The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro 16 needs to pull the plug on Premier Sports

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Pro 16 needs to pull the plug on Premier Sports - Page 6 Empty Pro 16 needs to pull the plug on Premier Sports

Post by bsando Thu 11 Mar 2021, 6:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Pro 16 needs to pull the plug on Premier Sports - Page 6 Error_10

If the Pro 16 wants to compete with the likes of the other top leagues in Europe and further abroad, they need to part ways with Premier Sports. The current Premier Sports contract with the Pro 14 finishes at the end of this season it still remains to be seen if this will be renewed or another broadcaster will takeover the rights.

Many fans have voiced their dislike of the online platform which after several seasons appears to be stable via Sky or Virgin sports packages but less so as an outright online viewing package. Coupled with annoying multiple login requirements to swap from devices and random lost connection error codes before, during and even when trying to watch on demand matches, it would be a real shame to see the new Pro 16 format begin in this manner.

Do you feel the upcoming Pro 16 competition would be a good addition to BT Sports or Sky Sports or even one of the streaming platforms like Amazon Prime?

Would it be better for a return to the domestic networks in a similar format as before?

Could CVC play a part in this decision with their recent investment in the Pro 14 league and 6N?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Pro 16 needs to pull the plug on Premier Sports - Page 6 Empty Re: Pro 16 needs to pull the plug on Premier Sports

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 27 Mar 2021, 7:41 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
BamBam wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Why not? You wanted to make a point didn't you lf4l? Be brave and spell it out.
Ill spell it out no bother at all, in fact I'd be more than delighted to but let's face in this day in age I'll be banned for life on the forum for it, in order to appease the eternally offended.

Why? You'll only get a ban for breaking the site rules. As a regularly banned poster, I can confirm I've only ever been banned when breaking rules, and it hasn't been for life yet.

Which rule do you think you'll be breaking by saying what "woke nonsense" you don't like, and explaining what "woke" is?

Its the ' dont be a racist pr**k' one.
Yeah cause these multi billion dollar corporations care so much about us.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Pro 16 needs to pull the plug on Premier Sports - Page 6 Empty Re: Pro 16 needs to pull the plug on Premier Sports

Post by LordDowlais Sun 28 Mar 2021, 12:28 pm

Sky are pulling the plug on their attempts for the Pro16, PS will continue but more games will be on Free to air channels BBC and S4C.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 28 Mar 2021, 12:41 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Sky are pulling the plug on their attempts for the Pro16, PS will continue but more games will be on Free to air channels BBC and S4C.
Why is that now? That must be a huge blow to the tv deal.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 28 Mar 2021, 12:41 pm

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/333909/sky-sports-pull-plug-on-pro16-deal/

I think this means BBC Wales and S4C will have the Welsh regional games, and the rest will be on PS.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Oracle Sun 28 Mar 2021, 1:19 pm

Will the league dramatically resurrect itself from death in Wales now?! Like a Phoenix from the flames! Attendances through the roof - Dragons v Zebre the hottest ticket in town! Better book in advance OK

😉 Hug Run
The Oracle
The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 28 Mar 2021, 1:22 pm

The Oracle wrote:Will the league dramatically resurrect itself from death in Wales now?! Like a Phoenix from the flames! Attendances through the roof - Dragons v Zebre the hottest ticket in town! Better book in advance OK

😉 Hug Run

I hope so. Yahoo

If the regions are back on free to air TV, more people will be watching them.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 28 Mar 2021, 1:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/333909/sky-sports-pull-plug-on-pro16-deal/

I think this means BBC Wales and S4C will have the Welsh regional games, and the rest will be on PS.
RTE are bidding for the rights too

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/rt%C3%A9-strong-contenders-to-take-over-as-primary-broadcaster-of-pro-14-rugby-1.4519173

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 28 Mar 2021, 1:27 pm

The Good news just keeps on coming. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 28 Mar 2021, 1:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/333909/sky-sports-pull-plug-on-pro16-deal/

Can you copy and paste the full article please?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 28 Mar 2021, 4:40 pm

With EirSport now out of the picture, RTE are joining forces with Premier Sport and TG4 to bid for the PRO16 rights with the inclusion of the SA teams now being seen as a positive development for promoting the sport. The deal will give rights to BBC to broadcast some matches in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, as well as S4C.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by The Oracle Sun 28 Mar 2021, 5:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Will the league dramatically resurrect itself from death in Wales now?! Like a Phoenix from the flames! Attendances through the roof - Dragons v Zebre the hottest ticket in town! Better book in advance OK

😉 Hug Run

I hope so. Yahoo

If the regions are back on free to air TV, more people will be watching them.

I was being sarcastic :eye roll: The league and ‘the game’ will be the same as it was before it went to Premier Sports. Possibly worse if the tv money is not as good. We’ll have to wait to see what the breakdown of any deal is I guess. But for all the doomsday scenarios painted previously (some by you LD) the game and the league absolutely did not die in Wales as predicted.
The Oracle
The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 28 Mar 2021, 5:10 pm

The Oracle wrote:But for all the doomsday scenarios painted previously (some by you LD) the game and the league absolutely did not die in Wales as predicted.

Why do you always do this ? It's nonsense and you know it is.

The Pro14 is nowhere near where it was in Wales before it went onto PS. You live here, so you must see that, surely ?

If PS was continued to have the league we would be up the creek without a paddle. I could not be happier that the league will be accessible to to more people now, I really can't. If you cannot see the wood for the trees, then that's your problem, not mine.OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Oracle Sun 28 Mar 2021, 5:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Oracle wrote:But for all the doomsday scenarios painted previously (some by you LD) the game and the league absolutely did not die in Wales as predicted.

Why do you always do this ? It's nonsense and you know it is.

The Pro14 is nowhere near where it was in Wales before it went onto PS. You live here, so you must see that, surely ?

If PS was continued to have the league we would be up the creek without a paddle. I could not be happier that the league will be accessible to to more people now, I really can't. If you cannot see the wood for the trees, then that's your problem, not mine.OK  

The league is exactly the same as before. None of the Welsh teams have dropped out. None have gone bankrupt due to dwindling support and attendance numbers. None of the regions are struggling to find players due to the lack of exposure and no youngsters taking up the game. I can only speak from the Dragons point of view but since going with Premier Sports our budget has increased and we’ve become far more competitive. That increased TV money has trickled down to the regions (as it should) and the Dragons player budget has now gone from around £3.5m to something like £5m I think. We’re now able to put out a team with 10 current internationals. Unheard of a few years back. More importantly, players are re-singing rather than getting their face in the shop window and leaving for a bigger team at the end of their contract. So the Dragons, as I see it, have improved since the move to pay TV. Crowds (pre-Covid) did not change. The only difference is that YOUR viewing experience has changed and so you think the whole league is about to go under.

Now, if BBC and S4C (same thing really) are able to table a bid that allows the regions to get the same or better money as now then that’s great. But it would be a massive turnaround given they were outbid last time. So can we say confidently that the teams’ TV income will be preserved going forward? If not then it’s possible this could be a negative for the regions and we’ll be in a situation like previously where we struggled to compete and lose our players to richer nations.
The Oracle
The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 28 Mar 2021, 6:05 pm

The Oracle wrote:Now, if BBC and S4C (same thing really) are able to table a bid that allows the regions to get the same or better money as now then that’s great. But it would be a massive turnaround given they were outbid last time.

Please show me the evidence that BBC were outbid ?

The Oracle wrote:The league is exactly the same as before

Delusional.

You know, I know, and most of the Welsh public know. The league does not have the support it once did in Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 28 Mar 2021, 7:27 pm

BBC were outbid by dint that they withdrew from the last TV rights negotiation when they saw what Premier Sports were putting on the table.

This time round, RTE/Premier Sport/TG4 are putting together a bid and are proposing to have more FTA games on BBC for Scot/NI/Wales. BBC will split games with SC4.

The overall TV rights are greater than last time with the addition of 2 extra teams from SA and their putting £10m in the pot, up from £6m.

Support for PRO14 has been dying in Wales because a large part of the fanbase wants to have an Anglo-Welsh league and therefore, no matter what is put on the table, they won't support it.

In addition, they think the "wealthy" Irish teams makes the Championship uncompetitive and it will remain that way until either the Irish teams' budgets are cut or else the WRU give the Welsh teams more money.

In addition, some also think the "league" is run by the Irish for the Irish. They also think Irish refs cheat or are inept, and are always favouring the home team in Ireland.

All in all, it would be much better if the Welsh regions were playing in an Anglo-Welsh league with much better TV, refs, finances, and crowds.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

thebandwagonsociety likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Mar 2021, 7:57 am

Pot Hale wrote:BBC were outbid by dint that they withdrew from the last TV rights negotiation when they saw what Premier Sports were putting on the table.

No.

The BBC made a significant offer for the Welsh regional games, but the league wanted to sell the whole package. I said then, and I will say now, PS will not offer the same a second time around as they will not get the subscribers they are expecting.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 29 Mar 2021, 10:56 am

What is CVC's strategy for tv revenue? Who are their partners?

As part of the next tv deal, can they make a conscious effort to control and push out online content, timely game highlights, online media content. There are so many parts of this that are prehistoric at the moment.

Both UK and Ireland are running up a bill because of some kind of pandemic.  A bill that will need to be paid. Are the state broadcasters naive in bidding for sport with an eye on whats coming down the tracks? Or is this a cynical play by those in RTE/BBC to make multi-million euro/pound multi-year commitments that force the government to keep funding to secure their fat-cat over-paid jobs?  Those a$$hole$ would sign to broadcast bowls if they had the chance.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 29 Mar 2021, 11:27 am

Is the league dying in Wales.  I would be fairly sure every up and coming player and their family are hoping their son plays for one of the Regions not one of the local teams.
I can't see young people having pictures of local players up on their wall but are all regional players.

Among a certain generation in certain areas I am sure interest in the Regions is dying.  Same in Ireland.  But among the younger generation the Regions are growing in support compared to the local clubs which is why the local clubs have seen a massive drop in fans while the Region reflects the success on the field.

When crowds come back expect Ospreys and Dragons to have higher attendances to reflect their improvement on the field.

If the league needs to be free in order for it not to die in Wales then maybe it should die.  Though the 30+k who attend games each season plus buy merchandise might disagree with you.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 29 Mar 2021, 12:48 pm

A few journalists wrote that Premier outbid the BBC, so it is easy to see why people take that to be the case. I will provide one example here.

The National Media of Wales wrote:Q: What was the deciding factor that saw them win the rights over the BBC?

A: Not to put too fine a point on it, it seems to be money.

The BBC tendered a bid which covered BBC Wales, Northern Ireland and Alba, jointly with S4C, and they have gone on record as saying it was “a significantly increased financial bid”.

My understanding is their existing deal involved them paying around £4.5m a year.

So you can make your own guesses over what a significant increase would be.

Yet, nevertheless, it seems as though Premier Sports offered more and the PRO14 organisers have decided to go with them.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/full-story-behind-bbc-losing-14376276

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 29 Mar 2021, 2:49 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:BBC were outbid by dint that they withdrew from the last TV rights negotiation when they saw what Premier Sports were putting on the table.

No.

The BBC made a significant offer for the Welsh regional games, but the league wanted to sell the whole package. I said then, and I will say now, PS will not offer the same a second time around as they will not get the subscribers they are expecting.

It doesn't matter if BBC made significant offer for Welsh regional games. They couldn't/wouldn't bid for the whole comp against Premier Sports bid. That's what the shareholder unions wanted at the time - WRU, IRFU and SRU.

As I stated above, Premier Sports are putting in a bid along with RTE and TG4, and are agreeing with FTA rights to BBC to show some matches in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. BBC Wales will split with SC4 presumably. Which matches will be on FTA remains to be seen. It's what the overall package comes to in value is what matters ultimately.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 29 Mar 2021, 7:12 pm

I can believe someone is trying to debate that Premier weren't the highest bid last time for the UK.

I guess I should put in a bid just for Munster games (€1000 should cover it) and tell everyone I was robbed because I bid on imaginary rights that weren't actually being put out to tender.  I will then say rugby is dying in the province because my bid wasn't accepted.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 29 Mar 2021, 9:13 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
BamBam wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Why not? You wanted to make a point didn't you lf4l? Be brave and spell it out.
Ill spell it out no bother at all, in fact I'd be more than delighted to but let's face in this day in age I'll be banned for life on the forum for it, in order to appease the eternally offended.

Why? You'll only get a ban for breaking the site rules. As a regularly banned poster, I can confirm I've only ever been banned when breaking rules, and it hasn't been for life yet.

Which rule do you think you'll be breaking by saying what "woke nonsense" you don't like, and explaining what "woke" is?

Its the ' dont be a racist pr**k' one.
Yeah cause these multi billion dollar corporations care so much about us.

Oh mate, you do realise that the footballers decided that they wanted to take the knee, not Sky? Wilfried Zaha is one who has decided not to, and that is ok with all involved too.

I just don’t understand why visibly opposing racism for 5 seconds causes such strong reactions in so many (presumably white) people. You haven’t lived the experience of black people, if black players and their white team mates want to make a visible demonstration, why are so many noses bent out of shape? I’m of an Asian background, I can relate to some but not all of the issues but the least I can do is support the cause however I can

I’m not singling you out, you just engaged with the conversation. Others on here have just thrown in comments about kneeling when talking about England’s poor performances, as if it’s made a huge difference

BamBam

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 30 Mar 2021, 9:41 am

Premier Sports doubled the money

From Walesonline

'The combined value of the new deal to the league, plus the separate deals in Ireland and South Africa, is understood to be around £30m. This represents a 100% increase in revenue in the past three years and will mean a financial boost for each of the Welsh regions.'

Anyone suggesting the BBC came close to that is dealing in fake news

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum