. Anderson was so good at tying up an end and nipping in with key wickets.

All the talk with Anderson will always be about his destructive swing spells but he developed into so much more than just a swing bowler.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 23 Nov 2019, 2:40 am

It must be worth getting Denly to turn his arm over. Just try something different in a wrist spinner to tempt a poor shot.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 23 Nov 2019, 5:32 am

394/6. Watling ends the day on 119 not out.

Gone from a draw being a bad result for England to a draw being something to fight for. Toiled would be the right word, Archer and Broad not really a threat.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 23 Nov 2019, 5:34 am

The drop of Watling in the morning session really the key moment in this game so far then 

The good news is the pitch is one where we should be able to bat out a draw. The bad news is this is england
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 23 Nov 2019, 5:38 am

Also whisper it quietly, this isn’t the worlds greatest pitch either...

Hardly been enthralling cricket through three days.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 23 Nov 2019, 5:57 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:To be honest if the idea is we’re building towards the Ashes down under in two years (as seems to have been the message being peddled this week) I’d much much rather see Crawley than Denly at 3.

Also who’s going to be the random crap NZ bat we make look like Lara on this tour? My money is on Jeet Raval

Turns out it was BJ Watling.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 23 Nov 2019, 7:28 am

OK, after looking decent for two days, we're now going to lose this one. Oh well...

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 23 Nov 2019, 8:17 am

More good news is there's still plenty of time for England to collapse to Mitchell Santner. After he's hit his maiden Test century of course!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 Nov 2019, 8:32 am

Wow I called that wrong !

Not in my wildest dreams did I see NZ batting through the day for two wickets. Feared it might be a bit of a road but still...

Bowling ? Captaincy ? Fielding ? Whatever , it seems that England 350 was woefully under par. So much for the new approach ?

OK no panic yet but warning signs. Have only seen scores will have to watch some replays. But it looks as if the World Number One , Ashes winner project is still in its infancy...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 23 Nov 2019, 9:03 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:To be honest if the idea is we’re building towards the Ashes down under in two years (as seems to have been the message being peddled this week) I’d much much rather see Crawley than Denly at 3.

Also who’s going to be the random crap NZ bat we make look like Lara on this tour? My money is on Jeet Raval

Turns out it was BJ Watling.
When exactly was Watling 'a crap NZ bat'? Generally regarded as one of the best keeper-batsman around.

Casuals whom have zero clue about cricket shouldn't be opening their mouths. Which is why I'm going away, cos I'm too thick to be allowed to speak

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 23 Nov 2019, 9:41 am

Nathaniel has been banned.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Nov 2019, 9:55 am

Professional batting from the Kiwis who applied themselves excellently. England’s effort was lifeless; way too much short bowling and no energy in the field.

It’s a dead track, so England should be able to save the game, but funny things happen when you’re 200 behind with no prospect of victory.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 23 Nov 2019, 1:06 pm

Disappointing from England. What's Archers pace been like? It was always the big hope that having a genuine wuick would be the point of difference they needed to get some teeth abroad.
Obviously the kiwis must have batted with discipline, and theres not much help from the pitch, but theres some pretty average cricketers getting runs down the order and theyve outscored england first up. Some of the blame must be shouldered by the attack.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Nov 2019, 1:49 pm

Archer’s pace was well down. No surprise as Root’s tactics instructed him to bowl down five lifeless bouncers per over on a dead track.

Hope England pitch the thing up on a good to full length for the opening hour tomorrow (tonight) - they can still win the game, as unlikely as that is, if they take the remaining four wickets cheaply.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 Nov 2019, 1:56 pm

I have to say I've not seen much of this match...but it seems NZ have managed the whole thing better. With a lead already and four wickets left they might fancy their chances : England don't have a great record at salvaging draws...

Only saw pre-lunch : still surprised at the final score. And disappointed.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 23 Nov 2019, 2:16 pm

The tactics with Archer were really poor. The execution of them from Archer himself not much better.

Broad contained the batsman well, hence his excellent economy rate, but he offered no threat. He was bowling way down on pace, using cutters and cross seam deliveries a lot.

The fact that attack leader Broad, bowling in that controlled manner, has bowled 25 overs yet Archer has been flogged for 30 overs sums up the lack of thinking really.

If we wanted to bounce them out then Broad and Leach should have rotated to hold up one end with Archer and Stokes used in short bursts at the other, Curran rotating in to rest them.

It's a track that rewards patience from bowlers and batsman. Watling has showed the most of that so far by a distance.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 23 Nov 2019, 10:46 pm

Fair to say this is dull as ditchwater so far today.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Nov 2019, 11:19 pm

The awesome Watling/Santner combo notches up a 100 partnership. Starting to close in on the infamous Holder/Dowrich 200-odd partnership from earlier in the year. Root seems to beEngland's most threatening bowler, which says a lot.

Looks like England will have to bat for quite some time to save this one. 277/4 in the very first innings of the game and now looking down the barrel. Rolling Eyes

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 Nov 2019, 11:53 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Fair to say this is dull as ditchwater so far today.

I've just joined having watched MotD - thought you would have liked the game from Goodison, Olly! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 24 Nov 2019, 12:05 am

Attritional cricket tactics from NZ... Suppose it serves the duel aim of batting England out of the game and facing a battle to save it on a wearing pitch , along with really cooking their bowlers ahead of a second match which follows very soon after...

One hopes England have the mental strength to take their turn when they eventually get to bat , and keep the Kiwis toiling for a day and a half. Not sure they will have though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 24 Nov 2019, 12:11 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Fair to say this is dull as ditchwater so far today.

I've just joined having watched MotD - thought you would have liked the game from Goodison, Olly! Very Happy

Certainly much better than watching proceedings here!

At least NZ haven’t got away scoring wise yet - albeit I doubt Southee will be as defensive when he gets in...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Nov 2019, 12:11 am

''This first session has not hurt England ... Time's going out of the game '' - David Lloyd on Sky.

Sure we've kept the runs down but I'm still not sure about that. England must already be tired and quite possibly disheartened too.

NZ now lead by 99 going to lunch and must have realistic hopes of doubling that before we start our second dig in today's final session. We're going to need to really apply ourselves tomorrow to save this one.

Add to that, the uncertainty of what this track will be like on a fifth day for the first time.

Atherton now taking a similar line and contrary to Lloyd.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 24 Nov 2019, 12:19 am

I mean there is some logic to what Bumble is saying - NZ aren’t at the moment batting themselves to a position where they’re taking batting twice out of the game...even with a lead of 200 england really should be making them bat again, even when batting for the draw.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 24 Nov 2019, 5:04 am

NZ really gave the England players another tough day in the field...double ton for Watling , hundred for Santner...and some tail end six hits from the bowlers to rub salt in it.

However : Burns and Sibley are putting up a good opening effort in response despite spending all that time in the field. At 48/0 ...correction : were putting up a good opening effort ...Sibley just edged Santner behind and with six overs left in the day and Denly entering the fray , still 214 behind ,this looks like a difficult last day for England's bats and long suffering supporters...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 24 Nov 2019, 5:18 am

Sibley had battled away well , but it has to be said that was a poor dismissal...he had absolutely no need to play at that very wide delivery. Undid all his good work and put a lot of pressure on for these remaining overs.
Burns now very nearly caught at short mid wicket as Santner deceives him in flight...

Free entry to the last day now...NZ must want as much support from interested locals as they can get tomorrow Smile

And now Burns has thrown it away with a lofted sweep picard

53/2. You'll get long odds on England saving this now...although here come Jack Leach so who knows ? He might make a hundred tomorrow...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 24 Nov 2019, 5:35 am

Denly nearly runs Leach out in the last over of the day Smile

Well slight exaggeration there but he had to scamper that single...not sure he was expecting the call !

Anyway Leach gone now ...given out caught in close though I really don't think he hit that ! Wasn't game to review it apparently ?

Disastrous last few overs...Santner has 3/6 in 8.4 overs and England will have to somehow run down another 207 just to make NZ bat again. Just seven wickets left. Can't see it.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 24 Nov 2019, 5:51 am

Poor

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 24 Nov 2019, 6:55 am

That's very England. Although it stems as much from how they threw it away on Day Two.

I think last day was always free though. I remember thinking I got free entry just for having been to a day.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 24 Nov 2019, 7:15 am

Can't believe my pretty tongue in cheek prediction has actually turned out to be correct! So much for the new era, this is as poor as anything from England over the last decade. Including that time we collapsed to Roston Chase

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 24 Nov 2019, 7:18 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:That's very England. Although it stems as much from how they threw it away on Day Two.

I think last day was always free though. I remember thinking I got free entry just for having been to a day.

Get your money back on todays play mate

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 24 Nov 2019, 7:18 am

How very england
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 24 Nov 2019, 7:21 am

Hey at least it doesn’t count towards the world test championship....Rolling Eyes
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 24 Nov 2019, 7:22 am

Gooseberry wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Curran gets the first and then gets the settled captain for 51 and New Zealand have finished 144/4 in the end.

Stokes and Leach with the others. Weird to see Root bowling a bit of spin considering how reluctant NZ were to use any first day (and rightly, it seemed)

Interesting stat provided by the Beeb article - none of the last 101 test wickets for New Zealand at home have been taken by a spinner.

Really does make you wonder why they bother to play one...Williamson can offer a few overs of spin if needed. Lockie Ferguson would offer so much more than Santner is with the ball

Worried about the tail I guess? But its a weak argument in favour Id agree. They usued to pick Ish Sodhi a lot who could bat a bit but rubbish as a bowler.

Found the stats on that ....its 607 (now 608) days since the home spinner wicket. That was Todd Astle. They've only bowled 85 overs of spin in that time though, much of it part timers.

Williamson hasn't taken a test wicket anywhere for nearly two years.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 24 Nov 2019, 7:56 am

VTR wrote:More good news is there's still plenty of time for England to collapse to Mitchell Santner. After he's hit his maiden Test century of course!

Got the lottery numbers handy while you're at it , VTR ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 24 Nov 2019, 8:00 am

Pathetic from England. Santner scored his first test ton - what is it with England making these below average batsmen (Hope, Holder, Marsh, Santner) look like geniuses?!

Anyway, that late collapse has rendered it almost a lost test match, despite a flat pitch. Though, bizarrely, the bookmakers make the draw nearly even money and New Zealand around 8/13 (so very generous).

I can’t see England batting out the overs required to save this game. Even if England bat 80 more overs before being dismissed, scoring at three an over will only give a tiny lead which NZ will have time to chase down. Add in the second new ball that may come, the longish tail and we can see it really is a hopeless cause.

Tourists haven’t taken their chances in this match. 277/4 in the first innings and then fell at least 100 short. Had the Kiwis at 200/5, as well, but conceded another 400-odd. Just very poor.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 24 Nov 2019, 8:26 am

England won't save this, when was the last time they batted out for a draw? Genuinely can't think of one in recent memory.

Sadly no lottery numbers from me. I can only predict average cricketers turning in monumental performances vs England. Probably not that difficult really, as Duty refers to, it keeps happening

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Sun 24 Nov 2019, 9:40 am

Duty281 wrote:Pathetic from England. Santner scored his first test ton - what is it with England making these below average batsmen (Hope, Holder, Marsh, Santner) look like geniuses?!

If they are below average batsmen, what does it say about England then...

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 24 Nov 2019, 9:46 am

It makes them pathetic as stated in that very post.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 24 Nov 2019, 10:04 am

Should we call up Dawson to fight fire with fire?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 24 Nov 2019, 11:02 am

Worst part for me was the return to the "talking up the positives" fantasy land denial approach from silverewood in some of his interview comments.

Just be honest, England are not very good, got their bowling plans badly wrong, and have let a failure get into their heads and turn until a landslide.

The lack of fight and spark with bat and ball is the depressing part. Seemed like we might be turning out of a dark corner with the ememergence of a functional top 3 and a focus on tests, but even in a low pressure series they have made it quite evident that confidence in the dressing room is still missing.

Still better than Pakistan mind.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next