The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The summer of cricket 2020

+18
dummy_half
Eyetoldyouso
Dolphin Ziggler
Pal Joey
KP_fan
VTR
compelling and rich
eirebilly
westisbest
guildfordbat
king_carlos
Good Golly I'm Olly
Soul Requiem
JDizzle
Gooseberry
GSC
alfie
Duty281
22 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 15 Empty The summer of cricket 2020

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Great ton from Morgan. Came in at 44/3 - now victory looks assured for England after this partnership.

(Spoiler: It wasn't.)

Last edited by Duty281 on Wed 05 Aug 2020, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 15 Empty Re: The summer of cricket 2020

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 1:33 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Bowled nicely, couldn't catch a cold...feels like a huge missed opportunity, especially to get Babar in at 7-2 early on against Broad/Anderson, Pakistan would be really teetering.

As it is, need to just chip away this afternoon, in between the inevitable rain breaks...

And going off for bad light at 17:00.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 1:36 pm

Nice to see the weather that had migrated down from Manchester has gone away for the afternoon session...

England will be after a couple quickly now to get back into this. Ball should still move around a bit you'd think ? If they don't break through soon they might be glad of "lots of rain over the five days".

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 1:44 pm

Would have been interesting if England had referred that. Would have thought not-out, personally, but the third umpire may have been swayed by Ultraedge.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Aug 2020, 1:45 pm

Duty281 wrote:Would have been interesting if England had referred that. Would have thought not-out, personally, but the third umpire may have been swayed by Ultraedge.

Looked like a gap between bat and ball to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 1:48 pm

So : was that an edge ? I thought it was , live ; but the squiggle on ultra edge didn't look quite right. Don't know what else it could have been...but whether it would have been enough for the third umpire we'll never know...

Some good bowling this morning largely unrewarded.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 13 Aug 2020, 1:50 pm

alfie wrote:Slip fielding hasn't been a strength for England lately.  Hasn't helped the cordon keeps changing. Root missed a match , Stokes , Crawley...

Actually surprised Crawley wasn't at third with Sibley second today. He looks the most natural to me. But they've all been missing them.

Might be regretting those errors as Pakistan seem to have weathered the early storm despite that quick strike at the start. If they can get through to lunch it might be hard work for the home team this afternoon.

Opening/top order batsman often make up a settled cordon. Not having a settled top order means that's been more difficult. Then the keeper has changed a bit between Bairstow, Buttler and briefly Foakes (and even Pope) as well. So not a settled cordon.

Despite those two shockers I still think that Sibley and Burns could be part of a settled cordon with Root. I would prefer Crawley in the slips to Burns though. Burns is usually very good in gully/point but England also have Bess who is good there and Stokes who is excellent at point.

An often forgotten part of the England side that went to number 1 was a brilliant slip cordon. Strauss, Swann and Cook were very good slippers. Then Collingwood at gully and slip for the spinners. Anderson back in those days was a sublime fielder as well who often stood a slip to Swann. Bell was a very good short leg and also good in the cordon.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 13 Aug 2020, 1:51 pm

Those drops are already starting to look very costly for England. If Pakistan make a big total first up its hard to see England matching it.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 13 Aug 2020, 1:54 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Would have been interesting if England had referred that. Would have thought not-out, personally, but the third umpire may have been swayed by Ultraedge.

Looked like a gap between bat and ball to me

The Stokes one in the second innings last week was an odd one too, the squiggle looked like it had hit the glove but there was no visible compression which there normally is. I think that should use HotSpot in conjunction with UltraEdge.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 2:02 pm

Another edge disappearing to the third man boundary. Lost count of how many of those have happened today. And edges falling short.

Think England haven't bowled enough full deliveries with the new ball. Lines also haven't been consistent.

78/1. Good batting track, ball getting softer = time for Pakistan to cash in.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 13 Aug 2020, 2:06 pm

never retire Jimmy! needed that

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 2:07 pm

That one carried! Another really scratchy knock from Azhar Ali.

Also looks really dark out there, presently.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 13 Aug 2020, 2:08 pm

Might be off in a minute

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 13 Aug 2020, 2:09 pm

The king is dead, long live the king

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 2:12 pm

king_carlos wrote:
alfie wrote:Slip fielding hasn't been a strength for England lately.  Hasn't helped the cordon keeps changing. Root missed a match , Stokes , Crawley...

Actually surprised Crawley wasn't at third with Sibley second today. He looks the most natural to me. But they've all been missing them.

Might be regretting those errors as Pakistan seem to have weathered the early storm despite that quick strike at the start. If they can get through to lunch it might be hard work for the home team this afternoon.

Opening/top order batsman often make up a settled cordon. Not having a settled top order means that's been more difficult. Then the keeper has changed a bit between Bairstow, Buttler and briefly Foakes (and even Pope) as well. So not a settled cordon.

Despite those two shockers I still think that Sibley and Burns could be part of a settled cordon with Root. I would prefer Crawley in the slips to Burns though. Burns is usually very good in gully/point but England also have Bess who is good there and Stokes who is excellent at point.

An often forgotten part of the England side that went to number 1 was a brilliant slip cordon. Strauss, Swann and Cook were very good slippers. Then Collingwood at gully and slip for the spinners. Anderson back in those days was a sublime fielder as well who often stood a slip to Swann. Bell was a very good short leg and also good in the cordon.

Agree with all of that , KC. Also had Trescothick back in the day , who was excellent at slip. Flintoff not too bad either.

Of course as soon as Burns gets a bit of a roasting he takes a very good low catch to see off Azhar Smile

Just reward for Jimmy who is showing why his demise has perhaps been prematurely reported...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 2:26 pm

Absolutely bucketing down. Could be difficult to get back out there today with more rain forecast later in the afternoon.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 13 Aug 2020, 2:46 pm

Nice all round for Anderson, gets the wickets and a nap.

Think Pakistan will be the happier of the two teams at this point, but does look like this could be a drawn game. Certainly unlikely to be much more play today.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 13 Aug 2020, 3:20 pm

alfie wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Agree with all of that , KC. Also had Trescothick back in the day , who was excellent at slip. Flintoff not too bad either.

Of course as soon as Burns gets a bit of a roasting he takes a very good low catch to see off Azhar Smile

Just reward for Jimmy who is showing why his demise has perhaps been prematurely reported...

Flintoff was a brilliant slipper. An old school one in some regards as he just had naturally very good hands and a huge reach. Crawley reminds of that in some regards.

Tres was an excellent first slip to quicks and spin. In his latter county years when Taunton was turning square Tres would sometimes field on his knees at silly mid-off because he was so close to the bat that he wanted to be close to the deck but didn't want to crouch. Looked ridiculous but he took some crackers due to his reactions and hands. Laugh

That cordon of Tres, Flintoff and Strauss was excellent in 05. As the former two faded out of Test cricket Strauss slid into first slip, Swann settled at second and then Cookie came into his own there. Collingwood would often stand in the cordon but was in that bracket off exceptional anywhere.

The important thing there is settled and experienced slip fielders though. Strauss was already experienced as a Test slip fielder when he moved to first slip. Same for Cook moving to first slip. Then Flintoff and Swann fielded at second slip for most of their county careers, etc.

I think England just need to try to settle on a cordon now they have a more solid top order. Let them get used to fielding next to each other. As said before I'd go Root/Sibley/Crawley at 1st/2nd/3rd then any of Stokes/Burns/Bess around point. As we've discussed gully seems to have gone missing from the Test arena currently.

Last edited by king_carlos on Thu 13 Aug 2020, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 13 Aug 2020, 3:30 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Nice all round for Anderson, gets the wickets and a nap.

Think Pakistan will be the happier of the two teams at this point, but does look like this could be a drawn game. Certainly unlikely to be much more play today.

That's the best rhythm I've seen Jimmy in for while. Great to see. He's no longer the all action bowler he was who could swing it round corners, bowl very probing seam, bowl long spells to dry up an end, take screamers at slip and come out as night watchman. Those days are past.

He's also not the only swing bowler that a side have take good care of and manage carefully so they can take advantage when the conditions are right. I really hope he plays on another summer at least.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 3:40 pm

Really was a great ten years or so for slip fielders , when you look back. As you say , KC , Collingwood was brilliant everywhere - and often stood elsewhere , as the alternatives were fine.
But I still remember some of the blinders he took : first day at Adelaide 2010 springs to mind !

Rats to this weather . Will give it another twenty minutes ; but without a lot of hope...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 13 Aug 2020, 3:44 pm

Apparently one of the wicket balls was 87mph which is about as fast as Andersons ever been able to bowl.

Not bad for a cricketer who was "in his prime" when Fawad Alam last got a cap! Pakistan have been through 40 players and 28 batsmen since he last got one despite having a ridiculous first class average and decent test one. Shafiq has the longest stretch of continuous caps for Pakistan despite a mediocre record. Just shows how much personalities, favourites and politics can come into selections as much as raw numbers.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Aug 2020, 3:46 pm

alfie wrote:Really was a great ten years or so for slip fielders , when you look back. As you say , KC , Collingwood was brilliant everywhere - and often stood elsewhere , as the alternatives were fine.
But I still remember some of the blinders he took : first day at Adelaide 2010 springs to mind !

Rats to this weather . Will give it another twenty minutes ; but without a lot of hope...

Think you might be safe getting a few extra hours kip here Alfie!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 3:47 pm

Play resuming at four. Good chance to get 17 deliveries in before the light meter comes out.

Would agree that the draw looks most likely from here, but we had far less rain occur than forecast during the final England-West Indies test and we might get lucky again here. Don't suppose England would mind a draw with a 1-0 lead!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 13 Aug 2020, 3:54 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Apparently one of the wicket balls was 87mph which is about as fast as Andersons ever been able to bowl.

Not bad for a cricketer who was "in his prime" when Fawad Alam last got a cap! Pakistan have been through 40 players and 28 batsmen since he last got one despite having a ridiculous first class average and decent test one. Shafiq has the longest stretch of continuous caps for Pakistan despite a mediocre record. Just shows how much personalities, favourites and politics can come into selections as much as raw numbers.

Anderson used to routinely bowl over 90mph.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:00 pm

49.1 overs left in the day. Chances of getting them all in? Nil.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:05 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:Really was a great ten years or so for slip fielders , when you look back. As you say , KC , Collingwood was brilliant everywhere - and often stood elsewhere , as the alternatives were fine.

Think you might be safe getting a few extra hours kip here Alfie!

Thought that for a while...but glad I hung on .

Good fifty for Abid , albeit somewhat fortunate . Appropriate he gets there with an edge Smile

Might be a key session now : bowlers rested , Babar not yet settled...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:17 pm

Finally they catch Abid!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:18 pm

Was just thinking young Sam was bowling a bit too straight and full...and he produces a nice lifting one across Abid to end his (charmed) life at 60 ...

Well bowled Curran clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:18 pm

Popped back in just in time to find out play was on and curran got a wicket...neither expected!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:21 pm

England getting a bit of a foot in the game between showers , with three down now. Will want at least one - preferably two - more before the rain/light ends play .

That wicket falling means one more over for Jimmy but I think SB is due up shortly...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:23 pm

Curran's golden arm working wonders.

Crucial for Pakistan that Babar Azam bats through to stumps.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:29 pm

Duty281 wrote:Curran's golden arm working wonders.

Crucial for Pakistan that Babar Azam bats through to stumps.

Indeed. He hasn't looked at his best so far...Anderson beating his edge a few times already. Broad going to work him over now.

Slightly odd Woakes has only bowled a handful of overs so far , given his good form ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:40 pm

All of a sudden looking a very good day for england

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:41 pm

The slippers are redeeming themselves this afternoon...

First Burns , now Sibley...good low catch. Broad has Asad and Pakistan in a spot of bother now with the recalled Fawad up next...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:49 pm

Excellent review by Root. My first instinct was pitched outside but was just full enough. Pak very much on the rack now! England will be aiming for 170-200 max with this tail.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:49 pm

Good review...looked out live anyway I thought. Not a great return for Fawad after all these years...

Woakes into the action very nicely thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:50 pm

Alam's recall isn't a profitable one first up. Thought it pitched outside in real time, but hawk-eye confirms otherwise.

102/2 to 120/5.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:52 pm

Latest installment of the Holding whackjob theories on LBW DRS here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:54 pm

JDizzle wrote:Excellent review by Root. My first instinct was pitched outside but was just full enough. Pak very much on the rack now! England will be aiming for 170-200 max with this tail.

Well Rizwan can bat. But not a lot to follow him so this partnership is big...

Holding banging on about lbw again...seems to think everything should be called not out on field and left to the drs...what nonsense. Make a decision as you see it ; batting side has reviews too , as long as they've not wasted them.

Darn sure he'd have thought differently when he was bowling !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 13 Aug 2020, 4:54 pm

That is quite a stance, was obvious after one ball why he'd not played for ten years regardless of his FC numbers.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 5:02 pm

Pakistan might have been better off leaving Shadab Khan in the side!

More rain. Probably curtailed things for the day.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 13 Aug 2020, 5:09 pm

Think that might be it for the day.

Pakistan will be glad to get off the field. But England shouldn't be too bothered either , as I gather the forecast suggests conditions may help their seamers throughout ; and they now get a rest before coming back fresh in the morning with two batsmen having to reset...

We should probably be grateful for the amount of play we have seen today.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 13 Aug 2020, 6:31 pm

Certainly Englands day even if it couldve been even better. Absolutely on top with the ball. Not sure Pakistan quite have he best attack to make the most of similar conditions (Abbas aside). Currans selection seems to have a been a mix of looking at the pitch/weather and also strengthening the batting (something Root apparently made reference to).

Azhar Mahmood mentioned on BBC that Sam Curran approached him to help him add a touch of pace like Woakes did a few years back, specifically noting he can work on using his right arm to add more momentum.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Aug 2020, 6:36 pm

Finally gets called off for the day. That mini-session in between the rain has decisively tilted the game in England's favour. Though how much play is actually left is anyone's guess!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 14 Aug 2020, 2:52 am

Certainly England's day. Will hope to knock this over well south of 200 - assuming things remain bowler-friendly. But of course they then have to bat ; and I fancy Abbas might like the prevailing conditions too.

Somehow doubt this game will need a full 450 overs...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 14 Aug 2020, 9:36 am

Looks like another cloudy on off day today but fair chance we will get nist of the overs bowled. With England one off a genuinely awful tail 200 is the absolute top end pakistan should reach.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 14 Aug 2020, 10:07 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53759602

England/Australia in 3 ODIs and 3 T20s confirmed for next month.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 14 Aug 2020, 10:09 am

A lot of rubbish making the rounds on the oulde Interskip about Jofra Archer. I may not be his biggest fan nor do i see the hype surrounding him made by the media but he is a young lad with raw talent. That raw talent needs to refined and developed, this comes with time and experience. He will get there.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 14 Aug 2020, 10:40 am

Delayed start today with plenty of overnight rain and it's still drizzling half-heartedly now.

Unsurprisingly, it looks as though light will be a problem once again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 14 Aug 2020, 10:53 am

Duty281 wrote:Delayed start today with plenty of overnight rain and it's still drizzling half-heartedly now.

Unsurprisingly, it looks as though light will be a problem once again.

Forecast is...not good. For any of the remaining days, in particular Sunday/Monday a lot forecasted storms about. Will do well to get a result in...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 14 Aug 2020, 11:29 am

Yes, would be surprised if we got a positive result out of this one. Might need an exceptionally low-scoring match for that to happen.

Inspection at 11:50.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next