The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+18
Galted
Maine man
VTR
hampo17
sirfredperry
king_carlos
James100
guildfordbat
eirebilly
JDizzle
Duty281
Soul Requiem
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
KP_fan
msp83
Gooseberry
22 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 5 Empty Rest of the World

Post by Gooseberry Mon 11 Jan 2021, 7:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

Duty281 wrote:
JDizzle wrote:
Duty281 wrote:So the most likely scenario is an Australia/New Zealand final at Lord's.

There are many things wrong with the WTC - points system is convulsed and perhaps not particularly fair - but Test cricket at neutral venues is something worth getting excited about! Shame it is only one game.

Yeah, I can't personally say that I am a fan of the WTC. The points system doesn't work properly, fixtures are of unequal value and weighting, and boiling an entire test championship down to one solitary fixture to decide the winner doesn't seem right to me.

That said, I think that Australia and New Zealand are the two best test teams in the world right now and, if that is the final, it would be the right fixture. A shame, as you say, that it's only one game and not, at least, a three-game series.

The current system is a temporary fudge to get around the unforseen situation and make the best of whatever fixtures could be fulfilled.

Had it gone to plan all the teams wouldve played home and away fixtures and had equal opportunities to earn points. That hasnt been the case, but at the same time I dont think anyone can argue theres not a clear top 3 teams with England sat just behind them and the rest of the world a significant step back from that.

One off game may be a bit unfair in that the toss could well play a major part in deciding it, but its always been about providing a focused big televised event rather than genuine competition. However the remaining fixtures pan out we should end up with two teams who deserve to be in the final even if New Zealand have just played at home. A long series in a neutral country just isn't viable in the modern calendar or that interesting to anything other than the hardcore fans.

Gooseberry

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 5 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan 2021, 2:05 am

83/1 at lunch after an "interesting" last over featuring a six over third man Smile Novel tactic for playing for a draw ! And Tim Paine for once refrains from wasting a review on the last ball...

India's morning. Long way to go.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 2:07 am

Lunch time. India only 1 down still.

Pujara with 8 from 90 balls.

Gill with 64 from 117 balls. Including a 6 carved over the third man region in the final over before lunch.

Two very different approaches but thus far both doing their job well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 2:09 am

A brilliant battle in those last twenty minutes before lunch. Full credit to Cummins and Pujara for that intense contest. 

One down at lunch. 62 overs remaining. Tough to see Australia winning from here with a softer ball in play for the next 42 overs, and a real intense effort exhibited in hot conditions in that opening session, but still not impossible. We've certainly seen India collapse more than once this series, and I reckon the pitch is tougher than the present batsmen are making it look. Australia will need at least three wickets in the next session though.

India win? Well I think they're more than happy with the draw and the tied series, and wouldn't want to risk a sudden loss of wickets in search of quick runs - but if they're only one or two down at tea, they might chance it? Required rate around 4 at the moment.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 2:43 am

That first session was a classic case that India couldn't realistically put themselves in a winning position but could definitely have ended up in a losing one.

The ball will start softening and bowlers tiring quickly after tea, at which point Lyon will be very important. If these two can weather what will likely be tough spells from Cummins and Hazlewood straight after lunch they will be well set.

The India win feels unrealistic but if Gill bats another session scoring freely then who knows. This series has had a bit of everything and if Pant faces 100 balls he will usually score a similar number of runs!

After all the injuries and Kohli missing most the series I think India would settle for the drawn series down under and taking the trophy back home with them.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 2:51 am

I think I know what outcome Gill's looking for! Very risky stuff. Entertaining, but risky. For now, I don't think Australia will mind his approach too much, but if he's still there in an hour...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:00 am

Gill in that Starc over reminded me of Pietersen at the Oval in 2005. Sometimes players just need to go with their natural game, particularly when young and in high pressure situations. He is some talent.

I'm not sure I agree with Starc bowling ahead of Hazlewood after lunch here. He isn't in his best rhythm at all. I'd guess the Aussies want to rotate Cummins and Hazlewood so that one of them is bowling as much as possible. If neither are on the pressure may let up a bit.

Unless they take a wicket soon the draw just looks more and more likely though.

Queue Starc getting a hat-trick...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:01 am

100-1 after 42 overs

The hundred up and India will be very happy right now.

clap clap

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:03 am

Australia overdoing the short stuff now, like they did in Sydney. It works best sparingly, like in the mini-period before lunch. So many balls that India don't have to play at right now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:09 am

Duty281 wrote:Australia overdoing the short stuff now, like they did in Sydney. It works best sparingly, like in the mini-period before lunch. So many balls that India don't have to play at right now.
Expending so much energy for the quicks who are on their 4th Test on the trot as well.

Starc coming over the wicket is the right call in my opinion.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:19 am

Pujara is a very tough cricketer indeed.

Playing such an important innings for his team here. He hasn't looked comfortable all the time but I honestly think many other batsman would be struggling even more.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:23 am

Gill dominating the short ball. What a player he looks to be. 

Paine might be changing his thoughts soon from 'how do we win' to 'how do we not lose'.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:23 am

100 partnership up with Shubman Gill hitting a 3rd consecutive boundary. 6, 4, 4. Box office.

Watching these two completely different batsman each play their natural game under pressure is brilliant. The sort of contrasts that make cricket such a wonderful and varied sport.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:33 am

Bowling change works. Lyon scuppers Gill's charge to a maiden test ton, setting him up with the previous ball.

Australia have the lift they desperately needed.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:33 am

Gill gone for a fantastic 91. Huge wicket.

Lyon comes on and gets the breakthrough.

A real shame that Gill didn't go onto make a century.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:37 am

Pujara looking in trouble after taking yet another blow as well.

This one on his bottom hand and he reacted immediately as if it was a bad one. Getting your fingers really trapped on the bat handle like against quick bowling is really sore.

It would be an enormous blow to India if Pujara has to retire just after losing Gill.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:55 am

Plenty of action since lunch , eh ? Had to make do with radio in the car for most of that - pity , I enjoy watching Gill bat. And a pity he didn't get his deserved hundred but not to worry he will surely make a few in coming years thumbsup

Wicket at last for Lyon will give him a lift and Australia hope ... The later inevitable waste of a review for lbw not a big deal. Very hopeful try that was : if you gave that out in a club game you'd get lynched !

138/2 and still maybe nearly another fifty to go so this is by no means over yet.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:57 am

This Pujara innings is one of the bravest innings I've seen for a long time.

Engrossing stuff.

Wow, the first ball to really misbehave from Lyon there. Just exploded off a crack.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:57 am

king_carlos wrote:Pujara looking in trouble after taking yet another blow as well.

This one on his bottom hand and he reacted immediately as if it was a bad one. Getting your fingers really trapped on the bat handle like against quick bowling is really sore.

It would be an enormous blow to India if Pujara has to retire just after losing Gill.

Surely India can't get any more injuries !

Evil thought : if they get any more players crocked England might start fancying their chances in the upcoming tour devil

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 3:59 am

Pujara hit again (11 times, 2 to the helmet?). For all the talk of courage, and it certainly is courageous to stay out there, he has been utterly hopeless against anything short and is putting himself in repeated danger by taking his eye off the bouncer.

On the rest of the game, Lyon finding some sharp turn. Uneven bounce happening for the seamers. It's the type of wicket where three or four can fall very quickly in a heap. Australia have around 40 minutes to prise out at least two more, to give themselves a decent chance going into the evening.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:02 am

alfie wrote:Pity , I enjoy watching Gill bat. And a pity he didn't get his deserved hundred but not to worry he will surely make a few in coming years thumbsup

A few against England in the coming months, surely? Whistle

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:06 am

Duty281 wrote:
alfie wrote:Pity , I enjoy watching Gill bat. And a pity he didn't get his deserved hundred but not to worry he will surely make a few in coming years thumbsup

A few against England in the coming months, surely? Whistle
I fear so, yes. Gill batting well, Rohit on home turf, Kohli back, Rahane and Pujara are quality, Pant settling in. England will need to bowl a lot better.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:14 am

Getting darker, potential rain not far away. Cummins getting another go to try and break this partnership.

And he does make the breakthrough. Soft dismissal from Rahane. He was playing with the mentality of winning the test and being 'busy', similar to an ODI knock. 

Pant to the wicket now. Then the out-of-form Agarwal. Followed by the inexperienced and much weaker lower-order.

Last edited by Duty281 on Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:18 am

Out of the blue...Rahane gone ! That was a nothing shot...not like him at all.

Australia will be gathering now , smelling blood...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:18 am

Rahane gone!

He was just starting to wrestle the momentum back toward India as well.

The game swings again.

Brilliant cricket.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:19 am

Pant ahead of Agarwal as well. India are really going for this.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:43 am

Tea. 183-3, 63 overs bowled, 37 overs remaining if the weather doesn't intervene.

Australia will hopefully have 21 overs with the second new ball, the bulk of them likely from Cummins and Hazlewood, so India will need to bat solidly during these final overs before the new ball.

If they still have wickets in hand when the new ball comes then it will come off the bat faster though.

Fascinatingly poised. Just have to hope that rain doesn't strike.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:47 am

Few questions as tea approaches ...

Rahane did seem to be attacking , especially Lyon. Suggestive of an intent to push for the target if it seemed reasonable . But with his dismissal , does that plan continue ? Pant certainly suited to the role but do they want to risk it ? Tea now at 183/3 so another 145 needed.

Is the weather going to play a part ? Not seeing the "darker" Duty was referencing ...fluffy white clouds on my screen. Though it can boil up quickly here...

Aussie pace men have expended a lot of energy with the short stuff. The new ball may be the decisive factor so will they have the petrol left in the tank when it comes ? Green not playing a big part , again.

Two hours or so left to decide this enthralling series...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:49 am

Indian game plan is seemingly Pujara to hold one end and keep going for runs at the other

145 more in 38 overs......and if Pant falls soon /( as in next 10 overs)....India will drorp shutter with Agarwal and Pujara

However if Pant bats 20 more overs then....don't be surprised if shardul comes in thereafter.

Ind have played Lyon very well this series
and Starc has been ineffective......lost his radar

Aus down to 2 really potent bowlers

Last edited by KP_fan on Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:50 am

Brilliant final over from Cummins, just missing the edge on the penultimate ball.

India need 145. Australia need seven wickets. 37 overs left. The series going down to the last session. Fantastic sport.

It's getting really tough to bat out there, with appreciable turn and uneven bounce coming to the fore. Australia have a second new ball coming which they can use for a good period of time. I'd be astonished if India win from here, but it's difficult to call  between the Aussie win and the draw. Seven wickets does sound like quite a lot in 37 overs, however India's batting after these two isn't the best. But how much do Australia's bowlers have left in the tank? And will Pujara continue to defy the Australians?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 4:54 am

alfie wrote:Few questions as tea approaches ...

Rahane did seem to be attacking , especially Lyon. Suggestive of an intent to push for the target if it seemed reasonable . But with his dismissal , does that plan continue ? Pant certainly suited to the role but do they want to risk it ? Tea now at 183/3 so another 145 needed.

Is the weather going to play a part ? Not seeing the "darker" Duty was referencing ...fluffy white clouds on my screen. Though it can boil up quickly here...

Aussie pace men have expended a lot of energy with the short stuff. The new ball may be the decisive factor so will they have the petrol left in the tank when it comes ? Green not playing a big part , again.

Two hours or so left to decide this enthralling series...

It clouded over very briefly, and a small patch of rain was approaching on the radar, but it cleared quite quickly.

Any rain supposed to hit was going to be around morning/early afternoon, so it should be dry for the final chapter.

Duty281

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:00 am

This has been some test match, i have really enjoyed this.

The only thing annoying is the noise after every Nathan Lyon ball, it drives me mental. I used to hate it when they did that after every Warne ball as well.

I would love to see India chase this down, it would be a fitting end to this series.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:05 am

eirebilly wrote:This has been some test match, i have really enjoyed this.

The only thing annoying is the noise after every Nathan Lyon ball, it drives me mental. I used to hate it when they did that after every Warne ball as well.

I would love to see India chase this down, it would be a fitting end to this series.

Hit that mute button , eirebilly ! It keeps Warne quiet too Smile

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:11 am

I actually don't mind Warne as a pundit to be fair alfie and I like to hear what's happening in the middle.

I don't mind the odd bit of chatter but after every ball, even if it was rubbish is extremely annoying. It seems as if Paine is more focused on what he is going to say after every Lyon delivery rather than focus 100% on his keeping so that may actually help India at some stage Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:17 am

1 run in four overs after tea. It seems India are dropping anchor.

A draw in the circumstances would be an excellent achievement.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:26 am

Lyon brings a fielder up and gives it some air. Pant takes the bait and comes down for a swing and miss. Paine doesn't get a glove on the stumping chance.

That could be costly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:27 am

A Tim Paine missed stumping? My heart bleeds for him
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:31 am

Was a tough chance for Paine, to be fair. Think even if he had taken the ball, Pant would have grounded his bat in time.

Into the final 30 overs now. India look to be settling for a draw, which isn't surprising given the state of the series and what the ball is doing. Australia trying to muster one last charge.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:34 am

Duty281 wrote:Was a tough chance for Paine, to be fair. Think even if he had taken the ball, Pant would have grounded his bat in time.

Into the final 30 overs now. India look to be settling for a draw, which isn't surprising given the state of the series and what the ball is doing. Australia trying to muster one last charge.
It would have been tight I think.

But definitely a tough chance. Big turn and bounce, combined with the ball just missing an advancing batsman is tough. You completely lose sight of it between the pitch and the ball suddenly appearing feet from you. Really tough but Paine would expect to get a glove to it at least.

6 from Pant. Intent is still there. I reckon India might be thinking get to the new ball with wickets intact and 100-110 runs required. Then they can attack with the ball coming off the bat faster.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:39 am

Yep, Pant's suddenly picked it up again. Another poor over from Starc goes for 8 runs. 

119 to get in 28 overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:40 am

Starc looks like he's carrying a niggle. 8 runs from his first over back, I can't help but feel that Green would be a better holding option until the new ball. Or even throw Labuschagne the ball for a couple of overs to see if his leggies can nab a breakthrough.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:48 am

Still so very doable this for India. I am loving this thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:53 am

eirebilly wrote:Still so very doable this for India. I am loving this thumbsup
I've been engrossed all night. A couple of brief naps in the breaks that ran over but hardly missed a ball.

It's been a tough few weeks to be honest as small hospitality business owner with the new lockdown etc. An England win and India potentially pulling off a win in the fabulous Test match has been absolute wonderful distraction.

C'mon India!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:02 am

I still reckon the chase is a bit beyond them unless Australia bowl a load of rubbish with the new ball. But it is close enough that they may well be tempted to have a dash in the last hour , if they still have wickets in hand.
Which of course might bring them undone. Couple of quick wickets and they're into the tail. Sure , Washington and Thakur did a brilliant job in the first innings ; but they would still be under pressure if tasked with batting out the last fifteen overs against a new ball...

I'm sure Winviz has the draw nearly nailed on now . But in this series...you never know what is around the corner ! New ball in two more.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:07 am

Australia's hopes nearly vanished now - they need a Cummins special with the new ball to do the unlikely. They're probably thinking of the umpire not raising his finger all those hours ago for the LBW shout against Pujara. 

India's drawbridge will likely come up when Pant is out, but if he bats through..

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:10 am

20 overs. 100 runs, 7 wickets.

New ball taken.

Just brilliantly poised.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:13 am

king_carlos wrote:20 overs. 100 runs, 7 wickets.

New ball taken.

Just brilliantly poised.

Now it squeaky bum time for India.

What a test match thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:13 am

That's out! Cummins produces with the new ball to dislodge the courageous Pujara. 

Reviewed but looked pretty plumb to me...well only umpire's call. An incredibly thin umpire's call.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:13 am

Pujara gone. Oh my this could get very interesting.

Cummins does it for Australia.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:14 am

A wonderful innings. Pujara wasn't at his best but to bat that long whilst getting peppered is so admirable. Without that innings you'd wager this might be over already.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:16 am

Duty281 wrote:Australia's hopes nearly vanished now - they need a Cummins special with the new ball to do the unlikely. They're probably thinking of the umpire not raising his finger all those hours ago for the LBW shout against Pujara. 

India's drawbridge will likely come up when Pant is out, but if he bats through..

Well the drs margin went against Pujara then ! Unlucky to be given , I think ...the height looked dodgy and indeed it seemed it was only skimming the bails...but he's gone ...

And Australia will reckon they're in the hunt now. New ball , Agarwal is no Pujara , long tail...

No relaxing yet.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next