The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish.

+33
Brendan
Kingshu
Welly
Geordie
lostinwales
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
sensisball
Maine man
Gicater
Mcsweens
Gooseberry
king_carlos
TheMildlyFranticLlama
profitius
Pot Hale
Anglobraveheart
Heuer27
Margin_Walker
mikey_dragon
Tramptastic
funnyExiledScot
EST
TJ
RDW
BigGee
George Carlin
bsando
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
37 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish. - Page 16 Empty The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish.

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 24 Sep 2020, 12:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Another chat thread dedicated to speculation, rumination, and general perambulation through the trials and tribulations of the club from the west with no forwards and the club from the east without a backs coach.

One day we'll have more rugby to talk about!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish. - Page 16 Empty Re: The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish.

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 04 Jan 2021, 8:11 pm

The good thing for Edinburgh is that the club is not short of back three options. Blain looks like a guy who could become an international in a couple of years and deserves more opportunities. Probably will never hit the heights of DVDM2 but...well...Duncan Hodge is the attack coach. Frankly anything more than a good club player on the wing is a waste at Edinburgh and that is why it is disappointing they can't make more from having a DVDM, Graham and Kinghorn back three.

Spending £250k to keep VDM2 would have been difficult let alone getting to £300k pre-Covid. As for coming to Edinburgh for the money from Montpellier, he was an unknown quantity and considered injury prone when he arrived. He has come of age at the club and has been offered (probably) £100k a year more to move in a career that may only last 6-8 more years at the top if things go well. If things don't and this is his only major contract, he would be kicking himself for the next 50 years after rugby.

Amazingly, Edinburgh have 49 players listed in the senior squad on wiki not including Muncaster, Frostwick and Chamberlain who are all going to be pushing for some playing time over the Six Nations. I suspect DVDM2 will not be the only one looking at pastures new.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish. - Page 16 Empty Re: The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish.

Post by RDW Mon 04 Jan 2021, 8:13 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Being born in Inverness is akin to playing rugby for Ayr. A guarantee of World Class....
I came as soon as I heard the World Class Siren. Very Happy

Quite a personal revelation - whatever floats your boat....!

Erm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Mcsweens likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Jan 2021, 8:25 pm

Weir is technically an Edinburgh reject, so like Al Kellock and all those before him, he'll fit right in at the 1872 runners up.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Being born in Inverness is akin to playing rugby for Ayr. A guarantee of World Class....

And a Happy New Year to you sir! I hope all is well in the world of GC!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 04 Jan 2021, 8:34 pm

World Class Siren... Headscratch
Alison Moyet, Madeleine Peyroux, Eva Cassidy, Melody Gardot...Kylie ....I rate them all but not to that extent GC, not I came as soon as I heard .

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Jan 2021, 8:37 pm

Kylie!!? Isn't she a bit young for you??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 04 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Kylie!!? Isn't she a bit young for you??

I once had a colleague who creased me up when she said, "My mum was in the same class as Helen Mirren at school... I can't work out how mum is now fifteen years older than her." Headscratch

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 05 Jan 2021, 5:05 am

lostinwales wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

I think that is more information than we needed.
I was talking about FES. kiss
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 05 Jan 2021, 5:19 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

And a Happy New Year to you sir! I hope all is well in the world of GC!
Thank you squire and I hope that everyone is well.

Been quite hectic in the sandpit. My mother in law got bored and decided to spice things up by developing a brain tumour in December which led to her bleeding enthusiastically into her head for a week. She survived that but is now essentially paralysed down her left side which means that Mrs GC is back in Lebanon a lot looking after her. Literally the only positive that came out of that is that it made Glasgow getting spanked by everyone not the worst thing that happened this winter.

No lockdown here in Dubai although we are naturally pooping ourselves a little more as to how many new cases there seem to be, brought over by folks who are just coming back from Christmas. Nice of the government to offer everyone the Pfizer vaccine for free though, so I'll tee that up over the next month. Apart from that, back to work but musn't grumble to too much.

In other news (this is turning into a Jimbo post), we are shaping to come back to the UK in the next 1-3 years and so are starting the arduous process of working out what jobs we can get and where we'll go. If it's the sarf eest (which it probably will be), then it will be classic posh commuter belt malarkey with Sevenoaks, St Albans or Tunbridge Wells leading the race. It might also be back home though and if I can score a job in the central belt, we will be in Edinburgh like a shot as the schools are fantastic and I cannot miss the chance to rock up in Stockbridge and completely lower the tone throughout the whole neighbourhood.

How is everyone?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 05 Jan 2021, 5:21 am

jimbopip wrote:World Class Siren... Headscratch
Alison Moyet, Madeleine Peyroux, Eva Cassidy, Melody Gardot...Kylie ....I rate them all but not to that extent GC,  not I came as soon as I heard .
Yes, I got too excited and stepped all over that joke.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 05 Jan 2021, 11:11 am

George Carlin wrote:
jimbopip wrote:World Class Siren... Headscratch
Alison Moyet, Madeleine Peyroux, Eva Cassidy, Melody Gardot...Kylie ....I rate them all but not to that extent GC,  not I came as soon as I heard .
Yes, I got too excited and stepped all over that joke.
Erm

GC, speaking of trampling over jokes...
Mrs Pip and I were watching the tellybox and they were asking a doctor about the efficacy of extending the time between the first and second doses of the vaccine; he went into a long, laboured, housebuilding analogy which was meant to make it easier for us simpletons to understand.

"That Jonathan Van Tam has really started something with his extended metaphors: they're all doing it now." Was Mrs Pip's acute observation.

"I know. It's gone viral." was my response.

Needless to say she trampled all over that.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 05 Jan 2021, 12:28 pm

BigGee wrote:Thankfully Fslcons have always been our third team!

Gary Graham is playing like a colossus at the moment. But i think your ok for back rowers.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 05 Jan 2021, 12:37 pm

We miss you GC Hug

if you do rock up in Stockbridge, be a lad and let FES's house staff out of the cellar. They've been in there since lockdown started as FES as put them on Furlough but he's not letting them go home in case he needs them back at any time for an inpromptu candlelight supper
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 05 Jan 2021, 12:38 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
BigGee wrote:Thankfully Fslcons have always been our third team!

Gary Graham is playing like a colossus at the moment. But i think your ok for back rowers.

There is s Scotland team place available in the back row if he keeps playing like that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 05 Jan 2021, 3:13 pm

Davidson to Gloucester I see, I feel like I’ve barely seen him play for Edinburgh yet and he’s off already.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 05 Jan 2021, 3:38 pm

I am alright with that move. He has not really bedded in at Glasgow or Edinburgh due to competition and ill timed injuries. If he is not going back to Glasgow, who could use him, going and forming a partnership with Alex Craig in Gloucester is not the end of the world.

Think guys like Atalifo, Kunavula and Groom may be up for the chop as well if their contracts are up.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 05 Jan 2021, 4:09 pm

bsando wrote:Davidson to Gloucester I see, I feel like I’ve barely seen him play for Edinburgh yet and he’s off already.

He is a huge frustration for me...he was absolutely flourishing with us...really improving nicely...then got high ambitions and jetted off to Glasgow for international hopes...

Thats one case where the lad should have just stayed and continued to improve and the call would have come...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 05 Jan 2021, 5:03 pm

Edinburgh must feel they are hsppy with Hodgson, who is improving nicely and Sykes, who also has potential

Would not be surprised if the hang onto the new South African as well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Jan 2021, 6:39 pm

BigGee wrote:Edinburgh must feel they are hsppy with Hodgson, who is improving nicely and Sykes, who also has potential

Would not be surprised if the hang onto the new South African as well

Is Carmichael not still in the stable as well? Bit lightweight but handy to chuck in the air at lineout.

I'm not bothered by this. Davidson has a decent engine from what I've seen, but Gilchrist and Toolis very much first choice.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Jan 2021, 6:46 pm

tigertattie wrote:We miss you GC Hug

if you do rock up in Stockbridge, be a lad and let FES's house staff out of the cellar. They've been in there since lockdown started as FES as put them on Furlough but he's not letting them go home in case he needs them back at any time for an inpromptu candlelight supper

Not Furlough, as you're technically supposed to pay people under that scheme. We've formed a "support bubble", whereby they continue to support me. I've granted them key worker status, as those vintage single malts don't decant themselves.

GC - get yourself to Edinburgh. South East is rubbish and you'll just spend the whole time staring longingly at Scottish property websites and watching the opening of Braveheart for the scenery. You're right about the schools as well. Can't beat a city where people get snooty if you choose the "wrong" private school...

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 05 Jan 2021, 9:13 pm

Yeah that's no great loss. Let's not forget we've still got McKenzie too who must surely be coming back from injury soon, in what must be his swansong.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:29 am

Hamish Watson re-signs with Edinburgh - that's a huge piece of business.

I'm sure he would have been in demand!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:32 am

RDW wrote:Hamish Watson re-signs with Edinburgh - that's a huge piece of business.

It won't help you this weekend...revenge is on it's way. steam

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:34 am

Looks like money doesn't always talk - I'd be amazed if we offered the biggest contract.

Maybe he's more interested in being looked after in the later stages of his career than £50k extra.

If he moved to the prem or France he'd probably retire with his body in ruins!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:40 am

RDW wrote:Looks like money doesn't always talk - I'd be amazed if we offered the biggest contract.

Maybe he's more interested in being looked after in the later stages of his career than £50k extra.

If he moved to the prem or France he'd probably retire with his body in ruins!

Maybe the money was not there for a 30 year old openside with miles on the clock and a Scotland spot sewn up. An extra year on his career and the ability to eek out an extra 10 caps may have made the money redundant

Trying to think of an English side that needs an OS. Maybe Sarries or Leicester though Sarries have not always bothered playing a fetcher. Bristol could have been interested. I doubt any of them have much cap left

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:42 am

It was Racing that were heavily rumoured, and they're definitely not short of money.

The Edinburgh press release said he had other offers on the table - that could just be words but I'd be amazed if he wasn't I demand.

He's also 29!

Last edited by RDW on Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:46 am

Good signing for Edinburgh, I would be surprised if that does not leave him as their best paid player as he would undoubtedly have been in demand elsewhere.

It is good to see the Scottish clubs hang on to a few of our stars. I think we all understand why some of them move on, indeed they need to in order to keep the production line moving, but that process also needs to be balanced. The signings of Cummings and Watson provide that in some form.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:47 am

A jump in cash and loyalty must have come into it. Grass isn't always greener.

Saracens aren't really in the market too much at the minute as they've just paid a massive fine and have no income but big contracts to pay. Tigers have three opensides on the books though one could leave in the summer. Jamie Ritchie is probably more in the price range we'd be looking at also Watson might not have forgiven Tigers from telling him he's too small.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 06 Jan 2021, 10:58 am

RDW wrote:Hamish Watson re-signs with Edinburgh - that's a huge piece of business.

There was a largely irrational part of me that would have loved Watson back at Tigers if Taufua left. Financially it probably wouldn't have ever made sense given the Mullet has had his injury issues and will miss games for international duty. I just love watching him play though, one of the funnest forwards in rugby as a spectator. Thankfully I will still get to see him when I pop to Murrayfield though!

It's a top re-signing for Cockers. Hopefully Ritchie will follow shortly.

king_carlos

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 06 Jan 2021, 11:41 am

It's funny 2 things happen when a player has a young family.
1. Either it encourages them to look at moving now.
2. Or they tend to stay where they settled and stay for pretty much rest of their career as long as the team want them.

I don't doubt he had money on the table, french sides do watch international rugby and they don't tend to care that much about internationals or not if they want a player.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 06 Jan 2021, 11:44 am

RDW wrote:It was Racing that were heavily rumoured, and they're definitely not short of money.

The Edinburgh press release said he had other offers on the table - that could just be words but I'd be amazed if he wasn't I demand.

He's also 29!

Turns 30 in October. Would say 2021/2022 is his age 30 season

Right about Racing, forgot about those connections. Would have been good for them, though I don't think they have played an out and out fetcher frequently either.

Does Watson signing make Ritchie more likely to leave for a foreign club or is this time for some joined up thinking with Crosbie or Haining heading to Glasgow?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 06 Jan 2021, 11:59 am

I think Ritchie is the one even more likely to stay, he has also got a very young familly and has time on his side.

If anyone else likely to go in the forwards, then surely is Mata

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jan 2021, 5:00 pm

Very pleased to be keeping Hamish. He's at the peak of his powers and with Mata surely off soon, we'll need his ball carrying. Hopefully Ritchie stays as well, and the back row is sorted for the foreseeable.

Bradbury really needs Mata to go, and Miller and Crosbie (who I both rate) can get more gametime. Gives us room for another youngster to come through, and if Mata goes I presume a bit of money off the wage bill when you combine with Duhan.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jan 2021, 5:25 pm

Forgot about Haining as well. All the more reason to offload Mata, perhaps to Glasgow if they could afford him??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 06 Jan 2021, 6:12 pm

Don't believe I've seen any chat about Duhan van der Merwe signing for Woos which is an absolutely bizarre move for someone who is Scotland's best wing three quarter. Why would that be attractive in comparison to a new contract at Edinburgh?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 06 Jan 2021, 6:47 pm

George Carlin wrote:Don't believe I've seen any chat about Duhan van der Merwe signing for Woos which is an absolutely bizarre move for someone who is Scotland's best wing three quarter. Why would that be attractive in comparison to a new contract at Edinburgh?
Reportedly £300k a year from Wuss.

Pretty insane money for a winger in the current financial state of most unions and clubs. Given Piutau plays fullback and Radrada plays centre at Bristol that wage will likely make Duhan the best paid winger in the home nations. Jonny May was rumoured to have returned to Gloucester for around £300k but that was before the 25% pay cuts most players took due to covid.

king_carlos

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jan 2021, 6:52 pm

George Carlin wrote:Don't believe I've seen any chat about Duhan van der Merwe signing for Woos which is an absolutely bizarre move for someone who is Scotland's best wing three quarter. Why would that be attractive in comparison to a new contract at Edinburgh?

Whilst I'm fine with him leaving for a big money move from an Edinburgh perspective (Blain or Sau to step up), but I agree that the destination is odd. Not massively ambitious when you consider his abilities.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 07 Jan 2021, 11:59 am

https://www.606v2.com/t69903p50-edinburgh-v-glasgow-the-1872-cup-saturday-2nd-january-2021#3945532

Teams are out

Can't be bothered making a new thread, last weeks game certainly did not justify it, so lets just carry on!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 07 Jan 2021, 5:30 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/duncan-weir-would-only-leave-worcester-for-the-right-reasons/

Mentions that Weir is settled in Worcester and that Sutherland is also linked to Worcester.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 07 Jan 2021, 11:42 pm

Interesting. I'd be very keen to hang on to Sutherland. Such a good scrummager. I'm not sure Worcester is the right place for these guys to focus on. If Sutherland wanted to leave for Exeter, I'd pack his bags myself!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 Jan 2021, 7:00 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Interesting. I'd be very keen to hang on to Sutherland. Such a good scrummager. I'm not sure Worcester is the right place for these guys to focus on. If Sutherland wanted to leave for Exeter, I'd pack his bags myself!

Worcester need him more so are going to offer more money. Chiefs have two capped but not likely to be selected looseheads so aren't likely to make an offer or one as good. Northampton or Falcons might also be interested.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Jan 2021, 5:09 pm

I get that, and if he goes to Worcester I'm certain he'll get game time. That isn't my issue though. He was probably the pick of the looseheads in the 6 Nations and many pundits are tipping him to tour with the Lions (I actually wouldn't pick him, traitor that I am), so I'd have rather seen him target a team with genuine European ambitions. The money will be better, but is Worcester really the step up that's going to develop him? Not sure.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 09 Jan 2021, 10:38 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/hamish-watson-edinburgh-2/?v=79cba1185463

Looks like it was a three year contract for Watson, an even better deal.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 09 Jan 2021, 10:38 pm

Sutherland rumours are that he's staying now

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 09 Jan 2021, 11:29 pm

Adam Hastings will be a bit nervous just now with Gloucester remaining bottom of the premiership having lost to Newcastle.

Will he still go if they get relegated...?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 09 Jan 2021, 11:39 pm

RDW wrote:Adam Hastings will be a bit nervous just now with Gloucester remaining bottom of the premiership having lost to Newcastle.

Will he still go if they get relegated...?
I'd be amazed if the Premiership isn't a ring fenced league between the 13 PRL shareholder clubs (current teams and Sarries) next season. Every rumour is that ring fencing is basically decided already due to worries that some clubs could go broke if they were relegated after finances taking a battering by covid.

If it isn't then Hastings will almost certainly have a relegation clause as all players have them built into contracts these days.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 10 Jan 2021, 1:42 pm

Watched Gloucester vs Newcastle. Few Scots on display

Harris got taken off for a head knock, correctly this time, and will have to go through concussion protocols. Likely he will be okay for training camp. Was good defensively otherwise and did try to run some lines in attack.

Watched Craig play in the back row at BS and he was nothing special. First Gloucester game ever for him in the back row against an excellent Newcastle back row though so can cut him some slack.

Chapman came on and gave Gloucster a bit of impetus but spent far too much time at some rucks trying to buy a penalty. Ref was not happy. Maybe Shiel would be a comp for him as he looks to have a good bit to go before international recognition.

Gary Graham gave away two early penalties, one of them clearly his fault at the ruck/the other pen he is trapped in by the clearing player, but he settled into having an excellent game at 8. A willing and somewhat effective carrier as opposed to dominant. Not convinced he is an option to be the starting 8 at international level, he does however look like a great bench option to cover the entire back row.

Peterson is not Scots, but was always solid for Glasgow and a sign of the depth we had when we were at the top of the league as a solid set piece lock. His work around the pitch looks to have picked up and it is good to see a Glasgow alumni do well for Newcastle.

Just a side note, both Newcastle wings were excellent (Radwan and Stevenson). If either is SQ, both would be shouts for the summer tour particularly if DVDM is with the Lions and Graham/Kinghorn's form does not pick up.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 Jan 2021, 5:32 am

Good scouting Hazel.

Finn has 3 x games to get through uninjured before England - Quins, Connacht and Montpellier. Cross everything.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jan 2021, 5:36 am

George Carlin wrote:Good scouting Hazel.

Finn has 3 x games to get through uninjured before England - Quins, Connacht and Montpellier. Cross everything.

If the Frenchies get their way and cancel European games it might only be one game! Although I suspect they'd just fill those weeks with domestic games.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 11 Jan 2021, 3:33 pm

Tom Gordon signs on for a long term deal, which seems to be SRU speak, for 3 years.

Good club player, who may or may not step up to full international level but will do s job for Glasgow

BigGee
Admin
Admin

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next