The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland v Georgia Friday 24th October

+12
funnyExiledScot
EST
demosthenes
Anglobraveheart
Highland Shaun
RDW
BigGee
tigertattie
jimbopip
bsando
Hazel Sapling
NeilyBroon
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland v Georgia Friday 24th October Empty Scotland v Georgia Friday 24th October

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm

Scotland v Georgia
Friday 24th October 2020

BT Murrayfield

KO 19.30

Live on ITV 4

Well at long last we have an international game coming up for Scotland fans to enjoy, a warm up game for the final 6N fixture against Wales the following weekend.

It will be an interesting line up though, as a fair few players will be missing due to the English Premiership final that weekend and it also being outside of the international window.

So what kind of lineup will we see?

My guess is something along these lines:

1. Sutherland
2. Brown (Captain in Hogg's absence)
3. Fagerson Z
4. Cummings
5. Harley (Been the form lock in Scotland these past weeks)
6. Ritchie
7. Watson
8. Fagerson M
9. Price
10. Hastings
11. Graham
12. Lang (Johnson to get a run out with Glasgow)
13. Grigg
14. VDM
15. Jones H

Subs:

Keeble
McInally
Nel
Gray R
Cowan
Steele (I fancy he might have a look at him off the bench)
Weir
Hoyland (Kinghorn to have a run with Edinburgh as well)

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Georgia Friday 24th October Empty Re: Scotland v Georgia Friday 24th October

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:12 pm

Hard to disagree with the lineup given our options, although expect it may be Harris rather than squiggsy starting. Still feels very meh considering we could be giving Bennett a run out. For me hoyland is actually ahead of Kinghorn at the moment so agree with the bench choice, he's really looked very poor recently. Expect that furra junior will get a run at 9 from the bench. Also expect Toonie will put furra senior instead of Weir to cover 12 and 10.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Georgia Friday 24th October Empty Re: Scotland v Georgia Friday 24th October

Post by RDW Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:21 pm

Pete Horne isn't in the squad thank feck!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 pm

RDW wrote:Pete Horne isn't in the squad thank feck!

For some reason I thought he was!

Who will be covering 12 then?? Johnson surely will be in the squad (although I think it's daft we've not called up Scott) was Taylor selected?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:39 pm

I left Harris out as i was not sure if he can play

Are English based players allowed for this one?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:40 pm

If it's not an international window the club would have to agree to release him (which they never do)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:41 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW wrote:Pete Horne isn't in the squad thank feck!

For some reason I thought he was!

Who will be covering 12 then?? Johnson surely will be in the squad (although I think it's daft we've not called up Scott) was Taylor selected?

I think between Lang, Weir and Hastings, they can cover 10/12

I can see Shuugy moving to 13 sometime in the game and Hoyland coming on at 15

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:14 pm

BigGee wrote:I left Harris out as i was not sure if he can play

Are English based players allowed for this one?

Got to think they should, so they probably won't!

We do need to go as close to full bore as we can against Georgia to get the combinations working. Whilst it is not ideal, Johnson probably should start with Harris if possible, if not maybe H Jones reverts to OC. Kinghorn is the closest we can get to a Hogg equivalent in attack and probably starts, though I really don't think he has earned it over H Jones.

No J Gray so maybe a Cummings - Gilchrist second row with Harley on the bench as the impact sub. Ritchie - M Fagerson - Watson back row is likely too small to make an impression on a big pack. Can see either of Haining or Thomson getting a start, maybe at BS rather than 8.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:22 pm

I'd go for

Bhatti
Brown
Berghan
R Gray
Thomson
Harley
Ritchie
Du Preez
Horne
Hastings
DVDM
Lang
Grigg
Graham
Jones

McInally, Kebble, Nel, Gilchrist, Watson, Price, Russell, Weir

I'm sure Townsend is looking at Wales and their warmup match vs France as a factor for who he selects.

Jones starting at FB gives Toonie a feel for how well he'll do as cover for Wales. Bhatti/Kebble and Nel/Berghan could be in a battle for a bench spot.

Turner, Brown, McInally I'd say Toonie may as well play the two he wants to be in the matchday Squad for Wales.

With Skinner and J Gray out it might be a good chance to start R Gray alongside Thomson with Harley at blinside and GG on the bench.

Then Watson can cover 7 to allow Ritchie a rest if need be as he's still coming back to full match fitness.

Du Preez, Haining or M Fagerson to start at 8, I'd go with Du Preez but equally happy with Fagerson or Haining.

Hornito (Am I using Jimbo slang now?) and Hastings to start, Russell and Weir on the bench to cover FH/C.

DVDM and Graham adds Edinburgh continuity and Georgia is a good game for DVDM to get his first full cap.

Last edited by bsando on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:57 pm

Bsando, you are missing a lock or a BS!

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Bsando, would your front row be called The Fat B's?
With Georgia I think we really need to have 8 players in the pack. I'm not sure Ritchie has done enough in his two appearances for Glasgow so far to merit a start. Cummings-Mr What exactly Is It You Do? in the second row. GG reminds me of when Stevie Archibald signed for Barcelona and after three or four matches a journalist started the post match press conference with, "Senor Archibald, apart from nothing what exactly do you do on a football pitch?"
BBB-Blade-Middle Fagerson as the starting backrow.

I think Lang may well start as he's big and that may be a prime consideration if the Georgian forwards are charging up the 10-12 channel.
I keep trying to imagine Uncle Squiggsy defending against the Georgians: I keep blacking out. So probably The Hardest Working Man at 13. If he's available.

I would like a DVDM-Not A Pony- ADHD Kid back three. but think King Blarehorn will be at 15 with Shug at 13 if rugby's answer to James Brown is not released. Mind you Toonie is just as likely to keep Shug at 15 and put Blarehorn in at 13.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:59 am

Harris will be released as he doesn’t have a game on at the weekend.

Also Lang has been mostly deployed at 12 for his pro career
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:26 am

BBB at blindside and Fagerson at 7 for Scotland Jimbo? You been sniffing the marker pens again??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:00 am

Harley is a second row, first and foremost, now and has been playing well there.

I would have no issue if he started or subbed in that position on Friday but we do have better options at BS these days.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 am

Looks like Finn is in camp now as well, so he might be in consideration for Friday as well.

Maybe Hastings to start and Finn on the bench, with the likelihood of that being reversed against Wales the following week

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:34 am

Strange that he's in camp as Racing have a game weekend and it's not an international week.

Hope he only had 2 beers...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:52 am

When is the team announced, it must be either tomorrow or Thursday :-O?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:18 am

Announcement due tomorrow according to pre match article on SRU website.
I hope we have a really strong side for it. They need a good warm up before the Wales game.
It would be good to see strong combinations in place  prior to the next game.
All Glasgow front row to start, and Edinburgh in the second half.
Harley Gray in second row, Cummings to bench
Watson and Ritchie in the back row to start with Haining. Thompson and Cowan on the bench.
Horne and Hastings as starting half backs replaced by Price and Russell at half time.
Move Jones to 13 and Hastings to FB at half time.
That's what I'd pick. 6/2  split on the bench for those big Georgian forwards and self protect the best guys.
I don't want Gilchrist or Grigg anywhere near the matchday 23. They are just not up to international standards.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:38 am

Some very good points there Anglo. thumbsup

Just the two points; who would be your starting 12-13? and I think Haircut would rather defecate on a Saltire placed over the halfway line as part of the half time "entertainment" rather than play at 15. I get a very strong sense hat at 10 he's being judged as himself, and fails or succeeds as himself. Whereas at 15 he'd be failing every time he didn't score a hat-trick and win MOM. Which his dad did every single time he pulled on a Scotland jersey. Every time. Without fail.

jimbopip

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:42 am

Jumbo, nice post.
I would start Lang at 12 and Harris at 13. I'm gutted tbh that we no longer have Dunbar around, and I don't think that SJ is fit enough yet. He needs game time. We miss Bennett, Taylor and Hutchinson, and I like Scott too.
But with injuries and loss of favour the latter 4 aren't in the squad.
Grigg and Harris just don't impress or inspire me as Scotland players. I wouldn't have them in the squad in front of those noted above (if they were in the squad and fit).
I felt that Hastings played well at 15 previously, and I was just trying to manage the squad by keeping him involved and getting Jones into his best position of 15.
I think Dave Rennie was a maniac, and ruined a number of players, Dunbar defintely and Jones nearly. High quality players that we can I'll afford to lose.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 am

Oh, and I forgot.
In the absence of Hogg, Brown to be captain, with the armband going to Ritchie if he goes off.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:50 am

I am pretty sure Brown will be captain and he deserves it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 am

Fritz&James Brown in the centres could be just right for Georgia. I suppose it depends on whether Hogg is back for the Wales game: if he's 15 then Shug should be 13, so does he play there on Friday to get his eye in?
Rennie? His favourites all say he was s brilliant coach. Those left out in the cold don't have a good word for him. I'm not sad he left.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:38 am

Apologies for earlier post typos.
First of all for calling Jimbo "Jumbo" that was due to my own Jumbo sausage-fingers.
And secondly, it should have read " getting Jones into his best position of 13".
Jones is gold dust when on form and needs to be operating in the team at 13. I thought Dunbar/Jones was our best centre combo since the last milennium. Even better than Dunbar/Bennett.
I feel sorry for Dunbar, Bennett and Scott. Just fabulous talents blighted by injury and selection errors.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:42 am

It really doesn't inspire me in the slightest that we're talking about Rob Har,ey, James Lang and Nick Grigg as genuine options for Scotland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:26 am

Harley is in form. Gray Snr has vast experience against the Georgian players who have played Top 14, so this experience will be invaluable.
Gray jnr and Skinner are with Exeter.
Cummings and Toolis need to find form.
Gilchrist is a sometimes idle, penalty liability in our red zone, I wouldn't have him in, he isn't the future in age or potential. CHH and Alex Craig do have potential.
Lang is the only 12 that has been playing regularly that is fit.
Grigg I wouldn't have there in the squad, but him and Gilchrist can make up numbers for the broader squad.
Sorry, I know there's some guys/gals out there who rate Both Gilchrist and Grigg, but they just don't inspire me either.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:13 pm

I get that we probably don't have much choice in picking those players for the Georgia game, but it still doesn't inspire me!

Gilchrist gets a lot of stick (mainly from the great unwashed) but I don't think it's justified IMO. Scotland has had pretty good strength in depth at lock yet he's managed to obtain 42 caps, which is a good number especially considering the period where he basically missed 2 years due to injury. He's also been well regarded by his coaches including Stern Vern (who would have made him captain if not for injury) and Cockerill, who know a thing or two about forwards and aren't exactly the sentimental types when it comes to these things. He will always put in a big shift and is generally near the top 5 most games for tackle count.

He's no Bakkies Botha but he's also not the liability and soft touch that many accuse him of!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Team is out later on this morning, I guess we will find out soon enough where Toonie's mind is facing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:59 pm

I think no matter who is selected for Georgia Scotland should win, there is enough quality in the squad to get the job done. It should be about prepping the squad for the final 6N match vs Wales. That could even be a possible 6N title if Italy somehow stun Ireland and England.  

Of all the sides we've played in recent years, Wales have frustrated Scotland and punished them for their mistakes most frequently. I'd like to see the aggressive and abrasive Scotland that pressured France so much that their prop threw a punch. That aggressive attitude has to stay intact for this new game plan to work otherwise the defence will soften and try's will be conceded.

The foundation of the team earlier in the year is still intact except DVDM, an in form Hogg and Russell are bolstering that backline. Hogg was looking quite ropey at times for Scotland in the early games of the 6N as he struggled to get back to form. He's back to his best now. Russell is back now and will be eager to make up for lost games. Then DVDM is set to add a new physical dimension to the Scottish backline that probably has't been seen since S Lamont.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:05 pm

bsando wrote:I think no matter who is selected for Georgia Scotland should win, there is enough quality in the squad to get the job done. It should be about prepping the squad for the final 6N match vs Wales. That could even be a possible 6N title if Italy somehow stun Ireland and England.  

Of all the sides we've played in recent years, Wales have frustrated Scotland and punished them for their mistakes most frequently. I'd like to see the aggressive and abrasive Scotland that pressured France so much that their prop threw a punch. That aggressive attitude has to stay intact for this new game plan to work otherwise the defence will soften and try's will be conceded.

The foundation of the team earlier in the year is still intact except DVDM, an in form Hogg and Russell are bolstering that backline. Hogg was looking quite ropey at times for Scotland in the early games of the 6N as he struggled to get back to form. He's back to his best now. [i]Russell is back now and will be eager to make up for lost games. [/i]Then DVDM is set to add a new physical dimension to the Scottish backline that probably has't been seen since S Lamont.

That always worries me - 'look what you have missed, I can do...oops'.  Although it is said he has matured a bit recently...

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 pm

demosthenes wrote:
bsando wrote:I think no matter who is selected for Georgia Scotland should win, there is enough quality in the squad to get the job done. It should be about prepping the squad for the final 6N match vs Wales. That could even be a possible 6N title if Italy somehow stun Ireland and England.  

The foundation of the team earlier in the year is still intact except DVDM, an in form Hogg and Russell are bolstering that backline. Hogg was looking quite ropey at times for Scotland in the early games of the 6N as he struggled to get back to form. He's back to his best now. [i]Russell is back now and will be eager to make up for lost games. [/i]Then DVDM is set to add a new physical dimension to the Scottish backline that probably has't been seen since S Lamont.

That always worries me - 'look what you have missed, I can do...oops'.  Although it is said he has matured a bit recently...

I'd be more worried if we didn't have Hastings. The last year really has been the making of him and I can't imagine they'd both have an off day, especially if Hastings was dropped to the bench.

Agree that it will be a bit of a meh selection potentially. I just hope they can beat Georgia and do it convincingly, otherwise we may be in for a long autumn!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Any idea how game ready the Georgians will be...?

They have a lot of players in France and some in England but I can't imagine they'll be as match sharp as a group as Scotland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:38 pm

They were training in France last week I think so will have had the same amount of time in camp. They will be probably looking to attack the set piece. It may take a while to grind them down as I imagine our lads will be pretty rusty at test level too.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm

RDW wrote:I get that we probably don't have much choice in picking those players for the Georgia game, but it still doesn't inspire me!

Gilchrist gets a lot of stick (mainly from the great unwashed) but I don't think it's justified IMO. Scotland has had pretty good strength in depth at lock yet he's managed to obtain 42 caps, which is a good number especially considering the period where he basically missed 2 years due to injury. He's also been well regarded by his coaches including Stern Vern (who would have made him captain if not for injury) and Cockerill, who know a thing or two about forwards and aren't exactly the sentimental types when it comes to these things. He will always put in a big shift and is generally near the top 5 most games for tackle count.

He's no Bakkies Botha but he's also not the liability and soft touch that many accuse him of!

I'd have him down as one of the better performing scotland players in the 6Ns. He certinaly didnt disgrace himself.

Jimbo will of course provide a sonnet or short story on the failings of "Mr Glass" but at the end of the day, GG will be "Mr soon to ge 50 caps"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Scotland Team Out

Sutherland - Brown (C) - Fagerson (Kebble - McInally - Berghan)
Toolis - Cummings (Harley)
Ritchie (VC) - Fagerson - Watson (Haining - CDP)

Price (VC) - Hastings (Horne - Russell)
Lang - Harris
DVDM - Kinghorn - Graham

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Scotland’s opening game of the autumn campaign will mark a series of firsts as Head Coach Gregor Townsend’s side play Georgia at BT Murrayfield on Friday 23 October (kick-off 7:30pm)

Scotland’s opening game of the autumn campaign will mark a series of firsts as Head Coach Gregor Townsend’s side play Georgia at BT Murrayfield on Friday 23 October (kick-off 7:30pm).

Glasgow Warriors hooker Fraser Brown will captain his country for the first time, winning his 51st cap, while Edinburgh winger Duhan van der Merwe starts and will make his debut for Scotland, as will Glasgow Warriors prop Oli Kebble, who is among the replacements.

Townsend has also named scrum-half, Ali Price and back-row, Jamie Ritchie as vice-captains.

The team features some returning faces with Glasgow Warrior Matt Fagerson making his first start since facing the Georgian’s at home in Tblisi in August 2019 and Harlequins’ James Lang lining up at inside centre to win his 3rd cap, having last featured in the 2018 summer tour, playing against Canada and Argentina.

Captain Fraser Brown packs down in the front row with Zander Fagerson and Rory Sutherland, with Ben Toolis and Scott Cummings pairing at lock.

Matt Fagerson starts at number 8 with Edinburgh backrows Jamie Ritchie and Hamish Watson on the flanks.

Glasgow Warriors provide the half-back pairing of Ali Price and Adam Hastings who partnered during the 2020 Guinness Six Nations, with Racing 92 fly-half Finn Russell poised to win his 50th Scotland cap as a replacement, following his Heineken Champions Cup Final appearance last Saturday.

James Lang lines up alongside Gloucester’s Chris Harris in the centres and the starting XV is completed with an all Edinburgh back three of Darcy Graham and Duhan van der Merwe on the wings and Blair Kinghorn at full back.

“It’s been great to have the players back in camp and as coaches, we’ve really enjoyed working with them again after the enforced break due to Covid-19.
Scotland Head Coach Gregor Townsend.
“As we start our autumn series the game against Georgia provides a real test as a first up match and we have taken the opportunity to select a side that reflects where our players are in terms of their game time this season, their current form, as well as the contributions they made during the Six Nations at the start of the year.”

“It is a testament to the professionalism and hard work Fraser has given to Scotland in recent years that we have selected him as the captain and he will be well supported by Jamie and Ali, who have grown as leaders over the past couple of seasons.”

“Georgia have a new coaching group in place and will want to put down a marker for their own campaign so we have picked as strong a squad as possible to go up against what will be a very physical and motivated opponent.”

Scotland team to play Georgia at BT Murrayfield
Friday 23 October (kick-off 7:30pm) – live on ITV4

15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 21 caps

14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) – 11 caps
13. Chris Harris (Gloucester) - 18 caps
12. James Lang (Harlequins) – 2 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh) – Uncapped

10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
9. Ali Price VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps

1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 7 caps
2. Fraser Brown CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 50 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 29 caps
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 25 caps
5. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 18 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 32 caps
8. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps

Substitutes:
16. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh) – 37 caps
17. Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors) – Uncapped
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 25 caps
19. Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 21 caps
20. Nick Haining (Edinburgh) – 3 caps
21. Cornell du Preez (Worcester Warriors) – 7 caps
22. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
23. Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 49 caps

Edinburgh players Grant Gilchrist and Damien Hoyland left the Autumn Series squad this week due to injury, with Sale hooker Ewan Ashman being added to the training squad.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm actually quite happy with that team. If a little disappointed that there is no Huw Jones in the squad.
I would have kept the Glasgow front row together to start, with the Edinburgh guys on the bench, but that's being picky. I just like the continuity/familiarity aspect of starting squad rows together.
I think Toolis and Cummings will be a good, feisty combination and it is a very mobile pack overall.
Surprised at Kinghorn in over Jones, and maybe we will see Hastings move to full back when Finn comes on after all?
Anyhoo, I'm really looking forwards to it.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Probably the best team on form that we could put out without Hogg, J Gray or Skinner

Front rows are as good as we can get except for Nel over Berghan (even that has been negotiable at times)

Second row looks underpowered without Gray x 2 or Gilchrist in there and the back row is small. Real chance for M Fagerson to show enough power for the Wales game. Plenty to come on in the back row but Harley is not going to add much size to the second row. Gone for speed over brawn.

Probably right to give Hastings the jersey for now after a good start to the Six Nations and Russell having played 80 the previous week. Expect them to swap for the Wales game

S Johnson can't be fit enough to go for an hour which is worrying without a proven operator like Scott for the Wales game. Hopefully Lang is good enough to make us forget about it

Back three is as expected, though without the additional back sub, H Jones would have offered far more flexibility.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Sorry but BK is nowhere near the same form as HJ at the moment. I'm disappointed he hasn't even made the bench, that is a massive finger from Toonie imo, unless he plans on starting him against Wales. Makes you wonder whether it is just a personality clash. I expect if Lang or Harris have to go off we'll see the Hastings Russell axis, which is a bit meh tbh.

Let's see how it goes Friday. Tbf could still be a decent performance as that squad is mostly what we'd probably pick although I still think it's ridiculous we're leaving out one of our biggest talents who is in hot form right now.
The rest of the squad give me few complaints. Id have Gilchrist for toolis though and perhaps toolis on the bench over Harley.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Here comes Duhan!!!!

He could well need to go looking for the ball though with our midfield. Really hoping Lang can start to bring is early promise into the Scotland side we'll just need to wait and see. Harris is still the hardest working man in sports entertainment but to be fair he does seem to be coming on a bit now.

I dont think we'll see the Russell/Hastings 10/12 combo. I fully expect Russell to come on around the 50 minute mark and Hastings will jsut come off. Blair will play the full game as basically, he's expendable. Hogg will be at 15 the follwoing week.

It's going to be a long old AI series so players are going to need rotation.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:50 pm

I like the team but would have preferred to see Huw Jones at 15, Kinghorn is well short of form just now and looks a bit of a liability.

I didn't expect Finn Russell to be involved at all, but delighted to see him in there - hopefully he gets some decent game time and he pushes for selection against Wales.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:50 pm

I'm really happy with this side. I'm glad Toonie respected Georgia and put out a strong side. He could have put out something more like I had chosen but he's clearly looking to start well whilst introducing some new caps and inexperience.

I agree with others about Kinghorn but respect the idea that Toonie and others see him as someone who will blossom into a great player at some point. I'd like to see him put in some 80 minute games this Autumn though and not just have moments of brilliance in attack.

It feels like Du Preez, Harley, Haining and Fagerson are battling it out for a spot against Wales next weekend.

Lang has been handed a huge opportunity. Play well and he might be starting at 12 again vs Wales. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Toonie plays Russell at 12 against Wales. It looks like that might happen! Not something I'm against at all because it may get the best results out of both Hastings and Russell and Weir can cover the bench as a reliable backup first five eighth.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 pm

Also, Ewan Ashman? Who is he?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:10 pm

Ashman is last years U20 hooker, plays for Sale and has been getting some first team game time

He is considered quite a prospect

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:13 pm

I sm a bit dissapointed for Shuggy as well.

BK lack of gametime gave Toonie a legitimate reason to stand him down for this one and a 6/2 split leaves no room for him on the bench

Hopefully he will get a run out for Glasgow this weekdnd and get his shot in one of the other games

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:17 pm

Gilchrist and Hoyland injured and out of the squad apparently

Pretty predictable unfortunately in Hoyland's case

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:19 am

HJ offers much more versatility than BK (can cover wing and outside centre, inside centre at a stretch), but alas we will see how BK gets on. Hopefully, he does not try to force it and look to use his playmaking (didn't he start out as a 10?).

Ashman is an interesting one as Stewart and Kerr are established, young club players. Turner is struggling to get real game time at international level and you would think Ashman has to be special or there needs to be an injury crisis for us to use him in the next 7 weeks.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 am

Ashman was one of the standouts from his U20 year and had a habit for scoring tries, think he was the top try scorer at the Jnr WC last year. He's a big unit who is really dynamic and powerful.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:03 am

Ashman was born in Toronto, is either 1.85m or 1.87m (6'1 - 6'2) and 110kg or 119kg (17st 4.5lbs or 18st 10.5lbs). Either way, he has the size.

Looked up what you said EST and he was top try scorer with 7 in the 2019 U20 RWC. Has the size and the pedigree.

Maybe we get him in for the Italy game to ensure he remains tied and does not get his head turned by the money England can throw at him.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:30 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Ashman was born in Toronto, is either 1.85m or 1.87m (6'1 - 6'2) and 110kg or 119kg (17st 4.5lbs or 18st 10.5lbs). Either way, he has the size.

Looked up what you said EST and he was top try scorer with 7 in the 2019 U20 RWC. Has the size and the pedigree.

Maybe we get him in for the Italy game to ensure he remains tied and does not get his head turned by the money England can throw at him.

Yeah, I'm not usually one for capping young players just to tie them into our system, but he was such a standout at Jnr level that it's safe to say he has a very good shot of an international future. Giving him a cap wouldn't just be tokenism.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next