The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potential Lions Squad - The Back Three

+25
BigGee
Bullsbok
Exiledinborders
westisbest
Maine man
alive555
mikey_dragon
Geordie
WELL-PAST-IT
king_carlos
RDW
RiscaGame
TJ
Mr Bounce
funnyExiledScot
chris_501
Rugby Fan
LondonTiger
Soul Requiem
No 7&1/2
BamBam
Hazel Sapling
NeilyBroon
lostinwales
bsando
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Potential Lions Squad - The Back Three - Page 3 Empty Potential Lions Squad - The Back Three

Post by bsando Thu 25 Jun 2020, 9:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Changing it up, let's have a look at the back three options from each home nation. Who would you select in your Lions back three?

South Africa had a wonderful balance to theirs in the RWC last year with the small yet deadly Kolbe and the electric Mapimpi with the former Wasp Le Roux at fullback.  

This is a hard one with a lot of good options. In 2017 Gatland took nine players who were capable of playing in the back three, two of which were also capable of playing at centre. So select a possible 7 back three players and a couple of utility players for this one. Then three injury call ups (three players were injured on the last tour, North, Hogg and Payne). Or just select as you please or who you think Gatland will select.

To add another angle, which former back three Lions will be left out of next years tour?

As with the last threads, players listed below are from RWC2019 and 6N 2020 squads. Add who you like and who you think may be selected (E.g, DHVM will be eligible for Scotland soon and could potentially tour) and of course, bolters!

England

Elliot Daly, Anthony Watson, Johnny May, Ollie Thorley, George Furbank, Joe Cokanasiga, Ruaridh McConnochie, Jack Nowell

Ireland

Jordan Larmour, Will Addison, Jacob Stockdale, Dave Kearney, Keith Earles, Andrew Conway

Scotland

Sean Maitland, Stuart Hogg, Darcy Graham, Blair Kinghorn, Kyle Steyn, Ratu Tagive, Byron McGuigan, Duncan Taylor

Wales

Josh Adams, Liam Williams, Jonah Holmes, Leigh Halfpenny, Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Johnny McNicholl, Owen Lane, Josh Adams, Hallam Amos,

bsando

Back to top Go down

Potential Lions Squad - The Back Three - Page 3 Empty Re: Potential Lions Squad - The Back Three

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 08 Aug 2020, 3:59 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:As long as it's not england I'd be happy for him!

I'd be surprised if it's not someone like Baxter or McCall for England next to be honest.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Potential Lions Squad - The Back Three - Page 3 Empty Re: Potential Lions Squad - The Back Three

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 4:14 pm

They'd be my top 2 on the shortlist.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 08 Aug 2020, 4:39 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:As long as it's not england I'd be happy for him!

I'd be surprised if it's not someone like Baxter or McCall for England next to be honest.

If all goes well at Leicester, expect Borthwick post- 2023 RWC.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Sun 09 Aug 2020, 11:03 pm

Having watched a fair bit of Super Rugby like a lot of people in the current environment I have seen how far away we are in the Northern hemisphere. I am/was a massive fan of Baxter and Exeter, but if England tried to play Exeter or Saracens style attritional rugby at International level I am sure we would be absolutely blown away. I am not Eddie Jones's biggest fan, but he has clearly tried to bring England into the21st century of rugby - example England's demolition of New Zealand in the world cup. Going with Baxter or McCall would be a step back.
I just hope Borthwick has more pzazzz as a coach than he had as a captain of England.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 10 Aug 2020, 8:07 pm

I'd say we've been extremely close to the saracens style myself in the last 4 to 5 years.
I'd also be interested to see how exe6er evolve. Looking at their signings in the backs has got me interested to see how that evolves. Baxter has taken forwards who in the whole I wouldn't say are international quality (at least not the top tier) so o do have hope he could bring together better players in an equally effective way.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 10 Aug 2020, 8:38 pm

England play like Saracens. If Saracens can beat Leinster, and England can beat most teams then they're probably doing something right. It would be very interesting to see Leinster vs Exeter though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Sep 2020, 2:44 pm

Hogg and Liam Williams are nailed on as full backs unless something drastic happens.

Daly offers goalkicking but I wouldn't rule out Halfpenny as he is still absolutely top class and a better kicking option in what will be an important part of the game, particularly near and beyond the halfway line. Larmour might end up beating both of them it will be tough on whoever misses out as it's probably 1 from 3 for that final full back berth.

From there it's a match up of styles for the wings.

Strike winger: North v Cokanasiga v Kinghorn

Jinker: Nowell v Graham

Solid all rounder: Josh Adams v Earls v Anthony Watson

Finisher: May v Stockdale v Rees Zammitt v Conway

We might see Watson or less likely Kinghorn tour instead of Daly or Halfpenny or Larmour but I doubt it, Watson could go as an out and out winger.

I'd go with the following

- Halfpenny/Daly
- L Williams
- Hogg
- North/Cokanasiga
- Watson
- May
- Adams
- Stockdale
- Graham

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3