The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Winter of Cricket 2020/21

+16
hampo17
dummy_half
Dolphin Ziggler
Duty281
Mind the windows Tino.
Afro
Gooseberry
guildfordbat
king_carlos
JDizzle
Soul Requiem
msp83
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
KP_fan
Pal Joey
20 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

England's Winter of Cricket 2020/21 - Page 10 Empty England's Winter of Cricket 2020/21

Post by Pal Joey Thu 04 Mar 2021, 4:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Wake up to hear Swann doing an Aussie impression. Can this be over in two days again?

Is that what it was? Couldn't fool me... Smile

p.s. it was a 'nowhere in particular' accent.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

England's Winter of Cricket 2020/21 - Page 10 Empty Re: England's Winter of Cricket 2020/21

Post by KP_fan Sun 14 Mar 2021, 4:44 pm

For a batsman out of form
T20 stroke play can get feet and hand eye coordination going
Good to see kohli back
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

England's Winter of Cricket 2020/21 - Page 10 Empty Re: England's Winter of Cricket 2020/21

Post by KP_fan Sun 14 Mar 2021, 4:49 pm

That was more out than not out of Kohlis
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Mar 2021, 4:49 pm

Good stuff from Sam Curran today - really continuing to press his claim for that #7 spot in the side
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Mar 2021, 4:51 pm

That was out to my eye.

The game should be gone either way but Kohli being Kohli might have helped him there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 14 Mar 2021, 4:59 pm

Series alive...India showing they have all kinda fire power
Eng still favourites because they are a well oiled machine and India trying to find balance

Tom doesn't impress
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Mar 2021, 5:02 pm

Two very costly drops for England.

India's bowlers were excellent at the back end of the England innings then Kishan took the RR away from England and Kohli played a very good hand on this wicket. Pant of course did Pant things to score at a strike rate of 200.

This should be a very good series.

For England I'd guess that Turran will be dropped for Wood if fit or maybe Moeen for a bit of variety.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Mar 2021, 5:02 pm

Poor from England in the field this time, but we know that batting first on these pitches is tough.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Mar 2021, 7:47 pm

king_carlos wrote:Two very costly drops for England.

India's bowlers were excellent at the back end of the England innings then Kishan took the RR away from England and Kohli played a very good hand on this wicket. Pant of course did Pant things to score at a strike rate of 200.

For England I'd guess that Turran will be dropped for Wood if fit or maybe Moeen for a bit of variety.

If Wood isn't fit, then Moeen should come in for Turran. Bit of a matchup against the left handers, maybe an over in the powerplay...and adds batting depth. Turran and Jordan are just too similar to be part of the same attack now I think...(should be one or the other).

Also wonder if it might be worth England considering using Bairstow in the powerplay if they lose one of Roy/Buttler early. Malan as noted takes a bit to get going, and today it did feel like England kind of meandered through it...obviously hopefully Roy/Buttler make use of it, but do think it might be worth considering for a bit of flexibility (even could consider it with Stokes, considering the role he has played for Rajasthan the last year or two in the IPL with the bat).

Lovely batting from the Indians today - Kohli at his fluent best, Kishan showing his IPL form from last year (and appears to be a real star in the making), Pant as ever superb...and Sundar/Thakur bowled really well I thought.

Setup for a great series!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Mar 2021, 7:49 pm

One further thought, blasphemous though it feels Stokes is yet to do anything much in T20s for England. Averaging under 20 with the bat with no half centuries and nearly 40 with the ball at an economy of nearly 9. His domestic T20 stats are much better than that but still not outstanding. England could really do with him playing an innings or two in this series to help him settle a bit.

Ideally I think Stokes needs time to get in so would be batting higher up the order. With the top 4 we are currently fielding plus the possibility of Hales coming back in that doesn't feel too likely though.

A bit of a conundrum for England there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Mar 2021, 7:52 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

If Wood isn't fit, then Moeen should come in for Turran. Bit of a matchup against the left handers, maybe an over in the powerplay...and adds batting depth. Turran and Jordan are just too similar to be part of the same attack now I think...(should be one or the other).

Also wonder if it might be worth England considering using Bairstow in the powerplay if they lose one of Roy/Buttler early. Malan as noted takes a bit to get going, and today it did feel like England kind of meandered through it...obviously hopefully Roy/Buttler make use of it, but do think it might be worth considering for a bit of flexibility (even could consider it with Stokes, considering the role he has played for Rajasthan the last year or two in the IPL with the bat).

Lovely batting from the Indians today - Kohli at his fluent best, Kishan showing his IPL form from last year (and appears to be a real star in the making), Pant as ever superb...and Sundar/Thakur bowled really well I thought.

Mo is good against the lefties but the obvious ones for India are Kishan and Pant who both play spin very well indeed.

Malan usually does a good job of finding gaps in the powerplays I think. With fewer singles of offer a player with less power, but good placement should be able to do well there. His T20i record is outstanding as we know, personally I'd keep the top 4 as it is.

There are a lot of interesting match ups to keep this series very interesting that is for sure.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Mar 2021, 8:47 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

Mo is good against the lefties but the obvious ones for India are Kishan and Pant who both play spin very well indeed.

Malan usually does a good job of finding gaps in the powerplays I think. With fewer singles of offer a player with less power, but good placement should be able to do well there. His T20i record is outstanding as we know, personally I'd keep the top 4 as it is.

There are a lot of interesting match ups to keep this series very interesting that is for sure.

Not quite sure the stats bare out your second line Carlos (see below taken from Cricviz). You can also see why they want Buttler opening from this! Shocked Shocked Shocked

England's Winter of Cricket 2020/21 - Page 10 EwdbqCYWUAAxG2H?format=png&name=large
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Mar 2021, 9:54 pm

That's interesting cheers, Olly. A great average but not the strike rate you want from the powerplay. Whether batting lower would give Malan the time to get in and play the match winning innings he has done is the question though?

The talent in the top order is brilliant. Especially as I could see Hales returning to the England set-up over the summer - there seems more and more talk in that regard. Having Banton and Phil Salt as youngsters coming through behind them is great as well.

I'd guess Morgan's average there suggests that England are at least onto a winner with the skipper coming in later in the order. Even in tough batting conditions he seemed to settle much quicker than the rest of the England lineup today. Just a shame he could go on which was the case for the entire middle order. 3-6 crossed 20 but didn't reach 30.

king_carlos

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 15 Mar 2021, 4:53 am

The trouble with those stats , though , is that the whole power play is just 36 balls (plus wides) so even if the number three faces half of them (unusual !) Malan is predicted to make 20 while Bairstow would get 25... If they faced less , the difference also smaller.
An extra four or five runs is handy but surely not critical when measured against what the batsman does after he is settled in. And in truth all of England's t20 regulars are well capable of destroying opponents once set. What matters most , I think , is what best suits the individual batsman (where possible). Both in the situation where a wicket falls very early - or in the fifth over. And judging by recent figures , Malan seems to be thriving where he is.
Frankly I don't think it matters all that much what order these fellows play in . On a given day , any of them can play a match winning innings.
I agree this game was unusual in that so many players got settled and none managed to go ballistic from their "platform" in the way they generally do. It is t20 : not sure we should read much into a single game anyway.
Bowling likewise. I reckon it is always the more fallible of England's white ball disciplines (couple of fielding blemishes today notwithstanding) but again does the job more often than not. You could probably say any team's bowling resources look inadequate when they get monstered by a couple of good players in form. Not sure it would have made much difference if Wood or Moeen had played this one - though Stokes might not have bowled an over ! And that was only a disaster in hindsight... Who would predict in advance Sam Curran to be the most economical bowler ?

They will probably rotate the bowlers a bit in this series anyway...as they should. Different pitches , different opponents , ill timed injuries : need to be planning and experimenting for all.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Mar 2021, 11:27 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56400857

Indian match referee refuses to criticise the Indian cricketing authorities, and classifies the third test pitch as 'average'.

I didn't know a pitch where it's virtually impossible to bat on after four sessions, where Root can get 5/8, is what passes for 'average'.

Embarrassing behaviour from the match referee.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 15 Mar 2021, 12:12 pm

Duty281 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56400857

Indian match referee refuses to criticise the Indian cricketing authorities, and classifies the third test pitch as 'average'.

I didn't know a pitch where it's virtually impossible to bat on after four sessions, where Root can get 5/8, is what passes for 'average'.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/25/joe-root-says-fans-were-robbed-but-declines-to-criticise-pitch

Root too had declined to criticize the pitch and nor did anyone from ECB.
Root left it to ICC...and now ICC's Match Referee ( not BCCi's) has passed his verdict.

Root & ECB still have the opportunity to change their position and criticize the pitch
OR
Criticize ICC-Refree's Rating

If they do nothing ....case will be deemed closed amicably
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 15 Mar 2021, 1:30 pm

Disgusting decision.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Mar 2021, 10:11 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56400859

Closed doors for the final three T20s. And a pitch with greater turn expected for tomorrow, meaning Moeen is almost certainly going to be included, probably for T Curran.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 12:24 am

If Wood is fit I'd hope he comes back in as well for either Jordan or Surran. Jordan has been really consistent for this England team but then Surran offers the left-arm angle which is vital variation in this format.

I'm hoping Topley gets a couple of games in the series to strut his stuff. His touch more pace than Surran and steep bounce offers a different prospect, plus his yorkers are very tough to dig out.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 4:59 am

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56400857

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/25/joe-root-says-fans-were-robbed-but-declines-to-criticise-pitch

Root too had declined to criticize the pitch and nor did anyone from ECB.
Root left it to ICC...and now ICC's Match Referee ( not BCCi's)  has passed his verdict.

Root & ECB still have the opportunity to change their position and criticize the pitch
OR
Criticize ICC-Refree's Rating

If they do nothing ....case will be deemed closed amicably

Not really up to Root or ECB to complain about the Match Referee on pitch rating , is it ? He is there to make his ruling and that is effectively that.
It does seem a touch strange that a pitch like that can be called "average" : leads one to wonder what one would have to do to get a lesser rating , but it is what it is.

Stats show match referees are reluctant to rate pitches below average (apart from a handful of games , mostly in West Indies ) Nearly all pitches get average at worst. I reckon this one should certainly have drawn a below average rating at best : but I'm not employed by the ICC Smile

I do hope it doesn't become a precedent for allowing seriously dodgy pitches to pass muster all over though...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 16 Mar 2021, 6:12 am

alfie wrote:It does seem a touch strange that a pitch like that can be called "average" : leads one to wonder what one would have to do to get a lesser rating , but it is what it is.

bouncing & kicking off a length to seamers once of twice every over....and on D1 of the test
would be called Dangerous and lead mots likely to abdaonment
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 16 Mar 2021, 6:14 am

I think the T20 series will be won by one who shows he can win batting first
The pitch will reportedly be a spinning one today  ...whatever that means.
To me it means more a Red Herring then anything else.

Ind needs to find a way to get Jason Roy early....he's been a thorn in the flesh of india for as far as I can remember
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 8:00 am

KP_fan wrote:
alfie wrote:It does seem a touch strange that a pitch like that can be called "average" : leads one to wonder what one would have to do to get a lesser rating , but it is what it is.

bouncing & kicking off a length to seamers once of twice every over....and on D1 of the test
would be called Dangerous and lead mots likely to abdaonment

Well there are six pitch ratings...I think that would qualify for the lowest , ie "unfit". Smile

Not suggesting the pitch on which the recent Third Test was played was in that category (though I suppose some people might). But I would have thought "below average" a more reasonable assessment if "poor" was thought too extreme. If it really was "average" it means that term covers a very wide range...

Anyway , all done now . I've moved on.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:10 pm

England chasing this time as Morgan wins the toss. No Moeen in the side, though he was expected to be, instead the only change is Wood back in for T Curran. Rohit does come back for India.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:23 pm

A bit surprised at no Mo but great to see Wood back.

Winning the toss is of course vital in day-night T20s.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:32 pm

Rashid opens up the bowling and gets appreciable turn off the second ball. Even greater surprise Moeen wasn't picked.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:42 pm

Fantastic ball from Wood to underline a good early start. Best ball we'll see all day.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:46 pm

Excellent from Wood. He makes such a difference allowing Morgan to save overs of Rashid for the middle and Archer for the death.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:53 pm

Well, Mark Wood, as long as you're fit and able you're definitely in England's first XI come the World Cup. Another brilliant bit of bowling to dispatch the dangerous Rohit.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:56 pm

Having two quicks makes such a difference for this bowling lineup.

Excellent bit of bowling by Wood to follow Rohit.

That's a beautiful cover drive from Kohli to get off the mark though. Magnificent shot.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:58 pm

Kishan gone too. Good start by Jordan. Excellent from England.

I was expecting Surran to come on with the left-arm angle working well to the left-handed Kishan and also Kohli averaging less against left-arm seamers. I guess that's why Morgan earns the big bucks!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:58 pm

same script as T20-1 so far
can India change the script this time and get to 160 +
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:02 pm

Jordan complementing the initial efforts with a wicket maiden - that's three wicket maidens in three games for England now. First Jofra, then S Curran, now Jordan.

Tremendous start from England. Not many sides fielding first lose after taking three wickets in the PowerPlay of the opening innings.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:09 pm

Well that was an eventful power play...

Thought this was supposed to be the Ultimate Spinning Pitch tonight ? No Moeen , so England clearly don't think it will be...not that their judgment is too reliable Smile

But certainly the pace bowlers enjoyed the early overs. Wood excellent...missed him on Sunday.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:25 pm

That's a bizarre run-out, India trying to nick a cheap run and were caught out. Big breakthrough for England to get Pant, just as he and Kohli looked capable of building a decent platform for a late-innings charge.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:26 pm

Exactly what India didn't need there. Some average cricket all round with Buttler not gathering then the run out.

That feels like a case of Kohli calling himself through to the danger end knowing he can make it but not thinking about Pant getting to the 'safe end'.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:29 pm

That was a gift for England ! Just as Pant and Kohli were staging a good fightback , a dozy bit of running sees the keeper off.

Still some strong hitting types to assist Kohli ; but at 71/4 from 12 India are going to need a big finish...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:41 pm

Wood has utilised his lengths near-perfectly in this innings and is getting well rewarded - 3/13. India need some hitting from Pandya to get up to 140.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:41 pm

A third wicket for the excellent Wood. Iyer gone.

India need Kohli to bat through and Pandya to launch a few into orbit to get up to a total from here.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:52 pm

The edges on modern bats are getting ridiculous. That is twice in two games Kohli has collected a six virtually straight behind him...

Hundred up...four overs left.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 2:58 pm

Another good fifty for Kohli clap

Rather got hold of Jordan that over. He will want to finish better as this death bowling is a big part of his appeal.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:02 pm

Wow ! Kohli apparently boasts a 200 plus run rate after reaching fifty...and is demonstrating it again...

Six six four off Wood...could yet take India to a defendable total .

131/5 , two to go. Pandya should just give him the strike

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:08 pm

Wood's figures mucked up somewhat by going for 17 in his final over. Still the pick of the bowlers so far though.

Kohli is batting excellently though. He's keeping India in this.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:14 pm

the pitch has pace and bounce and ball holds into the pitch when bowled slow.

Ind has dragged themselves to some kind of respectability.
I would put it 70-30 in Eng's favor right now...but it will become 50-50 if they get Roy in single digits

Kohli's N.Os are amazingly high proportion and no wonder he averages 50+
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:14 pm

Correction, India don't need Pandya, because Kohli's played a spectacular hand...perhaps enough to make up for his running out Pant!

England have just about weathered the onslaught...exquisite catch from Archer to end the innings. After 18 overs keeping India below 160 looked tricky.

India will be pleased to make 156 from their earlier poor start, but it's still advantage England.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:15 pm

An excellent finish for India with Virat playing superbly in the circumstances.

157 to win for England. That batting lineup will back themselves every time chasing that but it's enough to defend with early wickets.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:16 pm

Whirlwind finish from India...fifty six off the last four.

Still looks under par as doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pitch ; but Kohli has given his team a chance. Some terrific late batting : England couldn't find anywhere to bowl to him to keep him quiet.

Rather good catch by Archer on that last ball , by the way.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:16 pm

Poor from Jordan again, aside from his fielding have never understood what he brings to the team.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:50 pm

Bit of a messy start from England. Roy never got settled at all ...No surprise to see him go.
Buttler really doesn't want to let Chalal settle Smile Couple of lovely blows down the ground...30/1 from four.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 4:00 pm

A really good PowerPlay for England. Testing batting conditions - there's been so much swing under lights with this new white ball that I'm wondering if Anderson should be recalled for the T20s! - and India needed to take advantage of that and get at least three wickets in the first six overs. Only getting one, and with the runs England have scored, means the away side are in a near-impregnable position.

Buttler at his destructive best, too, always a great sight!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Mar 2021, 4:01 pm

Guess Roy had played two good knocks and was due a bad day. Doesn't matter really as Buttler is clearly set on making up for a first ball exit the other night...43 off 17 so far and England have fifty seven up in the power play clap

If Jos stays in for a bit longer this might be an early finish...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next