The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So... Does Callum Smith Have The Ability To Beat Canelo?

+7
wheelchair1991
MonkeyMan
Soul Requiem
No name Bertie
DuransHorse
Derbymanc
Mr Bounce
11 posters

Go down

So... Does Callum Smith Have The Ability To Beat Canelo? Empty So... Does Callum Smith Have The Ability To Beat Canelo?

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 16 Dec 2020, 9:28 am

Canelo is boxing's current superstar, of that there is no doubt. He wants to cement a legacy by claiming every belt within his grasp. Smith is an unusually tall and lanky Supermiddle who many claim is "Too Big For The Weight". That said, he's also pretty talented. That size makes him unusually difficult to fight - he's got a huge reach advantage over his more normally sized opponents. The question is can he keep Canelo from fighting Canelo's fight?

Make no mistake this shouldn't be an easy blow-out for Alvarez - but has Smith flattered to deceive us in the past? He had a shocker against Ryder last time out - a fighter that, no offence to Ryder - he should be beating in his sleep. Every fighter has a bad fight in them, and that's likely to be his. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for that one in that he couldn't get motivated for Ryder. It's probably done him a favour. He will be motivated for this fight like no other. Alvarez's people might concentrate on the bad aspects of that fight, mistakes that Smith has already looked to correct. It's going to be awkward, that's for sure. I can't though get over the difference in reach. If Smith uses it to his advantage, almost 8 inches of extra reach is going to be difficult to overcome, even for a great like Alvarez.

Money plays a huge part in this fight, and unfortunately with a number of Alvarez's previous fights there's been a judge who's been more favourable to Alvarez to the extent that it's completely at odds with the other two judges (see Mayweather and Golovkin 1 for example). The fighter most likely to make money in the future was given extra help, if I am being a cynic. I sincerely hope that it's not going to be the case for this bout.

I can't make up my mind on this fight so here's 3 examples of how I see it going:

1) Smith boxes beautifully at range, busts up Canelo's eye and cruises to a unanimous decision.
2) Smith boxes beautifully at range, Canelo barely lays a glove on Smith, has a few moments and the judges give him a controversial UD. Smith and most of the boxing world are outraged.
3) Smith is drawn into a fight and Canelo scores well on the inside and continually catches Smith with bodyshots and on the break. It's a marvellous Canelo performance and he deserves his decision.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

So... Does Callum Smith Have The Ability To Beat Canelo? Empty Re: So... Does Callum Smith Have The Ability To Beat Canelo?

Post by Derbymanc Wed 16 Dec 2020, 10:50 am

I wonder if anyone ever took her aside and asked what the hell she was thinking? Every bitch and moan about that fight comes from the scorecard which ruined what was a great night of boxing. as for the Mayweather one????? no justification at all.

It could go anyway to be honest and will depend on if Smith brings a performance that I think he has. I can let him off with the Ryder fight as he was fighting to his opponents level (although Ryder is a good fighter)

I can see A Canelo win but it'll be closer than we think and we'll have the obligatory 155 - 25 scorecard for the ginger Mexican :-)

Derbymanc

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

So... Does Callum Smith Have The Ability To Beat Canelo? Empty Re: So... Does Callum Smith Have The Ability To Beat Canelo?

Post by DuransHorse Wed 16 Dec 2020, 3:32 pm

The IFL upload a couple of hours ago showed how huge the size difference is.

I think this has Canelo pts written all over it but I stopped betting on the other man to win long ago as Canelos chin is solid and his judges loyal. Could Canelo stop him though? Maybe to the body?

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 16 Dec 2020, 11:54 pm

Looking at Canelo's resume he has fought some fighters with height and reach advantages but none quite as big as Callum Smith:

Rocky Fielding.....: Height advantage + 4" Reach Advantage + 4.5"  3rd round TKO  (Dec 2018)
Erislandy Lara......: Height advantage + 0" Reach Advantage + 5.0"  split decision  (Jul 2014)
Callum Smith.......: Height advantage + 6" Reach Advantage + 7.5"  ...

Canelo will try to stop Callum Smith with body shots.  At times Smith will fold his arms up which will enable Canelo to get close to him and then he will try to open him up.  I think Canelo will stop Smith. I think Canelo is far too experienced and ring smart for Smith to cope with.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 17 Dec 2020, 8:55 am

Getting to the body whilst avoiding hooks to the head will be easier said than done for Alvarez, the height and disadvantages he gave up in previous fights aren't all that relevant when you consider styles; Fielding for instance has no chin and is not very good whilst Lara lacks power. Smith uses his height well with straight punches and is a very effective body puncher which should in theory negate the shorter man using the inside to his advantage. Can't say I see Alvarez stopping Smith.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyMan Thu 17 Dec 2020, 6:48 pm

Smith will lose. Is that a fact? Yes...and it could be a very painful one for the Liverpool man

MonkeyMan

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 20 Dec 2020, 6:34 am

Very disappointed in smith tonight, showed heart to survive but hardly threw a punch

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 20 Dec 2020, 7:33 am

The last minute and a bit of the 12th round Callum Smith went running, grabbed Canelo when he was getting too close, and started twisting his head to look at the clock.

Callum Smith didn't do enough throughout the fight to properly trouble Canelo. He did injure his bicep early on but don't know how much that impaired him. I did think Canelo would stop him but he took the body punches well in addition to the head shots - he must have rode them. In the end he looked very tired. He is expected to move up to light heavyweight next.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 20 Dec 2020, 10:36 am

wheelchair1991 wrote:Very disappointed in smith tonight, showed heart to survive but hardly threw a punch

The more I watch Alvarez the more I'm confused by the Mayweather fight. Not only was he out boxed but he was physically dominated but fast forward to now and he's physically dominating massive super middleweights.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 20 Dec 2020, 10:44 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:Very disappointed in smith tonight, showed heart to survive but hardly threw a punch

The more I watch Alvarez the more I'm confused by the Mayweather fight. Not only was he out boxed but he was physically dominated but fast forward to now and he's physically dominating massive super middleweights.

I’m more suspicious than confused about it

wheelchair1991

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 20 Dec 2020, 11:00 am

I agree, was trying to be as diplomatic as possible.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 20 Dec 2020, 11:42 am

So, it was Option 3. Kudos to Canelo for his performance, but it's hardly a surprise if his opponent barely fights back. I get the impression that Smith froze with the enormity of his situation - once you do that against someone with as much talent as Alvarez, it's a lost cause.

Disappointed with Smith, but well played Alvarez. Saunders next?

Mr Bounce

wheelchair1991 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 20 Dec 2020, 12:59 pm

Callum Smith proves what everyone already knew - he’s was an absolute BUM. His pathetic CV’s only credible win was Groves post dislocated shoulder.
This Merseyside trash collector was only looking for a payday. Pathetic coward.
4 Merseyside bum brothers all pathetic.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 20 Dec 2020, 2:02 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Callum Smith proves what everyone already knew - he’s was an absolute BUM. His pathetic CV’s only credible win was Groves post dislocated shoulder.

He may not be top level but he certainly isn’t a bum ridiculous statement

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Sun 20 Dec 2020, 2:37 pm

Alvarez is "dirty", let's not mince words, there's no doubt about it..
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Mr Bounce, wheelchair1991 and Soul Requiem like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 20 Dec 2020, 4:40 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Callum Smith proves what everyone already knew - he’s was an absolute BUM. His pathetic CV’s only credible win was Groves post dislocated shoulder.

Oh yay the forum clown is back.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 21 Dec 2020, 9:15 am

Why is Alvarez dirty? by all accounts he was in control all fight and Smith was very disappointing. Bit disrespectful to call him a bum though, stepped up against one of the best at this time and will hopefully be back for more at some point, although I think he's moving up.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 21 Dec 2020, 9:21 am

Derbymanc wrote:Why is Alvarez dirty? by all accounts he was in control all fight and Smith was very disappointing. Bit disrespectful to call him a bum though, stepped up against one of the best at this time and will hopefully be back for more at some point, although I think he's moving up.

The failed drug tests combined with physical improvements that seem beyond the norm. I mentioned the Mayweather fight as it's such a stark contrast to the fighter we have now, he was physically bullied and backed up in that fight by a Welterweight not known for his punching power. Fast forward to now and he's walking through Golovkin and Smith as if they're powder puff punchers.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 21 Dec 2020, 10:12 am

I thought they meant in the fight with Smith, yeah your not wrong with all that but then a lot of boxers seem to do that as well, we really ashould have stricter rules in boxing for all that, Although he's also grown like Manny and such :-) into the weight.
No argument from me though think a LOT of todays top boxers have help

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 21 Dec 2020, 10:15 am

The frustrating thing is that he's a wonderful boxer to watch and his performance on saturday was sublime but you then have to factor in everything else and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It's why I cannot buy into Tyson Fury, he failed a drug test and it's treated as if it's unimportant, he's a cheat.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 21 Dec 2020, 10:26 am

I was like that for a long time as well Souly, my dislike for Manny (wonderful boxer though he is), is from giving Margherito a pay day after his cheating. Everyone that fails a drug test should have a longer ban AND have more tests than others when they come back and if they're caught again, banned for life. Boxing just seems to run a meh!!!! attitude towards it. And I try not to think about it too much anymore or i'd never watch anyone

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Jul 2021, 8:04 pm

Hard to believe a much bigger, taller guy with a decent straight jab would let Canelo maul him like that....Certainly had the power to get Canelo's respect but got it all wrong...

Not being funny but the guy had the tools just like Quigg had the tools to push Frampton harder and they shared the same trainer.....Not sure Gallagher is what you want when fighting the best.

Sadly I think Smith did have the ability to beat Canelo but he needed to hurt Canelo early and try to take the center of the ring.....Either the occasion overwhelmed him or the tactics were crap..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 17 Jul 2021, 8:13 pm

Sometimes fighters freeze with enormity of their situation. Spinks did, Golota did against Lewis. I think I was more surprised that although Smith froze, Canelo didn't finish him early.

It certainly wasn't the display I expected from Smith that's for sure. As the late Gerry Rafferty once sang "Take the money and run, buy yourself a place in the sun". Smith probably has, but a pathetic effort to "earn" his money.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Mar 2022, 4:11 pm

Hard to believe this kid was number 1 in his division...Hearn has a reputation as a top promoter but Smith is 32 soon....Probably one of the top 5 best schooled fighters the UK has seen and yet he is a complete non entity..

When he was number 1 he wasn't known out of British Boxing and was a no name abroad.

Duff did a great job with the limited Bruno Mugabi types and Honey...AJ was a big punching gold medallist that's easy..

Not sure Hearn has the ability to bring under developed fighters to World stars...Froch and Groves were already names.. Khan wasn't a Hearn fighter. Neither were Hatton or Hamed who transcended...Haye also.

Smith should have been bigger but Hearn is only good with the British Market..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 20 Mar 2022, 12:22 pm

I know you've always been quite big on Smith, Truss, but I've never been quite as sold. All that height and reach but doesn't really make best use of it, and he's never really seemed sure what style of fighter he wants to be in my opinion. He made much harder work of Skoglund than I was expecting and his performance against Canelo was absolutely rancid...Although as you know I take certain Canelo fights with a pinch of salt.

We'll see how he looks against some proper opponents at 175. Personally I've never liked Smith as a back foot boxer or counter puncher, and always felt he looked better taking the lead and getting aggressively on the front foot. Have stated before I'd be intrigued to see how Beterbiev would look if he ever came across someone who could put him on the back foot. Smith would have been a viable route for the WBO but Artur has got there first on that one so the road to a belt at 175 for Smith isn't obvious at the moment, albeit Canelo will likely vacate the WBA if / when he beats Bivol.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down