The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo To Fight Callum Smith on Dec 5th

4 posters

Go down

Canelo To Fight Callum Smith on Dec 5th Empty Canelo To Fight Callum Smith on Dec 5th

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 18 Nov 2020, 3:26 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/54981343

I am fully expecting Smith to do well here, utilising his height and reach advantages and pretty much winning every round. When the fight goes to the scorecards, Canelo will win by 116-112, 113-115 and 119-110, because it's Canelo.

I don't dislike what Canelo does - winning all those different titles and facing loads of champions is pretty amazing, but the drug "ban" (money talks, remember) and forcing others to fight at "Caneloweight" during his "middleweight" reign, plus the times he's likely had a judge in his pocket leaves a bit of a nasty taste. Great, great fighter, but will always have an asterisk for me.

I hope that Smith is really up for this and brings his A game to Vegas, and doesn't freeze and fold like Fielding did. He certainly has the potential to make it awkward for Alvarez. Have to say I am glad it isn't Saunders getting the pay cheque this time round.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Canelo To Fight Callum Smith on Dec 5th Empty Re: Canelo To Fight Callum Smith on Dec 5th

Post by Guest Wed 18 Nov 2020, 6:04 pm

Álvarez will KO Smith inside 6 rounds. Smith got beaten by a journeyman like Ryder. This is essentially Smith’s retirement fund.

Back to top Go down

Canelo To Fight Callum Smith on Dec 5th Empty Re: Canelo To Fight Callum Smith on Dec 5th

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 18 Nov 2020, 7:35 pm

Smith starts as favourite for me, has the size and jab to trouble anyone.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 18 Nov 2020, 9:00 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Álvarez will KO Smith inside 6 rounds. Smith got beaten by a journeyman like Ryder. This is essentially Smith’s retirement fund.

I reckon Smith was a bit like Lennox Lewis in that fight - the opponent wasn't top drawer so he was complacent. I would expect a much better performance as he'll be facing one of the best in the business. He has the tools and the talent to make life awkward for Alvarez, and almost an 8" reach advantage. I just hope he doesn't get d!cked by the judges if it goes the distance. I don't ever recall Smith ever being on the floor, si it would take a hell of a shot by Canelo - Smith's a live opponent and rated number 1 at the weight so I doubt it'll be the walkover you reckon.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Nov 2020, 9:10 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:Álvarez will KO Smith inside 6 rounds. Smith got beaten by a journeyman like Ryder. This is essentially Smith’s retirement fund.

I reckon Smith was a bit like Lennox Lewis in that fight - the opponent wasn't top drawer so he was complacent. I would expect a much better performance as he'll be facing one of the best in the business. He has the tools and the talent to make life awkward for Alvarez, and almost an 8" reach advantage. I just hope he doesn't get d!cked by the judges if it goes the distance. I don't ever recall Smith ever being on the floor, si it would take a hell of a shot by Canelo - Smith's a live opponent and rated number 1 at the weight so I doubt it'll be the walkover you reckon.
When I say KO I mean by body shots, Álvarez isn’t exactly a big head hunter.
Smith’s one noteworthy win is against Groves who was shot to pieces after his shoulder dislocation.
Don’t see Smith having any real chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 18 Nov 2020, 9:24 pm

Here comes the hyperbole.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Nov 2020, 9:31 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Here comes the hyperbole.
Hyperbole or straight up facts?
You think Álvarez is going to be scared just because Smith is very big?
I highly doubt it considering he fought at 175 not too long ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 18 Nov 2020, 9:31 pm

If Smith uses his head, he'll keep him at range. He's no mug, and Canelo is not superman, he's a talented guy for sure, but the Smith camp have been looking to land this fight for a while now - they obviously have a plan. Smith is unnaturally huge for a Super-Middle. If Smith can force Alvarez to fight how he wants, he's got a good chance.

This has a points win written all over it for me. (Two of the judges probably already have it for Alvarez along with a new Mercedes).

Although he fought at LHW, there was only about 1 1/2 - 2" difference in reach between Alvarez and Kovalev. Another 6" on top is a different kettle of fish. Not many boxers are scared of their opponents - I just think Canelo will have to be very savvy to beat a guy with this much size advantage.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 18 Nov 2020, 9:53 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:

To quote you he fought a completely shot Kovalev at short notice.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Nov 2020, 10:12 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:

To quote you he fought a completely shot Kovalev at short notice.
You might be correct but Kovalev wanted that $12m retirement fund - alternatively put I would’ve sold my belt for that figure as well Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 19 Nov 2020, 12:13 pm

Has Canelo ever underperformed? In his first fight against GGG it is said by some that GGG should have won, but even here did Canelo actually underperform? Canelo seems to have a high level of consistency.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 19 Nov 2020, 12:34 pm

He didn't perform at all against Mayweather, yes he was in against a genuinely great opponent but his performance was non existent.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Nov 2020, 5:29 pm

50/50 fight....Got a lot of time for Smith and he is is huge at the weight. Also has a huge reach advantage...Decent power.

I can see an upset.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down