The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those Special Trips

+5
Shotrock
McLaren
beninho
BlueCoverman
JAS
9 posters

Go down

Those Special Trips Empty Those Special Trips

Post by JAS Wed 02 Dec 2020, 1:23 pm

Rather than ending up discussing further on the PGATour thread I thought I'd cut across to a new thread to discuss this one.

I usually like to organise some sort of golf trip for my birthday, usually its just a day on a top 100 course (I've done Sunningdale, The Berkshire & St Georges Hill on that basis but the urge is moving toward a long weekend taking in several courses, definitely do that for the bigger landmark birthdays. For my 50th 12 of us did an East Lothian trip taking in Muirfield North Berwick and Gullane 1. My 60th is now just over 2 years away and I'm homing in on a Northern Ireland trip to take in Royal County Down & Royal Portrush and a 3rd, maybe Ardglass. With my birthday being late March, the weather can be a bit of a gamble but the upside is that many top courses are still on their winter green fees.

There are so many options out there for top trips over a long weekend now, what if any, have others done? be it for a birthday, a stag weekend or even a divorce party. Or...what would your dream trip be?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Those Special Trips Empty Re: Those Special Trips

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 02 Dec 2020, 2:28 pm

Golf Trips, its my favourite topic of conversation! I wouldn't like to add up the number of golf trips I've been on over the years, or how much money I've spent! Laugh  

I've been fortunate enough to play golf either on boys trips, or with my wife on golf holidays in all of the following places: Mauritius, Thailand, Mexico, Florida, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominican Republic, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Majorca, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Gomera, Portugal, Cyprus, Turkey, Bulgaria, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and of course many of the great courses in our own fair country. And I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them!

I was 60 this year JAS and my dream trip planned was golfing in Carolina, cancelled of course along with everybody else who had made plans for this year. Sounds like good news on the vaccine, let's hope it won't be too long before we can all start to travel in safety again Fingers Crossed

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 02 Dec 2020, 5:35 pm

My regular trip has been Troon, staying in the Marine Hotel. Its normally an early Saturday flight, bite to eat and a round Saturday somewhere, last two times it was Dundonald and Turnberry. Then Troon on Saturday, breakfast in the clubhouse then lunch and flight home. Its always a cracking time and better when the golf isn't costing anything! Hopefully 2021 it will be back on the agenda.

Other then that the belfry and forest if arden are always a good time. Did Bournemouth as a stag do years ago, but golf was secondary.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 02 Dec 2020, 6:35 pm

Going on a mate's 60th in May, all being well! Fly Luton to Glasgow early Sunday morning, playing Robert the Bruce course in the afternoon, overnight at Trump Turnberry and then play the Ailsa on the Monday. Moving on to Prestwick for two nights, playing the Old Course, Royal Troon on the Tuesday, Prestwick on the Wednesday morning and then fly home late afternoon. Bit hectic but should be a great trip, not played any of those courses before.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Dec 2020, 9:07 pm

I don't tend to go on golf specific trips but if there is an interesting course in the area I will make an effort to play it. Living so close to east lothian and fife I play quite a lot of visitor rounds on courses in these areas.

This will sound a little snobby but a lot of the golf trips organized by people at the club or other people I know are played on courses of little architectural interest.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 03 Dec 2020, 1:12 am

Great subject and topic.

As I mentioned on the previous thread, I thought that Kohler and Bandon were just too expensive/inconvenient for me. If golf were the single priority, I would probably consider Streamsong or the Spyglass/Pebble Beach area courses. (Yes, I realize Pebble is a ridiculous expense, but it's sure special).

If I wanted golf AND additional entertainment, I would actually consider Las Vegas. I do not gamble, but the shows, dining options, night clubs or bars are great, plus very nice hotels that are often really discounted. And there are numerous golf options -- all desert courses and some higher end than others.

Pinehurst is another resort town with some less expensive golfing options and it's a bit nicer (IMO) than Myrtle Beach which has loads of courses.

And I really agree with Mac ... that with a little effort you can find some really interesting layouts with some pretty easy access. On one of my trips to London I played some Heathland greats, but also played some lesser known (by me at least)courses that I loved: Swinley Forest, New Zealand, Woking and took a trip to the coast to play Rye.

If Kwin were still posting he would be glad to see I would heartily recommend in very inexpensive (and sleepy to be sure) Central New York courses such as Teugega, Yahnundasis and Leatherstocking. Not big, bold designs ... but some interesting layouts to be sure.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 03 Dec 2020, 11:31 am

Shotrock wrote:Great subject and topic.

As I mentioned on the previous thread, I thought that Kohler and Bandon were just too expensive/inconvenient for me. If golf were the single priority, I would probably consider Streamsong or the Spyglass/Pebble Beach area courses. (Yes, I realize Pebble is a ridiculous expense, but it's sure special).

If I wanted golf AND additional entertainment, I would actually consider Las Vegas. I do not gamble, but the shows, dining options, night clubs or bars are great, plus very nice hotels that are often really discounted. And there are numerous golf options -- all desert courses and some higher end than others.

Pinehurst is another resort town with some less expensive golfing options and it's a bit nicer (IMO) than Myrtle Beach which has loads of courses.

And I really agree with Mac ... that with a little effort you can find some really interesting layouts with some pretty easy access. On one of my trips to London I played some Heathland greats, but also played some lesser known (by me at least)courses that I loved: Swinley Forest, New Zealand, Woking and took a trip to the coast to play Rye.

If Kwin were still posting he would be glad to see I would heartily recommend in very inexpensive (and sleepy to be sure) Central New York courses such as Teugega, Yahnundasis and Leatherstocking. Not big, bold designs ... but some interesting layouts to be sure.

Useful to know those New York layouts as I will plan a New York trip at some point, Bethpage Black being the priority.
Speaking of finding interesting layouts, at the end of my Monterey Peninsula trip every year phase, instead of flying into SFO and driving south I started to plan a trip to LAX and play 2-3 courses there (Riviera, Valley Club at Montecito) and then drive up Highway 1 to Pebble. As it turned out, that wasn’t a great year for me financially and so I had to make compromises. Those 2 LA courses were too snooty to reply (and would probably been too expensive anyway). I ended up hearing about a place called Rustic Canyon, easy access, cheap as chips yet designed by Gil Hanse (of the Rio Olympic Course and Castle Stuart etc).
Thoroughly enjoyable, completely unpretentious. It’s a good 45 to 50 minute drive up to and through the Simi Valley from where I was staying near Venice Beach but well worth it, thought it was a real find.

JAS

BlueCoverman and TM2K like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 03 Dec 2020, 2:10 pm

JAS - Good for you having the passion and energy to get off the beaten path as they say. I've heard good things about Rustic Canyon. (And Gil lives in the same town I do now and also worked on our club when I was on the Greens committee ... so I've spent some time with him. Wonderful guy.)

Here's another US gem worth playing: Yale.

As you know, unfortunately in the US many of the best conditioned and interesting courses are private and not easy to access. (We could learn a lot from the more open-minded UK courses.) Let me know if you are ever in the Philly area.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Fri 04 Dec 2020, 4:34 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Golf Trips, its my favourite topic of conversation! I wouldn't like to add up the number of golf trips I've been on over the years, or how much money I've spent! Laugh  

I've been fortunate enough to play golf either on boys trips, or with my wife on golf holidays in all of the following places: Mauritius, Thailand, Mexico, Florida, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominican Republic, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Majorca, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Gomera, Portugal, Cyprus, Turkey, Bulgaria, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and of course many of the great courses in our own fair country. And I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them!

I was 60 this year JAS and my dream trip planned was golfing in Carolina, cancelled of course along with everybody else who had made plans for this year. Sounds like good news on the vaccine, let's hope it won't be too long before we can all start to travel in safety again Fingers Crossed

I’m with you Blue, love a chat on the subject and planning golf trips, especially the more extravagant ones!!

TM2K

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 04 Dec 2020, 4:51 pm

Ok, what would be everyone's ideal golf trip?

For me there are a few areas, some with impossible options and others just very expensive.

Bandon. Despite the issues discussed above. I just like the idea of going somewhere where you can totally geek out on golf. Every minute of the trip spent playing or talking about great architecture and the game in general.

Long Island/new york. Play Shinnicock, NGLA and a host of slightly less famous golden age designs. And as a bonus you could hit up the culinary scene in New York city.

Melbourne. Just play Royal Melbourne (both courses) solid for two weeks. And if time get in some Kingston Heath. And Melbourne is one of the coolest cities in the world.

Japan. Hirono plus whatever else you can get on. This trip would probably be the least golf focused.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Fri 04 Dec 2020, 5:27 pm

JAS wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Great subject and topic.

Useful to know those New York layouts as I will plan a New York trip at some point, Bethpage Black being the priority.
Speaking of finding interesting layouts, at the end of my Monterey Peninsula trip every year phase, instead of flying into SFO and driving south I started to plan a trip to LAX and play 2-3 courses there (Riviera, Valley Club at Montecito) and then drive up Highway 1 to Pebble. As it turned out, that wasn’t a great year for me financially and so I had to make compromises. Those 2 LA courses were too snooty to reply (and would probably been too expensive anyway). I ended up hearing about a place called Rustic Canyon, easy access, cheap as chips yet designed by Gil Hanse (of the Rio Olympic Course and Castle Stuart etc).
Thoroughly enjoyable, completely unpretentious. It’s a good 45 to 50 minute drive up to and through the Simi Valley from where I was staying near Venice Beach but well worth it, thought it was a real find.

Jas, like you I think it was Rustic Canyon (could never remember the name until you just mentioned it ) I stumbled across once at the back end of another trip...around 2003 ish from memory which wasn’t long after it opened. I was backpacking and a friend flew over from New York for a weekend before I left the states...we were given the lowdown in the shop when paying green fees like avoid the long grass because of snakes and carts etc...not being fans we asked if we were allowed to walk and got the reply, “nobody ever has but there’s no rule saying you can’t...it’s included in the price so see how you go and take it after 9 if you want as you’re back at the house and the back nine the tougher walk”

Seeing this as a challenge we batted straight through to the tenth without as much as a glance at the long line of shiny new buggies...big mistake!! The walks from green to tee got longer and longer peaking around 14 when two fourballs passed us en route to the next tee, both groups politely enquiring if we were okay, needed anything to drink and if we minded them going through!!!

When finally getting back to the clubhouse sweating, red faced and out of breath in true “brits abroad” fashion the staff were just about containing their laughter when we asked where the showers were...”sorry sir, we’re not long open and we’ve not got any yet!!”

Couldn’t help but burst into hysterics at this as much as it hurt...mainly because I was staying down the road in Santa Barbara but my friend had to catch a quick flight up to SF before 4 hours back to NYC drenched right through!!

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 04 Dec 2020, 5:42 pm

If we are suspending the reality of both expense and access, here's where I would gravitate to in these United States:

Greater NYC area - Winged Foot and Quaker Ridge
Long Island - Shinnecock/NGLA/Sebonack
Philly Area - Merion/Pine Valley/Aronimink (so I'm a homer)
Southern Florida - Seminole/Indian Creek (impossible to not have fun at IC from my experience)
Monterey Peninsula - Pebble Beach/Cypress Point

But Mac -- I really do see the appeal of staying a few days in a golf compound. So, I would put Bandon ahead of Streamsong or Kohler.

And, for something completely different, I've talked to a number of people who have played here and rave about the entire experience. And, it's a 9 hole course! I plan to play there this coming year.

https://sweetenscovegolfclub.com/pages/about

Shotrock

TM2K likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 04 Dec 2020, 10:16 pm

Shotrock

Yeh my list does unfortunately involve the suspension of reality.

I once went on holiday to New England and decided to write to some of the clubs along the stretch from just North of NY through to Boston that I thought were architecturally interesting. I think they were all private and I had no contacts. I naively thought that at least a couple would be pleased to hear a keen golfer from Scotland had taken an interest in their club and offer me a round. Not at all, they were all hard no's. Well, the ones that responded anyway.

From what I can tell you need to get a membership at a top club here and then reciprocal opportunities open up in the private clubs around the world. I know one guy for example that has played Pine Valley and ANGC via contacts at his club in the UK.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Sun 06 Dec 2020, 12:07 am

McLaren wrote:Shotrock

Yeh my list does unfortunately involve the suspension of reality.

I once went on holiday to New England and decided to write to some of the clubs along the stretch from just North of NY through to Boston that I thought were architecturally interesting. I think they were all private and I had no contacts. I naively thought that at least a couple would be pleased to hear a keen golfer from Scotland had taken an interest in their club and offer me a round. Not at all, they were all hard no's. Well, the ones that responded anyway.

From what I can tell you need to get a membership at a top club here and then reciprocal opportunities open up in the private clubs around the world. I know one guy for example that has played Pine Valley and ANGC via contacts at his club in the UK.

There’s very few, if any whatsoever, clubs that have reciprocity with the likes of PV, AGGC or Cypress Point and especially so in the UK. From what I know those three clubs have some sort of arrangement but I’m not completely certain. My guess is that if you belong to any of those places you can pretty much get on anywhere you want as all it’d take is an email from your club CEO/manager asking if you could be accommodated...in all honesty, if it was the locker room or parking attendant from those three places who emailed on your behalf I doubt it’d lessen your chances!!

From my experience of how it works in the US, you’ve actually got a better chance if you have someone senior from your home club contact them on your behalf asking if there’s any possibility of doing anything. If you’ve got a decent sort who’s running your place that would be happy to do it you’d be surprised what you might get.
Only downside is what it could end up costing...only last year I was in New York playing a bit and as we had a spare day asked my guy I if he could help....got a rapid response from Atlantic club on Long Island saying they’d happily have us but not the day we wanted...thankfully it did as when you tallied it all up we’d have had no change out of $1200 for a two ball!!

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Sun 06 Dec 2020, 12:25 am

Also, if you were lucky enough to be a member of somewhere prestigious like super_realist is, your chances would be greatly enhanced as that would carry significant weight

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 06 Dec 2020, 12:13 pm

Super's not a big fan of carrying significant weight... Laugh

BlueCoverman

LadyPutt, JAS and TM2K like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 07 Dec 2020, 12:54 pm

TM2k, funny. Don't worry I am no noob. I included references from our pro and captain.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Dec 2020, 11:39 am

Shotrock wrote:JAS - Good for you having the passion and energy to get off the beaten path as they say. I've heard good things about Rustic Canyon. (And Gil lives in the same town I do now and also worked on our club when I was on the Greens committee ... so I've spent some time with him. Wonderful guy.)

Here's another US gem worth playing: Yale.

As you know, unfortunately in the US many of the best conditioned and interesting courses are private and not easy to access. (We could learn a lot from the more open-minded UK courses.) Let me know if you are ever in the Philly area.

Thanks Shotrock, and yes I'm only too aware of the better U.S. courses being private. I noticed a trend in Hawaii particularly of new courses but some existing ones as well going "members and their guests only" and it's getting worse there. I'll certainly take you up on your kind offer if I'm in the Philly area.

I have got an ex-work colleague in Melbourne (when I worked with him in Edinburgh it was him that got me on to the Old Course as he was a member of the New Club at the time). He's now back at Kingston Heath around this time last year he got to play ANGC and it completed his top 100. I have no doubt having been at St Andrews and KH it will have enabled him to develop the contacts to achieve that feat.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 09 Dec 2020, 12:33 pm

Top 100 is an impressive feat --- one needs a significant amount of time, $ and contacts to accomplish that. I'm thinking Cypress is as difficult to access as Augusta. (One member of my club is actually at both those places.)

At some point I need to make the trip to N. Ireland -- I hear great things about Portrush and County Down.

Last edited by Shotrock on Wed 09 Dec 2020, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 09 Dec 2020, 6:26 pm

Impressive list guys.I think my best trip was K club just after Ryder cup and well cared for by the staff and locals 12 lads 9 new to me .nearly bought a greyhound ,great hotel,played some good golf, night on the town,never a bad day on the golf course.
Retiring in 2 weeks and covid permitting Im off to california next august partly for the car shows at carmel and pebble beach but also also some golf.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 10 Dec 2020, 8:39 am

dynamark wrote:Impressive list guys.I think my best trip was K club just after Ryder cup and well cared for by the staff and locals 12 lads 9 new to me .nearly bought a greyhound ,great hotel,played some good golf, night on the town,never a bad day on the golf course.
Retiring in 2 weeks and covid permitting Im off to california next august partly for the car shows at carmel and pebble beach but also also some golf.

Only ever had the one trip to Ireland so far and it was a small stag weekend 5ish years ago, We did Enniscrone, County Sligo & then over the border to Lough Earn. Enniscrone was an absolute stand out. The back 9 especially, up in the high dunes is just awesome. Carne is apparently similar (same designer) but even more rugged (but also even more remote).

Ticking off Ryder Cup courses is another worthy pursuit for many Dyna. Have you done any others?

For me the one I'd drop everything and just go if the opportunity arose is Cypress Point. I've glimpsed it from 17 mile drive and also from the 3rd tee at Spyglass, if you look left you get a good look at it. It's like looking at a beautiful woman you can't have.
Each time I went to Pebble Beach I made an effort to speak to so many people in the Tap Room with my best Ayrshire accent in the vain hope that a CP member had popped in for a quick beer. No luck...so far!!

Pine Valley and ANGC would drop into the same category, if an unexpected invite came I'd just drop everything and go. As far as my top100 quest goes I've stalled somewhat in the past 3-4 years I'm still just under half the UK and 25% of the World Top 100. From what I'm told, when you're getting close some of the more "private" tend to be a bit more accommodating. I don't think I'm ever going to get there with the world top 100 but the UK one is still a possibility. Thats the beauty of those well planned long weekend trips, they can knock off 2-3 at a time.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 Dec 2020, 9:49 am

JAS wrote:

Only ever had the one trip to Ireland so far and it was a small stag weekend 5ish years ago

Did you just go to Irish bars?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 10 Dec 2020, 11:23 am

McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:

Only ever had the one trip to Ireland so far and it was a small stag weekend 5ish years ago

Did you just go to Irish bars?

What else is there in Sligo? Did I miss something?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 Dec 2020, 11:36 am

Just a joke based on some chat the other day about Brits drinking in Irish pubs when abroad.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 10 Dec 2020, 2:42 pm

So reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one 'crass and tacky' enough to go in an Irish bar when on a golf holiday JAS! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 10 Dec 2020, 2:51 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:So reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one 'crass and tacky' enough to go in an Irish bar when on a golf holiday JAS! Laugh

How would you describe them? Rustic and authentic? 🤣

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 10 Dec 2020, 7:16 pm

JAS- Belfry many times .We were very last game on the course before the Ryder cup in god knows when(it was the year Stadler missed a putt on 9 from about 2 feet)My pal knew the head greenkeeper who got us the slot 3 birdies and a par in our group on 18.I went to watch first 3 days very close to the action.(Nicklaus Kite Sutton Torrance all the big boys)Many years later my wife said we are taking the kids to a farm park in Tamworth on a saturday afternoon.Said farm park was bang next to the Belfry and I could see the stands and hear the crowd !!

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 10 Dec 2020, 7:39 pm

super_realist wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:So reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one 'crass and tacky' enough to go in an Irish bar when on a golf holiday JAS! Laugh

How would you describe them? Rustic and authentic? 🤣

Hmm...Probably not the first words that come to mind either! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 Dec 2020, 10:51 pm

JAS wrote:
Ticking off Ryder Cup courses is another worthy pursuit for many Dyna. Have you done any others?

Just make sure you aim for the old schools venues like Muirfield, Ganton or Birkdale rather than the dire new venues like Celtic Manor, Gleneagles new or The Barfry.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Dec 2020, 6:14 am

I haven't played the Belfry Mac, but I enjoyed Gleneagles and Celtic Manor. You ought to take your Doak hat off occasionally. You might enjoy your golf more.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 11 Dec 2020, 8:59 am

McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:

Just make sure you aim for the old schools venues like Muirfield, Ganton or Birkdale rather than the dire new venues like Celtic Manor, Gleneagles new or The Barfry.

When I checked I was surprised at how many I'd done and I haven't done the Belfry nor the 3rd best course at Gleneagles. I was due to play Walton Heath for my birthday this year before Covid lockdown reared its ugly head

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Dec 2020, 9:26 am

That is a bummer Jas. The sandbelt courses in and around London are a gaping hole in my golfing CV. Would have been very cool to play Walton Heath.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Dec 2020, 9:29 am

Super

The 3rd course at Gleneagles is pretty vapid. It has so little character in comparisson to the real courses in the property.

And I doubt Doak has even bothered to play it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 11 Dec 2020, 11:48 am

McLaren wrote:Super

The 3rd course at Gleneagles is pretty vapid. It has so little character in comparisson to the real courses in the property.

And I doubt Doak has even bothered to play it.

Indeed, I've played the Kings a couple of times, loved it, superb half way house as well, up there with Sunningdale as the best half way house Ive experienced. Similar as well insofar as they both serve both courses (Kings & Queens & Old & new)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Dec 2020, 1:39 pm

McLaren wrote:That is a bummer Jas. The sandbelt courses in and around London are a gaping hole in my golfing CV. Would have been very cool to play Walton Heath.

Agree. Heathland is my favourite type of course by a mile. Woburn, Sunningdale, Woodhall Spa, Walton Heath, Lindrick etc
Would be picked well ahead of the likes of Sandwich, Hoylake or Birkdale for me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Dec 2020, 1:57 pm

I believe the 81 RC was played on a composite course at Walton Heath. So, you'll have to play the Old and New ... sign me up. Perhaps the best warm up putting green in all of golfdom.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 11 Dec 2020, 4:56 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:That is a bummer Jas. The sandbelt courses in and around London are a gaping hole in my golfing CV. Would have been very cool to play Walton Heath.

Agree. Heathland is my favourite type of course by a mile. Woburn, Sunningdale, Woodhall Spa, Walton Heath, Lindrick etc
Would be picked well ahead of the likes of Sandwich, Hoylake or Birkdale for me.

I've been lucky to do quite a few...both Sunningdales, both Berkshires, Swinley, all 3 9s at St Georges hill, Hankley Common, Foxhills, North Hants, Remedy Oak, Broadstone, Woodhall, Alwoodley, Ganton. All a bit special in their own way and always a great day out. Still think the great links are the very essence of the game though, think you're spoiled by having St Andrews as your bread and butter Super.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Dec 2020, 5:00 pm

I think it's what you're used to JAS. I play links most of the time but appreciate how much more aesthetically pleasing a heathland course is especially on a summer evening, the shelter provided by the trees, the well draining soil and the greens.
Sometime links just wears you down with the relentless wind or can just be boring when there's no real tariff for a bad drive.

Certainly from a matchplay point of view a heathland course is preferable and maintaining a course like that as part of your membership portfolio certainly benefits your game than if you go 100% links only as you have to be able to hit a target and not just slash it anywhere you like off the tee.

There's a lot of guys at St Andrews who can get it round in a very low score, transplant them to Panmure or Blairgowrie and they get nowhere near it.

super_realist

TM2K likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Fri 11 Dec 2020, 11:38 pm

I tend to agree with super, links golf week in, week out wouldn’t really do it for me for all the reasons he mentions...far too many links courses are revered and held in high regard with little justification in my opinion, purely because of the historical element they have and it’s almost deemed sacrilege by some to suggest otherwise or have a different view.
Don’t get me wrong, there’s a number of outstanding links tracks that truly are exceptional and warrant the hype (RCD, Dornoch, Saunton et al)as well as the more quirky types that often divide opinion and a fun, unique experience (predominantly thinking North Berwick, Cruden Bay ) quite unlike anywhere else.
It’s the more mundane places such as Hoylake that absolutely baffle me as to what all the fuss is about...?!? Completely featureless, bland, devoid of any real character and easy to see why it originally began as a racetrack and wouldn’t take much to do so again!! I know TOC has it’s critics who’d say it falls under that category and completely get why. Strip away everything else and imagine it as a relative newcomer like KB and it’d not be a shock to barely get a mention far less justify charging even a third of what they do now!! Saying that, to do so isn’t that simple or realistic when just being in and around town seemed to have a special kind of buzz to it. Nor I suppose particularly fair either as it’s all part of the package and plenty other venues earn plaudits for those little extra luxuries in an effort to set them apart as a complete experience. Guess it makes sense to play to your strengths rather than strive to be something you’re not.
Some of the newer clubs are often guilty of trying to be something they’re not or forcing an image of what they aspire to be and lose focus on the important things. Jas mentioned remedy oak previously and that’s got so much going for it to succeed but always seems like they lack identity or direction whenever I’ve been there...Dorset doesn’t get a lot of recognition as a destination but there’s a handful of slightly hidden gems well worth consideration and Poole/sandbanks is as nice as I’ve seen on the English coast

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat 12 Dec 2020, 11:48 am

Mac granted Belfry has little history was a potato field a few years ago but 30 minutes from home used to be something like £120 for 2 rounds and the hotel night out,Nightclub,spa too good to ignore.
I admit to prefer the excitement of going down a tree lined drive to Walton Sunningdale or Wentworth anticipating the day ahead. We discussed this a while back and within 40 minutes we can get to enjpy some very tasty courses.I just love Hollinwell Notts where the John Player was held back in the day.A lot of courses are good enough for the major comps but do not have the car parking hotels infrastructure so end up hosting English schoolboys or top amatuer events,Seacroft at Skegness is just fantastic but doesnt really have a car park and the clubhouse is tiny.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Sat 12 Dec 2020, 10:22 pm

Great shout...Hollinwell is right up there with the the Sunningdales and WH for me. Fantastic track that I’d guess isn’t anywhere close to being as pricey as the big Surrey courses

I’d put Aldwoodley in that bracket too if you’re ever in the Leeds area and have the time

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 16 Dec 2020, 2:14 pm

There aren't many good golfing areas in the UK or Ireland that people don't know about now. East Lothian, St Andrews, NE Scotland, Lancashire, Devon, Kent are all well beaten paths.

One area that is quite good - and relatively unused - is NE England. Slaley Hall, Close House, Brancepeth Castle are all good to play - really from April to November though. Rockliffe Hall is great (with an amazing 5* hotel too), again not in winter though. It's by a huge measure the longest course I have ever played. Of course you don't have to play it to the full length, but it's kind of fun once in a while to be right out of your comfort zone. Except for the 4 par threes, almost every hole is extensible to 500+ yards and some of them to 600+. By swapping tees on some holes, some can be 700+. The 16th is a par 5 that plays into the prevailing win, and can be 700 yards. Also in that area Seaton Carew and Cleveland are two excellent links courses.

Further north in Northumberland are Bamburgh and Dunstanburgh, two fun links tracks.

Did anyone mention Palm Springs in California? Loads of courses, including Indian Wells and Thunderbird, which was a Ryder Cup course years ago. Great to play there, but not in June, July or August.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 03 Jun 2021, 9:16 am

Not a multi round trip but heading off for a night away and playing Liphook this afternoon. First Top100 tick off the list for 2 years.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down