The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6 Nations Thread

+35
SecretFly
nlpnlp
majesticimperialman
Taylorman
No 7&1/2
Eejit
George Carlin
alive555
lostinwales
sensisball
cakeordeath
R!skysports
reallybored
EST
Hazel Sapling
Heuer27
jimbopip
Gooseberry
Mad for Chelsea
TJ
king_carlos
Prothero
funnyExiledScot
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
LondonTiger
Tramptastic
tigertattie
NeilyBroon
bsando
RDW
BigGee
Highland Shaun
39 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Scotland 6 Nations Thread - Page 19 Empty Scotland 6 Nations Thread

Post by Highland Shaun Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 am

First topic message reminder :

With the 6N fast approaching, I thought I'd be the first to start a thread for it, my team being Scotland because its my nationality lol.

First of all, we know that Danny Wilson won't be coaching as he's off to coach Glasgow plus there are rumours of Matt Taylor the assistant going with Rennie to Australia so that leaves a couple of vacancies available, hopefully after the 6N, the main head coach one will be available too, which I would suspect Richard Cockerill would be the outright fav for, but that's a topic for after the 6N.

So, who would you like to see be in our 6N squad, are there any new caps that are likely, are there any players possibly getting recalls or would we likely see any younger players get a shot.

This is the place to discuss so go ahead 😉.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6 Nations Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Scotland 6 Nations Thread

Post by 123456789. Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:58 am

I’ve watched a bit of the u20s matches, from what I recall they were well off the pace against Ireland, close against England and did well against Italy. If they’re looking to get experience of what it’s like to play for Scotland they could do worse than starting poorly in Round 1, losing valiantly in Round 2 and recording a close away win against Italy in Round 3. Still Italy are no slouches at this level and did beat Wales if I recall correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:25 am

Yesterday at 8:52 pm
by SecretFly
tigertattie wrote:

3 wins from 3 and Toonie gets his annual bonus
... a Christmas card from Finn?

10 pounds from Dodson and a box of Celebrations.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:14 pm

Darcy out for the rest of the tournament. Aggravated previous injury

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:16 pm

Baaaaaaaaws

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:17 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/darcy-graham-richard-cockerill/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:47 pm

Never rains and all that. Kinghorn isn't a bad replacement. Maitland hasn't been great though.

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:02 am

Ah as we feared. Shame about that, he was in great form coming into the tournament and now he'll hopefully just get a run of games before the end of the season.

Scotland vs France.. Are we worried? Or excited?I'm more excited than worried. I think Scotland can step it up a gear and push France all the way. I'm really excited to see how Scotland approach the game and if they'll aim to retain the ball a little bit more.

I'm still hopeful this can be a successful tournament for Scotland. Winning the final two games would be a big step forward heading into the summer, it's just a case of wether Scotland have the mettle to string together a decent final 160 minutes of rugby. Against two excellent teams in France and Wales that is going to have to be close to 140-150 mins of excellent defensive and attacking rugby to be in wit ha shout of winning both games.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 am

I think the blueprint to beat France is still the same - try and dominate possession and territory, keep in touch until 50-60 minutes and try and go in for the kill when the game opens up and the big boys tire.

Problem is that window of opportunity is significantly reduced now they have decent coaches and what appears to be better fitness!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 am

I think France and England look very good..... but I don't think either are as frightening as the bubbling publicity seems to be suggesting.

Think England are thriving on their ferocious physicality reputation and opposition players are arriving already tense with expectation of the hits they'll have to endure.
France look slick but also vulnerable - just how buoyant is that youthful confidence if things don't fully go their way. They haven't been made doubt themselves yet.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 am

Scotland are a very fit side so they should be able to keep attacking all the way to the final whistle. The French defence has been very well organised and much more aggressive than previous French sides, but they'll meet an equally aggressive Scotland who also have had a pretty effective scrum so far. My big worry is Scottish indecision in attack. France will pounce on that and send Scotland hurtling backwards forcing the box kick.

In terms of confidence, both France and Scotland have a very young halfback pairing so it's pretty much on even terms. That is gong to be a brilliant match up assuming Horne starts (as if!).

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 am

When you look at the worlds best SH's like De Klerk, Smith and Jantjies. They're all so aggressive and quick witted around the ruck. They can all make a try out of nothing and provide quick ball. Price is not that sort of SH, but Horne is pretty damn close. Personally I think it is crazy he isn't starting for Scotland at the moment.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:52 am

Bsando
You are right to say that France and Scotland both have young and relatively inexperienced half-backs. However you are being a bit one eyed if you think Ali Price is playing at the same level as DuPont. Yes, they both have a good pass and are quick off the mark. However in terms of decision-making, box kicking and an ability to take on opposition back rows, Du Pont is streets ahead of Price (and almost every other 9 playing for their country).
I thought Ntamack was too inexperienced to be playing 10 for Les Bleus, considering he plays most of the time at 12 for Toulouse. However his performance in Cardiff dispelled most of my doubts. In contrast Hastings had probably his poorest display for Scotland in Rome.
in addtion, if Harris is lining up against Vakatawa i think it might prove to be along day at the office for our ouside backs.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:56 am

Bsando

Sorry, i missed that you are hoping Horne the younger gets a start. He would prove to be better opponent for Du Pont: better decision making and great breaker around the ruck. However he is less physical than Price and therefore Toonie will undoubtedly decide to keep him on the bench.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:38 am

Yeah I fully expect Toonie to stick with price starting sadly. It would be a nice surprise if he starts Horne though! I think he needs to be brave and reward Horne with a start for his good work so far.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:49 pm

123456789. wrote:Never rains and all that. Kinghorn isn't a bad replacement. Maitland hasn't been great though.

This is why its bloody silly to rush players back in the 6Ns where we've basically nothing to play for.

Let them recover and ease back in gentley.

Same with Skinner. Everyone wants him to play vs France. Its silly to risk re-injuring him against one of the most physical international sides in the world.

PS, Maitland has been great. Massive effort in defence and its not his fault the ball isnt getting passed Sam, the one man ineffective battering ram, Johnson.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:08 pm

tigertattie wrote:
123456789. wrote:Never rains and all that. Kinghorn isn't a bad replacement. Maitland hasn't been great though.

This is why its bloody silly to rush players back in the 6Ns where we've basically nothing to play for.

Same with Skinner. Everyone wants him to play vs France. Its silly to risk re-injuring him against one of the most physical international sides in the world.

PS, Maitland has been great. Massive effort in defence and its not his fault the ball isnt getting passed Sam, the one man ineffective battering ram, Johnson.

By that logic we only really have two games a year that actually matter, and 6-7 on a World Cup year. As soon as you've lost the first two matches of a Six Nations the chances of winning a tournament are done. The Autumn Internationals are just friendlies as are the June tests. There's rankings points to play for too. The World Cup draw is November. We are really, seriously up against it from now until then, we've just crept back into the top 8 ahead of Japan. We've got France at home on the run for a grand slam, Wales away where we've not won since 2002, we've never won a game against South Africa in South Africa. We've never beaten New Zealand. There's only two games left this year we'd be expected to win and no one would be surprised if we lost both.
There's battles within battles. We never managed to turn Gatland over, if we can beat Pivac first time out then there's a psychological boost. There's also the Doddie Weir cup. Normally I am not that fussed about the cups on offer, but it would be great to see this one in Scottish hands. France haven't won at Murrayfield since 2014, we know more than most the longer these runs go on the more they play a factor. Then there's the 62,000 people heading to Murrayfield who have paid good money to see the best rugby on offer. So we should be putting out the best team possible because it does matter (absurdly) going into the next World Cup, it matters for the standalone fixtures and it matters for the people watching.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:29 pm

123456789. wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

By that logic we only really have two games a year that actually matter, and 6-7 on a World Cup year. As soon as you've lost the first two matches of a Six Nations the chances of winning a tournament are done. The Autumn Internationals are just friendlies as are the June tests. There's rankings points to play for too. The World Cup draw is November. We are really, seriously up against it from now until then, we've just crept back into the top 8 ahead of Japan. We've got France at home on the run for a grand slam, Wales away where we've not won since 2002, we've never won a game against South Africa in South Africa. We've never beaten New Zealand. There's only two games left this year we'd be expected to win and no one would be surprised if we lost both.
There's battles within battles. We never managed to turn Gatland over, if we can beat Pivac first time out then there's a psychological boost. There's also the Doddie Weir cup. Normally I am not that fussed about the cups on offer, but it would be great to see this one in Scottish hands. France haven't won at Murrayfield since 2014, we know more than most the longer these runs go on the more they play a factor. Then there's the 62,000 people heading to Murrayfield who have paid good money to see the best rugby on offer. So we should be putting out the best team possible because it does matter (absurdly) going into the next World Cup, it matters for the standalone fixtures and it matters for the people watching.

You're absolutely right that each match counts, especially in a world cup seeding year - but these players need the proper time to get back up to speed or they'll be out for even longer. If we don't play skinner and Graham now it might pay dividends for the games later in the year?

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:46 pm

Skinner is building up his gametime nicely, will have pkayed 4 or 5 times by the France game. He shojkd be ready by then.

It is not as if playing in the premiership is not physical!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:49 pm

True, but thats not 5 lots of 80 minutes, he's been coming off the bench mostly though?

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:59 pm

A player is either fit or he isn't. You never know what will happen in rugby injuries wise. We could wrap Skinner or Graham up in cotton wool until November or June, five minutes in he could pull up lame. If we beat France and Wales we're probably up to 6th in the rankings; if Japan win every game the Pacific Nations Cup, but lose to New Zealand and Ireland in the autumn then they will be ahead of us even if we beat them and Argentina. If results go as expected we are in that third pot in 2023. To get in that second pot we either need to beat France or Wales, or South Africa or New Zealand.
Although if you want to be optimistic, if we win every game between now and the end of the year we'll be in that top pot, every game between now and the end of the 2021 Six Nations and we're top of the rankings.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:08 pm

With modern conditioning these days it's less of an issue if players haven't played for a while - it's common for them to be fitter than ever when they come back and get up to speed quickly.

There are numerous medical professionals involved with the players - I can't imagine there was any undue risk in bringing Graham back when he did, it was just an unfortunate re-occurrence.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:12 pm

We’re always shouting at coaches to pick on form instead of reputations but then we want players who aren’t even playing to be picked ahead of those who are.

Skinner hasn’t played 80 mins of rugby for months he shouldn’t be in line to play over toolis or gilchrist or Cummings.

He wasn’t ready for Italy but he may be ready for France. Only if though he gets serious run out for Exeter and shows up well in training.

A match fit gilchrist is better than an non match fit skinner. Plus we’d not want to injury in again if he’s not fully match fit. There’s a difference between injury free and match fit in rugby. Too often I’ve seen those not match fit get injured simply because they were not ready to play at that intensity
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 pm

I think the form over reputation line should not be as clear cut as it seems to be. In Ireland Sexton, O'Driscoll et al. never really played in the league but they still started for Ireland come Six Nations time. Why? Because they were the best in their positions, by some distance. Toolis and Gilchrist have been meh for ages. We know Skinner has been excellent every time he's played for Scotland. It's not about form and reputation, it is about taking into account form and ability and making a reasoned decision as to who should start for Scotland based on who is going to do a better job on the day. Skinner is a much better player than Toolis and Gilchrist, both of whom are hardly in sparkling form.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:17 am

Scotland 6 Nations Thread - Page 19 C95e3110

Ahhh those were the good old days. (3 years ago)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:21 am

Do those rankings make us world champions as we were one place above south africa? I say it does.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:27 am

Tramptastic wrote:Do those rankings make us world champions as we were one place above south africa? I say it does.

Morally, yes
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Those were heady days, that brief moment when you woke up in the morning expecting Scotland to win.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:19 pm

Any maths geeks in our gang?

Someone needs to crunch the numbers to see where we'll be if we manage to beat France next week. We're a baw hair above japan and with the world cup draw at the end of the year, we could really do with some valueable ranking points!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:35 pm

tigertattie wrote:Any maths geeks in our gang?

Someone needs to crunch the numbers to see where we'll be if we manage to beat France next week. We're a baw hair above japan and with the world cup draw at the end of the year, we could really do with some valueable ranking points!

The big threat you have is England sending a z list to japan in the summer and shipping a big leap to Japan. beating France wont make much of an impact, Scotlands rating is only a smidge behind theres when you add the home weighting. Frances rating is arguably lagging well behind their current ability because they had such a rank awful run the last few years.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:25 pm

Good to see Exeter have given Hogg the weekend off. I'm sure physically he'd manage fine but it must be mentally draining playing in-between 6N games too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:48 pm

Currently the rankings are:

7. Australia 81.90
8. Scotland 79.55
9. Japan 72.28

According to the rankings calculator, if we beat France then we're up to 80.68.

If, following a win over France, England beat Wales and we beat Wales we're on 82.12 and up to 6th in the World. If Wales beat England and we beat them then we're on 82.32 and we're 7th.

If we lose to France we're on 78.68 and 9th, behind Japan. If we compound that with defeat to Wales then we're on 78.52. If we lose to France and beat Wales we're on 80.52, so higher than we are currently.

The highest possible ranking if we win every game between now and Hogmanay we will, roughly, be on 89.10 which could be enough to top the rankings for the draw if other results go our way. If we lose every game we'll, roughly, be on 76.10 which would probably leave us 11th unless Italy get their act together in rugby terms and fix their Coronavirus outbreak.

If Japan lose all of their Tier One Summer Tests and we lose ours then we're still ahead of him, but that's not accounting for the Pacific Nations Cup. I also think the smart money is on the Japanese tests being cancelled in the summer which would leave them ahead of us unless we win one of our summer tests.

In short if we win the next two then we should be fine for the World Cup draw, if we don't then we're up Poopie creek with a fairly unreliable paddle. But let's face it, I think the chances of the international rugby calendar panning out as planned over the next six-eight months are on a knife edge currently.

If we win the next two Townsend can turn the Scottish Rugby Team into a monastic retreat, if we lose the next two then he's got to turn up to Paris on a party boat and get Finn an absinthe.

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Ah how I've missed the days of damage control with articles saying how awful the SRU is, and the political sh*tshow. Just goes to show that everything is cyclical, and that the SRU are an omnishambles to have set the national side back so much after rebuilding it for two seasons. We could comfortably be in the top 8 with our players. As it stands we could well be pushed out quite easily.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Well Skinner played the full 80 mins for Exeter this afternoon. Had a solid if unspectacular game but probably no doubts about his fitness now.

Interestingly the second row who probably did stand out in the game was Glen Young for Quins, who also seems to be nailing down a starting spot down there.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:52 pm

John Barclay has written an article for RugbyPass that's quite illuminating:

John Barclay wrote:We also have to credit the Scottish defence under new specialist Steve Tandy. Last year, we shipped 11 tries against Italy, Ireland and England. Against the same opposition this time around, we have only conceded two. While stats can be produced to serve their intended purpose (there were never going to be as many tries in the horrific weather of this year’s Calcutta Cup fixture than there were in the madcap Twickenham draw of 2019) there is no denying the Scotland defence has looked more comfortable. We have lost the fewest points and the fewest tries in the tournament, although we are yet to come up against all-conquering France.
From what I hear, Tandy has simplified the defensive strategy a little.

Beforehand, the players had to stick to certain specifications – for instance, at times everyone had to tackle low, which didn’t suit certain guys and made them uncomfortable. There was a pressure on everyone to make a nuisance of themselves and jackal for the ball. Now, instead of investing in the ruck, they’re investing more in filling the pitch and having more numbers in defence.

The boys enjoyed defending under Matt Taylor, but Tandy has provided a different voice and a new stimulus. The biggest test of the new system will come when France rock up at BT Murrayfield next Sunday. They’ve got bruising power and individual flair; they are fearless and flying under some fantastic new coaches. They will present Scotland with their greatest defensive challenge, one I am sure Hoggy, the back-row, and the rest of the squad are relishing the chance to tackle head-on.

Seems really odd that there were specific tackle techniques prescribed. I had a coach once who explained that the best pass was, simply, the one that got to your teammate quickest and most easily rather than the best technique. Of course, more often than not, the best technique is the most effective way. Equally, you would assume that with a group of international players, the coach would trust that they could choose the most effective tackle selection for a given moment.

I do wonder if our dearth of tries have something to do with the change in defensive strategy. Whether the fact we, apparently, no longer compete at rucks in the same way might alter our ability to get quick turnover ball to attack from. Although, most of the tries I can think that we scored came from our own ball. Or Finn Russell and Tommy Seymour intercepting passes. It could also be that our defensive change is all part of a wider trend in rugby and that blanket, packed defences are now the norm over competing at rucks. I suspect these things are cyclical. Teams stop packing the breakdown for a time to counter attacks, the attacks learn to cope with the change and then defences shift to the norm.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:13 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/finn-russell-to-miss-rest-of-six-nations-but-positive-talks-take-place/

So it seems some discussion has taken place behind the scenes and out of the media glare.

It seems some peace has broken out and the way is now clear for FR to return to the squad for the summer tour. Apparently his own suggestion that coming back in now for the rest of the 6N would be to much of a distraction for the squad. That is actually quite insightful on his part and in my opinion, the right call.

It seems a dose of common sense has finally broken out.

In other news Carmichael comes into the squad and CDP drops out. A bit tough on him as he has not done a lot wrong.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:44 pm

Good news on FR and probably a sensible decision all round.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:11 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/opinion-rotten-scottish-rugby/
This is an interesting read. A more professional version of what we have been saying for months really.

The Finn Russell decision seems a sensible one. Some time apart for both the player and the coaches but constructive steps. I'm no Townsend fan and I don't think that the earlier days of this debacle were dealt with well, but if Russell is back in the picture come July then I think we can say that this has been a situation relatively well dealt with by Toonie.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:08 pm

123456789. wrote:https://www.theoffsideline.com/opinion-rotten-scottish-rugby/
This is an interesting read. A more professional version of what we have been saying for months really.

It's by Iain Morrison unfortunately and even if some of what he says may be true, it has got his agenda stamped all over it and devalues it as any kind of balanced argument.

He is the most bitter old journalist out there and it is hard to take anything he writes very seriously.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:13 pm

So bored of Frexit now

Unless there’s a joint conference where both Toonie and Finn are there, I’m just ignoring all the speculation as that’s all it is.

Especially when it comes from Moanerson. He clearly still isn’t happy that his 2nd XV coach dropped him into the 3’s
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:32 am

tigertattie wrote:So bored of Frexit now

Unless there’s a joint conference where both Toonie and Finn are there, I’m just ignoring all the speculation as that’s all it is.

Especially when it comes from Moanerson. He clearly still isn’t happy that his 2nd XV coach dropped him into the 3’s

😂 thumbsup I’d say that’s gotta be close to the truth.

Well game week is here. After the weekends mixed bag at club level, thoughts on should and shouldn’t be starting?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:55 am

These would be my changes from Italy game for this Sunday...

1 Rory Sutherland
2 Stuart McInally
3 Zander Fagerson
4 Ben Toolis Scott Cummings
5 Scott Cummings Sam Skinner
6 Jamie Ritchie
7 Hamish Watson
8 Magnus Bradbury Nick Haining

9 Ali Price George Horne
10 Adam Hastings
11 Blair Kinghorn Kyle Steyn
12 Sam Johnson
13 Chris Harris
14 Sean Maitland
15 Stuart Hogg (Captain)

Replacements

16 Fraser Brown
17 Allan Dell
18 Willem Nel
19 Grant Gilchrist Ben Toolis
20 Matt Fagerson Magnus Bradbury
21 George Horne Ali Price
22 Rory Hutchinson
23 Byron McGuigan Blair Kinghorn

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:37 am

So just a quick one on Magnus Bradbury - are we all as armchair pundits being too harsh on him?

I ask this because we all seem to think he can and has played a lot better in a Scotland shirt but the tv pundits/current pros seem to rate him - Tom English had nothing but kind words and John Barclay thinks he played fantastically as part of that trio in the back row.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:13 am

It could be a case of him doing "the work we don't see" much like Ryan Wilson who was similarly given plaudits from the other players.

Still, I don't think we're particularly harsh - I think it was harsher of Toonie to completely drop Haining who, in my opinion, has had far more of an impact than Fagerson jr and Bradbury combined. We tend to hype up Fagerson or complain about Bradbury not playing to his potential then we get a player like Haining who doesn't get a look in despite playing better rugby at the moment.

We know Bradbury can play some lovely rugby but he's just not doing that and hasn't since the Autumn. As for Fagerson, I'd rather see Crosbie on the bench for me he offers a bit more edge, I don't get the hype around Matt Fagerson but maybe he'll grow into a role in future like his brother has. For me Haining deserves to start and has shown up each game, even if the rest of the team haven't.

So with that in mind:
Sutherland
McInally
Fagerson
Cummings
Toolis (I think he's been doing a good job, I wouldn't plonk Skinner straight back in)
Ritchie
Watson
Haining

Horne
Hastings

Steyn (good call from Bsando, blair has come off the boil this year)
Scott (I think we could do with a bit of variety- Johnson hasn't done much wrong but Scott is on great form and has experience to go with it)
Harris (as much as it pains me to go with Harris it'd be hard to justify dropping him as he's not done much wrong and Hutchinson sadly did do quite a bit wrong when he came on however I think he should get a half)
Maitland (one of the only ones that picks themselves)
Hogg

Bench
Brown
Dell
Nel
Skinner
Crosbie
Price
Hutchinson
Kinghorn

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:14 am

I don't personally think he is a bad player or playing poorly at the moment. I thought Haining took his chance well during the Ireland match and deserves another start against France. If Bradbury starts that is fine and I wouldn't complain.

I think Toonie see's Bradbury as first choice and possibly Fagerson as 2nd choice which I don't really get. Fagerson looked soft against Leinster on the weekend which was a proper test for Glasgow after several easier fixtures in a row. I think a few international players failed that test while others did pretty well despite the score.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:17 am

I should add I'd really love to see Scott and Jones link up but I cannot see that happening! Toonie seems to dislike Jones for whatever reason, he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't imo. I think Jones would benefit from moving away from Glasgow in the next season or two to a club and country that will nurture his talents a bit more rather than tell him he's "good but still sh*te" the whole time.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:20 am

yeah I agree Broony, his attitude and demeanour looks off at Glasgow. When you compare his highlights at Stormers and Western Province to the way he plays now he looks like a completely different player. It is hard to swap from the dry, running rugby of the SH to the, well, you've seen some of the recent Pro14 games.. I actually think he'd be better suited in France at somewhere like Racing, Toulouse or Clermont etc, but that would be a big call and risk his international career further.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:23 am

If i were a scotland fan the main change did like to see is my nationality to French.

That aside I do think France have looked beatablenin all their games to date.
England will be kicking themselves for the disjointed start they made and poor handling in difficult conditions. Later in the game France flagged and they did get on top without ever really firing themselves.
Italy obviously were never going to win but got far closer to France than they should've if they were really a clear strongest team in Europe. They showed even a shambolic amatuer side can score against them, noteable given Italy have been nilled elsewhere.
Wales will feel they could/should have won their game and reduced France to persistent infringing to stay in the game. Again they flagged late on.

It would be a surprise result but I do think if Scotland can get a bit of luck early on and keep the game tight by nailing their kicks and Hogg not drop the ball it's not beyond them to win. Difficult but not impossible. France are still a work in progress.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:28 am

bsando wrote:yeah I agree Broony, his attitude and demeanour looks off at Glasgow. When you compare his highlights at Stormers and Western Province to the way he plays now he looks like a completely different player. It is hard to swap from the dry, running rugby of the SH to the, well, you've seen some of the recent Pro14 games.. I actually think he'd be better suited in France at somewhere like Racing, Toulouse or Clermont etc, but that would be a big call and risk his international career further.

I don't even think it's a NH/SH thing, I think that either the national or club coaches have a vision for him as a player that is garbled and confused. The one thing you can say about Finn's move to Racing is that they've really let him play, and it's shown some spectacular results. The thing is they've also let Finn have weaknesses, and rather than berating him for them they've let him work them out of his game. 2 seasons on and he's one of the best FH's in Europe. Even if Jones moved to the prem, given the right club I reckon he could be back to playing beautiful attacking rugby. Somewhere up and coming like Bristol may take him, or Quins. France can work in selection favour tbh. I think Jones would be harder to ignore if he pushes for a starting spot in a successful T14 side.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Tramptastic wrote:So just a quick one on Magnus Bradbury - are we all as armchair pundits being too harsh on him?

I ask this because we all seem to think he can and has played a lot better in a Scotland shirt but the tv pundits/current pros seem to rate him - Tom English had nothing but kind words and John Barclay thinks he played fantastically as part of that trio in the back row.
I certainly think so, never understood the criticism he gets on here.

I think it's a problem that he doesn't play at 8 very often for Edinburgh because it's a technical position with specific skills and he doesn't get much practice.

I thought he was excellent against England last year and no-one has played better at 8 for us since imo.

Bradbury, Ritchie & Watson has great balance and Fagerson/Haining provide impact off the bench.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:03 pm

reallybored wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:So just a quick one on Magnus Bradbury - are we all as armchair pundits being too harsh on him?

I certainly think so, never understood the criticism he gets on here.

I think it's a problem that he doesn't play at 8 very often for Edinburgh because it's a technical position with specific skills and he doesn't get much practice.

I thought he was excellent against England last year and no-one has played better at 8 for us since imo.

Bradbury, Ritchie & Watson has great balance and Fagerson/Haining provide impact off the bench.

I think a lot of us recognise that Bradbury is and can be a great player. Basing it on last year though is like us picking Sam Skinner, he's not necessarily in form yet (understandably because he had a horrendous injury). Bradbury is frustrating because we know the heights he can hit when he's running hot but he seems to drift in and out of form a lot more cyclically than other players. Agree he could do with more time at 8 and that is is very easy to criticise from our relatively cushy position. However in my mind he's done nothing to justify his selection over Haining. He's been solid but Haining has been better.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next